Covid Injections for European Sailings

gordylad

I've read several articles recently stating that European countries are requiring your last vaccination to be within the past 270 days.  Therefore, if you were fully vaxed prior to that, then it's mostly likely they'll require a booster.  Royal/Celebrity hasn't yet announced their Summer European requirements, but they will have to reflect the local country guidelines.

Edited by dunedinmaiden
correction
  • Like 4

Celebrity doesn't have a policy for Europe yet, just US and Galapagos. You should follow along the countries you plan to visit to make sure you meet their requirements (which are rapidly changing). If testing is required, you would need to provide a negative test normally 2 days before sailing, in addition to the vaccine. But they haven't firmed up that for Europe yet.

Edited by sydbarrett

Thanks. The following is useful for couples like us who have had their 2 injections but not a booster. And the booster seems to be the stumbling block.

I did not realise that in Italy the state of emergency has been extended to the end of March. As our cruise is due to leave Italy beginning of June I am hopeful but not overly confident it will happen.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/02/07/what-s-the-latest-on-european-travel-restrictions

We are triple vaccinated having had the booster injection in September 2021. We are booked on the Reflection TA October 31, 2022. Because of the requirement of  having vaccinations within 270 days of entering Spain, we may be unable to even fly in to Spain and arrive on the 31st and go right to the ship. Even our Booster will be more than 270 days. What are U.S. citizens supposed to do if this regulation remains unchanged and if the 4th vaccine is not recommended in the U.S. at that time?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cruising is my passion said:

We are triple vaccinated having had the booster injection in September 2021. We are booked on the Reflection TA October 31, 2022. Because of the requirement of  having vaccinations within 270 days of entering Spain, we may be unable to even fly in to Spain and arrive on the 31st and go right to the ship. Even our Booster will be more than 270 days. What are U.S. citizens supposed to do if this regulation remains unchanged and if the 4th vaccine is not recommended in the U.S. at that time?

It's a bit premature to concern yourself with that since the policies keep changing. We're in the same boat with 3 B2B cruises starting in May. Embarking in Spain, disembarking in England. Cruises, flights, pre and post cruise hotels booked. No tour bookings yet. I'm just waiting and monitoring the situation, which is all you can do at this point. 

22 minutes ago, Cruising is my passion said:

Patience is a virtue and is its own reward; but lately seems to be evidenced by few. This is a situation that calls for its practice. In other words- wait. Don't worry about it until you find out there is a reason to worry.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cruising is my passion said:

9 months out is a massive amount of time in today's environment. All you can do is wait and see. Cancel if totally necessary. It's probably safe to say that European sailings will be more complicated than cruises from the US to the Caribbean. Aside from that, it's anyone's guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising is my passion said:

I'm with you on this.  I understand that things are changing, but when your final payment is the end of March and you are scheduled to leave for Europe the 21st of June and board your ship 2 July, you really feel like you would like to have just a bit of clarity.  You can have all the patience in the world, but it's too late after you have paid the cash which is one of the reasons I was hoping that Celebrity would extend final payment for us passengers cruising this summer.  We're hoping the third time is a charm with this cruise because we really want to go, but wow there is still so much unknown. 

3 hours ago, Cruising is my passion said:

In the US,  with the wide availability of boosters, I think some people would just get another booster dose (4th) to meet the travel dates for wherever they are going.  In the near future IMO,  the COVID boosters will be treated in the USA just like other traveler's vaccines.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruising is my passion said:

You are misunderstanding Spain's requirement. If the final dose of your original vaccination is more then 270 days ago, then you need to have received a booster shot. It does NOT mean that your booster shot needs to be < 270 days ago.

By simply having received your booster jab, you are good to go in Spain this October. Of course, this assumes that nothing changes in terms of the requirement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, islandgirlejfan said:

...when your final payment is the end of March and you are scheduled to leave for Europe the 21st of June and board your ship 2 July, you really feel like you would like to have just a bit of clarity

The end of March  is still 6 weeks away. A veritable lifetime when it comes to Covid protocols. Until then, find something else to worry about.

1 hour ago, islandgirlejfan said:

I'm with you on this.  I understand that things are changing, but when your final payment is the end of March and you are scheduled to leave for Europe the 21st of June and board your ship 2 July, you really feel like you would like to have just a bit of clarity.  You can have all the patience in the world, but it's too late after you have paid the cash which is one of the reasons I was hoping that Celebrity would extend final payment for us passengers cruising this summer.  We're hoping the third time is a charm with this cruise because we really want to go, but wow there is still so much unknown. 

The EU is quite clear that if a person was vaccinated (1 or 2 shots per the vaccine) they require a booster if the last shot was over 270 days ago.  Without the above as of 22 February a person cannot enter the EU.

Important to note the EU entry rules have changed 4 times since December!  Each change a bit more restrictive.  I assume the UK rules are similar or the same

Obviously if one cannot enter the EU it would be impossible to sail from same.

No possible way to determine rules or even if cruising from the EU and UK will happen.  If this is too stressful I would not be sailing.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

On 2/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, RichYak said:

You are misunderstanding Spain's requirement. If the final dose of your original vaccination is more then 270 days ago, then you need to have received a booster shot. It does NOT mean that your booster shot needs to be < 270 days ago.

By simply having received your booster jab, you are good to go in Spain this October. Of course, this assumes that nothing changes in terms of the requirement.

you are right... found this article with good information https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/booster-jab-travel-do-need-entry-requirements-spain-france-portugal-explained-1455976

• Like 2

FYI, I just was going over my requirements for Italy for my 8/8 cruise. Very recent Government changes have entry with 2 shots having an expiration period, 6 months. However with the third booster shot it was revised a few days ago to unlimited validity, no expiration. They realized some had early boosters and no one except Israel is doing 4 shots. So with a booster shot your good to enter Italy properly no matter when given. I just filled out the EU- Digital Locator  on my I phone for each of us that is also required. You can complete anytime as it is easy to update if needed. It has on page 1 a square digital box that will be scanned by Italian health upon arrival. You will need to show airline to board. I also heard the Rome terminal that all US airlines go out of have the necessary Covid test available. I did not hear of going to another terminal for security first. Any more input feel free!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1