Celebrity cruise items off your packing list

mfs2k

My first cruise, I brought 12 pairs of shoes.  12.  I wised up and realized I didn’t need that many.  😅  My cruise packing checklist no longer has 12 spots for shoes.  I do however now bring 2 checked bags that each come in just under 70 lbs (which is hard to keep it under that) along with my rolling carry-on, backpack or tote and pocketbook.  ...and to think there are many items I no longer bring.  Film as an example.  Imagine all those necessary items from years ago that are no longer needed but getting packed now?   I would need 3 checked bags.  🤣

American Express Travelers Cheques as others mentioned.   I loved them!  It felt like a trip was about to start.  I actually tried getting them a few months ago for a trip but couldn't find a place.  They still do have them, the problem is finding a place to get them. 

As for an item no longer on a packing checklist.  A travel alarm clock.  I have to say, I do use the wake up call though because sometimes on the ship, the time on my cell phone would be whacky but that issue seems to have gotten better/worked out over the years.  

🍹

On 3/19/2022 at 12:30 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Just curious - are these items you are suggesting to include, or remove, from your packing list? The OP suggested items that they used to pack, but apparently no longer do - as would also be suggested by their thread title.

Those are what I do pack. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I only asked as my interpretation of the OP's question was with regards to what they no longer pack.  But no big deal either way as multiple responses answered it both ways. 🙂

Understand.  That’s not as much as I use to pack though.  I have slimmed my bag down over the years.  My DW on the other hand still has extra’s of almost everything. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Those are what I do pack. 

I was kinda hoping you’d tell us that’s what you Didn’t bring…..oh well. 

yup, I quit with the Tux or suit and dress shoes. But I bring a travel blazer and bow tie. We also cut way back on how much we bring,  not as many change of clothes. One 30lb med suitcase, a carry on and hand bag each. Don’t worry about packing enough shirts and such since I know we will find  things we want to buy. 

so yup, a lot less. Use the ship’s binoculars, slippers and robe, umbrella. And try to quit bringing so many chargers and cords and such. 

no more maps or travel guides.. all books, videos music and travel info on ipads. We do bring a few extra bags to bring back special stuff. 

den

• Travelers checks (many years ago)
  • Laptop computer (more recently)
  • Camera 
  • Alarm clock
  • Many pairs of dress shoes

My smartphone could now serve as my computer (though I found I never really needed it), and I always use it as my alarm clock these days anyhow.  My previous phone didn't take good enough pics to replace my camera, but my new one is pretty awesome!   

Edited by Vagabond Knight

The very large suitcase. I have found less is plenty and there is always laundry service if needed. When we go on river cruises that have laundry service available to guests, I only pack a carry-on size with mostly washable clothes. It also helps to have a lot of mix/match clothes.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

My first cruise, I brought 12 pairs of shoes.  12.  I wised up and realized I didn’t need that many.  😅  My cruise packing checklist no longer has 12 spots for shoes.  I do however now bring 2 checked bags that each come in just under 70 lbs (which is hard to keep it under that) along with my rolling carry-on, backpack or tote and pocketbook.  ...and to think there are many items I no longer bring.  Film as an example.  Imagine all those necessary items from years ago that are no longer needed but getting packed now?   I would need 3 checked bags.  🤣

American Express Travelers Cheques as others mentioned.   I loved them!  It felt like a trip was about to start.  I actually tried getting them a few months ago for a trip but couldn't find a place.  They still do have them, the problem is finding a place to get them. 

As for an item no longer on a packing checklist.  A travel alarm clock.  I have to say, I do use the wake up call though because sometimes on the ship, the time on my cell phone would be whacky but that issue seems to have gotten better/worked out over the years.  

🍹

70 lbs for ea bag?  Baggage allowance is now 50 lbs.  Do you pay extra charges to get that allowance?

10 minutes ago, Hickeyclan1 said:

70 lbs for ea bag?  Baggage allowance is now 50 lbs.  Do you pay extra charges to get that allowance?

Depends on your status or cabin class with the airline you're using.  E.g., business/Polaris/first or silver status and above on United allows for 70# per bag.

9 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

🍹

Do you travel with a forklift? 🙂

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I no longer bring my two kids.😀

LOL - my thirty eight year old daughter and her husband still seem to show up to cruise with us.

They are, however, now in their own cabin and pay their way.

It is nice that they enjoy our company.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hickeyclan1 said:

First Class.  Besides the extra perks, I have to fly First Class just for the extra weight limit. 😅

🍹

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Do you travel with a forklift? 🙂

Haha.  No.  I do warn those that are lifting my bags that they are heavy.  Then the airline puts fluorescent HEAVY tags on them.   I tip generously for the people having to lift them.  

It's my exercise during a trip. Lifting my bags. 😉

🍹

OTC Meds Prescription meds Cosmetics Personal Care Electronics Incidentals Security Clothing    

Aspirin an extra week of all meds Make up toothbrush Phone Storage Cubes for above bed cabinet Credit Card # and Phone contacts underwear    
Anti-diarrheal (even the ones you only need occasionally) Facial Cleanser toothpaste Kindle Magnetic hooks/string Passport socks    
Tylenol Transdermscop - if needed / used Moisturizer dental floss Tablet Towel Clips Global Entry daytime clothing    
Motril/Advil   Make up mirror waterpik Charging cables Beach Bag Vaccination Card evening clothing    
Excedrin   nail polish shampoo Multi-port USB hub Sewing Kit Photo ID gym clothing    
Allergy (clariton)   nail glue conditioner Adaptor for European outlet Safety pins Trip Insurance Docs shoes    
Allergy Nasal Spray   nail polish remover body wash Earpods Duct tape Hotel Contact # belts    
Mucinex   make-up remover body lotion Camera & Batteries scissors Emergency Contact list pajamas    
Cough Medicine     sunscreen mini alarm clock eyewear repair kit Photocopies of above even if saved in phone bathing suits    
Probiotic     insect spray Car charger if driving sunglasses x2 in case one gets lost or broken Negative Covid test results cover-ups    
Anti-diarrheal     hairspray   Hand sanitizer Abbott BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services sandals    
Antacid     hairdryer   Disinfectant Wipes   sneakers    
GasX     comb   umbrella   purse    
DairyEase     brush   binoculars  
Jewelry for day,night and special occasions.

Airborne     flat iron   lysol spray        
Benadryl     curling iron   Tissue packs        
Benadryl Cream     deodorant   roll of emergency toilet paper        
Neosporin     shaving cream   PooPouri        
Hydrocortisone Cream     razor   extra hangers        
Vitamins     cotton balls   extra eyeglasses/readers        
Bandaids     cotton swabs   straws        
Antibacterial eye drops     band aids            
Allergy eye drops     Tide stain remover            
Vicks VapoRub     Tweezers            
Tums     Nail clippers            
anti-itch cream     Nail file            
Nose Strips     perfume/cologne            
meds for constipation     Downey Wrinkle spray            

From the looks of the above list it looks like things just get added lol!           

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, TeeRick said:

No tuxedo, ties, or sport coats.  No men's dress shoes.  Just smart casual.

No full lap top- but I do bring a tablet/iPad.

I do bring books - I do not like e-books.  But DW only reads e-books.

No walkie-talkies.

No Walkman or portable music players (cassettes, CD players), other than my smart phone.

No traveler's checks (remember American Express?).  No large wads of cash but instead some smaller amounts if needed.  I just rely on ATM's and pre-paid debit/visa cards.  Even in foreign ports so no foreign currency in advance - with some exceptions depending on the travel situations.

No paperback dictionaries for language translations.  Again just the smart phone and aps.

Likewise no paper maps.

Do you have a language translation app that you can recommend?  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - my thirty eight year old daughter and her husband still seem to show up to cruise with us.

They are, however, now in their own cabin and pay their way.

It is nice that they enjoy our company.

Cruising with adult children is the best, no doubt..I have done two so far with mine. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GarCat88 said:

Do you have a language translation app that you can recommend?  Thanks. 

I just use the Apple Translate app that comes with iPhone.    I am sure there are a lot of them if you search.  I am not an expert on this.  There is a difference between language learning app's and translation app's.  I think it also depends on if you are translating a more common language or need something a bit different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I just use the Apple Translate app that comes with iPhone.    I am sure there are a lot of them if you search.  I am not an expert on this.  There is a difference between language learning app's and translation app's.  I think it also depends on if you are translating a more common language or need something a bit different.

I’ll check that out. Thanks for the info!

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Oh oh apologies, graphic as in details for him to grasp/understand?  

Probably referring to a graphic novel, as in story telling through both words and striking illustration. Think of a comic book the length of a novel. 

• Like 1