Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

12 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

This makes sense but the problem is people going on cruises dont stay in their community.

They're travelling from all over the world flying to the port of embarkation and interacting before they leave with their community; in airports and on planes, then they all come together on one little infectious ship at sea...  

So are you wearing your mask or have you stopped cruising?

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So are you wearing your mask or have you stopped cruising?

I wear a mask when mandated, and generally don't wear a mask when not mandated.  I don't mind wearing a mask, but I prefer not to. 

4 hours ago, mfs2k said:

This makes sense but the problem is people going on cruises dont stay in their community.

They're travelling from all over the world flying to the port of embarkation and interacting before they leave with their community; in airports and on planes, then they all come together on one little infectious ship at sea...  

Yes you mean worry about the people travelling from outside the USA - which has been the center for the worst numbers in the pandemic worldwide for over two years?  People from other countries on our cruises should worry more about us!🙃

In a more general sense, the people cruising on Celebrity ships are all at least fully vaccinated and most are Up To Date.   And they are tested pre-cruise for the virus.   Only when a super highly infectious variant (like Omicron) is around, the odds of becoming positive on a ship, mask or no mask, are higher.  But actually the odds are still not very high based upon real cruise ship data now.   And we would know about the rise of a super infectious variant if we are paying attention.  So for most of the time in a non-peak viral period without something like Omicron around,  for me cruising will be perfectly safe without a mask.  As I said before, in a peak period (now more predictable) I would not sign up for a cruise or I would use the 48 hr cancellation policy as long as it is in place.  But mostly because of the high level of having a cruise ruined in isolation.  Not because of a worry of being seriously ill.

Just now, gordylad said:

Covid cases on the rise again in the UK especially Scotland even though (in Scotland) wearing a mask is still compulsory......I fear for a widespread rise again throughout Europe putting us back to square one

Widespread rise of what variant? 

9 minutes ago, gordylad said:

Covid cases on the rise again in the UK especially Scotland even though (in Scotland) wearing a mask is still compulsory......I fear for a widespread rise again throughout Europe putting us back to square one

Seems as it is Omicron...vaccine is helping, that's a positive!

Edited by LGW59

2 minutes ago, gordylad said:

Based on no facts I just just worry that this thing called "covid" just doesn't seem to go away and time will tell

Sorry I was not being snarky, truly was not my intention.  Was a legit question then I saw your follow up links.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Widespread rise of what variant? 

BA.2 Omicron , more infectious than the original Omicron.  But we have totally lifted our restrictions a few weeks ago so it's only to be expected 

BBC News - Covid infections rising again across UK - ONS
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60709712

Edited by sgmn

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The post Thanksgiving-Christmas peak is here to stay. 

In the old days we used to call a part of the year where cold weather helped the spread of a virus that gave you the sniffles and was dangerous to the elderly and immunocompromised "cold and flu season".

• Like 1

Just now, photomikey said:

In the old days we used to call a part of the year where cold weather helped the spread of a virus that gave you the sniffles and was dangerous to the elderly and immunocompromised "cold and flu season".

now it will be cold, flu and covid season, all seasonal, a shot for this a shot for that, we can be free to roam about

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gordylad said:

Counting "cases" is no longer meaningful metric as relates to reinstating protocols. Severity of illness is the key metric now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gordylad said:

No problem. New variant seems to be called BA2................when will it end.

Don’t think that it will. It’s something that we as a world will need to learn how to live and deal with. IMHO it comes down to personal responsibility and being as prepared as possible. It’s sad to see cases on the rise again but in reality, not unexpected. 

We’re due to fly over to Italy for three weeks in late May for a land/cruise trip. We’re still planning to go unless things deteriorate and it really feels unsafe. Our biggest concern would be catching the virus and getting stuck in Italy until we recover and test negative. Many of the U.S based cruise lines have a lot of inventory scheduled for Europe this summer and our particular sailing still has a lot of open staterooms. This May get interesting. All that we can do is take it one day at a time. 

14 hours ago, gordylad said:

No problem. New variant seems to be called BA2................when will it end.

The "good news" is that it is a slightly different version of Omicron and only slightly more infectious and has been co-circulating with it since the beginning.  It is not a completely new variant.  People who had Omicron or who are Up To Date in their vaccines are in good shape to avoid it.  It would not keep me from cruising at this point.  

• Like 1