Any Word on when the crew will Un-Mask?

Talked to one of the entertainment staff yesterday and he doesn’t expect them to be without masks for several months. As he told us, if one of us gets ill, the entire group we interact with gets isolated. He said they do quite aggressive contact tracing of crew to make sure they stay ahead of any spread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Thanks for the link

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

Some crew, if not all, don't have to double mask anymore.

There are a few crew that we have seen this week that are double masked (mostly maintenance and food service crew), but the majority are single masked.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I guess that the crew will unmask as soon as every RCI passenger ship is green?

Doubtful as long as they are sailing with any percentage of unvaccinated guests and the r-rate is more than 1, or until all of their ports of call drop their mask requirements.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I saw lifeguards masked this week on Symphony plus bar staff outside masked.  So ridiculous for the lifeguard who was on a jetski far away from people with a mask in Coco Cay.

Edited by jean87510

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

From what we have seen on Harmony this week, the “loosening” of mask requirements outdoors by crew has not taken place in any outdoor passenger areas. Maybe on crew decks like 6 and 7 forward, but every crew member we have encountered on any of the outdoor public decks is fully masked.

Edited by orville99

7 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I saw lifeguards masked this week on Symphony plus bar staff outside masked.  So ridiculous for the lifeguard who was on a jetski far away from people with a mask in Coco Cay.

Perhaps personal choice?  

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

I care!   In talking to many crew members in January, after wearing a double mask for their entire day, they told me they go back to their cabins and stay there so they can relax unmasked.  Also, for a person like me who has major hearing issues it was hard to communicate with the crew members because I was unable to lip read or understand their accent.  If the public is unmasked on board certainly it’s an opportunity to evaluate the need for crew members to be masked since they are tested once a week.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Personally, I think that it'll be great when masks are not required. But, I'll patiently wait for the experts to give the green light.

Put a group of "experts" in the same room and they will agree on nothing.

• Thanks 2

I don't think we will see the crew without masks for awhile. They make up a good part of the "infection rate" aboard a ship and that affects many other aspects of a cruise. RCI is going to do the best they can to preserve the cruise experience for paying guests even if that means masking for employees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gonole1972 said:

If the public is unmasked on board certainly it’s an opportunity to evaluate the need for crew members to be masked since they are tested once a week.

Up to date crew will be tested once every 2 weeks.  Everyone else will be weekly

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Interesting, the entire cruise industry except for American Queen Voyages, has opted into the CDC program. That's enough of a consensus for me.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

BTW, Looks like Azamara is the first to opt for Vaccination Standard of Excellence. Only a matter of time before more ships join.

That's the most likely way for the crew to unmask.

The cruise lines had no choice but to opt in. it was basically extortion by the CDC

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Our headwaiter from August/September cruises just got back onboard Symphony.  Current requirement for crew is N95.  No cloth masks allowed any more.  Going to be tough breathing after a few hours in that.

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Actually, my experience is the opposite. I'm more comfortable with the N95 masks for periods of an hour or two. The N95 fits tightly. So, I don't have have to readjust a basic mask that is too large or small.

In my case, a large mask tends to slide downwards as I move. On the other hand, a mask that's too small tends to slide upwards. Either case, I end up trying to freeze my face in order to prevent further slippage. Gets in the way of breathing.

Take a lesson from the medical professionals who have to use N95 masks for a full shift. They would definitely not downgrade to a lesser mask.

Of course, there is abrasion of the skin from prolonged usage. I would imagine that a lubricant is used where the mask contacts the skin.

Follow the instructions of the manufacturer. There is a build up of heat and possibly CO2. So, users should vent their mask (sip and cover) periodically.

Or not.