What are peoples backup plans for Covid testing, I don't appear to have any available in my area

cgolf1

I am wondering what people are planning for backup Covid test? Here in WI the only rapid option available is the Abbot 'IdNow' test which is a nucleic acid test and not an antigen test, so I don't think that would be accepted. Their PCR tests are shipped to NC the night that they are taken, so with the testing crunch now, I don't have a lot of faith that would come back in time. 

So we did order a 2 pack of the tests from Celebrity, but as a just in case do we order a second 2 pack in case one comes back as inconclusive since we have no local options that are acceptable?

11 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am wondering what people are planning for backup Covid test? Here in WI the only rapid option available is the Abbot 'IdNow' test which is a nucleic acid test and not an antigen test, so I don't think that would be accepted. Their PCR tests are shipped to NC the night that they are taken, so with the testing crunch now, I don't have a lot of faith that would come back in time. 

So we did order a 2 pack of the tests from Celebrity, but as a just in case do we order a second 2 pack in case one comes back as inconclusive since we have no local options that are acceptable?

Celebrity accepts the ID Now tests. I used one to board my Summit sailing in November. I have one of those scheduled again for my sailing next week.

• Thanks 1

Here is the language from Celebrity's FAQ:

Abbott Brand Tests

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. They must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).

Edited by JamieLogical

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Celebrity accepts the ID Now tests. I used one to board my Summit sailing in November. I have one of those scheduled again for my sailing next week.

What is crazy is that their site is wrong because it states antigen or PCR. Thanks much and we will schedule that as primary and use the celebrity kits as backup.

Edited by cgolf1

Just now, cgolf1 said:

What is crazy is that their site is wrong because it states antigen or PCR. Thanks much and we will schedule that as primary and use the celebrity kits as backup.

I think they are just over-simplifying with their "antigen or PCR" line, because those are the terms most people know. ID Now is a NAAT test. All PCR tests are also NAAT tests. But not all NAAT tests are PCR. What they *should* say is that they accept "antigen and NAAT" tests, but most people don't know what a NAAT test is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

FYI, I just did a quick search on CVS's site and the WI sites do have the Rapid-result Antigen test. CVS usually allows you to make an appoint 13 days in advance and just now looking there were plenty of times available at the stores, I looked up. As a back up you have the Celebrity eMed TeleHealth Abbott test. If you do both of these I think you set. The third backup would to have the test done at the FLL airport on arrival.

That would be like a man wearing wearing both a belt and suspenders with his pants 😂.  

We used the Abbott ID Now test a couple weeks ago for our last cruise.  Walgreens allows you to make an appointment 7 days in advance.  So we made two appointments at two different Walgreens--one for two days before boarding and one for one day before boarding.  When the first test came back negative (it took about 15-20 minutes to get the results) we cancelled the second.

I ordered 6 from EMed yesterday…delivery shows tomorrow. $180 approx. total including shipping.  Wife and I have 2 cruises this year (March & September), I figure we will need them. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

We used the tests from eMed for our October cruise and had CVS appointments as a back-up.  Tests worked fine, which was a good thing since CVS cancelled our appointments 2 hours before we were scheduled due lack of tests.

For our upcoming February cruise we ordered the 6 pack from eMed.  We will use 2 and on the  off chance we open one that is defective we have 4 others on hand.  We have another cruise in April and  1 in October.  Although we are hoping by October testing won’t be required.  

Good ol' Wisconsin. You must live in the same area I do. No good internet (unless you pay Elon Musk, which I do, haha!), no close grocery stores, no quick easy covid testing sites 😉 

We ordered the proctored tests, hopefully no issues with those but may try for a back-up plan somewhere in Green Bay before flying out.

My list, based on options that are available to me as of now:

PRIMARY - Abbott at-home proctored test

BACKUP #1 - CVS rapid antigen

BACKUP #2 - local urgent care

BACKUP #3 - Walgreens

BACKUP #4 - test at terminal (if available)

BACKUP #5 - test at airport (if available, DTW doesn't test)

• Like 1

We had a late November cruise which left our testing days as Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday.  Those were also our travel days.  🥴

So our best chance was 

Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services for Travel 

It worked great.  So this morning I ordered 9 more for a March family cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chippytoes said:

Good ol' Wisconsin. You must live in the same area I do. No good internet (unless you pay Elon Musk, which I do, haha!), no close grocery stores, no quick easy covid testing sites 😉 

We ordered the proctored tests, hopefully no issues with those but may try for a back-up plan somewhere in Green Bay before flying out.

The walrgreens rapid test is our backup or primary now, can't decide which order. Thankfully we have plenty of walgreens around us. Once I found out the non antigen IDnow tests are legit that made it easier. I wish Celebrity would make that clear on the main page so that those of us searching for test sites could do so properly. Thankfully CC has been very helpful

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chippytoes said:

The first time we used the proctored BiMax test I ordered 3.  1 each for both of us and 1 to use for familiarization.  I didn't want to go into it in the wee hours of Thanksgiving and run into problems.  Worked like a charm so we'll use them again for our March family cruise.

• Like 2

I ordered a 6 pack from EMed with 24 hour delivery.    I may have to use one for a personal test without monitoring but could not find any.    I will need all 6 through August so thought I would get them early. 

3 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

The walrgreens rapid test is our backup or primary now, can't decide which order. Thankfully we have plenty of walgreens around us. Once I found out the non antigen IDnow tests are legit that made it easier. I wish Celebrity would make that clear on the main page so that those of us searching for test sites could do so properly. Thankfully CC has been very helpful

For me I can not book any Walgreens for the next 2 weeks.   Been checking daily.   CVS is even worse as you have to individual check a box  for each site and date combination only to be told nothing available.   3000 clicks later nada. 

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

For me I can not book any Walgreens for the next 2 weeks.   Been checking daily.   CVS is even worse as you have to individual check a box  for each site and date combination only to be told nothing available.   3000 clicks later nada. 

Here both Walgreen's and CVS start booking 2 weeks out.  I don't sleep much lately so I'd log in a few minutes past midnight on the first night.  Now we go with the home test. 

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I ordered a 6 pack from EMed with 24 hour delivery.    I may have to use one for a personal test without monitoring but could not find any.    I will need all 6 through August so thought I would get them early. 

If you mean the BiMax test there were some issues with expiration dates a while back.  Most lots got extended but I still check 'em.  But you probably know that.  🙂

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Here both Walgreen's and CVS start booking 2 weeks out.  I don't sleep much lately so I'd log in a few minutes past midnight on the first night.  Now we go with the home test. 

Is that Midnight Eastern or is it by time zone?    If eastern it is only 9PM my time.   I really haven't played the game yet.

One of my neighbors on our community forum told me a trick.   There is a clinic locally that has appointments available about 10 days out and accept credit cards.   They told me if I have an appointment for a future date and then just show up today on a drive up basis they will take you.   I'll have to give it a try.

3 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

If you mean the BiMax test there were some issues with expiration dates a while back.  Most lots got extended but I still check 'em.  But you probably know that.  🙂

Yea the BinaxNow tests.   The current posts I've read indicate the ones currently being received have an expiration date with extension valid through the end of 2022.      I decided to take the risk and will report back on what expiration date is on the boxes.

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Is that Midnight Eastern or is it by time zone?    If eastern it is only 9PM my time.   I really haven't played the game yet.

One of my neighbors on our community forum told me a trick.   There is a clinic locally that has appointments available about 10 days out and accept credit cards.   They told me if I have an appointment for a future date and then just show up today on a drive up basis they will take you.   I'll have to give it a try.

I am Eastern but I would expect it to be by time zone.  Only one way to find out.

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yea the BinaxNow tests.   The current posts I've read indicate the ones currently being received have an expiration date with extension valid through the end of 2022.      I decided to take the risk and will report back on what expiration date is on the boxes.

That's good.  Those I got in August actually had an exp date of 9/30.  After my BP settled down I found out they'd been extended to 12/31.

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is crazy.  In Southern Arizona we have 2 local walk up sites plus testing at the airport.  Then two County sites with appointments as on Monday at three days.  Also several sites handing out free kits.  Sure is different here.

Agree Jim, when we were getting vaccinated so long long ago.  I simply went along with a person who had an appointment.   They vaccinated me as well and gave a follow up.for 2nd Vax