Bermuda on Summit Port or Starboard question?

MarkE

When in port on the Summit  in Bermuda @ Naval Station dock which side is dock side view while in port?  Same question for Charleston while in port ?   Does ship always dock facing the same way every time in those ports, or is it Captains choice.   Wanted the land view while in port at the overnight stops.   Is there a better side for any other reasons.   Thanks in advance.

I haven't sailed to Bermuda with Celebrity yet, but I have sailed there several times with NCL and I will tell you they dock both ways. So even though I always book on the Starboard side, I have sometimes had a view of the pier and sometimes had a view of the water.

46 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Our experience is the same as Jamie.  It varies.  I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know it and I don't worry about it.  That said, the water side view is very good.

It varies because they do maintenance while in port and also have to test lifeboats by dropping them from time to time. Also wind conditions and tides enter into the decision. I have been to Bermuda on Summit quite a few times and it has been both sides. Most often the ship has docked with the port side facing the Dockyard. I think both views are good. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I haven't sailed to Bermuda with Celebrity yet, but I have sailed there several times with NCL and I will tell you they dock both ways. So even though I always book on the Starboard side, I have sometimes had a view of the pier and sometimes had a view of the water.

I have a lot of photos from Bermuda, been over 15 sailings and notice that the NCL ship at Heritage Wharf it is a toss up. The Summit at Kings Wharf has been docked both ways too but most often with the Port side facing the Dockyard.

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

When we last sailed there, on The Summit, our view was of the ship docked next to us...

bon voyage

I can’t picture this, as if there is a second ship it would be either in front or you, or behind.  Or perhaps docked in Hamilton…so unless you are in an aft facing cabin…. EM

Bermuda on Summit is our annual trip. We have sailed approximately 8 times. Always port side. Only once did we not face the wharf. That was the one time we could see the lighthouse beam at night. I personally prefer dock as we watch the sunset over the clock tower on our balcony with a glass of wine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I can’t picture this, as if there is a second ship it would be either in front or you, or behind.  Or perhaps docked in Hamilton…so unless you are in an aft facing cabin…. EM

He must have been in a forward or rear facing cabin.  Summit does not dock in Hamilton. It is too big.  All ships docked in Hamilton  will have the starboard side facing Front Street. They have to come in and turn to dock. There is only one berth now so none docked there would see another ship.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:30 AM, MarkE said:

When in port on the Summit  in Bermuda @ Naval Station dock which side is dock side view while in port?  Same question for Charleston while in port ?   Does ship always dock facing the same way every time in those ports, or is it Captains choice.   Wanted the land view while in port at the overnight stops.   Is there a better side for any other reasons.   Thanks in advance.

It depends upon how they "park". I've experienced  it both ways on the Summit in Bermuda. The water view is nicer (imo) than the land view....unless you like to people watch when on your balcony. 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:30 AM, MarkE said:

When in port on the Summit  in Bermuda @ Naval Station dock which side is dock side view while in port?

Probably whichever side needs cleaning/painting/maintenance that particular week.

One time into Bermuda, we were starboard side on. the bow was into the yacht basin, and that was when the America’s Cup was being held there, and it was full of beautiful sleek racers. Beautiful. Capt Kate, then had the Summit, got it set that way and it was fantastic sitting in the Sky Lounge watching them come in and out. Fantastic. You could see a bit of the race off the coast. 

Den

On 3/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, Essiesmom said:

Perhaps he’s never been.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, Essiesmom said:

Perhaps he's thinking of another port.  There's only two berths for large ships at the Dockyards, one in front of the other.  The Staff Captain told us it depends on which side they needed to do maintenance on the lifeboats & davits.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, Midway7934 said:

Smoking was pool deck, mid ship. We were mid ship 2 decks below. Never bothered us and I am extremely sensitive to smoke.

There is also smoking on the Promenade Deck on the Port side and this can affect a lot of cabins.  If you want to avoid smoke, always book the starboard side on S-class and Millennium Class ships.  On E class ships there isn't any smoking on the Promenade Deck (Deck 5), so you can select either side of the ship.  However if you don't want to look at the Magic Carpet, you need to select the Port side.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools