No More Bathroom Cups?

icft

We got back from our latest cruise a couple of days ago and came across something we thought strange. When we got to our room we noticed there were no cups in the bathroom. There have always been two glass tumblers in the bathroom of past cruises so we though it was a oversight. When we next saw our steward we said the tumblers were not in the bathroom and she said they had done away with those. We expressed our surprise and the next day she had put two of the plastic cups from Lido deck in our bathroom. We are happy with that. They do the job and I have always been a bit nervous about glass in a hard surface bathroom

Is this for real? If so it is getting to where you can spend a hunk of your first day tracking down the things that used to already be in the room; like bathrobes already in the room, liters of water already in the room, pins etc. already in the room... 😀

• Like 1

I never use these because I’m not convinced that people close the toilet when flushing and so I’m imagining tiny droplets of toilet spray is everywhere in the bathroom and it would be nearly impossible to completely disinfectant every surface.  

I’ve also cleaned hotel rooms in my prior life and know  things can be visibly cleaned but not really cleaned.  I realize they do the best they can. 

I have put my earrings in them though.  Had them on the Sunshine a few weeks ago.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audcc77 said:

I never use these because I’m not convinced that people close the toilet when flushing and so I’m imagining tiny droplets of toilet spray is everywhere in the bathroom and it would be nearly impossible to completely disinfectant every surface.

Unlike a shoreside toilet where water is sprayed at nearly household water pressure into a standing pool of liquid with no other way out than up out of the toilet, a ship's toilet uses vacuum to suck things down into the toilet, as well as reducing the water pressure and flow, minimizing splashing.  If you don't think the toilet is sucking air from around the toilet down into the toilet, feel around the bathroom door when you flush, and you will feel air being sucked into the bathroom around the door.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's simply a matter of requesting glasses from the cabin steward.  Not a topic for post cruise rants.

And for those germaphobes wiping down everything and avoiding any glasses in cabins, the glasses are probably  cleaner than the ones you have at home. 

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Unlike a shoreside toilet where water is sprayed at nearly household water pressure into a standing pool of liquid with no other way out than up out of the toilet, a ship's toilet uses vacuum to suck things down into the toilet, as well as reducing the water pressure and flow, minimizing splashing.  If you don't think the toilet is sucking air from around the toilet down into the toilet, feel around the bathroom door when you flush, and you will feel air being sucked into the bathroom around the door.

The CD use to make announcements for older gents.  If your BB's are sagging and you sit on the toilet while flushing, you can go down to Deck one to retrieve your BB's back.See the source image

59 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

The CD use to make announcements for older gents.  If your BB's are sagging and you sit on the toilet while flushing, you can go down to Deck one to retrieve your BB's back.

It's not quite that strong, and there isn't a seal between the seat and the toilet.  Typical CD crude joke.

Edited by chengkp75

There were no bathroom glasses on the Dream last September. It was the ship's first sailing post-lockdown, so I just figured they hadn't gotten around to setting them out yet. We used the glasses with stems that were provided in the cabin area. They were taller and more cumbersome to use in the small bathroom space, but it worked OK.

There were no glasses in the bathroom on the Pride at the beginning of February. The room steward said that I could get the plastic cups in the Lido buffet area. I had brought my own solo cups so that was what we used. I wasn’t sure if he was going to exchange the cups during the week but I wasn’t sure.

13 hours ago, icft said:

The Glory

We sailed the Glory in December - no glasses for us either.  We just used the bottled water we kept in the fridge for taking our meds.  Just one less thing the stewards have to deal with I guess.  I still don't understand why we have to go "fetch" our complimentary bottles of water when there are already two bottles for purchase in the cabin.  I guess they are relying on guests to not pick up the freebies.  Sign of the times.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

We sailed the Glory in December - no glasses for us either.  We just used the bottled water we kept in the fridge for taking our meds.  Just one less thing the stewards have to deal with I guess.  I still don't understand why we have to go "fetch" our complimentary bottles of water when there are already two bottles for purchase in the cabin.  I guess they are relying on guests to not pick up the freebies.  Sign of the times.

We were on the December 12th Glory sailing and the January 16th Glory sailing and had glasses on those. So I guess it is being slowly implemented even on individual ships for some reason. (As the glasses break?) I think for quite some time they have been slowly doing away with the idea of room stewards and moving to Holiday Inn style maid service. They don't call them stewards anymore - they are "Stateroom Attendants." - and their main job is no longer to take care of your needs but rather to clean the room. It is not problem for us but I do kind of hate to see stewards disappear. I have nostalgic memories from when I was a kid. But today there is an app for that.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It's not quite that strong, and there isn't a seal between the seat and the toilet.  Typical CD crude joke.

I Double Dog Dare you to post a picture of you with a partial smile 😁 .