Is CATS really still on Oasis?!!

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Arguing details ignores the entire premise of the play... that women are second class

human beings, dependent on men, and any act, moral or immoral, justifies their perceived need to kowtow at the feet of the "cool" males.

Except that is not the premise of the play, and the play does not suggest that that is its message.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, yogimax said:

Arguing details ignores the entire premise of the play... that women are second class

human beings, dependent on men, and any act, moral or immoral, justifies their perceived need to kowtow at the feet of the "cool" males.

Sorry if you had a bad, sheltered or naive H.S. experience. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

I thought I enjoyed Grease.  After reading comments here, all I want to do is blow my brains out.  Ya'll suck the life out of...well...life.  

Absolutely. Welcome to the 2020's, everything is 😈 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Cancel Culture hasn't hit Grease, at least not yet.  If the vast majority thought it was bad, it would have been belaboured long ago. 

Eventually they'll come for everything 😌 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Cancel Culture hasn't hit Grease, at least not yet.  If the vast majority thought it was bad, it would have been belaboured long ago. 

How about we move on from Grease, and disect Grease 2 🤣🤣

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Two schools in Australia cancelled it last year.

2 out of 9,581 schools in Australia is a not even a blip. For all we know, those two schools might also allow book burnings.

In fact this discussion reminds me of another movie released 6 years after Grease, where values were questioned and you couldn’t dance in Beaumont. 

Stats on Australia school numbers.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/education/schools/latest-release

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

2 out of 9,581 schools in Australia is a not even a blip. For all we know, those two schools might also allow book burnings.

Stats on Australia school numbers.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/education/schools/latest-release

OOOh, statistics!  Yes, none of the pre-k or early learning schools have banned it.  That's convincing from somone who said it hadn't been "cancelled" at all.

"Footloose", another fine source of reality.

35 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

OOOh, statistics!  Yes, none of the pre-k or early learning schools have banned it.  That's convincing from somone who said it hadn't been "cancelled" at all.

You might want to reread my post.  I said "Cancel Culture" hasn't hit it yet, and the 2 schools you mention does not equate to what I was implying. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

52 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

What's the cancellation numbers from the other 190+ countries in the world. Half its $400 million box office was international tickets

Kinda grasping for relevance, don't ya think

Edited by John&LaLa

FWIW, the school version is toned down, but I guess the girls are still tramps.🤔

School versionEdit

In order to make the original musical suitable for young performers and audiences, Jim Jacobs decided to write a "school version" of the musical. This edition eliminates all of the references to cigarettes and alcohol, and also any swearing or bad language. Most of the songs have also undergone changes as well; the numbers are all shortened greatly and edited for content/language. Some plot lines are missing from the school version, such as Rizzo's pregnancy and her song "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" and "Hopelessly Devoted to You". This section is entirely cut from the script and score. The beginning of the pajama party in Marty's bedroom is also cut. (In this version, the Pink Ladies do not offer Sandy cigarettes or wine. Instead it begins directly with piercing her ears.) Overall, this version is considered to be G-rated.[41]

In addition to the removal of "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" and "Hopelessly Devoted to You", the following songs of the School Version have undergone lyric changes:[42]

• "Alma Mater Parody"
  • "Summer Nights"
  • "Freddy, My Love"
  • "Greased Lightnin'"
  • "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee"
  • "Beauty School Dropout"

The remainder of the songs have been greatly edited for time, deleting several verses from the original songs.[42]

A version of the play is available that keeps some of the adult references and innuendo but excises some of the more explicit lyrics.

• 1 year later...

I sailed on Oasis in Dec 2022.  I had seen video clips of Cats on the internet so i knew to sit in the back in case I wanted to leave early.  My 36 year old daughter and I made it through 10 minutes of the show before leaving.  The stage was dark and gloomy.  Watching the actors perform cat like movements in slow motion was painful to watch.    

Oasis is a great ship.  I hope they can find a show that suits them better in the future.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skbell456 said:

I sailed on Oasis in Dec 2022.  I had seen video clips of Cats on the internet so i knew to sit in the back in case I wanted to leave early.  My 36 year old daughter and I made it through 10 minutes of the show before leaving.  The stage was dark and gloomy.  Watching the actors perform cat like movements in slow motion was painful to watch.    

Oasis is a great ship.  I hope they can find a show that suits them better in the future.  

Is this an attempt to get John and LaLa back on this thread?

We enjoyed Grease- very entertaining-  People will find fault with Mamma Mia, Chicago etc.  Can't please everyone-  We have been on the Oasis  many times and do not like cats.  Didn't like it on broadway either.  So many shows that Royal can do- that would entertain it's return guests.  Time for a change.  Fares have increased so much, surely Royal can invest in new shows every three years.  

Cats may well be very successful in theatre land.   That's because they have a larger group of potential bums on seats and those people actively want to watch it.    People will travel a long way to see a show they like.  Also, if you have paid big bucks to see a show, you are probably less likely to walk out if it has proved to be not what you thought it would be.   Bit different on a ship. 

I thought it was dreary. 

As an aside, last night I saw Kinky Boots.   I didn't know any of the songs, but they were mainly upbeat, toe tapping numbers.    There was colour, there was comedy, there was a story.       All a bit lacking in Cats

Grease, I think is a story of its time.    I don't know much about the 1950s but it is probably a good reflection of what life was like for women then, (making a man happy, sexism, the shame of a pregnancy etc).  I think stories set in the past should reflect the values of that time.  We should not use modern values to assess such things. 

As for the men and their rude songs, I reckon men are still like this when women aren't watching them!

Edited by Suzieanna

3 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

They HAVE added a stage show that starts this month, called One Sky. Apparently it was on before covid but didn't last long before the shut down, So I'm excited to at least have another shop option coming up! 

Too bad it’s not on this week. Theatre entertainment is weak this cruise, haven’t been there once and we typically go often. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We enjoyed Grease- very entertaining-  People will find fault with Mamma Mia, Chicago etc.  Can't please everyone-  We have been on the Oasis  many times and do not like cats.  Didn't like it on broadway either.  So many shows that Royal can do- that would entertain it's return guests.  Time for a change.  Fares have increased so much, surely Royal can invest in new shows every three years.  

My foggy crystal ball says we have seen the last of Royal spending money on Broadway shows. In fact they are spending less everywhere. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

Until someone finds out about the contract for Cats, asking for a replacement will be like hitting your head against a wall.  

I know it's been on the ship for less than 10 years since DW and I saw Hairspray on Oasis in 2013.  It can't be easy/cheap to replace a Broadway style show.

When we were on Mariner last year, I went to all of the shows in the theater.  I don't think any of them had a plot line.  It was a bunch of singing, dancing, and changing of sets.

As far as Cats, I went to see it in Chicago in HS as part of a field trip.  I remember liking the majority of the songs and thought the staging and costumes were done well. 

3 hours ago, Suzieanna said:

Grease, I think is a story of its time.    I don't know much about the 1950s but it is probably a good reflection of what life was like for women then, (making a man happy, sexism, the shame of a pregnancy etc).  I think stories set in the past should reflect the values of that time.  We should not use modern values to assess such things. 

As for the men and their rude songs, I reckon men are still like this when women aren't watching them!

Respectfully disagree.  Grease is a sexist show that is disgustingly misogynist.  (I'm a male, by the way).  It is an exaggeration of life in the 50s and focuses on Sandy's surrender of her values to please a guy.  And no, we must use modern values to evaluate the past.  Otherwise, the mistakes of the past become meaningless.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

My foggy crystal ball says we have seen the last of Royal spending money on Broadway shows. In fact they are spending less everywhere. 

mac_tlc

While technically not a Broadway show, even though it was on Broadway in the early 1900's it was probably not cheap to add Wizard of Oz to the Icon.