The Daily for Sunday 01/16/2022

richwmn

Good evening, all! Yet again, the day is about over before I have a chance to,get on here.

I have just started reading a novel about dragons, and definitely appreciate them. I have also seen the dragons on Komodo Island in Indonesia. While not as big as fictional dragons, they can still reach a fair size, eat flesh, and can smell blood from five miles away. When one swung  it’s head and looked me right in the eye, my faith in our guide with his forked stick as protection evaporated completely! 
D81155F2-AE9E-483C-9FE7-2FA584E134AC.thumb.jpeg.4fdc876baed9f1fe1ef7cc9121f4db4e.jpeg

F318E779-6020-4FCF-AB3D-D3338B5D9CCF.thumb.jpeg.8a85edd8425b842f18cd6c8b71f66a1f.jpeg

We were at DH’s cousins place so he could help her with some computer stuff. Once we got home, I put together a botanical print shirt with some rehydrated bamboo leaves and pine needles. It is now steaming away. It’s a test for a technique I want to try for DD’s birthday present. Fingers crossed!

As always, continued prayers for @kazuJacqui, Jose, Marley, and Mikki, and all else who need them.

And yes, today was Sunday! I hope all those both on and off a BHB enjoyed it!

02DEAB3D-5412-4D59-8266-1199D4719BE3.thumb.jpeg.885638394b8368430e127115ef7e5037.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 19

@XBGuy   This is exactly what I needed to know, You sir, are my hero for the day.  I am going to copy your response, email it to myself, and then edit out what I don't want my bosses to know,  I am going to tell them that a friend emailed me info.  I hope that is OK with you.  Thank you!

Hugs!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Thanks for asking. The Christmas pudding made with real, fresh, butcher’s suet was wonderful! It tasted exactly like I remember my mother’s Christmas puddings tastings. It was a big hit with the family.

Also, I couldn’t find enough Candied peel, so I used oranges and lemons and made my own. Wow, does that ever make a difference! I’ll use other store bought fruit in the future, but never again store bought peel. 

Oh, I'm so glad it turned out great!  Next year, I'm gonna have a talk with my butcher.  I put together a good setup for steaming puddings, but my ingredients have not been right.  It's also interesting that you made the peel.  A good friend of mine makes it a lot.  I have not tried yet.  We bought some in Dubrovnik from a local lady and it was delicious.  I know it's not hard to make -- just another thing to do.  Somebody here -- I think Vanessa -- mentioned nuts.com as a source for fruit for fruit cake.  I have ordered candied cherries and pineapple from them and they are definitely a cut above what is in our local grocery.  They may have the peel as well.  Anyhow, thanks for responding.  On the to-do list for next year!  😊

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Oh, I'm so glad it turned out great!  Next year, I'm gonna have a talk with my butcher.  I put together a good setup for steaming puddings, but my ingredients have not been right.  It's also interesting that you made the peel.  A good friend of mine makes it a lot.  I have not tried yet.  We bought some in Dubrovnik from a local lady and it was delicious.  I know it's not hard to make -- just another thing to do.  Somebody here -- I think Vanessa -- mentioned nuts.com as a source for fruit for fruit cake.  I have ordered candied cherries and pineapple from them and they are definitely a cut above what is in our local grocery.  They may have the peel as well.  Anyhow, thanks for responding.  On the to-do list for next year!  😊

Yes, that was me that mentioned nuts.com for some of the dried fruits for my holiday German fruit and nut bread. The source of the recipe, daringgourmet.com, has a recipe for making your own candied lemon and orange peel on the website. She says you'll never go back to store bought if you make it. But I had too much to do, and got some from nuts.com; it's way better than the stuff in the grocery store.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Today’s theme - canines🐕🦮🐩🐕‍🦺

CC542ED1-7613-4D17-BB55-2EBC2EAEC138.jpeg.85164cad9ed295e479d0df059c4e447e.jpeg

436F348E-DA90-4F56-8915-2ABE4C5DA863.jpeg.c2ca53330240dfd98afdbc26abcb315c.jpeg

2D50E89B-A116-4E32-8B55-A64AADBADB6E.jpeg.80824639ccf1faa50f0cdcf6169da529.jpeg

Gotta tell you...the jokes hit home today.  I'm in negotiation and interview process right now for the fanciest little Pomeranian on the planet.  We are a Pommie family and I hope that good boy comes home with me.  Our prior one seriously had the paws that heal and saw me through some difficult times.  Now I'm in pretty good shape health-wise, but the lady in the mirror...nothing quite like that unconditional love.  😍  🤷‍♀️

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Yes, that was me that mentioned nuts.com for some of the dried fruits for my holiday German fruit and nut bread. The source of the recipe, daringgourmet.com, has a recipe for making your own candied lemon and orange peel on the website. She says you'll never go back to store bought if you make it. But I had too much to do, and got some from nuts.com; it's way better than the stuff in the grocery store.

What a great website, Vanessa.  I bookmarked it.  I hope others take a moment to check it out.  Great recipes for We Who Wish We Could Travel.  Thanks for mentioning it!  

• Like 6

A quick hello and good night!  Been a busy day.  We are back in Vancouver ready to help with the grands this week.  Tomorrow we have a bike ride planned with them as there is no school and sun is forecasted.  May be the only sunny day.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.  Many prayers to those on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.  

Stay well and safe everyone.  

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Joy I can so picture you doing this!  And good that you were able to get your original seats back. 

You deserve a day off after your full day of traveling. I hope you are able to relax when you get home. Did you arrange for someone to pick you up at the airport?

Another story: we got a call when we were in Grand Turk from our airport driver. He fell and broke his foot in 2 places and couldn't do the pick up. So he called a few friends, one of them our friend as well, and she told him she'd pick us up! And there she was waiting for us!

• Like 9

14 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The power of prayer!  So glad the pilot saw you praying, and that you got your first class seats again.  Can you imagine what the stand by people thought??

Sandi we were very blessed. The agent said she was shocked when the Captain said to reopen the door. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sandi we were very blessed. The agent said she was shocked when the Captain said to reopen the door. 

I know, because they never do that!  As my son's MIL always says "God loves me" and in this case that means you!

Once I went on a cruise with my DD and her DH and four kids, to the Caribbean.  That way I could stay in the cabin with the 3 older kids and she and her DH could be next door with their toddler.  I splurged with my air miles and flew first class from St. Louis to FLL on Delta, which meant I flew through Atlanta on the way home after the cruise.  Due to those daily horrible thunderstorms in FLL, the workers outside delayed the flight over an hour until the lightning had stopped.  So my connection in Atlanta was scheduled to leave right when my FLL flight arrived.  As we taxied to the gate, I called my DDIL and asked her to see if there were any later flights I could get because no doubt I'd missed my scheduled flight.  (I wish I'd had a Delta app back in those days).  She said "OMG your flight is coming into the gate right across the hall from your next flight!"  When the door opened I jumped up from row 2 and dashed up the jetway, across the hallway and saw the door was still open at my next flight!  The gate attendant said you are so lucky that our printer is giving us problems!  They were delayed 10 minutes because they couldn't print the passenger manifest when they were supposed to.  I ran onto the plane and plopped myself down in my first class seat with a big sigh of relief.  Two minutes later the doors were closed and we were ready to go.  Of course my luggage couldn't run as fast as I did, so it didn't arrive with me, but who cares?!  I didn't miss my flight!  If I'd been in coach I'd never have gotten off my first plane in time to make that connection.  God loves me!😇

• Like 9

21 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

We had tornado warnings earlier this AM, a couple hit Ft. Myers and did quite a bit of damage to some manufactured homes about 30 miles south of us.

Why is it that it seems tornadoes and floods zero in on mobile home parks?

17 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Well over an hour delayed due to nasty weather at FLL. Made it to Detroit and a helper literally RAN all the way to the next leg.

The aircraft closed 5 minutes before and they gave away our 1st row, 1st class seats.

The agent said they could not reopen the doors. I went to the window and waved at the pilots. They waved back. I gave them prayer hands. They asked the agent what was up. She said we were late due to delayed flight from FLL.

Captain told her to open the doors and let us in! Since there was juggling around since they gave away our seats, we got our seats back and the stand by people were relocated.

Thank you Lord!!

17 hours ago, rafinmd said:

That pilot deserves a medal.

Roy

This is so refreshing to hear. Glad you made it. Reminds me of a story @Tapitold several years ago.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@XBGuy   This is exactly what I needed to know, You sir, are my hero for the day.  I am going to copy your response, email it to myself, and then edit out what I don't want my bosses to know, 

[Eye roll emoji]

I am going to tell them that a friend emailed me info.  I hope that is OK with you. 

That is perfecly fine,  🙂