Weather Concerns

We are set to sail on Oasis on Sunday, Jan 30th. We live in Boston, so of course there's a massive snowstorm in the forecast for Saturday. We have flights scheduled for both Saturday night and Sunday morning down to Miami (because we know we can easily cancel one), but with this storm, we're not quite sure either will actually fly.  Has anyone missed their cruise because of weather? The first port is the next day at Coco Cay. Is there a way to get their on your own to join the cruise in progress? If not, were you able to get any type of refund or credit? Leaving Friday is not an option for us. Thanks for your help.

I don't believe any cruise line is currently allowing you to join a cruise after it sails. If you don't have travel insurance that covers missing the trip due to weather, you'll be out the costs. Except you could try the 48 hour CWC to get FCC but you'd have to decide before the flights. 

When is the storm supposed to start? Can you move your flight to before that? Friday night flight definitely not an option?

• Like 1

the storm is late friday night into saturday. i don't get off work until 11pm on friday.. so friday isn't possible. we're trying to come up with alternative plans, but this would be crushing. we're in a 2-bedroom grand suite for the first time, and this cruise has been planned since feb. 2019.

2 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Ooof so storm is before you fly out. No idea how bad the storm is whether it's easy enough to clear the airports. Only other thought I have is to get a rental car to drive down far enough south where there's not a lot of snow and fly from there?

noreaster.. so the whole upper east coast. it's rough. we've done january cruises for the past 5 years with no problems. this is the first time wx has been an issue.

I’d either take the day off. Or call in to get out Thursday night.  Hate to miss my trip. 
I fly into North Carolina Friday night too so hope doesn’t effect my flight.   

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 4

With the current forecast track, you could try to drive the 3 hrs (+ additional slowdown time due to weather) to Albany and see if you can get a flight out of there. But that is dependent on the storm maintaining its current track and roads not being horrible early Saturday morning.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

We are set to sail on Oasis on Sunday, Jan 30th. We live in Boston, so of course there's a massive snowstorm in the forecast for Saturday. We have flights scheduled for both Saturday night and Sunday morning down to Miami (because we know we can easily cancel one), but with this storm, we're not quite sure either will actually fly.  Has anyone missed their cruise because of weather? The first port is the next day at Coco Cay. Is there a way to get their on your own to join the cruise in progress? If not, were you able to get any type of refund or credit? Leaving Friday is not an option for us. Thanks for your help.

Timing of this storm and your work schedule does not bode well for you making this cruise.  The storm is supposed to start Friday night and be up to a foot of snow ending Saturday night/Sunday morning.  The airlines will not bring the planes into Boston if they are going to get stuck here.  Still early to tell what the storm will actually do but they say it is a coastal storm.  No way you can join the cruise in Coco Cay.  

One option is driving, either west to an airport that might still have flights going to Florida or drive all the way to Florida.   Not sure if that is even an option or if you would be in snow a lot of the way.  I haven't looked too much at this storm yet because it is too early.  Only thing I checked was the level of gas in the gas can for the snow blower. 😄 

We typically cruise every January too and unfortunately, it is rolling the dice whether a storm will cause havoc or not.  Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Connecticut here and I feel for you.  IF the storm arrives as predicted, I expect you will have to cancel under CWC.  You should have a clear idea prior to 48 hours out.  BUT it’s only Tuesday and you know darn well they can barely give an accurate forecast for tomorrow let alone 3 days from now!  They love to talk up storms & then shrug when it doesn’t happen.  If it were me, I’d find a way to get out on Friday.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boston area as well. I have been watching this storm for a few days. A bit of a weather nut (snow lover) when it comes to winter weather and winter storms. It's still a little early to tell the exact track but at this point, all the models and ensembles are predicting a big hit and some are predicting a 40N/70W benchmark storm which can result in a historic snowstorm. Not exactly the news you want to hear I know... The timing seems to be an arrival, predawn on Saturday, so any flight Saturday is going to be tough. Although, as poocher said, these things have a way of fooling many and the meteorologists just claim that "this one is real difficult nail down". I think at 48 hours you'll know. If things stay they way they are modeled right now and you can't get out Friday, you might need to cancel 48 hours out....

I don't know if they ever would've been able to take you on at Coco Cay but even at a regular port, because of Covid, they have suspended that practice and you need to embark on the first day.

Edited by danp2482

To the main topic, given the forecast, I would suggest finding a way to fly early Friday to get to Miami ahead of the storm.  Even leaving on Friday to drive is uncertain regarding the weather en route.  If this is not an option then you can only hope that your flights will take place as planned.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, poocher said:

In Connecticut here and I feel for you.  IF the storm arrives as predicted, I expect you will have to cancel under CWC.  You should have a clear idea prior to 48 hours out.  BUT it’s only Tuesday and you know darn well they can barely give an accurate forecast for tomorrow let alone 3 days from now!  They love to talk up storms & then shrug when it doesn’t happen.  If it were me, I’d find a way to get out on Friday.  

Exactly, after all this is New England, so just wait a minute the weather can change.  Hope you make it!!

15 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Also, I believe from what others have posted and perhaps someone like @Ourusualbeachor other TA can confirm is that '48 hours before' is a bit misleading.  I think you'd have to cancel by Thursday evening for a Sunday cruise in order to utilize CWC.  

It is 48 hours prior to the date of sailing.  They do state that on their website but many do not understand that means. As you said midnight Thursday for a Sunday cruise.  

I just tell my clients its 72 hours.  

I know that this is extreme, but I would honestly have my butt in the car seat Friday night driving to Miami. No, I have never missed a cruise, but this is why. I leave nothing to chance. It's 11pm woman, get in the car, we are making Jacksonville by morning. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

At least your rowboat leaves from a sunny shore.  Let's worry about what could be a real problem:  Anthem departs Monday afternoon from Newark.  If NYC is supposed to get a foot of snow over the weekend where does that leave things?   Will the boat come in?  Will the planes land?  Can a taxi get from the airport to the pier?  This could be a real mess.

I thought I was getting out of the winter -- I live in North Dakota where it's 20 below, and we don't even mention that weather term for wimps called "wind chill".  When it's brisk and breezy here, even polar bears or penguns are looking for shelter.

2 minutes ago, gmerick said:

At least your rowboat leaves from a sunny shore.  Let's worry about what could be a real problem:  Anthem departs Monday afternoon from Newark.  If NYC is supposed to get a foot of snow over the weekend where does that leave things?   Will the boat come in?  Will the planes land?  Can a taxi get from the airport to the pier?  This could be a real mess.

I thought I was getting out of the winter -- I live in North Dakota where it's 20 below, and we don't even mention that weather term for wimps called "wind chill".  When it's brisk and breezy here, even polar bears or penguns are looking for shelter.

The storm is hitting Saturday, things will be cleared by Monday.  Ship will likely see some seas that are churned up but no reason why it shouldn't make a Monday docking.  Flights are messed up on a good day, so who knows what will be up with them.

For all those advocating driving... if the storm is bad enough to shut down the airports, is it REALLY a good idea to be driving?  

OP, assuming you can't leave work (day off or work remote) on Friday, I think the best bet is to keep fingers crossed that you can fly out at some point on Saturday, or (heaven forbid) Sunday morning. 

Or, cancel.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I’d either take the day off. Or call in to get out Thursday night.  Hate to miss my trip. 
I fly into North Carolina Friday night too so hope doesn’t effect my flight.   

First 20yrs Cruising drove To Cruise Ship, rarely Flew but if did was day of. 2002 we decided Fly in for first time day before, was Feb in Midwest and our 1st 10niter, turns out going early was worth it. Took us over 2.5 hrs to get 49 miles to Airport, was in 4 Wheel Drive and snowing so hard no lanes on the Interstate. Just made it for our Flight last to check in only First Class Seats available, sitting kiddie corner on Aisle from each other but Kool! Was last flight out at 6am before Airport shutting down due to Heavy Snow. Oop's, as Plane was Taxi to Runway we slid off getting stuck for 2hrs, this as Freezing Rain/ice was now falling. Got back to Gate, Flight left 6hrs later after started warming up snow to ice and now rain/mist. Had to change Planes in Atlanta, we made a connecting Flight getting to MIA at 5pm, luggage didnt. Next Morning Luggage made it to Hotel before we went to Ship. Have always carried on Plane couple changes Clothes and put half of my everything in one of 2 Bags, loose one them I'll still be OK. Last 20yrs, Retired, Cruise SOLO have always Flown in 2 Days early and Drive to Airport is only 5 Miles away now. Then Post Cruise, never have a Flight before Noon. Just 3 times off top my head line was out the Door at FLL, many my fellow Cruisers did not get out of Florida those days. Not to mention one them was day of Shoe Bomber, definitely slowed down Check in. 

2 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

Back around Feb  2015 we were scheduled to take a cruise and we were flying from Philadelphia and were going to hook up with our daughter, et vir who were coming from Louisiana.  The cruise was scheduled for Sunday and we always fly the same day of the cruise (I know, but this is what we do) so  anyway on Saturday a snowstorm went all day and stopped about 6 PM,  maybe 8 inches;  but the issue was that the flights from down in South Florida had stopped and didn't resume until late Sunday morning, of which the earliest flight we could get on would be around 3 or  4 PM.  So I called Royal and cancelled, then American Air and cancelled and finally our trip insurance to state the circumstances, all I had to prove was the weather and flight schedule and we were reimbursed for the cruise and were given a voucher for a later flight;  sadly though we weren't able to go, but our daughter and son in law went and had a great time.

• Like 2