How Dressy are Formal Nights on Celebrity?

earthpoet

On 1/26/2022 at 1:36 AM, miched said:

Just wear shorts and dine In the buffet.

LOL!  Sounds good to me. The whole point of any sort of dress-up nights (other than it being a carryover from the days of yore) is to make money for the cruise line by taking pictures. I am so tired of photographers bugging me for pics on cruise ship. It (dressing up) was sort of fun the first few cruises, but then started to get old fast. Used to drag along a sport coat, tie, etc. but sort of got away from it. Cruising with Viking spoiled me, being that they don't do anything like that. Here's the thing...for those who enjoy dressing up, I think it sort of cheapens the experience for them when walking in the MDR and seeing people in real casual attire. 

• Like 2

The whole point of any sort of dress up or chic Nite isn’t photos, it is if you wish, to dress up beyond the norm. I do it because I do enjoy putting on a jacket and adding a bow tie since my wife enjoys dressing up, so I do it for her and I like to see her happy. 

we don’t get photos, we have way too many and those aren’t the ones that remind us of good times. And we aren’t bothered by those in short sleeves. We do it for us.  

we live in a tourist area which means even in our better restaurants we have signs requiring shirt and shoes. We dress up a bit and fully realize there will be a large contingent of loud shirts and T’s and shorts…..always us men. 

i do notice how many young women dress very nicely and their dates go t-shirt and raggy jeans. I guess I’m just getting Geezer: sad so many young men think so little of their dates that they can’t put on a collared shirt. Not even suggesting a jacket. My favorite was the young woman was dressed to the Nines and her date had biker shorts and matching colorful T.  With that said, so much for me insisting I don’t notice what others are wearing! Ha! 

den

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Can you please describe “country club casual”?  Not sure I’ve ever seen Celebrity’s description.  Thanks.

I have seen the description on the Celebrity site- visit it- Vineyard Vines catalog IMO not country club casual- more like burberry- brooks brothers- etc.  Vineyard Vines great for everyday wear IMO and kids.

8 hours ago, Denny01 said:

The whole point of any sort of dress up or chic Nite isn’t photos

It is entirely possible that the point of Chic night from the cruise line's perspective, or from that of another passenger, may be completely different from your perspective, yet still valid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Denny01 said:

My favorite was the young woman was dressed to the Nines and her date had biker shorts and matching colorful T.  With that said, so much for me insisting I don’t notice what others are wearing! Ha! 

LOL. I see your point. It is a different sort of feeling when all dressed up and so that's why I said - at least for some people I suspect - it's probably a bit of a comedown when seeing others (on those evenings) who don't bother at all.  Maybe not. I know it bothered me at times.

I was a public school elementary instrumental teacher / band director. Back in the day,  I'd insist on concert attire being boys wearing coat and tie and dresses for girls. No problem. As the years went on, however, it became readily apparent that I'd never be able to enforce this any longer. So then I used to tell the kids, 'wear something like you'd where to church on Sundays'. Huh???  Church?  So that suggestion, for many families, became meaningless also. Finally, it came down to a nice shirt and pants. Many girls still wore dresses (supports your point about the ladies doing it but not the guys!). Concert attire for the audience got to be pretty appalling also. Parents and relatives sitting in the auditorium wearing baseball caps during the program....this is really one of my pet peeves. Oh well, whad'ya gonna do? The 'dressing down' of our culture I suppose. You can always tell the American tourists on international vacations compared to those from other countries - my opinion of course. All that said, dress up does = big money on cruise photos. It's not really a big deal for me since, like many professional careers, I wore shirt and tie every day to school but, near the end of my career, this really started to change also. Used to drag a whole suit along on cruises - done with that. Might still take the sport coat, but probably not. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Oville said:

Can you please describe “country club casual”?  Not sure I’ve ever seen Celebrity’s description.  Thanks.

No where does Cele

On 1/28/2022 at 1:07 PM, CK57 said:

How many Chic nights on 11 day cruise that only has 2 at sea days?

No where in Celebrity’s dress code is country club casual mentioned, it’s made up by posters here.

Just an FYI, Celebrity very often holds Evening Chic night on port days, it is not limited to sea days. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It is entirely possible that the point of Chic night from the cruise line's perspective, or from that of another passenger, may be completely different from your perspective, yet still valid.

Sure enough. Like I said, it's sort of a grand cruising tradition from days past. Good article on it here... https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/118299837/people-dont-dress-up-on-cruise-ships-the-way-they-used-to

9 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL!  Sounds good to me. The whole point of any sort of dress-up nights (other than it being a carryover from the days of yore) is to make money for the cruise line by taking pictures. I am so tired of photographers bugging me for pics on cruise ship. It (dressing up) was sort of fun the first few cruises, but then started to get old fast. Used to drag along a sport coat, tie, etc. but sort of got away from it. Cruising with Viking spoiled me, being that they don't do anything like that. Here's the thing...for those who enjoy dressing up, I think it sort of cheapens the experience for them when walking in the MDR and seeing people in real casual attire. 

Celebrity lost money on us then when we use to do formal wear. 😁I agree about the so called amateur photographers. Especially in the MDR. Hopefully that has stopped. But at least a polite quick no and they moved on. 

I'll never forget the one time - on formal night - I was heading down the stairwell later in the evening to grab a quick snack at the buffet. A ship photographer was there and asked if I wanted my picture taken. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I had to chuckle and say, 'no but thanks anyway'.  Much depends on how photogenic people are (relative to buying pics). We've recycled far more (actually most) formal night pictures than we've bought. 

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity lost money on us then when we use to do formal wear. 😁I agree about the so called amateur photographers. Especially in the MDR. Hopefully that has stopped. But at least a polite quick no and they moved on. 

The photographers have the same five poses for everyone. The worst is the back to back with your arms crossed. I hate that pose; it looks stupid,forced,and amateurish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You are exactly right. Occasions such as this and many others have reasons/rationales that differ for each of us, and for a business. Yup, photo stations are set up all over the ship and many are inline to get group/photos together. 

That’s always the issue with ‘conversations’ in this form is everything we type seems as if it’s in stone instead of just comments that we expand on, self-contradict in another sentence and so on. 

Although I do note when someone steps into a nice local restaurant wearing what I described before, it doesn’t upset or bother me, just noted as how things have changed and so on……at least thats what I tell myself so I don’t seem so judgmental which Of Course I’m Not!! Hehe. 

den

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL  I must say, just maneuvering into some of those poses does at least elicit a good laugh and/or smile for the pic. 

Having said my rant I'll have to give props when deserved. As opposed to those silly five poses here is a shot by one of the photographers on the Apex last month. As you can see it's a great shot simply because it's NOT one of those forced poses. We were enjoying our after dinner coffee at Cafe Al Bacio and specifically called the photographer over to take this photo.

apex.jpg.jpg

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, davekathy said:

But at least a polite quick no and they moved on. 

Perfect-- We have been doing that for years.

That reminds me, I have some beautiful photos with us and the Captain , a pirate, and even a " Welcome to Grand Cayman " sign. ( Great " deals " there ).

They are all in a " junk " drawer with that $75 Rolex I keep talking about.

About the dress code------ again ---

Ya wanna dress like a " slob " , because you have your " Rights " , go ahead -- but, " try " to respect the " suggested attire " that the Cruise Line " requests "---- It's common courtesy from where I come from.

(  Ok, Ok, I know you don't know or " care " where I'm from and you will do what you want --- Yup ) !!

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

That reminds me, I have some beautiful photos with us and the Captain , a pirate, and even a " Welcome to Grand Cayman " sign. ( Great " deals " there ).

They are all in a " junk " drawer with that $75 Rolex I keep talking about.

You know you can frame them and put them up on the wall. The two rickshaw photos are from our 2013 Vietnam cruise on the Millenium. Of our 91 cruises so far that one definitely ranks among the top three!

PXL_20220131_155654949.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You know you can frame them and put them up on the wall.

WHAT ???  Did you just say you want me to get in " trouble '' again with " you know who ???

Good idea---Maybe the wall in the basement or in the garage ?? 

91 cruises-- that's fantastic --- hope there are many more for you to enjoy.

As long as we need to mask indoors... I really can't get excited about dressing up.... all that effort to pack long gowns, multiple shoe options...curling irons... makeup... and then wear a mask.... just can't do it. Perhaps when the indoor masking ends   I can celebrate by wearing lipstick again..

We just got off the Reflection on Saturday and I have to say this is the first cruise that no photographer approached us or bothered us for a photo.  It was so refreshing.  Yes, we would walk right by them and they would smile at us and we would smile back but they never tried to stop us for a photo.

As far as chic dress night goes, I saw very little "formal dress" attire.  A couple of sparkly tops on ladies, and a few sport coats on men, but that's about it.  I myself stick with black slacks and nice tops, and my hubby wears black slacks and collared dress shirts.  We saw a little of everything.

• Thanks 1

Combining thread topic with twenty year photo challenge. Our first Celebrity cruise on the Millenium twenty years ago January 20-27, 2002. Note the tuxs and bowties (AND stupid pose!).

Twenty years later on the Celebrity Apex December 11-20 2021. We didn't bring any neckwear or even sports jackets. Evening Chic was slacks and a collared button shirt.

1643643688994-42b879b0-bfb3-4136-8f56-5e20ac3a69dc.jpg

apex.jpg (2).jpg

• Like 4

Having cruised on Celebrity for 20 years I have seen formal dress as we knew it gradually disappear. On a cruise in August around the UK , between variants, I did not see a single DJ or glitzy ball gown. These days a  light jacket and a long dress is all you need and pack a couple of ties just in case. That was out of Southampton so I do not see it making a comeback.

Terms like chic night -  country club casual- resort wear - seem to do little more than add confusion

Cunard has always been a bit more dressy , if that is still the case

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hampshirelad said:

Having cruised on Celebrity for 20 years I have seen formal dress as we knew it gradually disappear. On a cruise in August around the UK , between variants, I did not see a single DJ or glitzy ball gown. These days a  light jacket and a long dress is all you need and pack a couple of ties just in case. That was out of Southampton so I do not see it making a comeback.

Terms like chic night -  country club casual- resort wear - seem to do little more than add confusion

Cunard has always been a bit more dressy , if that is still the case

Not for us. That's what Celebrity calls their published suggested dress guidelines (chic evening) and it's not confusing.  What others want to call it or interpretant it to mean is just blah, blah, blah.  :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by davekathy

5 hours ago, hampshirelad said:

Agreed. Some of those terms are so ambiguous. I don't see the need for it. Those who want to dress up for dinner can do so. That said, some (minimal) dress guidelines have to be made or else who knows what sort of attire might show up in the MDR. Over the years, it has become increasingly diluted. This is, in part I feel, dictated by what the average mode of dress is in the MDR on non-formal (or whatever you want to call it) nights. Back in the day, if most pax routinely dressed up for dinner, no real need to establish certain specific evenings for it. I think Cunard still requires very dressy. It's not just cruising though. Certain events on land tours suggest certain dress guidelines as well. Much of this (what to wear when, in any situation) falls within the realm of common sense. 

Viking has the following policy: "There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted."  We found this to be much more enjoyable (and relaxing too) than having to worry about specific nights to dress up on. Depending on what we're doing ashore, like if we get back to the ship later afternoon, etc. then it's sometimes a rush to get all duded up. Of course, an option then is to hit the buffet instead of the dining room. 

Also..NO photographers on Viking. I didn't miss them. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1