Drink pour question

I am recently off the Harmony, and noticed that every time I ordered a mixed drink, the bartender carefully poured exactly to the top of the jigger, and never anymore than that. This occurred when I tipped before ordering the drink, regardless of what bar I went to. In the past, I’ve found that a lot of the bartenders used to be a bit more generous with the pours.  I’m just curious as to what other drinkers have noticed. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I think it is ship, venue, and bartender based.  We've experienced both ends from a very measured pour to a generous free pour.  Maybe the Hotel Director on Harmony issued strict pour instructions as with these lower capacity start up days, every penny may count - who knows. Tipping - although we always tip as well - will not necessarily translate to a more generous pour.  But you were getting the full measure, at least.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think it is ship, venue, and bartender based.  We've experienced both ends from a very measured pour to a generous free pour.  Maybe the Hotel Director on Harmony issued strict pour instructions as with the start up, every penny may count - who knows. Tipping will not necessarily translate to a more generous pour.   But you were getting the full measure, at least.

I noticed on Navigator a few weeks ago that most bartenders went way overboard with ice.  Ordered a Royal Zombie from the Bamboo Room, glass was small and filled with ice, maybe two or three ounces total. Only decent drink was from Playmakers.   

I remember reading several years ago, like not long before Covid that RCI started enforcing the use of measuring.  It used to be a free pour.  Drinks tasted better when they are made correctly anyway.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Probably pressure from above based on all the free drink vouchers. 

While there are always a fair number of Diamond and higher tier C&A members on board who would have vouchers, I would think it is more likely all of those with drink packages - which would probably be a far greater number - that would result in measured pours.  Although the packages are very profitable for the cruise line, the unlimited nature of the drinks provided would IMO be more of a reason to measure each pour more carefully.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think it is ship, venue, and bartender based.  We've experienced both ends from a very measured pour to a generous free pour.  Maybe the Hotel Director on Harmony issued strict pour instructions as with these lower capacity start up days, every penny may count - who knows. Tipping - although we always tip as well - will not necessarily translate to a more generous pour.  But you were getting the full measure, at least.

I agree.  I have seen this happen before.  The Hotel Director or Beverage Manager notices and says something and monitors, and pours are precise.  Then later, they get generous again.

I'm assuming you can't get a double with the drink package and that you can't get two drinks at the same time.  What is the time limit between drinks?  Can you order an extra shot in a few minutes to enhance your drink?  I'm not wanting to get toasted, I just can't handle all of the sweet stuff they seem to add to fill up your glass.  My last cruise when I ordered a Cosmo, I got a syrupy bright red concoction more often than not.  Yuck!        

I have always found that after I order my first margarita it my have what is considered a proper pour. No matter how it was made I usually slip a $10 tip to that bartender an usually my next has a much better pour than the first drink. I will then make that bar and bartender my go to choice for drinks. There has been a couple of times that didn’t work though and one time I had to tell the bartender …. Not that strong!

13 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I'm assuming you can't get a double with the drink package and that you can't get two drinks at the same time.  What is the time limit between drinks?  Can you order an extra shot in a few minutes to enhance your drink?  I'm not wanting to get toasted, I just can't handle all of the sweet stuff they seem to add to fill up your glass.  My last cruise when I ordered a Cosmo, I got a syrupy bright red concoction more often than not.  Yuck!        

There's no time limit. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, brillohead said:

There's no time limit. 

I must be mixing up my cruise lines concerning drink packages, lol.  Please fill me in on the drink package rules.  Can I order a double?  Can you order a drink and a shot at the same time?  I know there is no 15 a day limit, but certainly there must be some sort of controls.  If you order a drink over the $13 limit, do they charge for the whole drink or just the difference? 

3 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I must be mixing up my cruise lines concerning drink packages, lol.  Please fill me in on the drink package rules.  Can I order a double?  Can you order a drink and a shot at the same time?  I know there is no 15 a day limit, but certainly there must be some sort of controls.  If you order a drink over the $13 limit, do they charge for the whole drink or just the difference? 

They charge you the difference plus 18% gratuity for drinks over the price allowed.  

I've seen people order doubles, or a shot and a chaser, etc.  

The only "control" is that you can't order a drink and hand it to someone else, and they're not supposed to serve you if you're visibly intoxicated.  

• Thanks 1

I have been denied doubles with the drink package.  I have also GOTTEN doubles with the drink package.

It depends on how tight they are being and how much the bartenders are being watched.

THEY don't care, but their bosses do.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:15 AM, Saintsfan007 said:

I am recently off the Harmony, and noticed that every time I ordered a mixed drink, the bartender carefully poured exactly to the top of the jigger, and never anymore than that. This occurred when I tipped before ordering the drink, regardless of what bar I went to. In the past, I’ve found that a lot of the bartenders used to be a bit more generous with the pours.  I’m just curious as to what other drinkers have noticed. Thanks in advance for your replies.

While on Odyssey a couple of weeks ago "most" bartenders were generous in their pours.  A couple were not but they were the exception not the rule.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boozrcruzr said:

It also seems like the longer the cruise goes on,

the more liberal they get with their pours.

That’s because you’re getting closer to “tip day”!
That’s why I pre-tip on day one to get their attention!! 😉🥃