The Daily for Monday 02/07/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Rich has a rotation of meals that is used for each day’s Daily.  Just because it doesn’t appeal to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t to others.

Rich took over the Daily Fleet report when another CC member no longer wanted to do it.  With covid, there was no fleet report to do per se so Rich found a way to brighten everyone’s day. 👍 

The Daily is Rich’s creation and much appreciated by many of us.  Please, if you don’t like a meal or a drink - there’s no reason to criticize the OP.  He puts work into this and you can’t please everyone all the time.

Well stated, thank you.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, that is a very long time to wait for parts for an oven!  Our oven was out about a month and we made do, but were very happy to get it up and running again.  Have fun baking and roasting!

@aliaschiefBruce, I saw your mention of Azamara for your upcoming cruise plus the World cruise on Jacqui's Bon Voyage thread.  I was watching an episode of "Mighty Cruise Ships" this morning on my DVR and it was the Azamara Journey episode from season 1.  It looked very nice and should be a cruise line we consider if we want to stay on smaller ships.  I'd be excited to hear how your March cruise is if you plan on posting anything.  It will be here before you know it.

Check out all the reviews and streams on You Tube. Already has us pretty convinced. Even get to meet our Hal poster Kirk who will be on board. Cruiser Bill has also given us some positive reports.

Will definitely let you know. Watched a subjective review of top ten luxury cruise lines yesterday and Azamara was rated fourth. Surprised that Viking was number 1. Of course that is one bloggers opinion.

Bruce

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m sorry you feel that way and hope you stay.

This thread has been growing  with newcomers all the time.  Everyone was new here once. 😉 

The issue with your post was that you quoted the OP for me.  It was a criticism of him and not called for.  We try to keep things friendly here and not divisive - sorry if you didn’t get that.

You are most welcome to stay, seriously but everyone can’t comment on everything and when they did comment on your post - you took immediate offence and attacked lazey1.  That’s not what this thread is about.

May I make a suggestion?  Why not give and you will find you receive.  Generally (speaking for myself) I comment on posts where I am concerned about people here or they have good news.  I miss a lot admittedly with all that’s going on but I do my best.  Personally, I care if people are having a difficult time or have something to celebrate.  That’s part of what this thread is about.

If we appear close knit, it’s because people care about each other.  I think that is a way to be, but that’s just me.

nope sorry the tone of the thread is too much about peoples personal lives and not about cruising.

And about keeping nice, well I guess if only one agrees with everything.  I used to see this thread and wonder why every darn day a new one. And it is nice I guess but it does seem to be a lot that is not about cruising and things like food and wine are subjective.   So, I will let ya'all continue to be the happy clique that you seem to be.  funny how this thread is the "NICE" thread until someone like me thinks a food item is awful.  I mean really that was in appropriate of me.  oh well. bye

and you to UK fellow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

This thread has been growing  with newcomers all the time.  Everyone was new here once. 😉 

The issue with your post was that you quoted the OP for me.  It was a criticism of him and not called for.  We try to keep things friendly here and not divisive - sorry if you didn’t get that.

You are most welcome to stay, seriously but everyone can’t comment on everything and when they did comment on your post - you took immediate offence and attacked lazey1.  That’s not what this thread is about.

May I make a suggestion?  Why not give and you will find you receive.  Generally (speaking for myself) I comment on posts where I am concerned about people here or they have good news.  I miss a lot admittedly with all that’s going on but I do my best.  Personally, I care if people are having a difficult time or have something to celebrate.  That’s part of what this thread is about.

If we appear close knit, it’s because people care about each other.  I think that is the way to be, but that’s just me.

Thank you for saying what I tried to say, but deleted.  You definitely said it better.

I'll add that I lurked for a long time before posting on the Daily in 2020, but as I joined in the discussions more and more, I felt more a part of what we call The Daily Family.  It is difficult to comment all the posts each day, but most of us (if CC gremlins are willing) at least, "like", 'thank" or "HaHa" the posts with very few exceptions.

@Oceansaway17 You are most welcome to stay and be a part of the Daily.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26

Sorry I forgot to mention this on my last post but talking about getting mail reminded me.  In today's mail our new passports were returned to us.  I mailed to Philadelphia for expedited renewals on 1/14.  The State Department website showed acceptance on 1/20 and the checks were cashed that day as well.  On Wed. 2/2 the website showed approval and said they would be printing next with delivery expected by 2/8.  And here we are today on 2/7 with them in our hands. They must have been printed in Arizona because that is where they were shipped from.  And to top it all off the return address on the envelopes was a New Hampshire address.  Quite the hodgepodge!   The old passports will be coming back to us in the next week or two if I recall correctly.  That is great service considering expedited service was supposed to take about 7 weeks, so obviously they are catching up a little.  I think many people were getting passports renewed late last year due to travel opening up more.

Also in today's mail were the 4 free Covid tests we signed up for at or around 1/18.  I hope I don't need them but good to have on hand.  So besides cruise line brochures, we had more in the mailbox than junk mail!  Yay!

• Like 27

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

If we appear close knit, it’s because people care about each other.  I think that is the way to be, but that’s just me.

I've been posting here about 2 weeks now but I have read many posts in the years since I joined CC 6 years ago. From the posts I've read I found The Daily to be very interesting, informative and very caring, I decided to start posting and surprised that so many of you take the time to read my posts and give a like, thanks or a ha ha. After 2 weeks I found The Daily and its posters to be very welcoming. A special thanks to Rich for taking the time to post things like the meal of the, drink of the day, wine of the day etc, etc, etc.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon, thanks to all who contribute! I have one rosebush. Can’t recall the name. A few years ago our DS built a house for his family right across from us. He did some landscaping and planted a pretty rosebush. Then some groundhogs moved in. They are determined diggers in sandy soil. The rose was in danger so he dug it up and gave it to me. I only have herbs growing next to the garage and the critters don’t seem to like it there. He had to set humane traps all that summer and set them loose miles away. I have seen two ballets. The NYC ballet has a summer residency in Saratoga Springs and I had great seats with some friends there once. Also saw the Nutcracker at a local theater. I usually send valentines to the GC. The drink sounds good but I have never had one. The wine sounds good and I might try the meal but DH- no way!  Never been to Alaska-maybe someday. @Quartzite Cruiser the first time I got drunk it was on Hawaiian Punch and vodka. I was 15. It was not pretty. Haven’t touched that punch since. Mostly drink wine now with the occasional cocktail. I might try that Painkiller one day!  @rafinmdnice sunrise today. Take care all. 

• Like 23

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you for saying what I tried to say, but deleted.  You definitely said it better.

I'll add that I lurked for a long time before posting on the Daily in 2020, but as I joined in the discussions more and more, I felt more a part of what we call The Daily Family.  It is difficult to comment all the posts each day, but most of us (if CC gremlins are willing) at least, "like", 'thank" or "HaHa" the posts with very few exceptions.

@Oceansaway17 You are most welcome to stay and be a part of the Daily.

Lenda

4 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I've been posting here about 2 weeks now but I have read many posts in the years since I joined CC 6 years ago. From the posts I've read I found The Daily to be very interesting, informative and very caring, I decided to start posting and surprised that so many of you take the time to read my posts and give a like, thanks or a ha ha. After 2 weeks I found The Daily and its posters to be very welcoming. A special thanks to Rich for taking the time to post things like the meal of the, drink of the day, wine of the day etc, etc, etc.

Well, guys, you can't please everybody, can you?  I know I for one appreciate all your comments.

Edited to say:  Jacqui I multi-posted your original comment too but it disappeared from the last page to this page.  Still learning.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 22

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I gotta say one thing

Looks like this thread is about all of you who already know each other.

Ya post about your health and everything else under the sun.

I think many of you really do not appreciate or want anyone NEW on this thread.

While I go a few WELCOMES, I now no longer feel welcome.

This thread seems like a rather private group so I will go away.  Because saying a food item was awful seemed to set most of you off.   And I notice a few of you once you welcomed me, then never did comment on anything I had to say.  I guess I need to have some aches and pains or cut photos otherwise I am boring.

well so long.  It was nice while it lasted but really in the end, some of you are not so welcoming afterall.

@Oceansaway17.

Most days I just say I will give the food and drink a miss if it doesn't appeal to me.

Because there is different subjects every day which Rich creates even when he is cruising we all can join in and I have learned a lot from the days and love photos especially from ports I have never been to.

I have only been on here for about 6 months and know no one personally but it is lovely that everyone genuinely cares for each other on this thread.

It is nice to get away from the regular threads which sometimes get snarky and unpleasant and usually locked.

I know you are a nice poster from your posts previously on the Royal Caribbean threads and I'm certain everyone loves you on here.

I look forward to you staying with us on here.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29

Thanks to Rich and Roy for such an interesting thread.  It has been nice to read as we were all kept away from our favorite pastime.  

I will be keeping my thoughts and prayers for all who need them.  Happily sailing right now on our way to St. Croix.  Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

• Like 25

Over two years is a long time for a part, fortunately DS found a fix online and we have been able to use the oven for most of the 2 years. Not happy that in spite of this being ‘covered by a warranty’, we had to pay a labor charge. ☹️

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy for such an interesting thread.  It has been nice to read as we were all kept away from our favorite pastime.  

I will be keeping my thoughts and prayers for all who need them.  Happily sailing right now on our way to St. Croix.  Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

Hope you’re having a wonderful time!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

@Oceansaway17.

Most days I just say I will give the food and drink a miss if it doesn't appeal to me.

Because there is different subjects every day which Rich creates even when he is cruising we all can join in and I have learned a lot from the days and love photos especially from ports I have never been to.

I have only been on here for about 6 months and know no one personally but it is lovely that everyone genuinely cares for each other on this thread.

It is nice to get away from the regular threads which sometimes get snarky and unpleasant and usually locked.

I know you are a nice poster from your posts previously on the Royal Caribbean threads and I'm certain everyone loves you on here.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

Nicely put Graham. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I hope you have a wonderful cruise Katherine.

Graham.

• Like 11

Greetings friends.  The collection of days is really nice today. We've had roses in our garden for as long as I can remember.  They are a favorite flower.   🌹   I also really enjoy the ballet -- probably more for the music than for the dance, same as @*Miss G*.  Sometimes the touring companies only have recorded music.  I pass on those and wait for the live orchestra.  Beautiful stuff.  And...I exchange real mail with a friend in Idaho.  Thanks for the reminder that she is due a card.

I don't think I've ever had a Zombie.  That's always been a bridge too far.  I'll stick with the Mai-Tais.   🍹

It's been busy around here still training our new puppy.  He's a joy and doing great -- but time-consuming! 

Thanks Rich and All Contributors for the Daily.  @dfish, glad to see that your tooth isn't too painful.  Nobody needs toothache!  

Sorry I'm lame at keeping up with things here lately, but you're all in my thoughts and prayers.  Sure wish that darn @Seasick Sailorwould give us a holler.  Miss your posts, girl friend!

Have a safe and pleasant rest of this day, Everyone!  😊

• Like 21

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy to hear your tooth is out and all is well Debbie.

Graham.

It was pretty easy and no pain at this time.  I think the Novocaine has worn off.  

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Glad to hear it is over with and all is well.  If they gave you pain meds, Debbie, take them right away to stay on top of the pain.

They did not give me pain meds.  Said to just take ibuprofen.  I did take some when I got home.  Numbing is gone and I'm doing ok.

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@dfish  Debbie, hope the dentist visit is not too horrible, but you have ice cream to look forward to having today.

@dfish  Debbie, I just saw that you are back from the dentist and all is well.  That is good news.  I agree with your comments about the meals, and that can apply to the wine, drinks, quotes, etc...

Thanks, Lenda.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Rich has a rotation of meals that is used for each day’s Daily.  Just because it doesn’t appeal to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t to others.

Rich took over the Daily Fleet report when another CC member no longer wanted to do it.  With covid, there was no fleet report to do per se so Rich found a way to brighten everyone’s day. 👍 

The Daily is Rich’s creation and much appreciated by many of us.  Please, if you don’t like a meal or a drink - there’s no reason to criticize the OP.  He puts work into this and you can’t please everyone all the time.

Well, said, Jacqui.  As is the case most of the time, it isn't what the person does that is the problem, it is how it is done.  

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I'm seriously late to the party today; DH had an early morning blood test before his cardiologist appt tomorrow, so we were up and out of the house at the crack of dark.  We had breakfast at Tim Horton's, then proceeded to head to Sleep Country to take advantage of their 100 night guarantee so they can pick up the Casper mattress we've had for the past 10 days and replace it with something else.  I normally can sleep on anything (but  being a princess, I prefer softer), but this one is giving me serious back issues every morning since we've had it.  Fortunately, within an hour of us being in the store, I received a call from the customer service dept and we arranged to have a totally different brand of mattress delivered, the old one picked up, and we should be good to go on Wednesday.  Yay!

@dfish I'm glad you're out of the dentist's chair and back home; hopefully you won't have any residual pain.

While I'm not a fan of today's menu suggestion, I know lots of people really enjoy beans, so I'll let all of you have my share.  Today's the day we're bringing things out of the freezer, so the first thing I spotted was a container of turkey soup.  DH chose beef stew, so we'll be having a varied menu on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Thank you!   I'm so glad you were able to get a replacement for the mattress.  They are so important for how your back feels.  I'm wondering if I should be investing in a new one.  

50 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Glad that the appointment went well.  I think you deserve a treat for visiting the dentist.

I had a nice treat.  I fixed myself a bowl of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie ice cream.  My instructions say I can eat normally as soon as it is comfortable to do so.  I'd say it is now, but I'll give it till tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, that is a very long time to wait for parts for an oven!  Our oven was out about a month and we made do, but were very happy to get it up and running again.  Have fun baking and roasting!

I know I pass on lots of menu suggestions but nobody ever called me an adventurous diner.  Others enjoy the things I pass on and it's fine with me. 😋  So glad all is well after the extraction.  I remember when I decided on braces many decades ago, all my crowding was in the front, so they extracted four teeth which were ahead of the molars yet behind the canines.  My twin was a hygienist so she could tell you which ones.  Anyway they did not remove my wisdom teeth because I didn't need the space back there.  That was really something having those teeth pulled.  But I don't recall much pain at all.  In fact, I flouted the instructions given me and planted all the shrubs that weekend at our new house.  About 50 of them, but it didn't harm me at all.  Sister did scold me though.🦷  Enjoy this excellent excuse to eat lots of ice cream.

I agree on the amount of time for those oven parts.  I would have given up on that one.  I needed my oven for Thanksgiving big time!

Four teeth extracted at once?  Oh, my!   My instructions said no heavy exercise for 48 hours, but I do have a pool reservation for tomorrow.  I'm going to check with my hygienist sister on that one.  

Now for rest of the story on the extraction:   It can never end with all is well, can it?   The oral surgeon said the tooth next to it had a base line fracture and needed a filling or a crown and that he would recommend the crown.  Of course!!!   More $$$$$.  These people think I am an endless well of financial resources.  They seem to cavalier about spending my non existent money.  I told him it wasn't happening and I'd just pull that one as well.  Well, I probably won't, but when does it end?   

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

@Oceansaway17.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

you are very kind and perhaps I might just wander in once in a while to see what you have to say. 

My original comment BTW what meant to be a flippy jokey comment. 

I did not feel I was insulting the OP but apparently some folks are like guard dogs ready to pounce.

I am surprised that since this is cruise critic that having a daily thread 5-8 pages on a lot of non- cruising topics is allowed to take up a lot of space.  oh well

toodles.   PS Hoping your wonderful Queen stays healthy and makes it through this year's celebrations.  Just sorry one of her relatives live in my country and missing out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Rich and all who make a point to post here. It does cheer me up and when I was able to finally meet face to face with some of you it was like meeting family. I am truly grateful for the care list, the food porn and wine, and a chance to see places I have not been to yet. I like it here. Thanks. 

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I gotta say one thing

Looks like this thread is about all of you who already know each other.

Ya post about your health and everything else under the sun.

I think many of you really do not appreciate or want anyone NEW on this thread.

While I go a few WELCOMES, I now no longer feel welcome.

This thread seems like a rather private group so I will go away.  Because saying a food item was awful seemed to set most of you off.   And I notice a few of you once you welcomed me, then never did comment on anything I had to say.  I guess I need to have some aches and pains or cut photos otherwise I am boring.

well so long.  It was nice while it lasted but really in the end, some of you are not so welcoming afterall.

So  sorry you  feel like this it  is  your  loss not  ours.

Jim.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

you are very kind and perhaps I might just wander in once in a while to see what you have to say. 

I did not feel I was insulting the OP but apparently some folks are like guard dogs ready to pounce.

I am surprised that since this is cruise critic that having a daily thread 5-8 pages on a lot of non- cruising topics is allowed to take up a lot of space.  oh well

toodles.   PS Hoping your wonderful Queen stays healthy and makes it through this year's celebrations.  Just sorry one of her relatives live in my country and missing out.

I'm sorry  your remark was misinterpreted.  Far too often the written word is not taken in the light it was offered.  Without intonations and facial expressions, we can only interpret according to our own experiences.  

We do discuss cruising on this thread.  Our destinations of the day are often cruise destinations and we share our experiences in those destinations.  During the pause this did become a home for many of us who were isolated in our homes.  A lot of us are single and the touch of humanity here really helped get through that time.  

Do come back and let us get to know you better.   I'm betting you have a wonderful sense of humor that we could all enjoy.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dfish said:

I'm sorry  your remark was misinterpreted.  Far too often the written word is not taken in the light it was offered.  Without intonations and facial expressions, we can only interpret according to our own experiences.  

We do discuss cruising on this thread.  Our destinations of the day are often cruise destinations and we share our experiences in those destinations.  During the pause this did become a home for many of us who were isolated in our homes.  A lot of us are single and the touch of humanity here really helped get through that time.  

Do come back and let us get to know you better.   I'm betting you have a wonderful sense of humor that we could all enjoy.

oh so that is how it started during the pandemic.  got it. 

Also glad to hear from YOU as I like your recipes.

Like I told Graham, I might wander back in to lurk but I doubt I will post much.   Perhaps I did mis judge a bit.   toodles and I too am single.

• Like 12

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

oh so that is how it started during the pandemic.  got it. 

Also glad to hear from YOU as I like your recipes.

Like I told Graham, I might wander back in to lurk but I doubt I will post much.   Perhaps I did mis judge a bit.   toodles and I too am single.

We'll look forward to seeing you.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Thank you.

I always look forward to chatting with you and I'm certain you will always be welcome on here.

Best regards.

Graham.

• Like 12