Premium Drinks Package-Upgrade Worth It?

granddutchess

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The bartender you purchased it from on board has no bearing on it as he just transacts the purchase for you.  (Whether or not he gets a "cut" from it!) The resulting upgrade to Premium is added to your account and confirmed by way of your sea pass card, and is good anywhere on the ship with any bartender serving you.

I just prefer to purchase prior to cruise with the Elite discount. Its actually more costly onboard.

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Really?  I am not seeing pricing like that anywhere  More like $25-30 per person per day - so for a 10 day cruise that is around another $600 and for us would not be worth it at all!

The $30 per day per person figure is the amount to upgrade Always to Elevate, and then Elevate to Indulge.  Elevate includes the upgrade to Premium plus an amount of OBC specified for shore excursions.  Indulge includes Premium and Surf to Stream WIFI along with increased OBC over Elevate that is split between shore excursions and standard OBC.  The $10 - $12 amount is just to upgrade Always Classic to Always Premium.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

@Froufie I upgraded online for the Elite discount for $133 canadian so around 13 bucks a day for 10 nights. Totally worth the upcharge as a san pellegrino is $3.50 and Evian $5.50 plus 20 percent.  Drink prices are in USD

That sounds more reasonable!  I will definitely check out pricing once we are onboard!  thanks

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Agree.  But not everyone has the Elite benefit.

I realize that but people are saying they get a better upgrade onboard but the 10% elite discount must be purchased pre cruise.

12 hours ago, granddutchess said:

We will be sailing on the Silhouette at the end of March 2022.  Given the supply chain issues is it worth it to upgrade to the Premium Drinks Package?  Those who currently are on board are you finding that the cruise ship has the premium brands?  Want to see before I upgrade from the Classic Package to Premium.  Thank you so much for your comments.

We also just recently booked this cruise. We were offered to elevate to premium drinks and $200 obc per person Wifi and I think something else. At $30 a day pp once you account for the obc it only cost us $11 a day extra for premium package & WiFi.  That’s at least a Martini a day seemed worth it to us

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Froufie said:

Cheaper to upgrade the drinks here and there in my opinion than to pay for the premium package as we are not big drinkers - it depends on your wishes and how many drinks you might have?

I agree. Unless you are going to drink a lot of a particular expensive drink it isn't worth it. On our last cruise I had a few more expensive cocktails and my husband a few malt whiskies. We only paid the difference and our bill at the end was $15.75! So not worth upgrading.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, granddutchess said:

We will be sailing on the Silhouette at the end of March 2022.  Given the supply chain issues is it worth it to upgrade to the Premium Drinks Package?  Those who currently are on board are you finding that the cruise ship has the premium brands?  Want to see before I upgrade from the Classic Package to Premium.  Thank you so much for your comments.

Can anybody try to answer the direct question from @granddutchess who was not asking for a comparison between Classic and Premium packages or costs.  I also would like to understand by those currently sailing if there is a lack of some of the traditional premium spirits and wines due to pandemic-induced shortages?  Thank You.

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Can anybody try to answer the direct question from @granddutchess who was not asking for a comparison between Classic and Premium packages or costs.  I also would like to understand by those currently sailing if there is a lack of some of the traditional premium spirits and wines due to pandemic-induced shortages?  Thank You.

There is definitely a lack of decent wines on the premium package. I upgraded to PBP and could not find any good cabs unless I wanted to pay a major upcharge.  Most of the wines on that package can be purchased locally for around $10 or so. I ended up drinking the wine I brought onboard and used the package for some nice cocktails. On my Edge cruise this Sunday I didn't bother with any package at all took the simply sail pricing and saved over $900.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hopefully someone will be able to address this.  If not, once on board you can check the different venues and decide, and if all is as you would like it, you would have the option to upgrade then. 

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Are you able to upgrade from the AI package to Premium using the Elite discount online or must you call Celebrity?  I always thought you had to call but if online is now an option I’d rather not be on hold forever…

You can call or book online for the Elite discount just does not apply onboard.  Pretty sure I called for my November 2021 cruise also noted FX exchange rate good at the time cost me $13 a day

I have searched the boards to try and find the wines and cocktails that are in the classic package with no luck. Does anyone have a list or  menu? Many say they don't like the classic pkg wines but without knowing the labels included, it is hard to determine if they will suffice.

Besides the standard rum coke or gin & tonic are there any martinis,frozen concoctions etc. included?

Thank you

4 hours ago, eltigre said:

I have searched the boards to try and find the wines and cocktails that are in the classic package with no luck. Does anyone have a list or  menu? Many say they don't like the classic pkg wines but without knowing the labels included, it is hard to determine if they will suffice.

Besides the standard rum coke or gin & tonic are there any martinis,frozen concoctions etc. included?

Thank you

The CBP have some extremely inexpensive wines most of which you can purchase locally for around the $10 mark. I was on a November Silhouette sailing and saw a lot of cabs from Chili some merlot no wines from Argentina which produces excellent wines at great price points, nothing from Australia a couple from. California and Italy. Sorry I can't give you the names but nothing I would drink. On their Premium package there was mer soleil chardonnay Kendall Jackson also their Elegance which Kendall Jackson makes for Celebrity a cab and pinot which were ok. Their inventory is very limited. Also saw Decoy cab which should be in the classic package but its not. 

I have a bunch of OBC and was thinking I'd upgrade to Premium, but since I'm mostly a beer and wine drinker, I'm not sure it would make sense.  I primarily drink pinot grigio, so would need to see what they have available.  It isn't mentioned, but is there a sparkling wine or prosecco available in the Classic?

Just about the only hard liquor I drink is when I have a Dark and Stormy and I don't see Gosling's Black Seal Rum on the premium list, so something would have to be substituted and I'd probably be fine with using Myer's, which is in the classic.

The premium beers don't do much for me, either.  I don't like to drink too much beer when I sail because I'm already consuming so many more calories with the meals, so I'm fine with a lightweight.

And I'm perfectly fine with "plain" water.

Looks like I'll just find some other way to use up that OBC.

14 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I have a bunch of OBC and was thinking I'd upgrade to Premium, but since I'm mostly a beer and wine drinker, I'm not sure it would make sense.  I primarily drink pinot grigio, so would need to see what they have available.  It isn't mentioned, but is there a sparkling wine or prosecco available in the Classic?

Just about the only hard liquor I drink is when I have a Dark and Stormy and I don't see Gosling's Black Seal Rum on the premium list, so something would have to be substituted and I'd probably be fine with using Myer's, which is in the classic.

The premium beers don't do much for me, either.  I don't like to drink too much beer when I sail because I'm already consuming so many more calories with the meals, so I'm fine with a lightweight.

And I'm perfectly fine with "plain" water.

Looks like I'll just find some other way to use up that OBC.

They have a sparkling wine which is their house brand pretty awful but ok mixed with orange juice or for an aperol spritzer. They also have Beringer white Zinfandel in the CBP along with Mont Gras a carmenere from Chile listed at $9. Since covid it appears they are unable to get some decent wines. When I cruised on the Equinox in 2019 they had a much broader selection of wines you will be fine with cocktails not a beer drinker therefore cannot comment.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:21 AM, granddutchess said:

On the Apex now and tbh the premium brands aren’t really that great, but most of the drinks I’ve seen are $12-15. Also the coffee, espressos, sodas, juices etc are all included too with premium (not sure if classic does). So I wouldn’t think of Premium as being premium brands.Definitely worth IMHO.

1 minute ago, cltcruisers123 said:

On the Apex now and tbh the premium brands aren’t really that great, but most of the drinks I’ve seen are $12-15. Also the coffee, espressos, sodas, juices etc are all included too with premium (not sure if classic does). So I wouldn’t think of Premium as being premium brands.Definitely worth IMHO.

Most of the premium wines are priced at $11 feel they should be included in classic package.  I'm on the Edge this Sunday not worth me buying a beverage package.  The simply sail  rate was too good to pass up also their free wifi is extremely slow

8 hours ago, eltigre said:

Thank you

There is not a drink menu per se that I am aware of.  What is published is the different brands and levels of alcohol and other beverages included in the Classic and Premium packages for comparison.  The two packages are scaled by this with the resulting cocktails, etc., that are generated by these, and this is what makes the difference in terms of the $9 and $15 drink levels.  It's all determined by the base alcohols, wines, and beers involved in each package.  Any cocktail, etc., that can be made from each package is what is available through each.

As example, you can get a gin and tonic from each, but the Classic may use Gordon's as the base gin, where the Premium will allow Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire as the base gin.

See my response #15 earlier on this thread.  I included a link there that provides a direct comparison between the two packages.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
additional correction

On 1/25/2022 at 7:29 PM, drakes2 said:

I just prefer to purchase prior to cruise with the Elite discount. Its actually more costly onboard.

What do you save?  7 bucks on a week long cruise?  You should try it at least once on board, you will realize the difference..if you frequent any one bar especially.  

On 1/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, Froufie said:

Cheaper to upgrade the drinks here and there in my opinion than to pay for the premium package as we are not big drinkers - it depends on your wishes and how many drinks you might have?

It also comes down to other items included on premium drink package. If you like any water other than the canned still water, you can get it all via premium package. Look at the big list and make your best decision. For us, we prefer the wines from the premium list and the Martini bar, that alone makes the upgrade good for us.

Edited by neverlaysup
  • Like 1

So just a short rant - we have a cruise coming up in 59 days and I called to upgrade my beverage from classic to premium so I could get the 10% discount and the rep on the phone told me that would change the price of my cruise and I would owe the balance.  Tried twice to explain I didn't want to change my cruise rate only upgrade the beverage package as indicated in the elite benefits and she kept to her story that would rebook my cruise at a higher rate.  Very frustrated so I hung up and will try again hoping I get a different rep.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

There is not a drink menu per se that I am aware of.  What is published is the different brands and levels of alcohol and other beverages included in the Classic and Premium packages for comparison.  The two packages are scaled by this with the resulting cocktails, etc., that are generated by these, and this is what makes the difference in terms of the $9 and $15 drink levels.  It's all determined by the base alcohols, wines, and beers involved in each package.  Any cocktail, etc., that can be made from each package is what is available through each.

As example, you can get a gin and tonic from each, but the Classic may use Gordon's as the base gin, where the Premium will allow Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire as the base gin.

See my response #15 earlier on this thread.  I included a link there that provides a direct comparison between the two packages.

Everything that you say is true.  It is also what frustrates those of us who are not big (or fancy) drinkers.  It's easy to translate the meaning for a gin and tonic, rum and coke, or whiskey and soda.  

When you get to cocktails (margaritas, coladas, mojitos, martinis, etc) it is not easily translatable, particulary for, the martinis that DW may want to try.  The printed menus that I have seen suggest that most, if not all cocktails are over the $9 limit for the classic package.  In many cases, it is because the liquors used are in the premium package.  

I guess the logical remedy would be to ask a bartender if a particular drink on a menu can be made using ingredients in the classic package.  Is this possible?   If it is not possible, for a particular drink or two, it makes sense to pay  a single difference or two a day instead of upgrading two packages for a full 10 day cruise.

Edited by davy jones
add final comment