Help! Which Itinerary Would You Choose!!

EMc&DrS

We're wanting to book our first European cruise for this summer and we've narrowed it down to two very different itineraries on two difference ships/cruise lines (Celebrity Reflection vs HAL Rotterdam VII). We've sailed the Reflection three times and loved it. The Rotterdam is brand new, but we've sailed on her sister ship, Koningsdam, and loved it, too. We'd probably book Aqua Class on Celebrity, and we have a regular balcony room on hold with a giant oversized balcony on Rotterdam. Other than the two embarkation cities, we have never been to any of the destinations on either itinerary. Reflection is an 11-day cruise while HAL is a B2B two-week cruise with all stops in Norway. We're curious if any of you who have cruised many of the routes in Europe will have strong opinions about one cruise vs the other. I'll post this same topic on the HAL board as well.

Reflection itinerary: Rome; Messina, Sicily; day at sea; Santorini; Mykonos; 26 hours in Istanbul; Kusadasi, Turkey; Athens; Day at Sea; Naples; Rome

Rotterdam itinerary: Amsterdam; Day at Sea; Oslofjord to Oslo; Kristiansand; Stavanger; Sognefjord to Flåm; Day at Sea; Amsterdam; Day at Sea; Hardangerfjord to Eidfjord; Alesund; Geiranger Fjord to Geiranger; Bergen; Day at Sea; Amsterdam

Like I said, two very different itineraries.  Price is about the same, so not really a factor. Any opinions are welcome!  Thanks in advance.

hello I answered you on the HAL thread but will repeat here.

pick the HAL ship - sorry X but the cruise to Northern Europe will be a bit cooler.  and summer is a good time in Northern Europe with long days of light.  And Rotterdam is a new ship.

I would do the Med trip on Apex or Edge.  Just my two cents.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

hello I answered you on the HAL thread but will repeat here.

pick the HAL ship - sorry X but the cruise to Northern Europe will be a bit cooler.  and summer is a good time in Northern Europe with long days of light.  And Rotterdam is a new ship.

I would do the Med trip on Apex or Edge.  Just my two cents.

Thanks for your feedback! We sailed the Edge with Captain Kate back in July--at 50% capacity. Fantastic cruise! I'd sail Edge class again in a heartbeat.

Edited by EMc&DrS

Just now, EMc&DrS said:

Thanks for your feedback!

very welcome.  Deciding how, when, why to cruise is part of the planning fun.

But in the end weather and cost usually helps the most.  but truly the Norway trip is WONDERFUL and scenic too.   Geiranger is wonderful and also Alesund was fun with wonderful views from up top of the city.  see below photo from Aksal lookout with my ship Serenade OTS

P8140206 from Aksla Lookout.JPG

• Like 1

Having done a port intensive itinerary, I would lean towards the cruise with more sea days as gaps between stops, especially if the ports require a long bus or train ride to see what you want. I just found that a cruise of daily port stops was just too taxing. When it's all over you don't feel that rested.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Having done a port intensive itinerary, I would lean towards the cruise with more sea days as gaps between stops, especially if the ports require a long bus or train ride to see what you want. I just found that a cruise of daily port stops was just too taxing. When it's all over you don't feel that rested.

well yes but at least it is better than bus tours that stop in a different hotel every night or every other night. I used to like sea days but if more than one I get bored as I feel like I can rest at home.

I mean I like both, but if someone asks me to compare Norway to other places, Norway would always win just like Alaska would win too.

• Like 1

Even though I love the Med itinerary, it will be hot as hell there as we did this one years ago in July. We loved the itinerary but with temps over 100F in some ports…Athens and Turkey…I would do this cruise at another time of year. We were travelling with another couple and she was a teacher so July was the option. I would do the HAL cruise at that time of year. That is one area that I haven’t travelled to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

We're wanting to book our first European cruise for this summer and we've narrowed it down to two very different itineraries on two difference ships/cruise lines (Celebrity Reflection vs HAL Rotterdam VII). We've sailed the Reflection three times and loved it. The Rotterdam is brand new, but we've sailed on her sister ship, Koningsdam, and loved it, too. We'd probably book Aqua Class on Celebrity, and we have a regular balcony room on hold with a giant oversized balcony on Rotterdam. Other than the two embarkation cities, we have never been to any of the destinations on either itinerary. Reflection is an 11-day cruise while HAL is a B2B two-week cruise with all stops in Norway. We're curious if any of you who have cruised many of the routes in Europe will have strong opinions about one cruise vs the other. I'll post this same topic on the HAL board as well.

Reflection itinerary: Rome; Messina, Sicily; day at sea; Santorini; Mykonos; 26 hours in Istanbul; Kusadasi, Turkey; Athens; Day at Sea; Naples; Rome

Rotterdam itinerary: Amsterdam; Day at Sea; Oslofjord to Oslo; Kristiansand; Stavanger; Sognefjord to Flåm; Day at Sea; Amsterdam; Day at Sea; Hardangerfjord to Eidfjord; Alesund; Geiranger Fjord to Geiranger; Bergen; Day at Sea; Amsterdam

Like I said, two very different itineraries.  Price is about the same, so not really a factor. Any opinions are welcome!  Thanks in advance.

You have and will continue to receive many different perspectives of why we all decide which is best for us.  When I find competing itineraries that both interest me, I get on Google and research, research, research, make copious notes, then I have to make the tough decision of which I know neither will be wrong and I will have a fantastic vacation whether by land or on sea.  IMO both of these itineraries look like however you decide, you're going to have a fantastic time!  Good luck, please come back and let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

What tugs at your "wanna sees" the most? Is it Norway's expansive splendor with its quiet fjords and remote, quaint towns? Or is it the historical magnificence of Pompeii, The Vatican, The Coliseum, The Acropolis, along with the old world charm and beauty of Sicily, Santorini and Turkey? What a nice choice to have to make. 

I have done similar itineraries, both spectacular in every sense of the word. I enjoyed them equally as much and I know that you will as well, should you have the opportunity to do both. For now, do what your "wanna sees" decide.     

• Like 1

I'd also go with the Norway cruise for summer. We have had two Med cruises, both in summer, both waaaaaay too hot. We've done the Baltic in July, and it was awesome! 

We are doing the Med in spring this year, and a Viking Homelands cruise, with a few Norwegian fjord ports and several Baltic ports in the summer. Now that we are retired and our kids are grown, we have this option, and I'm looking forward to it. 

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a fantastic time, and get to do the other itinerary some day. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

What tugs at your "wanna sees" the most? Is it Norway's expansive splendor with its quiet fjords and remote, quaint towns? Or is it the historical magnificence of Pompeii, The Vatican, The Coliseum, The Acropolis, along with the old world charm and beauty of Sicily, Santorini and Turkey? What a nice choice to have to make. 

I have done similar itineraries, both spectacular in every sense of the word. I enjoyed them equally as much and I know that you will as well, should you have the opportunity to do both. For now, do what your "wanna sees" decide.     

That's are problem in a nut shell. We want to see it all!!😂

• Like 1

Never cruised HAL, but that is a Very nice itineary…..that’s why I booked Apex for the Iceland/Ireland cruise out of Amsterdam, followed by the Norway itinerary. I’m doing it in ‘23, but there are a whole set of these cruises in ‘22 out of Amsterdam, a port we’d go to for 3-4 days prior. Love it. 

So many choices. Thought I’d complicate it for the OP. 

Den

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Never cruised HAL, but that is a Very nice itineary…..that’s why I booked Apex for the Iceland/Ireland cruise out of Amsterdam, followed by the Norway itinerary. I’m doing it in ‘23, but there are a whole set of these cruises in ‘22 out of Amsterdam, a port we’d go to for 3-4 days prior. Love it. 

So many choices. Thought I’d complicate it for the OP. 

Den

Den - We did the same b2b out of Dublin in 2018. Absolutely wonderful. Iceland is another must-see destination and shows itself in a myriad of splendid landscapes. With Norway backing Iceland up...WOW!! Heightened anticipation for your '23 Nordic adventure cannot be overstated. Stay patient, however, and prepare for something that will knock your socks off.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Den - We did the same b2b out of Dublin in 2018. Absolutely wonderful. Iceland is another must-see destination and shows itself in a myriad of splendid landscapes. Heightened anticipation for your '23 Nordic adventure cannot be overstated. Stay patient, however, and prepare for something that will knock your socks off.

Thank you Spif. I’m looking forward to walking through the the MidAtlantic Ridge exposure in Iceland! Got a degree in Geology and this is one of those Got to Do things. But this whole itinerary, for us, is a mix that can’t be missed. Staying days in Amsterdam, one of the most friendly and easy to visit cities; nice at sea days to relax; Many stops in Iceland; visiting Belfast, Liverpool and Dover - wow; then to Amsterdam and up to Norway, stopping in one of the small towns that a website listed as a must-see: Alesund!

Den

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Thank you Spif. I’m looking forward to walking through the the MidAtlantic Ridge exposure in Iceland! Got a degree in Geology and this is one of those Got to Do things. But this whole itinerary, for us, is a mix that can’t be missed. Staying days in Amsterdam, one of the most friendly and easy to visit cities; nice at sea days to relax; Many stops in Iceland; visiting Belfast, Liverpool and Dover - wow; then to Amsterdam and up to Norway, stopping in one of the small towns that a website listed as a must-see: Alesund!

Den

Careful, Den. I'm sensing a rapid increase in heart rate and excitement. You've got to strategically time your moments of controlled exhilaration. You don't want to get there before you get there...if you know what I mean.

23 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

I have been on the Second Half of your proposed Rotterdam Itinerary on HAL as well. It is wonderful and would not hesitate to do it. Well worth it. I have not been on the first half of it but for me, the Norway itinerary is a lot more exciting than the Italy one. 

5 hours ago, jolly_cruiser said:

I have been on the Second Half of your proposed Rotterdam Itinerary on HAL as well. It is wonderful and would not hesitate to do it. Well worth it. I have not been on the first half of it but for me, the Norway itinerary is a lot more exciting than the Italy one. 

That's encouraging to hear--thank you.