Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

4 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

@TeeRick excellent discussion point - thank you for taking this approach in questioning.  I miss the early days of the pandemic when you (and others) were a vital source of scientific information to help people navigate the pandemic.

I feel that public health messaging has been inconsistent and/or poor at times.  So, my short answer to your question of what will it take is: time

My science-based, rational mind tell me it is quite safe to cruise without a mask on a ship of fully vaccinated passengers. However,  there is still some worry.

Thanks for asking what it would take to change my mind, rather than telling me it's time to change my mind.  Very helpful.

Thank you for answering my question.  Much appreciated!  And thanks for the comment on our scientific discussions and information.  Many did find it valuable in those days!

• Like 2

Definitely will not be wearing masks. We live in one of the most populated states in the country and nobody has worn masks here for over a year. Crowded stores and restaurants, concerts, sporting events and there haven't been any issues. Almost everyone we know who has contracted covid has been unfazed by it. Knowing that everyone on board is vaccinated and has had a negative covid test within 2 days is more than enough assurance. We dont get this type of assurance anywhere else. Some concerts or plays have required vaccination cards but not a negative test 2 days prior as well. So we will not be wearing masks and dont give covid a second thought. Even if we were to get it, being double vaccinated and boosted gives us peace of mind as well. Respect to what everyone else decides to do though and everyone has their own health and individual risk assessments.

• Like 2

We got off a charter cruise last Saturday where in addition to everyone being vax'd and tested two days before they also required testing just before getting on the ship (paid for by the charter). Some people tested positive the morning of even though they were negative two days before. Some people wore masks the entire cruise. We didn't but I'm pretty sure no one got covid on that cruise.

Having said that, being vaxed and masked doesn't prevent you from getting covid (ask me how I know) but it may reduce severity of symptoms if exposed.

I was thinking to get some of the KN or KF masks recommend here.  To use on the flight to Europe and maybe on the ship.  And maybe at work!  I still think things may change.

Edited by zitsky

On 3/2/2022 at 10:20 AM, LGW59 said:

But not wearing one is much more comfortable

Good one!! Absolutely true. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, zitsky said:

We fly first or business class, so we do not have to sit with strangers.

I agree. We had business booked for a cruise last year that never took place. Sill others around you in B-class, but farther apart and surely better than being in a row of 10 economy seats. I do not like winding up in a group of 3+ seats (since it's only two of us). For an upcoming cruise, I upgraded to premium economy - better since it's a 2-4-2 configuration with more space between the 3 or 4 rows of PE. Didn't want to spring for business this time due to the shorter length of the trip. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I was thinking to get some of the KN or KF masks recommend here.  

Hate to reiterate what has already been mentioned now several times, but I'd highly suggest it. They don't have that 'stiff' feel of an N95. Many also have adjustable straps - not just at the ears but in the center so as to pull tighter. This is what we bought on the recommendation of family members who are deeply into studying all this..  https://www.protectly.co/products/bluna-kf94-mask?variant=39450796523688  I really like these - can be hard to get though. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

5 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Good one!! Absolutely true. 

I agree. We had business booked for a cruise last year that never took place. Sill others around you in B-class, but farther apart and surely better than being in a row of 10 economy seats. I do not like winding up in a group of 3+ seats (since it's only two of us). For an upcoming cruise, I upgraded to premium economy - better since it's a 2-4-2 configuration with more space between the 3 or 4 rows of PE. Didn't want to spring for business this time due to the shorter length of the trip. 

We only fly business class internationally. With the newer lay flat seats and pods like Delta and United use, you are almost socially distancing from the other passengers. We are flying Delta to Rome and home from Venice in August, and the business class seating is 1-2-1 so my wife and are each take a window seat in the 1 configuration with access to the aisle so we are not climbing over anyone to get out.

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

so we are not climbing over anyone to get out.

That's what I dislike about the economy rows. 

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

pods like Delta and United use,

I had United polaris seats booked for last January, but then the cruise never went. Never really used B-class much until a few years ago. It spoils you pretty quick. I don't get much sleep on a plane anyway - usually wind up watching movies. If only the 6-7 hours over to Europe, not a real big deal. That said, I probably will look for B going forward. YOLO.  It's just that it's a heck of a lot of money for a plane ride. We did premium economy for long haul with SAS, which was quite nice being that it included B-class lounge access. Surely not the level of B, but we were really impressed. SAS is a good airline. I'd use them anytime if it works for the schedule. We're pretty much car-trip people at heart - still my favorite mode of travel. (Only) two seats....in the front of the car ...works out well 😁

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I am very claustrophobic and need to sit by the window, at least that is what I tell the wife, LOL

Uh-huh.....I won't tell  😁 Lemme guess...bet you don't use the elevators on the ships? Or, your wife does, but you use the stairs....😆

So....San Antonio? We're planning to end a fly/drive trip there in October. Had it all booked for last year but, well, yet another covid cancellation. I was worried when I heard stories on trip advisor about the shortage of rental cars. Plan was to start in Tucson, get a car, then sightsee National Parks and end up for a few days at the Drury Inn near the Riverwalk. HOPEFULLy will get to do it this time. It'll be the 3rd attempt. Had it booked for '20 also. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

8 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Uh-huh.....I won't tell  😁 Lemme guess...bet you don't use the elevators on the ships? Or, your wife does, but you use the stairs....😆

Both of my knees are shot, too much jogging on pavement and softball when I was younger, so if it is more than 2 floors, we both use the Elevators on the ship.😇 On the S class ships, the Sky Suites are on deck 12 and the Luminae and Retreat Lounge (or Michaels) are on decks 5 and 3 so we take the elevator. 

Edited by terrydtx

On 3/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, bstoeck said:

Just a warning from someone who was just on the Summit last week: (Feb 19, 2022)

We were not only tested two days before per Celebrity Cruises protocol and we were on a charter cruise (at smaller occupancy NOT 100% or even close)  BUT we all had to do an additional Antigen test at the pier on the day of boarding and we are dealing with a POSITIVE Covid case with my husband ...he is getting the Monoclonal IV treatment as we speak.  I have tested Negative so far and am feeling fine. Most with positive cases are reporting that they thought they just had allergies - some are far sicker than that.

We were under a very false sense of security and hardly anybody wore masks.  I am hearing so far of more than 50 positive Covid cases from our sailing and climbing as people come forward.   The crew were required to mask 100% and did.    We were also cleared to go on excursions on our own in St Thomas and St. Maarten so who knows if that is where the cases were brought aboard.

Just wanted to share so you can make your own decision.  We are boarding the Summit on March 14th and I will be masking up.

3 hours ago, mac66 said:

We got off a charter cruise last Saturday where in addition to everyone being vax'd and tested two days before they also required testing just before getting on the ship (paid for by the charter). Some people tested positive the morning of even though they were negative two days before. Some people wore masks the entire cruise. We didn't but I'm pretty sure no one got covid on that cruise.

Having said that, being vaxed and masked doesn't prevent you from getting covid (ask me how I know) but it may reduce severity of symptoms if exposed.

mac66 - If your charter cruise was the same one as bstoeck was on - on the Summit, you just weren't aware of how many cases were actually on board.

...we are dealing with a POSITIVE Covid case with my husband ...he is getting the Monoclonal IV treatment as we speak...  We are boarding the Summit on March 14th and I will be masking up.

How do you plan on getting around the health screening questonnaire?

26 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

If the husband tested positive on the 19th of February,  they should be fine by March 14th, plenty of days will have gone by.  

Ok. The way I read it was they were on the feb 19 sailing and the husband was being treated for Covid yesterday.

Edited by RichYak

39 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

If the husband tested positive on the 19th of February,  they should be fine by March 14th, plenty of days will have gone by.  

The husband must have had a negative test on the 19th in order to board. More likely he tested positive at the end of February.

I also wondered how he would qualify to sail on March 14th.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I am 72 this month and my doc says by 80 I will need double knee replacements.

talk your Doc into doing your knees now, it is a tough surgery, and at 80 I couldn't do the rehab..had mine done 3 years ago, 3 months apart, best thing I have ever done

• Like 2

Just a warning from someone who was just on the Summit last week: (Feb 19, 2022)

We were not only tested two days before per Celebrity Cruises protocol and we were on a charter cruise (at smaller occupancy NOT 100% or even close)  BUT we all had to do an additional Antigen test at the pier on the day of boarding and we are dealing with a POSITIVE Covid case with my husband ...he is getting the Monoclonal IV treatment as we speak.  I have tested Negative so far and am feeling fine. Most with positive cases are reporting that they thought they just had allergies - some are far sicker than that.

We were under a very false sense of security and hardly anybody wore masks.  I am hearing so far of more than 50 positive Covid cases from our sailing and climbing as people come forward.   The crew were required to mask 100% and did.    We were also cleared to go on excursions on our own in St Thomas and St. Maarten so who knows if that is where the cases were brought aboard.

Just wanted to share so you can make your own decision.  We are boarding the Summit on March 14th and I will be masking up.

Where are you hearing about 50 cases from that cruise?

We don't fly business or 1st class unless it's a point upgrade.  Premium economy or main plus with extended leg room is normally ok with us.  Would rather spend the money on another cruise.  

As far as the original question, No to wearing any masks unless it is a requirement.