Does anyone else feel cheated?

bubbapk1

We were on the Reflection in May 2019...  it was announced then that after the 2019 season, Dublin was no longer interested in cruise ships doing port stops...  commercial cargo has a better return for the city.  

Surprised Celebrity left this so long, but highly doubt it's a vast conspiracy 🙂

Edited by cruise kitty
  • Thanks 2

It’s a shame that Celebrity has pulled out of Dublin but If Dublin is a city you really want to visit, then you could fly over before your cruise and spend some time there with day trips around the area. Then fly over to Amsterdam to catch your cruise. They do have non stops from Dublin to Amsterdam. Just something to think about.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

It’s a shame that Celebrity has pulled out of Dublin but If Dublin is a city you really want to visit, then you could fly over before your cruise and spend some time there with day trips around the area. Then fly over to Amsterdam to catch your cruise. They do have non stops from Dublin to Amsterdam. Just something to think about.

They would also get to experience much more of Dublin.

41 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Hi

As I posted on another thread,with 2 days in Liverpool they could fly Ryanair on Day 1 from LJLA to Dublin at 08:25 and fly back at 21:00ish and have a full day in Dublin.

Some great offers on Irish whiskey in Dublin Duty Free shop.

Its only a 50 min flight.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Miaminice.

IMO Waterford is not a patch on Cobh.besides it’s a tender port and the sea between The UK and Ireland are not the smoothest.

I have been on many cruises where ports have been cancelled,,that doesn’t phase me,,,things happen.

But when Celebrity cancels a cruise quoting COVID when no protocol exists stopping cruise ships docking in Ireland,,,,,I don’t feel comfortable with that and I can understand those on that cruise being disappointed.

Btw,a good afternoon can be had in Dublin,,live Irish music everywhere,try O’Donoghues or the Oliver St John Gogharty in Temple Bar.

Waterford was the replacement for Dublin on our cruise - not for Cobh.

Cork was the replacement for Cobh. I can live with both.

Rough seas… ?!?! 😉 I am on a ship. The element is water. I can definitely live with the technicalities which come with it. Otherwise I wouldn’t choose a cruise for a vacation.

Definitely prefer these Dublin places at night when I can stay longer and enjoy them without having to catch a bus or cab back 😁

Last but not least… Covid sure isn’t and wasn’t the reason for all changes. It’s the easiest universal explanation to use though - and that goes for all cruise lines. Hardly a surprise - given that the discussions on CC, Facebook and roll calls are endless regardless what they say. And we are proof of that, aren’t we?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Waterford was the replacement for Dublin on our cruise - not for Cobh.

Cork was the replacement for Cobh. I can live with both.

Rough seas… ?!?! 😉 I am on a ship. The element is water. I can definitely live with the technicalities which come with it. Otherwise I wouldn’t choose a cruise for a vacation.

Definitely prefer these Dublin places at night when I can stay longer and enjoy them without having to catch a bus or cab back 😁

Last but not least… Covid sure isn’t and wasn’t the reason for all changes. It’s the easiest universal explanation to use though - and that goes for all cruise lines. Hardly a surprise - given that the discussions on CC, Facebook and roll calls are endless regardless what they say. And we are proof of that, aren’t we?

Hi

Genuinely interested,,,,I never knew cruise ships could dock in Cork,,,I’ve never seen one.

I always thought Cobh was the port for Cork.

As for rough seas,,my comment concerned tenders to shore,,bit hit and miss like Guernsey,,,,,,6 times planned visit got ashore twice.

My only interest in this thread was simply Celebrity saying it was due to COVID,,,I don’t believe them,business shouldn’t be putting out misleading statements,,,

Celebrity is my cruise line of choice that doesn’t mean I can’t criticise them when I think they are pulling the wool over peoples eyes.

ps..I am not on this cruise I have no axe to grind,I am on Silhouette in April,,,,,,unless the cancel Southampton due to COVID.😉

6 hours ago, bubbapk1 said:

Long story cut short.... We booked three years ago for the British Isles cruise out of Dublin. That was in 2020 when everything got canceled. We rebooked for the following year (2021), which was eventually cancelled again. Third time being the charm, we booked for May of 2022, but leaving out of Amsterdam, but still going to Dublin along the way. Everything was looking good, till last night. We received an email from Celebrity saying that due to Covid-related issues, we will not be stopping in Dublin, but giving us an overnight in Liverpool. We really wanted to go to Dublin, so we are very disappointed. 

I decided to look at what was the hold up in Dublin as they no longer have any testing requirements. It seems that as early as May of 2021, Dublin's port authority said no to cruises over a certain size, in turn pissing off the shop owners and businesses. 

So, why didn't Celebrity tell us about that a year ago? I understand itineraries change, but this was known for a long time......

We are on one of those May Apex cruises. The closing of Dublin has been discussed for a year on the roll call. Frankly, I’m just happy Celebrity cancelled now, with plenty of time to make other arrangements. Am I disappointed? For sure, Dublin was a stop I was definitely looking forward to - honestly could care less about the Beatles or the Titanic, but it is what it is.

And according to Irish shipping news in a link on the toll call, it is more about Brexit than Covid.

• Thanks 1

When you get right down to it, I definitely feel cheated by the COVID Pandemic, not the cruise lines.   We have had 8+ cruises cancelled and hope that is the end of it.    We have cruised twice since July 21 and it was a different experience.   Until we actually boarded, we weren’t sure we would actually cruise.    Definitely wasn’t sure of sailing to any specific ports and were not counting on getting to any specifically.   Lucky for us we did get to all the ports in the Med and in Central America, but not in the original order.    Panama was the only country requiring cruise line tours to get off the ship.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Genuinely interested,,,,I never knew cruise ships could dock in Cork,,,I’ve never seen one.

I always thought Cobh was the port for Cork.

Cork Ringaskiddy is the port which replaced Cobh. Just across the bay, from Cobh about the same distance to Cork city.

59 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Thanks.

Better be there early if you want a seat in the towns only pub,,,The Ferry Inn.😁

Blarney Castle was our plan for this time. And it doesn´t really make much of a difference for that.

Maybe the "Ferry Boat Inn" bribed Celebrity into the change 😉

Edited by Miaminice

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Cork Ringaskiddy is the port which replaced Cobh. Just across the bay, from Cobh about the same distance to Cork city.

disappointed with this . Cobh is where my gr gr grandparents live and my Gr grandfather grew up. It was magically docking there for me.

19 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I feel your frustration, we have 6 canceled Europe and Mediterranean cruises canceled in the last 2 years, one booked as early as 2018. If it's not Covid it's the possibility of war between Russia and Ukraine, which is why WE canceled our Baltic cruise this year, because of the possibility of missing St Petersburg, our main reason for going. We replaced the Baltics with a cruise RT from Rome of Italy and Croatia followed by a 14-night Greek cruise that we have booked and had canceled 4 times in last 2 years.

Might be worth actually looking at a map first! Lol

Also, a lot of entitled posters here. 
I’m sure the cruise lines and their staff are doing their best. Get over yourselves and give them a break. 
As someone posted earlier he’d rather be on a cruise to nowhere than sit at his office desk.

We witnessed some very selfish people on our last short UK cruise, all of whom were retired. Not moving seats in the theatre, trying to get into elevators which already had four people and complaining to helpless staff about not getting into a port because of bad weather.

On arrival in Southampton, six hours late, those of us with jobs who were trying to get off to get to our work, were hampered by the entitled retired who insisted they get off first.
They toddled off with no respect for the ‘younger ones’ who tried to get past. We were the ones who hadn’t complained, we’d been respectful to staff and fellow guests and were there for the enjoyment.

Seems that some of the posters here are the same people with nothing better to do than to complain on the keyboard.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

I’m sure the cruise lines and their staff are doing their best. Get over yourselves and give them a break. 
As someone posted earlier he’d rather be on a cruise to nowhere than sit at his office desk.

We witnessed some very selfish people on our last short UK cruise, all of whom were retired. Not moving seats in the theatre, trying to get into elevators which already had four people and complaining to helpless staff about not getting into a port because of bad weather.

On arrival in Southampton, six hours late, those of us with jobs who were trying to get off to get to our work, were hampered by the entitled retired who insisted they get off first.
They toddled off with no respect for the ‘younger ones’ who tried to get past. We were the ones who hadn’t complained, we’d been respectful to staff and fellow guests and were there for the enjoyment.

Seems that some of the posters here are the same people with nothing better to do than to complain on the keyboard.

Actually from your post you sound more like a member of the CC entitled you complain about. LOL

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Liverpool is a great port to visit, there is so much to see within walking distance of the ship and it's not just all about the Beatles!!

The Albert Dock area is good for eating and drinking and the Maritime Museum is really good, well worth a visit. 

There is so much wonderful architecture, the Museum of Liverpool, Central Library, St George's Hall the Walker Art Gallery, the 3 Graces on the Waterfront to name a few.

I live 'over the water' on the Wirral and love living so close to this amazing place 🥰

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Blarney Castle was our plan for this time. And it doesn´t really make much of a difference for that.

Maybe the "Ferry Boat Inn" bribed Celebrity into the change 😉

Hi

Spike Island in Cork Harbour is worth a visit,,a great history as a Barracks,Hospital and Prison.

Dont kiss the Blarney Stone if you suffer back problems.
Mind you there are a few on here that don’t need to kiss the Blarney Stone to get the ‘gift of the gab’.😂

I did Ireland and Iceland on Reflection in May 2019,,loved it……Enjoy.

Spike Island…that’s probably Ringaskiddy in the background.

42FC61D1-6C22-450B-8027-79F05C19C142.jpeg.f8a80a774a83f6939a4949580cd8982f.jpeg

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Actually from your post you sound more like a member of the CC entitled you complain about. LOL

The whole post wasn’t directed at you dear! Just your lack of geographical knowledge lol.

I’m sure you’re a polite perfect guest, as most of us are! 
Happy cruising x

46 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Wow, as a recently retired (actually lost my job due covid) after working nearly 50 years I deeply resent your sweeping statement.

YOU sound very entitled .

Remember you too one day will be elderly with aches and pains  and can't move as fast as you can now. 

I saw none of this attitude on last summers Southampton cruises. Maybe I wasn't looking for it.

15 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

The whole post wasn’t directed at you dear! Just your lack of geographical knowledge lol.

I’m sure you’re a polite perfect guest, as most of us are! 
Happy cruising x

'Dear', how condescending!

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wirral Girlie said:

Liverpool is a great port to visit, there is so much to see within walking distance of the ship and it's not just all about the Beatles!!

The Albert Dock area is good for eating and drinking and the Maritime Museum is really good, well worth a visit. 

There is so much wonderful architecture, the Museum of Liverpool, Central Library, St George's Hall the Walker Art Gallery, the 3 Graces on the Waterfront to name a few.

I live 'over the water' on the Wirral and love living so close to this amazing place 🥰

We had a great time there last year. Our first visit. We took the ferry across the Mersey and then spent several hours wandering the streets and the docks. Even managed to spend a couple of hours in the museum. It was great that the cruise ship could go right into the centre of everything. Just walked off the ship and everything was within walking distance. 

16 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I did Ireland and Iceland on Reflection in May 2019,,loved it……Enjoy.

👍 Eclipse 2016. We also really enjoyed it at the time - which is why we booked it again on Apex June 7. Love Iceland and love Apex...

It is unfortunate to lose a port like Dublin.  But I would not feel cheated by Celebrity or anybody else.  It is all part of cruising right now.  Port changes announced everywhere.  Sometimes not anywhere this far in advance.  Sometimes the week of the cruise or during the actual cruise.  The worldwide pandemic is still very much ongoing.  Has anybody been following what is happening at major ports everywhere?  Cruise ships are the very least of their worries.  Throw in the Brexit changes for Dublin on top of that.  Believe me I really enjoy Dublin and the best way to experience it is to fly there and spend a few days at least.  I understand that cruises give you a brief flavor of a 1 day stop and that it is a disappointment to miss even that.  COVID has changed the rules in many ways, directly, and indirectly in some non-obvious ways.  

• Thanks 1