Escape damaged, cruise cancelled, passengers being flown home

Javajitterz

Video on the Norwegian Escape page of the captain on the ship's intercom announcing the ship will be debarking passengers over the next couple days and getting them home. We were supposed to be on that cruise, glad we didn't go, I cannot fly. No idea what the heck they would have done with me, but my eardrums cannot take altitude

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Javajitterz said:

Video on the Norwegian Escape page of the captain on the ship's intercom announcing the ship will be debarking passengers over the next couple days and getting them home. We were supposed to be on that cruise, glad we didn't go, I cannot fly. No idea what the heck they would have done with me, but my eardrums cannot take altitude

Perhaps get you to another ship and have you sail home?

When all of the cruises came to a screeching halt back in Spring, 2020, there were a lot of cruises that stopped abruptly and passengers were flown home.  But there were a few passengers who apparently stayed aboard some, and sailed home anyway, despite long distances.  I'm forgetting if there was any explicit statement that it was at least in some cases because flying wasn't possible...?

GC

• Like 2

Well, the crew gets a break in exchange as they aren't going anywhere (and, still not permitted to leave the ship on any shore leaves, per my understanding).  

It's a closed loop cruise ... hopefully, everyone on the cruise (advised for / recommended to do so) carried their valid travel documents, i.e. passports for air travel, #things happened.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Well, the crew gets a break in exchange as they aren't going anywhere (and, still not permitted to leave the ship on any shore leaves, per my understanding).  

It's a closed loop cruise ... hopefully, everyone on the cruise (advised for / recommended to do so) carried their valid travel documents, i.e. passports for air travel, #things happened.  

I’d guess there are some without passports onboard since closed loop allows you to sail with just a birth certificate. I was on what was supposed to be a 6 night cruise in 2017 that turned into 11 nights from Hurricane Irma. We changed from Eastern to a Western itinerary and then did a second port call in Cozumel where anyone who wanted to could fly home 5 days in at their own expense. There was a large group onboard….several hundred….and many didn’t have passports. They were not permitted to disembark and there were many angry passengers.  Will be curious to see what happens here. Will non passport pax be required to obtain an emergency one? Is there such a thing as a waiver in these circumstances?

• Like 2

That really stinks for passengers onboard and those scheduled for March 19. Almost no way to change plans or recover vacation time. For me, once vacation is approved, it is gone. If you can't go or something, you don't get it back. The least they could do for the people that are on the cruise currently is let them stay aboard, enjoy what the ship offers, and explore the DR with excursions and things.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vacruizer said:

I’d guess there are some without passports onboard since closed loop allows you to sail with just a birth certificate. I was on what was supposed to be a 6 night cruise in 2017 that turned into 11 nights from Hurricane Irma. We changed from Eastern to a Western itinerary and then did a second port call in Cozumel where anyone who wanted to could fly home 5 days in at their own expense. There was a large group onboard….several hundred….and many didn’t have passports. They were not permitted to disembark and there were many angry passengers.  Will be curious to see what happens here. Will non passport pax be required to obtain an emergency one? Is there such a thing as a waiver in these circumstances?

Waivers have been granted in the past in similar circumstances and I expect they will be here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Crew IS allowed off in Caribbean ports now although they must stay within the port area.

• Like 1

A friend on board reported damage is more extensive than initially thought. I am booked for three weeks beginning April 2nd and am doubtful the ship will be able to sail by then. Since Escape is scheduled to head to Europe April 25th,  I wonder if they will cancel the remaining cruises from Port Canaveral.

• Like 4

We were on the Escape on the 19th. We are disappointed to have our plans change so suddenly, but they were able to put us on the Encore out of Miami on the 20th in the same room category and give us 100% FCC for another cruise.

I’m feel bad for those with rooms in the Haven for our sailing, since all of the 3 replacement cruises we were offered for next week had already filled up their Haven rooms with upgrades.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, aswmammoth said:

We were on the Escape on the 19th. We are disappointed to have our plans change so suddenly, but they were able to put us on the Encore out of Miami on the 20th in the same room category and give us 100% FCC for another cruise.

I’m feel bad for those with rooms in the Haven for our sailing, since all of the 3 replacement cruises we were offered for next week had already filled up their Haven rooms with upgrades.

A lot of last minute changes for some, it sounds like! Seems like there may be a lot of passengers  from Escape 3/19 that will still be able to be cruising next week, with some joining our cruise on the Encore 3/20. Do you know what the other 2 replacement ships were, that were offered? Those cruises will obviously be at higher capacity that originally expected, and may be one of the 1st that will seem more like the pre-covid cruise experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

A friend on board reported damage is more extensive than initially thought. I am booked for three weeks beginning April 2nd and am doubtful the ship will be able to sail by then. Since Escape is scheduled to head to Europe April 25th,  I wonder if they will cancel the remaining cruises from Port Canaveral.

I’m booked on the transatlantic voyage to Rome April 25th . Now idk if we will get canceled too . 🤔 

10 minutes ago, doreenrae said:

Do you know what the other 2 replacement ships were, that were offered?

I know the Joy sails from Miami on the 19th, I'm on that cruise.  I wouldn't be surprised if we have some additional passengers on board that were planning on a different itinerary and ship...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Waivers have been granted in the past in similar circumstances and I expect they will be here.

I was reading that they are working on a charter flight. Wouldn't that mean it would be okay to not have a passport. Since they could in theory go straight from the boat and be shuttled to the plane (airport) and not technically be in the country? Sorry not an experienced international traveler.

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

On Epic currently, the crew has reported being on rotation for shore leave - they get time ashore every other week.

Morale is currently high according to DisneyDude. Still having parties, etc.

Update: Morale on the ship is high. Everyone that is out at the bars and restaurants are having a good time. Making the most of our time left here. Haven’t heard many negative comments. 

Edited by Flipchild32
UPdated
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Flipchild32 said:

I was reading that they are working on a charter flight. Wouldn't that mean it would be okay to not have a passport. Since they could in theory go straight from the boat and be shuttled to the plane (airport) and not technically be in the country? Sorry not an experienced international traveler.

No.