Apex - Aft Sky Suite or regular Sky Suite

Shiba_Lover

Hello - has anyone sailed in an Aft sky suite on Apex (or perhaps Edge, which I believe is similar ship)?  We are booked in one for a trans-Atlantic crossing. I could change to a regular sky suite, as I usually am in the mid-ship location.  Never sailed in back of ship before.  I am intrigued by being able to watch sunset from my balcony if I would like to.  And also having the large balcony at the back of the ship.  Any big reason to move????

Personal preference.  Those aft cabins often sell at a premium.  In general, the back of the ship jumps around a little more if you're sensitive to motion.  I actually do get motion sickness but have not had a problem with the aft cabins I've stayed in. 

• Like 1

We have sailed in both.  Loved the aft S1 corner but it was more than a bit bumpy at times and would not do a TA in one.  Also had a mid ship S1 and the experience was quite different, not nearly as rocky.  I’m prone to seasickness so obviously this plays a part in my recommendation.

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

Personal preference.  Those aft cabins often sell at a premium.  In general, the back of the ship jumps around a little more if you're sensitive to motion.  I actually do get motion sickness but have not had a problem with the aft cabins I've stayed in. 

I for one love a rocking and rolling cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Personally we love the aft experience and it is our first choice when looking at cabins. It is a bit of a different experience than a mid-ship cabin, which we didn't really think about when we booked our first SV cabin. Not sure I would pick a TA as our first time.

Had s1 on Solstice class.  Didn't like it for a couple of reasons.  First, balcony much too sunny- couldn't enjoy breakfast or any meals on it.  Also, at certain times during the day- soot would get all over the balcony.  We didn't mind the walk to the elevators- but if you do not a good option. Also in some of the SS you have a pole next to the bed- it can be dangerous in the middle of the night if you want to use the rest room.  Also we had window washing equipment at our port hole window most of the cruise.

17 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Had s1 on Solstice class.  Didn't like it for a couple of reasons.  First, balcony much too sunny- couldn't enjoy breakfast or any meals on it.  Also, at certain times during the day- soot would get all over the balcony.  We didn't mind the walk to the elevators- but if you do not a good option. Also in some of the SS you have a pole next to the bed- it can be dangerous in the middle of the night if you want to use the rest room.  Also we had window washing equipment at our port hole window most of the cruise.

The OP is asking about E-Class where the S1s are quite different than S-Class.

We stayed in a S1 Sunset suite on the Apex upon launch last August. Lovely room, spacious and private, especially the little vestibule hallway that you only share with one other cabin. No noise or disturbance aft-way.

There was a small soot issue but nothing to concern us. The balcony was sunny but it depended on time of day and route being travelled. We did not experience any particular rockiness, and no pole in the way of anything (don't remember any pole). 

We have booked the same room type for Iceland next year - cant wait!

• Like 1

We love the view of the wake and don’t mind the long walk.  However depending upon where the ship is sailing and time of year the veranda can be to hot to use.

We just spent a week in a aft S1 from 11 a.m. until sundown the balcony was in full sun and to hot to use.  We had a similar experience a few years ago cruising Australia and the sun was so hot on the veranda and beating on the sliding doors that we had to keep the drapes closed during the day and the a/c couldn’t keep the cabin cool.

We have also had aft cabins that were amazing for viewing, Alaska, Antartica and the Panama  Canal in particular. 

Thanks for the input everyone - I think we will stay in the aft sky suite.  We are sailing east, from the US to EU, so we will have sunset on the balcony.  We depart April 30.  I don't think it would be too hot / sunny in the morning for coffee, and then, we can enjoy a drink in the evening on the balcony if we want, and we will be out and about after that.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ehall said:

Thanks for the input everyone - I think we will stay in the aft sky suite.  We are sailing east, from the US to EU, so we will have sunset on the balcony.  We depart April 30.  I don't think it would be too hot / sunny in the morning for coffee, and then, we can enjoy a drink in the evening on the balcony if we want, and we will be out and about after that.  

Good choice! I don't think you will regret it - enjoy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

There is areason they sell for a premium over a standard SS. We love them but they are hard to snag as they sell out fast. You will love yours, my only con is they are a long walk to the first stairs and elevator.

Extra chance to walk off the food 😁

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

We love the view of the wake and don’t mind the long walk.  However depending upon where the ship is sailing and time of year the veranda can be to hot to use.

We just spent a week in a aft S1 from 11 a.m. until sundown the balcony was in full sun and to hot to use.  We had a similar experience a few years ago cruising Australia and the sun was so hot on the veranda and beating on the sliding doors that we had to keep the drapes closed during the day and the a/c couldn’t keep the cabin cool.

We have also had aft cabins that were amazing for viewing, Alaska, Antartica and the Panama  Canal in particular. 

Jelayne, are you speaking specifically about an S1 corner aft on S-class, or Sunset Suite on E-class?  The balcony is so much larger on E-class, that I was wondering what the difference might be in the Caribbean. I usually do not do the Caribbean, but do have a Sunset Suite booked for January 1, 2023.

Edited by Lastdance

4 hours ago, ehall said:

You will be seeing some spectacular sunsets then and love your choice. I am so jealous, have a great trip. Don't forget to have your Butler bring the drinks to your cabin in the evening.

9 hours ago, 39august said:

Do those aft suite balconies have any cover, please? We love aft views but require shade on the balcony. 

The ones on deck 12, under the OVC, has more shade than the ones on the lower floors.  We sailed in one on deck 11 on Reflection and the amount of shade depended on the way the ship was facing relative to the sun.  There were many times when there was no shade at all. 

On 2/20/2022 at 12:28 PM, 39august said:

Do those aft suite balconies have any cover, please? We love aft views but require shade on the balcony. 

You can see the balcony in this video (forward to 5:11 in the video for the balcony).  They do not give the room number, so unsure which deck.  It does look like SOME cover, but not a lot.  

Edited by ehall
forgot to paste video link
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 2:27 PM, terrydtx said:

You will be seeing some spectacular sunsets then and love your choice. I am so jealous, have a great trip. Don't forget to have your Butler bring the drinks to your cabin in the evening.

Thanks - hoping 3rd time's a charm.  This is the 3rd one from a cancelled 2020 transatlantic which carried to a 2021 Panama Canal which then was cancelled (by the cruise line) and carried to this cruise.  So far, looking good!

• 5 months later...