Transportation to Cape Liberty Port

Virtopia

I'll be sailing on the Anthem on 1/31 but will be flying in one day before and staying in the SpringHill Suites. I've sailed out of NJ before but it's been a few years and previously stayed in the Country Inn & Suites, which I didn't enjoy.

Is this a good hotel? I'll be traveling solo and looking for something that's comfortable for the one night. Also, is the best way to travel to the port using Uber/Lyft?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Virtopia said:

I'll be sailing on the Anthem on 1/31 but will be flying in one day before and staying in the SpringHill Suites. I've sailed out of NJ before but it's been a few years and previously stayed in the Country Inn & Suites, which I didn't enjoy.

Is this a good hotel? I'll be traveling solo and looking for something that's comfortable for the one night. Also, is the best way to travel to the port using Uber/Lyft?

Thanks in advance!

I assume you're staying at the Springhill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport located on routes 1&9 .

I haven't stayed there so I can't comment on the quality of the hotel, but you should be aware of the fact that there are no restaurants in the hotel so for dinner you're either going to need food delivered  or find your way to a local restaurant. Springhill Suites does have a complimentary breakfast buffet.

Uber/Lyft would be the best way to get to the port.

Yes, that's the one.

Thank you for letting me know that no food options are in the area. Do you know if the restaurants are walking distance? My flight gets in early evening so don't need anything major - a Subway would be perfect actually.

Also, have reactivated my Lyft to get to the airport. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Virtopia said:

Yes, that's the one.

Thank you for letting me know that no food options are in the area. Do you know if the restaurants are walking distance? My flight gets in early evening so don't need anything major - a Subway would be perfect actually.

Also, have reactivated my Lyft to get to the airport. Thanks!

There's nothing I can think of that's nearby and It's not possible to walk in the area . The hotel is on a major divided highway across the road from the airport. It's possible you can walk over to the adjacent Courtyard by Marriott which I think used to have a restaurant but I'm not sure if it still does because the pandemic has led to a lot of restaurant closures.

I’d be prepared to do Uber Eats or some other delivery. I’d check with the hotel on food service options. Haven’t done a lot of travel lately, but it’s been pretty random as to what’s available. I stayed at a SpringHill in Manhattan in October, and they had no breakfast service, for instance. It’s a little unpredictable. 

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If a sandwich gets it done, you could also just pick one up at the airport airside on arrival. 

This thought crossed my mind and I probably will end up doing this to make things much easier.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, Virtopia said:

I'll be sailing on the Anthem on 1/31 but will be flying in one day before and staying in the SpringHill Suites. I've sailed out of NJ before but it's been a few years and previously stayed in the Country Inn & Suites, which I didn't enjoy. Is this a good hotel?

To rate the hotel as "good" is rather subjective, for there are so many criteria to use. The hotel itself I am certain will be sufficiently comfortable. But you will be a prisoner of the hotel given that it is completely surrounded by an expressway and a highway . . . it might be legal to walk along U.S. 1 & 9, but doing so would put your life at risk. (Ironically, perhaps, on the other side of the expressway is literally a state prison.) If you're only staying the night, then you will be able to make do with the hotel restaurant or delivery. Here's a suggestion for delivery: Campino Restaurant (it is Portuguese, about six minutes away, and Uber Eats delivers). But if you have the full day there, then you might be disappointed in not having much to do nearby. And for getting to the port the next day, the lack of any walking facilities and of public transportation service leaves with no practicable choice but for taxi or taxi-like service.

Perhaps we will see you next week onboard the vessel!

4 hours ago, GTJ said:

To rate the hotel as "good" is rather subjective, for there are so many criteria to use. The hotel itself I am certain will be sufficiently comfortable. But you will be a prisoner of the hotel given that it is completely surrounded by an expressway and a highway . . . it might be legal to walk along U.S. 1 & 9, but doing so would put your life at risk. (Ironically, perhaps, on the other side of the expressway is literally a state prison.) If you're only staying the night, then you will be able to make do with the hotel restaurant or delivery. Here's a suggestion for delivery: Campino Restaurant (it is Portuguese, about six minutes away, and Uber Eats delivers). But if you have the full day there, then you might be disappointed in not having much to do nearby. And for getting to the port the next day, the lack of any walking facilities and of public transportation service leaves with no practicable choice but for taxi or taxi-like service.

Perhaps we will see you next week onboard the vessel!

Thank you! My guess is I won't be at the hotel until after 6pm so I'm sure it will do; if I was coming in earlier, I probably would've stayed in New York for the night. I also did plan to take Uber to the port in the morning.

I will check that place out!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, meadowlander said:

I think we both can agree the op choice is much much much much better than the Bayonne Plaza Motel! 😃

In terms of quality, much better; it terms of cost, not so good. Most people would likely not choice the Plaza Motel, as evidenced by the fact that there are many more hotel rooms with higher quality and cost . . . so the marketplace has spoken. But it is a subjective call, and since we're all different from one another, some people would make that choice of staying at a low quality and cost motel (and for some people at lower economic levels, the quality might be better than the apartment that they rent for their home). If I had only two choices, the Plaza Motel or the Spring Hill Suites, I would probably choose the former because being held prisoner between highways is worse, to me, than a poor quality motel room. All of this is why I prefaced my response here as being subjective: I don't want to instill my personal values onto someone else I do not know, someone who may have different likes and dislikes than me. 🙂 (I think the same thing can be said of staterooms on a vessel. Some who sail are a bit uppity and refuse to book certain classes of staterooms on the ground that they are "below" their standards. Others do readily chose those staterooms, perhaps because they've chosen to spend their dollars on shore excursions than on a stateroom. Again, individual choice where we're not all going to agree. I would rather have that liberty and diversity over a world where everyone was the same!)

10 hours ago, GTJ said:

In terms of quality, much better; it terms of cost, not so good. Most people would likely not choice the Plaza Motel, as evidenced by the fact that there are many more hotel rooms with higher quality and cost . . . so the marketplace has spoken. But it is a subjective call, and since we're all different from one another, some people would make that choice of staying at a low quality and cost motel (and for some people at lower economic levels, the quality might be better than the apartment that they rent for their home). If I had only two choices, the Plaza Motel or the Spring Hill Suites, I would probably choose the former because being held prisoner between highways is worse, to me, than a poor quality motel room. All of this is why I prefaced my response here as being subjective: I don't want to instill my personal values onto someone else I do not know, someone who may have different likes and dislikes than me. 🙂 (I think the same thing can be said of staterooms on a vessel. Some who sail are a bit uppity and refuse to book certain classes of staterooms on the ground that they are "below" their standards. Others do readily chose those staterooms, perhaps because they've chosen to spend their dollars on shore excursions than on a stateroom. Again, individual choice where we're not all going to agree. I would rather have that liberty and diversity over a world where everyone was the same!

On this board you provide helpful information but your original suggestion of Bayonne Plaza Motel as an option for cruisers and your  reaffirming stance in this post leaves me shaking my head .

You stating you "probably" woukd choose the Bayonne Plaza Motel, which charges HOURLY RATES, knowing all associated with such an establishment so as to save a few dollars to spend on shore excursions is laughable, impacts your credibility and is a disservice to those seeking  information and assistance..

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

On this board you provide helpful information but your original suggestion of Bayonne Plaza Motel as an option for cruisers and your reaffirming stance in this post leaves me shaking my head. * * * You stat[ement] * * * is laughable, impacts your credibility and is a disservice to those seeking  information and assistance.

With all due respect, what are writing involves the imposition of your set of values on others, and the criticism of others who do not measure up to your sense of permissible standards. Implicit in your first sentence is that persons who travel by cruise vessel are better people than other people, including those who chose to stay at low quality motels. It is fine for you to have your own set of values that differs from those of others (at least absent illegality, immorality, or unethical acts), as it would be a boring world if we were all exactly the same. But it is wrong for you to imply that I am a lesser person than you are because I have different values, and because I evaluate choices differently from you. That implication, of me being a lesser person than you, comes across as offensive bigotry. Perhaps it was unintentional on your part--I hope that is the case--and that may be the consequence of you not being used to others who differ in thought from you. Be patient: as you mature you will pick the skill of being able to see things from the perspective of other people. So with the assumption that you did not actually intend to criticize me personally, I do forgive you for this transgression. I hope you will take this feedback constructively, and that you will continue to provide your valuable perceptions on items of interest. Do correct others when they provide inaccurate statements of fact, but in doing so try to avoid that temptation of criticizing them personally.