Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just announced cases on Silhouette on our first full day of sailing.  Ugh! 9 more days to go. Will keep an eye on number of cases and hope they don't rise much. Ps don't know how many as I missed the first part of the announcement 

How many cases?  Is it crew or passengers?

17 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

No -hopefully case rates will remain low or non existent.  🤞

Well .... 

14 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just announced cases on Silhouette on our first full day of sailing.  Ugh! 9 more days to go. Will keep an eye on number of cases and hope they don't rise much. Ps don't know how many as I missed the first part of the announcement 

So much for cases remaining nonexistent. 😒

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Be in your cabin because they knock on each door 🤣

I know you're joking, but it put me in mind of a situation we were in a number of years ago. We were on the Star Princess when it caught fire in the middle of the night. Afterward, we were docked in Jamaica for 3 days while they worked to get everyone home (it was also Spring Break, so regular flights were packed).  And for the first 2 days we had to stay in our cabins all day long to wait and find out whether we got tickets for flight, and had be packed and ready to go at possibly no more than 2 hours notice. That was definitely not fun. 

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Even though Omicron is fading fast, it is not gone completely.  Why would we be surprised with cases reported on any ship?  there are still cases in our communities.

Unreasonable expectations which lead to false equivalencies regarding protocols.

There is a compelling discussion in today's NY Times news feed by writer David Leonhardt who has been spot on for a very long time on his COVID articles.   "Do COVID Precautions Work?"  A lot about masks and social distancing with Omicron.  Cruise passengers should take a look.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

There is a compelling discussion in today's NY Times news feed by writer David Leonhardt who has been spot on for a very long time on his COVID articles.   "Do COVID Precautions Work?"  A lot about masks and social distancing with Omicron.  Cruise passengers should take a look.

Actually I did just read that.  Without precautions I have a 33% chance of Omicron positive (chance of rolling a 1 or 2 on a die was his analogy).  With precautions it's a 16% chance (chance of rolling a 1).  As his charts indicated, vaxed and boosted chances of hospitalization/death go way down.  That is important to me but also to the cruise line with their limited medical/morgue facilities. 
However, I need to be negative to get and stay onboard without quarantine.  So my view, yes I will mask up hasn't changed.  

Also, one problem with his infection rate comparison data.  Where I live, we have never gotten out of the "high transmission" category even as other areas go up and down.  In addition, people who have a family member test positive (home test) just assume they will get it too.  Those positives are never recorded in any official statistics.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I’m guessing you need to be a subscriber to read?

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

It's not at all compelling when the very first sentence of the article lays out the writer's clear intention to politicize his findings. One should lose interest in the remainder of the text immediately, regardless of one's political ideology.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

In addition, people who have a family member test positive (home test) just assume they will get it too.  Those positives are never recorded in any official statistics.  

Similarly, married couple, one gets it, the other never does.  So two people can sleep next to each other and share a fork in the kitchen and not cross-infect, but I have to wear a mask in the grocery store so I don't get it from someone in the next aisle?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, photomikey said:

Similarly, married couple, one gets it, the other never does.  So two people can sleep next to each other and share a fork in the kitchen and not cross-infect, but I have to wear a mask in the grocery store so I don't get it from someone in the next aisle?

How many cases are there where two people live together and one person gets sick?

Seems the mask is to protect you from people in the same aisle.

There should be a cruise just for people who don’t want to wear masks or get vaccinated.  The crew could volunteer.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How many cases are there where two people live together and one person gets sick?

Seems the mask is to protect you from people in the same aisle.

There should be a cruise just for people who don’t want to wear masks or get vaccinated.  The crew could volunteer.

How about a cruise for only of us that are vaccinated and have received the booster and don't want to wear the mask. 🤣:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, photomikey said:

Your response is unrelated to my post that you quoted which was about the accuracy of the infection numbers being reported. 
I wrote:  
"In addition, people who have a family member test positive (home test) just assume they will get it too.  Those positives are never recorded in any official statistics"

Whether some get it or not is not the issue.    The article being discussed was about the relative risk of infection/hospitalization/death.  My point was that NONE of those home tests are reported anywhere.

I understand that you wanted to make clear that you do not want masks.  Fine.  Your opinion has been noted.

11 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

The article being discussed was about the relative risk of infection/hospitalization/death.

The article being discussed was about the risk of infection/hospitalization/death relative to the voting record of the county one lives in. It's utter nonsense.

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The article being discussed was about the risk of infection/hospitalization/death relative to the voting record of the county one lives in. It's utter nonsense.

Good grief..how can that make sense?  

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I wish the article had never come up.  I only replied to the reference to it because I had just read it myself.  The author used voting records as a stand in for how many precautions were required in the areas included.  More in "blue" areas than "red"

At this point the thread is veering far away from the intent of the OP.
Given the requirements of the cruise line when you sail, will you wear a mask?

Debating the effectiveness of one precaution over another is likely to get the whole discussion shut down.

46 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

At this point the thread is veering far away from the intent of the OP.
Given the requirements of the cruise line when you sail, will you wear a mask?

Debating the effectiveness of one precaution over another is likely to get the whole discussion shut down.

The article, and more importantly the data summarized therein, makes the point that a seriously infectious virus can overwhelm precautions. Which doesn't mean that any and all precautions are worthless. 

In my opinion, the most danger comes from other people. If I social distance, avoid crowded elevators, avoid crowded spaces generally, i.e., minimize my time around other people, and use whatever precautions I can when I am in such situations then I will lower my chance of getting sick. 
So I will wear a mask when around other people, and I will prefer open, less populated spaces rather than crowded closed in spaces. So far these strategies have worked for me, and I do not huddle away in quarantine, I go shopping, hair cut, dentist, fly on airplanes to distant places, cruise, etc. Wearing a mask is a small price for the ability to live a somewhat normal life. 

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, photomikey said:

The first two weeks of January I didn't leave the house except to visit my 95 year old mother in a nursing home. Vaxed w/booster, masked all the time, religiously cleaned, washed, sanitized my hands and everything I touched. Came down with covid the third week (mild cold symptoms).  Slept, kissed, shared drinking glasses with my wife for 3 days before testing positive. At that point we figured she'd get it so no isolation or precautions at home.  She never did get it.   

Do masks, vaccinations/boosters prevent one from getting covid? Apparently not but they may limit exposure and severity, so it's up to everybody to decide what they feel most comfortable doing.  We are leaving on a cruise on Sunday. Most likely will not wear our masks on board but everywhere else yes.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

If you read the history in the threads here, a rather LARGE majority of pax who test positive while aboard have spouses who did not.  Hmmmm.....

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Rich I very much always try to look past all that Red vs Blue stuff which is hard to do these days I know.  The article is really about the effectiveness of using masks and social distancing when a very highly infectious variant is around like Omicron.   That is what this particular thread is about right?  But sorry for bringing it up today if it caused a back-lash here and thread drift.  That was not my intention.  

@GottaKnowWhen makes the key point in their post.

"The article, and more importantly the data summarized therein, makes the point that a seriously infectious virus (ie, Omicron) can overwhelm precautions."  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

If you read the history in the threads here, a rather LARGE majority of pax who test positive while aboard have spouses who did not.  Hmmmm.....

So we should require everyone to get married in this country so only half of them get sick.  Single people are the problem!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

In the FWIW department - married 52 years and we have NEVER gotten ANY diseases from each other.

Either he gets something and I don't or I do and he doesn't. And we've never taken any precautions to separate while ill.

(But so far neither of us has gotten Covid)