COVID testing before the cruise after March 1

AK Dreaming

This may seem like a dumb question, but do we get the test 2 days before we embark or does it mean get the results 2 days before we leave?  If I embark on Saturday and book my test for Thursday, it is possible I would not get my results back in time?  Also, my CVS is charging $139 for a travel test.  Is the what everyone is paying or is there a better place.  I am in Florida.

21 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

This may seem like a dumb question, but do we get the test 2 days before we embark or does it mean get the results 2 days before we leave?  If I embark on Saturday and book my test for Thursday, it is possible I would not get my results back in time?  Also, my CVS is charging $139 for a travel test.  Is the what everyone is paying or is there a better place.  I am in Florida.

You will need to pay particular attention to what NCL says!

At 21 days prior to your cruise, NCL will send an email with some information regarding what you need to complete prior to your sail date.  Currently, (subject to changes) NCL states get tested 2 days before embarkation, after March 1.   https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

Also, my CVS is charging $139 for a travel test.  Is the what everyone is paying or is there a better place.  I am in Florida.

Call your insurance company and ask - different policies depending on your state.  You might be able to get tested through a local clinic and not pay.

• Like 2

Depending where you are in Florida Beeper MD worked great for us - they came to our condo while we were on vacation and did it for free.  The PCR results were back in about 26 hours.  This was in October.

It’s always based on the test data, not when you get results. Not sure how you got the information about the cost of a cvs test. There’s no need to call them and say ‘I want a travel test’. AFAIK their tests are free. Just fill out the pre-screening questionnaire and no issues. Same with Walgreens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Naturally, we have 2/27 embarkation in san juan.  Ha!  

(We had two CCL cruises Q4 with the two day requirement and it was easy breezy.  Used clinic at local grocery, no out of pocket).⁰

We also sail on 2/27, so we'll be tested at the pier.  They are recommending the pcr 2 days in advance, but will accept the rapid test in order to be protected on there refund policies.  I work in an office that does both, so will do both on Friday, but the PCR may or may not come back in time.  

NCL mapped this out very clearly on their site. If you leave on Saturday, take the test Thursday or later. All you do is back two days from departure and that is when you have to take it. They also state that they take the online proctored tests which will help many people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Summerstravel said:

I think for my cruise in April I will probably go with one of the online proctored tests.  Does anyone have the link for them to purchase? I will be traveling in a couple days early for the cruise so this will work best for me. 

https://www.emed.com/ make sure the test kit has the telehealth service 

• Like 2

ive seen at least one report of someone testing on friday and no results till monday so id never trust a drug store for anything other than same day results

i did the emed proctored test for another cruise and found it much more desirable and certain to assure i get the test done in the time required. 

i ordered the tests last wed nite and had them saturday morning. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

ive seen at least one report of someone testing on friday and no results till monday so id never trust a drug store for anything other than same day results

i did the emed proctored test for another cruise and found it much more desirable and certain to assure i get the test done in the time required. 

Do you happen to know how many people can be tested per kit? I got on the website, and it seemed to allow 3 to sign up pre-purchase, but there are 5 tests in a kit. I have 4 people and don’t want to spend another $150 for one more person if I can avoid it. 

22 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

Walgreens you can reserve 3 days in advance. free Rapid ID now

• Like 3

I'm a bit confused.  I just read an email I recently received from NCL that said I should test 96 hours before embarkation.  This is for my cruise February 28, 2022.  The email was entitled Pre-Cruise Testing Requirements.  Now I'm not sure when to test -- 4 days prior or 2 days prior?

6 minutes ago, cruise4family said:

I'm a bit confused.  I just read an email I recently received from NCL that said I should test 96 hours before embarkation.  This is for my cruise February 28, 2022.  The email was entitled Pre-Cruise Testing Requirements.  Now I'm not sure when to test -- 4 days prior or 2 days prior?

The protocol changes March 1.  Discussion is regarding that protocol.

Since you sail February 28, you will be tested at the port.  Testing beforehand is not required but good to have for peace of mind and possible assistance from NCL if you test positive at the port. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruise4family said:

It changes on the 1st of March, so your cruise is on the last day that they are testing at the port. The two day requirement doesn't apply to you.

In your case they recommend that you take a test within 96 hours. My understanding is that such a test means that NCL will help you out if you then test positive at the port.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JustSomeLady said:

Do you happen to know how many people can be tested per kit? I got on the website, and it seemed to allow 3 to sign up pre-purchase, but there are 5 tests in a kit. I have 4 people and don’t want to spend another $150 for one more person if I can avoid it. 

Up to 6 people can be tested with eMed's $150 kit. But be aware that test kits have come and been invalid. The vial with the fluid has been empty, video disconnects during the call, a part of the kit falls off the camera, etc. All of those will invalidate a test. I would have at least 1 extra. The issue is there is not time left to correct the issue with eMed before the cruise. The nice thing is you have an extra you can bring to port in case someone in a group is frantically trying to get tested because results aren't back or they cannot access the results.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Up to 6 people can be tested with eMed's $150 kit. But be aware that test kits have come and been invalid. The vial with the fluid has been empty, video disconnects during the call, a part of the kit falls off the camera, etc. All of those will invalidate a test. I would have at least 1 extra. The issue is there is not time left to correct the issue with eMed before the cruise. The nice thing is you have an extra you can bring to port in case someone in a group is frantically trying to get tested because results aren't back or they cannot access the results.

I’m thinking I will stick with CVS. I tried to get the emed ones, but it would only let me register 3 people with the $150 kit. If they come invalid, definitely not worth the expense. 

9 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

I wish we as Canadians had this option but the emed tests are not mailed to Canada.  We are driving to Florida and I am having a hard time finding a place to do for non- Americans.  We don’t sail until April out of Port Canaveral with our final payment  due next week and I really don’t want to cancel so I really hope we can find someplace soon.  

• Like 1