Cozumel Back to Back days, what if you missed the boat on first day?

coronagrey

@coronagrey/Breeze and @Pyxie/Ecstasy are both on Sailabration cruises and will meet up at sea. Breeze departs Cozumel at 2:00pm for the evening, culminating with a special midnight buffet. Anybody that misses the ship would miss the highlight of the cruise and the reason they paid more. The second day in Cozumel would be the day to plan your all day adventures.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Since covid no cruiseline has been allowing pax to join a cruise mis cruise. I dont know the whys but if not read of one instance it's been allowed and it's been posted many times already. No exceptions. Maybe its covid rules in ports .. who knows. 

But this wouldn't be joining mid-cruise. The cruise has 2 back to back port days in Cozumel and they are asking if they would let you rejoin if you missed the ship on the first Cozumel day.

7 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

But this wouldn't be joining mid-cruise. The cruise has 2 back to back port days in Cozumel and they are asking if they would let you rejoin if you missed the ship on the first Cozumel day.

Although it is not the same as missing the initial departure from the U.S., pretty sure it is posted that guests are to be back on board each night. This comes up when ships spend multiple days in Bermuda or Cabo. Plans can change in an emergency situation and they need to know that all guests are accounted for.

I am taking a UK cruise out of Dover this summer. I wanted to basically "miss" departure and then embark in Edinburgh (first port) because we will already be there for the Open and I didn't want to have to take a train all the way back down to Dover only to go back to where I came from. My TA called carnival and they said that this was not possible. She was told that if you miss the ship, you can't reboard later. 

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

I am taking a UK cruise out of Dover this summer. I wanted to basically "miss" departure and then embark in Edinburgh (first port) because we will already be there for the Open and I didn't want to have to take a train all the way back down to Dover only to go back to where I came from. My TA called carnival and they said that this was not possible. She was told that if you miss the ship, you can't reboard later. 

I think your TA should call back and hopefully talk with someone else.  This is usually allowed in Europe.  I think the rep she talked with was not familiar with sailings from Europe..  you might also ask on the ports of call board here for Northern Europe 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think your TA should call back and hopefully talk with someone else.  This is usually allowed in Europe.  I think the rep she talked with was not familiar with sailings from Europe..  you might also ask on the ports of call board here for Northern Europe 

If this is one of those "all UK ports" cruises, then it becomes very much like the US's PVSA, where a foreign flag ship cannot transport passengers between two UK ports.

I have no idea if our experience would apply here, as it was several years ago -- and pre-covid. But we did a Mediterranean cruise that had an overnight in Rome. We got off the ship and did not return until the next day. Rome is a distance away from the cruise port, so we planned to stay in Rome overnight rather than spending time going back and forth from the ship. 

It was no problem at all. We didn't ask permission. We just got off the ship. Went to Rome and spent the night. The next afternoon, we travelled back to the port and got back on board as usual. No questions asked. It was no problem at all. It was our understanding that dozens of passengers did the same thing.

YMMV. Don't take anything for granted. Especially in these crazy times with so many new rules due to the virus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckybecky said:

I have no idea if our experience would apply here, as it was several years ago -- and pre-covid. But we did a Mediterranean cruise that had an overnight in Rome. We got off the ship and did not return until the next day. Rome is a distance away from the cruise port, so we planned to stay in Rome overnight rather than spending time going back and forth from the ship. 

It was no problem at all. We didn't ask permission. We just got off the ship. Went to Rome and spent the night. The next afternoon, we travelled back to the port and got back on board as usual. No questions asked. It was no problem at all. It was our understanding that dozens of passengers did the same thing.

YMMV. Don't take anything for granted. Especially in these crazy times with so many new rules due to the virus.

I have read of no exceptions to what was stated above about boarding and missing ports or being allowed to later meet up. Maybe europe is different so they werent posted but since covid the answer has been a flat no for all cruiselines. Covid is being blamed.

5 hours ago, luckybecky said:

But we did a Mediterranean cruise that had an overnight in Rome

This is different.  In your case, the ship stayed at the dock overnight.  In the OP's case, from what I understand, the ship leaves port in the evening, and returns the next morning and sails again that evening.

18 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Since covid

no cruiseline has been allowing pax to join a cruise mid-cruise.

That goes a long way to explaining

why Carnival dropped their Southern Caribbean cruise loop

to Barbados and back.

Here in Barbados
we used to join that cruise mid-way ---and depart mid-way

Gee thanks Covid, you really screwed thing up!

South Carib itin-NEW.png

15 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

But, the sailing the OP is asking about is not a Mediterranean sailing. I know one we went one once could be booked from Barcelona (where we sailed from), Rome, or Marseilles. The sailing being specifically asked about most likely does not have multiple departure ports.

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

That goes a long way to explaining

why Carnival dropped their Southern Caribbean cruise loop

to Barbados and back.

Here in Barbados
we used to join that cruise mid-way ---and depart mid-way

Gee thanks Covid, you really screwed thing up!

South Carib itin-NEW.png

Didn't they use to sell that specific cruise with the option of San Juan or Barbados as an embarkation port? I think that is how it was being marketed when we sailed that itinerary from San Juan.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Didn't they use to sell that specific cruise with the option

of San Juan or Barbados as an embarkation port?

I think that is how it was being marketed

when we sailed that itinerary from San Juan.

You are correct.

It was one of the very few Carnival cruises

with more than one embarkation point -

and us islanders on Barbados took full advantage of it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

You are correct.

It was one of the very few Carnival cruises

with more than one embarkation point -

and us islanders on Barbados took full advantage of it!

That is known as "inter-porting", while the OP is looking at "downlining".  But, again, inter-porting would interfere with the covid protocols by mixing two passenger pools with different timelines.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, chengkp75 said:

That is known as "inter-porting", while the OP is looking at "downlining".  But, again, inter-porting would interfere with the covid protocols by mixing two passenger pools with different timelines.

So, @Aplmac is correct that the cessation of the Southern Caribbean cruises embarking from Barbados as well as San Juan is because of Covid.

Have the cruise lines in Europe also stopped the practice of multiple embarkation ports? I know when we sailed on the NCL Epic we sailed from Barcelona, but the ship could also be booked to sail from Rome and Marseilles. On our second night we attended the dinner theater for Circ d' Soleil, and the couple sitting next to us were on their last night on the cruise.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So, @Aplmac is correct that the cessation of the Southern Caribbean cruises embarking from Barbados as well as San Juan is because of Covid.

Have the cruise lines in Europe also stopped the practice of multiple embarkation ports? I know when we sailed on the NCL Epic we sailed from Barcelona, but the ship could also be booked to sail from Rome and Marseilles. On our second night we attended the dinner theater for Circ d' Soleil, and the couple sitting next to us were on their last night on the cruise.

Epic was our first European cruise but MSC was similar with med ports Barcelona, Marseilles, Genoa and Rome; sometimes others, but assume that was suspended due to Covid as were many longer itineraries,with many lines.

4 minutes ago, lizinvan said:

Epic was our first European cruise but MSC was similar with med ports Barcelona, Marseilles, Genoa and Rome; sometimes others, but assume that was suspended due to Covid as were many longer itineraries,with many lines.

Are those suspended? That is what I was asking.