Why do you eat dinner in the Oceanview Cafe?

dateacher

TIME, some nights we want to grab a quick meal and get on with the evening 

The Windjammer buffet convinced us to switch from Cruising on Carnival to move to Royal. We then heard so many great things about the X experience while cruising on Royal that we made another shift

We are scheduled on Edge the first of March, we are interested to experience the “new norm” of cruising 

Because cruise ship MDR food just isn’t that great. I disagree with the notion that dressing up (people and food) makes the main game (eating) any more enjoyable - quite the opposite actually. Even on our favourite cruise line Oceania, frequently awarded for exceptional food, we normally eat at the buffet.

I am a reformed vegetarian who spent a lot of my working life in Asia. Western food doesn’t appeal to me in the main, and I like to be able to pick and put together a plate of food that other people might consider a little bizarre.  It’s not uncommon at all for me not to want to eat anything that’s on the menu with the MDR.  

Edited by lahore
  • Like 5

The buffet is an option when you get to the MDR and have to wait in a long line to get a table.  Those wait lines can get very long.  People road and are sometimes nasty.  Buffet is especially good if you still want to social distance.  It is also a way to eat outside if weather is good. We loved eating in buffet in scenic places. Nothing can compare to a dinner in Alaska on deck looking at the glaciers. 
Main reason to keep the buffet as a good option for dinner is to spread people out. Covid is still out there. Dinner wait lines are a ripe host for Covid.  
Those buzzer boxes that they give out when you are waiting for a table are filthy.  
There are many good reasons to eat dinner in the buffet. celebrity isn’t listening.  

• Like 5

I've gone to the OV a few times as we go on longer cruises (usually 11 or 12 nights).  I sometimes just want a break from the multi course meals and being fussed over in Luminae.  Or if I am not too hungry and just want a salad.  I do think the MDR has good food and so does Luminae.  But, it is good to take a break and have a plain old simple meal with no fuss sometimes when on a longer cruise.  

• Like 1

We will be cruising on the Silhouette March 13th-23rd.  This will be our first cruise since Covid after many wonderful cruises with Celebrity. We are thinking that it will be better to eat in the OVC and take the food outside if weather permits. Just heard of a couple we know who came back from an NCL cruise and 2 days later both have Covid. Getting very nervous about going now. Any suggestions

We like the made to order pasta station and pizza on Apex (April last year) and Infinity (Oct last year) typically a little later at night. But we have read on other posts that some ships/itineraries that the made to order pasta bar is no longer available? Are these still available on recent, this year, cruises?

• Like 1

It's quiet, fast, and there used to be lots of things to try.  The MDR is often noisy and hectic.  The buffet allows you to go at your own pace, sit where you want, and have a peaceful experience.  It also allows you to show up when you want.

• Like 5

Guest TopoChico

We usually ate at the buffet for dinner on the nights we got a rum buzz on the beach and had to take extra long naps when getting back on board. Last cruise we got burned- the dinner buffet was fairly non-existent and we were hung over and scrounging around for something decent to eat because room service was inundated with people who also had the same issue.
We’re doing Tuscan Grill 3x on our next sailing in June, and Sushi on Five twice, once for full dinner, and once just for appetizers and sake’s, then room service dinner. The other nights we’re In Bermuda and eating off ship. 
Side note: Skip the lobster Alfredo in TG.  It really stunk. 

Edited by TopoChico

8 hours ago, Son Lover said:

We will be cruising on the Silhouette March 13th-23rd.  This will be our first cruise since Covid after many wonderful cruises with Celebrity. We are thinking that it will be better to eat in the OVC and take the food outside if weather permits. Just heard of a couple we know who came back from an NCL cruise and 2 days later both have Covid. Getting very nervous about going now. Any suggestions

I hate the two tops in the MDR as they are so close together. Hubby had cancer so I asked to be farther away. Still didn’t work so we OVC for dinner, MDR  for breakfast and lunch as they could accommodate our request. One word of caution is that food was not that great but we managed to find something to eat.

1 hour ago, TopoChico said:

We usually ate at the buffet for dinner on the nights we got a rum buzz on the beach and had to take extra long naps when getting back on board. Last cruise we got burned- the dinner buffet was fairly non-existent and we were hung over and scrounging around for something decent to eat because room service was inundated with people who also had the same issue.
We’re doing Tuscan Grill 3x on our next sailing in June, and Sushi on Five twice, once for full dinner, and once just for appetizers and sake’s, then room service dinner. The other nights we’re In Bermuda and eating off ship. 

1 hour ago, TopoChico said:

Based on our B2B2B Christmas/NYE cruise: totally agree with your comment about the lobster Alfredo:  one micro piece of lobster (I think) & the noodles would have been great for tires on my car!  For DH: Short rib pappardelle : again micro amount of meat and the rest of the plate was rubbery  noodles.  Not only would we not pay $55 p.p. for this type of food in a restaurant, but we cancelled  our remaining reservations in T.G.  At this time, we do not plan to eat there on our upcoming cruise in  53 days.

Guest TopoChico
18 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Based on our B2B2B Christmas/NYE cruise: totally agree with your comment about the lobster Alfredo:  one micro piece of lobster (I think) & the noodles would have been great for tires on my car!  For DH: Short rib pappardelle : again micro amount of meat and the rest of the plate was rubbery  noodles.  Not only would we not pay $55 p.p. for this type of food in a restaurant, but we cancelled  our remaining reservations in T.G.  At this time, we do not plan to eat there on our upcoming cruise in  53 days.

Yeah, the Italian side of the menu was horrible.  But the steaks were pretty good. Better than the MDR which was pretty terrible too. 

Guest TopoChico
8 minutes ago, Canuker said:

"...horrible....terrible".

Can you elaborate?

Small portions of mediocre - at best - menu items.  Water-sogged tiny shrimp cocktail, cold soup.,,they were “out of “ Rosé the entire week in the dining room. 

wet lettuce in bottled dressing quality Caesar salad, undercooked raw salmon, Small chewy overcooked steak.   Sides I can’t even remember because I didn’t eat them. 

Tuscan grill pasta was chewy and undercooked.  Weak watery sauces, little to no meat/fish in them.  Gnocchi was like the kind I buy in the pasta aisle at the supermarket for $3.99. 
I can elaborate more…. 

Edited by TopoChico

Guest TopoChico
41 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

I would not be sailing Celebrity again if it were not for the fact I was gifted a cruise in June. But given the choice between MDR and Tuscan grill, the MDR was bad enough that I’d not eat there again even if they paid me to. 

18 hours ago, lahore said:

Because cruise ship MDR food just isn’t that great. I disagree with the notion that dressing up (people and food) makes the main game (eating) any more enjoyable - quite the opposite actually. Even on our favourite cruise line Oceania, frequently awarded for exceptional food, we normally eat at the buffet.

I am a reformed vegetarian who spent a lot of my working life in Asia. Western food doesn’t appeal to me in the main, and I like to be able to pick and put together a plate of food that other people might consider a little bizarre.  It’s not uncommon at all for me not to want to eat anything that’s on the menu with the MDR.  

I have a good friend who cruised on Oceania for 14 days and never once went into any of the dining rooms…always the Cafe!  

9 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I hate the two tops in the MDR as they are so close together. Hubby had cancer so I asked to be farther away. Still didn’t work so we OVC for dinner, MDR  for breakfast and lunch as they could accommodate our request. One word of caution is that food was not that great but we managed to find something to eat.

I really hope the dining on our upcoming cruise isn't that bad. We are elite plus on X and have NEVER eaten in MDR, but with the buffet cutbacks are going to give it a try...I guess we can always just go to MDR, get our food and take it to GO! 

I really hope the MDR isn't crowded and noisy (we are on Edge, so there are 4 smaller rooms...hope that helps keep noise down?) It is (was) so nice to go to the buffet, get exactly what you want, and then sit outside and enjoy the peace and quiet!

12 hours ago, Canuker said:

"...horrible....terrible".

Can you elaborate?

I'll second that the pasta in Tuscan Grille was NOT good.  The antipasta board was very good and fun.  The salads were good but nothing to sing songs about.  Sides were good.  My wife enjoyed her branzino when we both dined in there.  The steak I had that night was excellent, but the steak I had a month later (on a solo and on a different ship) was tougher than Bad Leroy Brown.  All this was post-Covid, and neither of those steaks seem to be on the menu any longer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on the Apex at the end of January. There have been changes to food since beginning of 2023.  Not always excited about menus in the 4 MDRs, we chose to eat in OVC 2 nights, and almost a 3rd.  While OVC at lunch is pretty bountiful, the dinner buffets are scaled back close to 75%.  We were fortunate that the Pasta Bar was open and got a great meal on two evenings. The atmosphere is very laid back. 

On the 3rd night, we walked through and decided the options just were not there, so we went to one of the MDRs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dave Judy said:

We were on the Apex at the end of January. There have been changes to food since beginning of 2023.  Not always excited about menus in the 4 MDRs, we chose to eat in OVC 2 nights, and almost a 3rd.  While OVC at lunch is pretty bountiful, the dinner buffets are scaled back close to 75%.  We were fortunate that the Pasta Bar was open and got a great meal on two evenings. The atmosphere is very laid back. 

On the 3rd night, we walked through and decided the options just were not there, so we went to one of the MDRs.  

75%?? from all reports, pics, and videos, it looks more like 25% at best 

Edited by D C

5 minutes ago, D C said:

My experience equates to that of D C.  But as mentioned numerous times on CC:  food portions and availability is like Art: VERY subjective. 🙂

51 minutes ago, D C said:

43 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

My experience equates to that of D C.  But as mentioned numerous times on CC:  food portions and availability is like Art: VERY subjective. 🙂

There may be a misunderstand here (or not).  I believe the person was stating that the offerings were scaled back by 75% to 25%.  I could be wrong!

• Like 5