The Daily for Sunday 02/27/2022

richwmn

59 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Update Re Kakalena:

After reading through todays posts which are for the most part upbeat I really am reluctant to give this update now. I asked Kakalena if she wanted me to post this and she said yes, that she needs all the prayers she can get.  Her lung tumor has increased in size to the point that it  has caused her esophagus to collapse meaning she can not eat any solids and can only take small amounts of liquid nourishment. Hospice has suggested placing a feeding tube permanently in her stomach which she has refused. She told me the life expectancy after placing such a tube is 30 to 60 days and that she was relying on me to notify all her friends on both Cruise Critic and on Facebook when she passes. 

Jane

Thank you for that sad update.  I am surprised that hospice would make that suggestion.  It sounds to me that the tube would only prolong her life a bit without providing a quality of life for her remaining days.  That's not what I would expect from hospice.  I am glad that her last days will be near her family.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@lazey1Jane thank you for the update on Kakalena.  Continued prayers for her that her remaining time is pain-free and comfortable.

@msmayorConnie what a beautiful photo of the tree in bloom!  We're all excited with you as you continue on baby watch.

@atexsixBruno, I'm the same.  One tiny flake of cilantro ruins a whole dish for me.  And it's getting harder and harder to avoid.

@kb4683Kay I hope you get some relief from your back problems, and have a safe drive to your cruise.

@dfishDebbie your patterns brought back memories.  I'm sure I made a similar dress to the "baby doll dress" on the far right of the last pattern.  My Mom taught me to sew, but I also had it in Home Economics in the 7th grade.  I also sewed some of  our children's clothes when they were smaller.

We had a nice afternoon and lunch with DS and DDIL.  They are taking it as well as can be expected about the delay in getting into their new house.  Their rental will expire the end of March, so they're looking for another airbnb since the lawyers think that even though this guy doesn't have much chance of wining his lawsuit, it will drag on for awhile. They're keeping a spreadsheet of all their expenses.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I goofed today and still had you at sea.  Welcome home.  I do have a couple of questions.  I haven't yet sailed on your class of ship but will in May.  How was the wifi.  It was awful on Enchantment.  And was the buffet open for dinner.  I know things are changing but was just wondering if that will be an option.

Roy

No worries and thank you.

The wifi was awful on the Mariner as well.

The buffet is open for dinner, it closed at 8:30 each night. The Cafe Promenade was open 6:30 to at least midnight even though the app says it closes at 11:00. They have complimentary food, coffee, (not specialties). They do sell specialty drinks there.

I hope you are doing well and that you enjoyed your cruise.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Update Re Kakalena:

After reading through todays posts which are for the most part upbeat I really am reluctant to give this update now. I asked Kakalena if she wanted me to post this and she said yes, that she needs all the prayers she can get.  Her lung tumor has increased in size to the point that it  has caused her esophagus to collapse meaning she can not eat any solids and can only take small amounts of liquid nourishment. Hospice has suggested placing a feeding tube permanently in her stomach which she has refused. She told me the life expectancy after placing such a tube is 30 to 60 days and that she was relying on me to notify all her friends on both Cruise Critic and on Facebook when she passes. 

Jane

Oh my goodness Jane, I am so sorry about this news.  Prayers for her and for her to be pain free.

• Like 12

Sad to hear about Kakalena. I would expect that if she was posting  she would recommend any who are still smoking to quit and stop smoking.

My prayers for her and I believe departed husband named Virgil;  who both  provided many of us old timers with their  live cruise reports. They loved to cruise and many of us enjoyed going along with them on their cruises. Virgil didn’t like to fly so many of their adventures were in Pacific cruises.

May she find eternal life, peace, no pain and the knowledge that we CC’ers will miss her.

God Bless you Kakalena.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for that sad update.  I am surprised that hospice would make that suggestion.  It sounds to me that the tube would only prolong her life a bit without providing a quality of life for her remaining days.  That's not what I would expect from hospice.  I am glad that her last days will be near her family.

Roy

It’s likely considered to be for comfort, and being able to maintain fluids, if she isn’t able to effectively swallow.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Update Re Kakalena:

Jane

I'm really saddened to hear Kakalenas update.

She is so brave and we are sending our heartfelt prayers 🙏 for her.

Sending our love and hugs to her and you too Jane.

Graham & Pauline ❤️🤗

• Like 7

18 hours ago, dchip said:

Koningsdam and Zuiderdam. 

We board the Zuiderdam later this afternoon. 

Bon Voyage !!  Have a great time 🙂 

12 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

@kb4683, I sympathize and empathize with your aching back!  My “regular” doctor suggested lidocaine patches (Salonpas) for car or plane trips.  I had little optimism about using them, but have found they work great!  I hope you have something that helps too.

Another vote for Salonpas.  I swear by them.  They always get packed for a cruise and most times they are given to someone else how needs them and they gain a new fan 😉 

11 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Update Re Kakalena:

Jane

Oh Jane, I am so sorry to hear this dreaded news.  She has been in my prayers.  I pray she has as little pain as possible and peace in her remaining days. 🙏🏻 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Sad to hear about Kakalena. I would expect that if she was posting  she would recommend any who are still smoking to quit and stop smoking.

My prayers for her and I believe departed husband named Virgil;  who both  provided many of us old timers with their  live cruise reports. They loved to cruise and many of us enjoyed going along with them on their cruises. Virgil didn’t like to fly so many of their adventures were in Pacific cruises.

May she find eternal life, peace, no pain and the knowledge that we CC’ers will miss her.

God Bless you Kakalena.

I am  one of those who vicariously went along on Trish & Virgil's Pacific adventures.  One of her favorite quotes,  " happiness is a moving floor" has stuck with me for many years.  Every time while aboard I'm reminded of her whenever there is any ocean motion.  I found this........

K is for kid, the child within.

A is for authentic, be real

K is for keepsake, you treasure your memories.

A is for affectionate, to those that matter most to you

L is for lofty, your ambitions are high!

E is for exotic, no lack of spirit here!

N is for novel, don't get too complicated!

A is for approachable, constantly meeting new people

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3