The Daily for Wednesday 03/09/2022

richwmn

Today is Barbie Day, Get Over It Day, and Panic Day

Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car.--Garrison Keillor

Meal Suggestion for today - Mole Poblano
Drink of the Day - Summer Friday
Wine of the Day - Domaine Laporte 2019 La Comtesse (Sancerre) Loire
Destination of the Day - Puerto Montt, Chile

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay, Bah

Bimini Sands Resort, BS

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Eurodam   07:00 - 17:00

Hilo, Hawaii Island

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 18:00

Mazatlan, MX

Koningsdam   08:00 - 21:00

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 17:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Noordam   Drifting

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Westerdam  

0309World.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 11

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day.

Interesting days.  I had several Barbies when I was younger, I wonder what ever happened to them?

It's important to "get over" things but sometimes it's hard to do.  Panic Day?!  No thanks.

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds interesting, hope it isn't too spicy.

Looking forward to seeing the cocktail recipe, I've never heard of it.  Hope the wine is good.

It's supposed to warm up again this afternoon, hope some more snow melts.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

I'm not a fan of Garrison Kiellor but I love the quote.  I've been to Puerto Montt on the Crystal Symphony in 2016 and Zaandam in 2017.  Drawing a complete blank on the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Yankee Pot Roast, and Cherry Strudel, as served on MS Prinsendam March 9, 2019:

dishes09.jpg

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Rich, I don’t think the Westerdam is in PEV.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏❤️

I think that may be the Noordam and visible on the FLL Hilton Beach webcam.  @DeeniEncinitas may have a good view from her balcony,

Today's lists:

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall and insurance  complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui as Jose continues to decline, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami search for better caregiver
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
Mr Boston with mild covid
Dfish excessive wait for spine followup
From the rotation:
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

MS Eurodam in Everglades

edam0309.thumb.JPG.111630c01fb13d2e1f40916a2f3fac6e.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
3 days for Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
3 days for DeeniEncinitas (Ruby Princess to 3/27)
4 days for GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20)
Horizon Chaser 1957 booking fantastic sequence of cruises
Great advice from HALSailor
Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam t 3/16), Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
 DeeniEncinitas ashore briefly with great balcony
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think that may be the Noordam and visible on the FLL Hilton Beach webcam.  @DeeniEncinitas may have a good view from her balcony,

Today's lists:

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall and insurance  complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui as Jose continues to decline, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami search for better caregiver
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
Mr Boston with mild covid
Dfish excessive wait for spine followup
From the rotation:
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

MS Eurodam in Everglades

edam0309.thumb.JPG.111630c01fb13d2e1f40916a2f3fac6e.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
3 days for Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
3 days for DeeniEncinitas (Ruby Princess to 3/27)
4 days for GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20)
Horizon Chaser 1957 booking fantastic sequence of cruises
Great advice from HALSailor
Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam t 3/16), Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
 DeeniEncinitas ashore briefly with great balcony
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.thumb.jpeg.d1582d1f9492a61c5d58c4b67304577b.jpeg

Roy I took this at 6:30 am!! David saw it on Cruise Mapper! Wanted to wait and get a better pic when the sun comes up!! Miss you Roy!! 
🌺Denise☺️

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s report..  I’ll pass on Barbie and panic days but it is important to get over things.  While I like Garrison’s quote, a garbage can?  What can I say, it’s early.  Mole poblano is a sauce that is served with the chicken enchiladas that I love at Casa Romero here in Boston.  I haven’t been to today’s port but I do look forward to seeing the photos.  Still have the mild lingering symptoms of my Covid cold but since I have to isolate myself and work from home this week I’m taking it quite easy.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and the Ukraine people.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 29

19 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Rich, I don’t think the Westerdam is in PEV.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏❤️

Seems like yesterday was something about 'Proofreading'!!!

Noordam is in Port Everglades today along with Eurodam

Westerdam is off Long Beach CA, at anchorage.

thanks for catching this.

Rich

Just checked again, Noordam is at Anchorage off PEV

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

We’ve had several beautiful weather days here in MD.  Everyone started working on their gardens.  

Things were turning green and trees had started to bud.

Today we have cold, rain and some snow showers.  I hope nothing freezes.

Have a Lovely Day, Dailyites!

• Like 26

Good morning! One can sense it’s March as the winds and rough seas continue. Hopefully. We will be able to tender in St. John’s today.

Lot’s of activities on board for those who like to stay entertained and busy. We enjoyed guest lectures and the dancer and singers really put on a great show. We are fortunate that we have two singer and dancer groups on board. Last night’s group get’s off today.

Tonight we will dine in MDR and tonight’s theme is Greek Cuisine. Service is great and they definitely keep your wine glass charged. Tonight will be Cherry Jubilee night and entertainment will be pool side. So another weight gain opportunity.

A few folks wearing mask but the majority are not. Crew is still masked. Officers are very accessible and frequently stop and chat.

We are enjoying our new experience so much we have an appointment today with Future Cruise Consultant for a Spain and France back to backs next summer.

Thanks Rich and fellow cruisers.

Last night’s mini Baked Alaska

image.thumb.jpeg.6367578d1d947894ef0cb2a0e73226b5.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 35

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! That quote echoes through my mind. Some of the most unChristian-like behavior comes from people who yell they are Christians the loudest. 

We had more rain yesterday. And I got to meet my new neighbors yesterday. A lovely couple who are very excited about moving closer to their Grandchildren. They joined us at the end of packing day for a drink and bubble wrap punching. 😎

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites! Off to the gym. Then more packing later on. We expect more rain, but that is good. Our drought index has already come down a few points. 

Random smiles…

F12C8809-E750-4293-BA35-E7BF816636E9.jpeg.e1f51e6ab90bad5b3bff68d7f1cd576b.jpeg

BB82D0FD-9E62-46B4-A371-918F6C5EFFF5.jpeg.c8d868a00a15c23b118185b19ddc75c4.jpeg

8B7A8C21-5CA3-4586-A7B8-4E524DF1E27C.jpeg.fc8847736940358461d6212a0c033aea.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine Laporte 2019 La Comtesse

The Loire Valley was the site of my first wine adventure. It was during the days when my allergies limited my wines to Sauvignon Blanc & Pinot Noir. I know I had quite a few Loire Sancerres during my visit. This one is a bit elusive. On online distributor offering it for $39.99. I would want to taste it before buying a bottle. 
Product Notes

LA COMTESSE
This extremely steep plot of land which comes from kimmeridgian marls enjoys exceptional sunshine and soil conditions. « La Comtesse » is the fruit of a rigorous selection, in which Sauvignon Blanc is given its true round and full-bodied pedigree.
 The Comtesse is planted on a prime south facing marly and chalky slope in the village of Chavignol.
GRAPE VARIETY: Sauvignon Blanc
TERROIR: Kimmeridgian marls
The grapes are hand-picked and after racking at low temperature, the wine ferments for 10 days in stainless steel tanks at temperatures ranging from 15° to 20°C (59° to 68°F). Neither yeasting nor malolactic fermentation is used. The wine is matured on its fine lees for 5 months and is then vacuum- bottled (exclusively in darkly tinted bottles). Only high quality natural corks are used. The wine undergoes additional maturation for at least one month in the bottle before being offered for sale.
TASTING
The " Comtesse " is characterized by its delicate floral aromas and its full structure in the mouth. Really great with grilled fish, roasted bass with fennel, seafood.
Service temperature: 11 and 13°C
Ageing: 6 to 8 years following the harvest

Edited by cat shepard
Gremlins
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Good morning.  My sister collects Barbies, her first one is worth some $$.  I have a problem getting over some things.  I usually don't panic until the event is over.  LOL  Interesting quote.  Will pass on the meal and have not been to today's port.

MAJOR prayers for all of us.  Will toast 🍸all of us tonight.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Summer Friday:

Ingredients
3 parts Hornitos® Reposado Tequila
1 1/2 parts Passion Fruit Puree
1 1/2 parts Agave Nectar
1 part Aperol® Aperitif
Dash Lemon Juice
Blood Orange, Slice

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a shaker, shake and strain over ice. Garnish with a slice of blood orange.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 7.48.47 AM.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.  

The weather said it was snowing here, but I don't see any flakes.  It is too warm for snow, but it will be drizzly and gloomy all day.  At least it is in the 40s and not the 20s.   The days are getting longer and the increased daylight does have an effect on mood.  And maybe on behavior as well.  At my hair appointment yesterday I made arrangements to go back next week and get cobalt blue and magenta highlights in my hair.  You only live once and you may as well have fun doing it.  

As @Mr. Boston said, mole poblano is a sauce that can be served over chicken, turkey, or you favorite burritos or enchiladas.  And, for many of us, it has chocolate in it!   Dessert for dinner!   Mole is a term covering many different sauces in Mexico, but it's mole poblano—a thick and savory chile and chocolate sauce from the state of Puebla—that's most synonymous with "mole" around the world. This sauce usually includes twenty or more ingredients, many requiring their own preparation, and the whole thing takes many hours to fully complete.

https://www.seriouseats.com/mole-poblano-recipe-how-to-make-mole

Here you see it served over chicken.

649757509_molepoblano1.jpg.3d020a4f5c3fb786408f017e689317c1.jpg

This next one suggests serving it over fried eggs.  You could make a Mole Benedict and replace the Hollandaise Sauce with Mole.  https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/how-to-make-mole-poblano/

1495285535_molepoblano2.thumb.jpg.ce9bf131c09ac1a058b346b2baeb6e20.jpg

And then there is is this one:  https://www.mexicanplease.com/mole-poblano-recipe/

1767964747_molepoblano4.jpg.862ce98fd4ddb05aac88b4922f581335.jpg

Prayers for those in need and cheers for those celebrating.   Wishing everyone a delightful day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Good collection of days!  We definitely had Barbies as children and they and all their clothes and houses were saved by my mother.  When the grandchildren arrived, the Barbies came back out and “Poppa” had lots of fun playing Barbie with the grand’s.

Getting over things and not going into a panic is so important for our emotional health.  Sometimes it’s easier said than done, though 😉 

51A75D2D-9F6C-4EDB-A3A6-CC056A8C1BA2.gif.67995ce8862bc79d682335b633217d85.gif

Love the quote for today.  So true!  The meal should be yummy!  Looking forward to hearing about the wine.

22BF5D09-DF4C-47AD-BBAC-E947C032113A.jpeg.1ed74482800a8b459800acc79e295d7f.jpeg

We enjoyed today’s port when we were there.  South America offers so much!

Typical of March, the weather is in yo you mode.  Above freezing for our rain / wind storm and now the temps are back to miserably cold and, of course, another storm forecast for the weekend 😠   I guess the other day was the Spring of Deception 😉 

EFB67FC7-2A6A-4786-B2AD-C55A67D28D7E.thumb.jpeg.c17012a55656d8d4c19a89c67bf3c970.jpeg

I have a telephone interview with Social Services this afternoon after I get home - not sure what to expect but it is a much needed step to get Jose placed.  A must to do and I will be glad when it is done.

6AB0ABF7-3259-4BF1-BE77-9DF9C8BEFB71.jpeg.ac95bc440328fa5209c66d9a51819625.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, the brave people of Ukraine & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

4DCF3B27-CB46-4D9A-8B0F-82E5923C8D07.thumb.jpeg.78de47dba2c0096623317a0f48ff05fe.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when needed.

FFC27D03-FF2D-4AF0-8859-7954CD8ADE4E.thumb.jpeg.beec7cd9ec9efb513024653a6bcf0a38.jpeg

• Like 42
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've never owned a Barbie; I had a Debbie doll, a pretty petite redhead.  Get over it seems a little harsh to me.  I've never been one to panic - I think part of that is my years of being a St John's Ambulance First Aid instructor, where you learn to "keep your head about you, when all about are losing theirs . . ."   We used to enjoy listening to Garrison Keillor on the radio, and saw him a couple of times on PBS specials.  His quote is quite true.

@rafinmdthank you for posting the link to the Bimini webcam - it's especially appreciated this morning because after a couple of days of near 0 degree temperatures, we've been plunged down into the icy freeze of -25C with a wind chill of -35C.    

Spirit.jpg.75ab00634873d8a4b1e2c1a9334209b0.jpg

Yesterday was pretty quiet around our house with DH just taking it easy; I think he was still getting over the effects of the sedation, because he had 3 long naps throughout the day.  I had to make a brief run out to a bank across the city to pick up Euros for our November trip, but other than that not much got accomplished.  I think today will be our grocery run for the week - I know DH will appreciate getting out of the house.

I think I'd like today's menu suggestion, but unless the spicing is mild, DH wouldn't.  Next time we're in a Mexican restaurant, I'll have to ask to sample some.  For us though, I'll be thawing out some frozen meat loaf that will be served alongside garlic mashed potatoes, and a cucumber & tomato salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all those who are providing assistance.  We'll raise the wine glasses tonight to celebrate all who make up the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, be well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 39

Happy Hump Day!

My sister had a Barbie and I had a Ken doll. Not sure what my mother was thinking. I do recall that Christmas, she pulled his pants down to see if he was anatomically correct 😳. She was weird…

After being in a combat zone, I’ve learned to get over things quickly and not panic. 

That quote can be applied to a lot of situations today!

The meal, drink, and wine sound pretty good. I’ve never been south of Acapulco, but I do want to schedule a Panama Canal cruise. 

Tried to do my final check in for my cruise this weekend, but the Health Assessment says “please check back later…”. 😡. Bah

• Like 26

Good morning all !  It's another gray day in Atlanta, we had a hellish thunderstorm yesterday evening, and I woke up before 6 while another storm was rumbling through.  It should clear a little, making more space in the skies to bring in more rain later.  All the lights in the house are flickering, so I think I need to really get out and cut back some of the vines on the power lines.raining-cats-and-dogs1.jpg

I had a Barbie, and her friend Midge.  I liked Midge, but Barbie was just weird.  Way to shapely to be real.  I cut off her hair to see if she improved, which she didn't and then I tore her head off.  I did not appreciate dolls, I was a stuffed animal person.  Still am, but these days the stuffed animals are self animated.  I spoke with a woman on the phone last week (sales call) and we got on the topic of dolls, she said she tore their legs off, so they couldn't run away, but they could still talk to each other.  So, I guess there are people out there as crazy as me, but maybe the reaction to dolls should be analyzed.

Panic?  I'm good at it.  I get weird news. I sit down, I think of all the options to deal with it, I choose one, and then get told by a zillion people I chose the wrong option, and then I panic.  And then I remember that God has my back, even if the end result isn't what I want,   and I let the panic go.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29
  • Haha 4

Good morning. I saw a few snowflakes earlier but I don’t think they will amount to much. I do try to let things go but there have been a few panicky  moments lately. I find that I can usually do well in an emergency but will have a bit of a meltdown later.

The quote is a good one. We have not been to the port. I look forward to the recipe. Dinner is not figured out yet for today.

@kazu, Jacqui, I hope that Jose’s placement in a good facility will occur soon. It will be yet another adjustment for you both and I hope there is something nearby. The differences in Canadian and US healthcare  are so vast but I am glad you have been mostly covered during this long hospitalization. I hope your weather is better today.

Terry

• Like 27