Anyone attending the protest at Sydney & Brisbane this coming Sunday 13/3/22

Cruising Honey  from FB has organised a protest this coming Sunday for Sydney & Brisbane to bring back cruising

anyone wanting to go Sydney is at the OPT and Brisbane is at Portside

both venues are at 12pm to 3pm

its going to be a peaceful protest with tv coverage  police have given the ok

Edited by rkmw

• rkmw changed the title to Anyone attending the protest at Sydney & Brisbane this coming Sunday 13/3/22

I would honestly be surprised if that many people turn up. I could imagine some who work in the industry might be there but is there really a significant amount of passengers who are dedicated enough to turn up to a protest🤔?  I also wonder about the timing. Next to the news reports of floods in Australia and war in Ukraine I feel like it is probably going to be perceived as a bit of a first world problems protest😳.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I also wonder about the timing. Next to the news reports of floods in Australia and war in Ukraine I feel like it is probably going to be perceived as a bit of a first world problems protest😳.

Yes, the timing has become a bit unfortunate but the protest was planned well before both of those events happened.

39 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Protesters at the moment have a pretty lousy reputation, personally I wouldn't lower myself.

Cruising Honey put up her hand to try and convince our government to lift the cruising ban and what better way than having a peaceful protest, it may not help but at least she’s trying to get cruising back to Sydney & Brisbane 

as for the timing with what’s been happening with the QLD & Sydney floods this was planned a month ago

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rkmw said:

Cruising Honey put up her hand to try and convince our government to lift the cruising ban and what better way than having a peaceful protest, it may not help but at least she’s trying to get cruising back to Sydney & Brisbane 

as for the timing with what’s been happening with the QLD & Sydney floods this was planned a month ago

Bad planing ,today is the National Cabinet Meeting where they will decide the lifting of the ban or not then parliament is in caretakers mode for the duration of the election. Premier Dominic Perrottet has had 3 meetings this week an is said to be most active in restart of cruising .636584225_Screenshot_20220311-125529_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cd97130a4d46510773eeae08177d9d8a.jpg

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Bad planing ,today is the National Cabinet Meeting where they will decide the lifting of the ban or not then parliament is in caretakers mode for the duration of the election. Premier Dominic Perrottet has had 3 meetings this week an is said to be most active in restart of cruising .636584225_Screenshot_20220311-125529_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cd97130a4d46510773eeae08177d9d8a.jpg

Did anyone know that parliament was going to bring the cruising ban up today, I don’t think so and if they lift the ban that’s good but if they don’t the protest will go ahead as planned, we hope the government gets off their bums and do something to get cruising back

56 minutes ago, rkmw said:

Did anyone know that parliament was going to bring the cruising ban up today, I don’t think so and if they lift the ban that’s good but if they don’t the protest will go ahead as planned, we hope the government gets off their bums and do something to get cruising back

Everyone one in the cruise industry has been in meetings this week ,they all know . Today is the last day parliament can do anything as it go's  into election mode . You can go to your local member to request issue to be tender to parliament both state and federal. The pen is more powerful than a piece of cardboard. 

The government doesn’t go into caretaker mode until the election is called, unless I’ve missed something that hasn’t happened yet, last date for the election is 21 May, they need to call it between 33 and 68 days prior to the date of the election.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The government doesn’t go into caretaker mode until the election is called, unless I’ve missed something that hasn’t happened yet, last date for the election is 21 May, they need to call it between 33 and 68 days prior to the date of the election.

The latest date for the call of an 21 May election is 18 April.

44 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yes but a budget has to be delivered and a response from the other mob is needed that's why they were saying today's cabinet meeting was the last time till after parliament returned after the election. 

20 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Yes but a budget has to be delivered and a response from the other mob is needed that's why they were saying today's cabinet meeting was the last time till after parliament returned after the election. 

It is possible that todays National Cabinet will be the last before the election. National Cabinet is made up of State Premiers and Chief Ministers so different from the Federal Govt cabinet.

Edited by Cruisegroover

19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am doing my bit by going to the Canberra yacht club on Saturday at 3pm, it will be a silent protest over a few drinks

hope to catch up with Uncle Les on Wed night - no protest but maybe a couple of drinks 🙂 @NSWP

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mr walker said:

hope to catch up with Uncle Les on Wed night - no protest but maybe a couple of drinks 🙂 @NSWP

Neil, I have caught you..., yes Wednesday night is a goer, I would like to take you both down to the best Chinese on South Coast, if not the woooorld, Raymonds at Malua Bay,  15 minutes south. How's about I pick you up @ 5.30pm on Wednesday  near the barrier car park at the Coach House where you are staying..? 

Chinese cuisine par excellence, but if you want steak or fish or etc, they can do that too.

Who knows, it is on the water, we might see a cruise ship sail by..in our dreams,, lol.

Les.🍻

Edited by NSWP

No change to the current situation 

Resumption of Cruising

National Cabinet discussed the resumption of cruises in Australia, noting that there are shared responsibilities for the resumption of cruises between the Commonwealth, states and territories. National Cabinet agreed that following a decision by the Commonwealth to lift the bio-security orders that currently prevent cruise ships from coming to Australia that states and the Northern Territory would then determine when recommencement of cruises would occur in each jurisdiction, consistent with the previous agreement of the National Cabinet of 5 November 2021.

The Commonwealth, New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland agreed to work with the industry to implement new protocols to enable the resumption of cruising over coming months.

Updated now  - https://www.pm.gov.au/media/national-cabinet-statement-67 

Resumption of Cruising

National Cabinet noted positive progress by the eastern states and the cruise industry to develop appropriate health protocols and common guidelines to support a safe return to cruising in their jurisdictions over the coming months.

Next National Cabinet meeting will be in June.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

On the Ch9 news (which was a pro-cruising story), there appeared to be about 50 people.

fewer in Brisbane.

Oh, that's a shame. We ended up not going as I had an upset tummy this morning so thought it wiser not to head into the city. Anyway after the report from the National Cabinet meeting there didn't seem any point in protesting - the governments wouldn't take any notice of the protest anyway, they've already decided what will happen.