Protocols Update soon

molecrochip

11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

On Aurora recently, they simply ran out of quarantine cabins, so some people had to stay in their inside cabin until a balcony cabin became available, or before they were transferred to the 'support ship' Queen Victoria 

Thanks for the update I thought that was the case.

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The trouble is, P&O are very coy about the Covid figures, so we simply don't know how many people are being turned away each week.

However, I think it's unlikely to be 1 in 20, as, from what I've read, many people make behavioural changes in the week before their cruise, like avoiding going out socially, working from home and generally avoiding crowds, to avoid getting the virus ahead of their cruise.

This is the very epitome of ' learning to live with it' - doing things a bit differently in our changed world. 

I think the cruise companies still need to make every effort to keep the virus off the ship, so I believe pre cruise testing will be with us for some time.  

The difference to going to the gym, pub, restaurant etc is that you won't be living with the people at those locations for two weeks in a closed community 

I was going to post something similar, but you have expressed it all so clearly. I completely agree with you. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Amyracecar said:

I hope they keep at least some of the quarantine areas for as long as they're asking people to do so. I wouldn't mind staying in my own booked cabin as it has a balcony, but asking people in inside cabins (and staff) to stay in a small room with no windows or fresh air for up to 10 days is pretty awful. 

Yes, I can appreciate that isolation in an inside cabin would be absolutely dreadful. Even prison cells have some natural light (so I’m told)! Frankly, I’d be climbing the walls in any cabin, including a suite. It’s not what you pay thousands of pounds to experience.

Perhaps a compromise is to allow all those who are booked in balcony cabins and above to remain in their booked cabin for the duration of any isolation and reduce the number of cabins reserved for isolation to some balcony ones for those who have booked inside cabins but need to isolate. That way, far less people will have their holiday plans ruined when they get a call a few weeks before their cruise to be told that the cabin that they carefully chose two years ago is unavailable as it is in a designated quarantine zone. 

With what we know now about the virus, how it transmits (and doesn’t) and mercifully how mild it now is for the vast majority of fully vaccinated passengers, it just seems that the protocols (even after the minor relaxations announced this week) are now disproportionate. Yes, some people will get quite poorly, but that’s also the case with Norovirus and yet that’s never been treated in this way. It strikes me that the time has now come for these two viruses to be treated in the same way. 

• Like 11

While there is a risk of being removed from the ship and being quarantined in a potentially unpallatable hotel on land cruises should maintain and in fact tighten their protocols. IMHO. They need to consider their duty of care to the passenger. If the relaxation of the on board regulations causes a surge in cases on board then the cruise lines should be held responsible. If positive cases were allowed to remain on board in isolation then that would be acceptable to me but being put off the ship - not at all.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

Mask Policy Change

P&O have updated their website with a new mask policy, effective for departures from 27th March.

“Whilst we highly recommend that guests wear masks on board, they are only required in the theatre, cinema, or if you visit the medical centre. “

“Off the ship, masks are required during embarkation, disembarkation and when using tender boats*. Some destinations may also require you to wear masks when ashore and we recommend taking one with you whenever you disembark the ship.”

Wearing masks in the theatre and cinema, well that's a joke , on our recent Ventura cruise the amount of people who removed their masks as soon as the productions began, or before in most  cases was ridiculous, zero thought for anybody else or the staff who had to wear them full time 

23 hours ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

Mask Policy Change

P&O have updated their website with a new mask policy, effective for departures from 27th March.

“Whilst we highly recommend that guests wear masks on board, they are only required in the theatre, cinema, or if you visit the medical centre. “

“Off the ship, masks are required during embarkation, disembarkation and when using tender boats*. Some destinations may also require you to wear masks when ashore and we recommend taking one with you whenever you disembark the ship.”

Wearing masks in the theatre and cinema, well that's a joke , on our recent Ventura cruise the amount of people who removed their masks as soon as the productions began, or before in most  cases was ridiculous, zero thought for anybody else or the staff who had to wear them full time 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Whether we agree with the need for compulsory mask wearing or not, this will be one of the issues when the on board rules differ so much from those ashore. Personally, I would avoid going to the theatre or cinema for as long as mask wearing remains a requirement, but many others who struggle with masks will not be prepared to miss out on aspects of their cruise that they have paid for and will struggle to understand the logic of why behaviours that are now deemed to be a matter of personal choice ashore should be treated in a different manner on a cruise ship. I’m not saying that it’s right, but it’s human nature.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, mickey1959 said:

I didn't think inside cabins were used for quarantine, I thought it was just balconys.

It is just balconies at the moment (as long as sufficient are avabilable), but the original comment I was replying to was suggesting getting rid of quarantine areas and letting people stay in their own cabin. I was just responding that they should still keep some balcony cabins available for those that don't have them, if something along those lines was implemented. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I can appreciate that isolation in an inside cabin would be absolutely dreadful. Even prison cells have some natural light (so I’m told)! Frankly, I’d be climbing the walls in any cabin, including a suite. It’s not what you pay thousands of pounds to experience.

Perhaps a compromise is to allow all those who are booked in balcony cabins and above to remain in their booked cabin for the duration of any isolation and reduce the number of cabins reserved for isolation to some balcony ones for those who have booked inside cabins but need to isolate. That way, far less people will have their holiday plans ruined when they get a call a few weeks before their cruise to be told that the cabin that they carefully chose two years ago is unavailable as it is in a designated quarantine zone. 

With what we know now about the virus, how it transmits (and doesn’t) and mercifully how mild it now is for the vast majority of fully vaccinated passengers, it just seems that the protocols (even after the minor relaxations announced this week) are now disproportionate. Yes, some people will get quite poorly, but that’s also the case with Norovirus and yet that’s never been treated in this way. It strikes me that the time has now come for these two viruses to be treated in the same way. 

I agree with your final paragraph. I read recently in my daily paper that the risk of dying after contracting the Omicron variant of covid is no higher and probably lower than the risk of dying after contracting Winter flu. This was repeated by a senior doctor on a BBC tv covid update. Yet we still treat it as though it is the dread disease it was 2 years ago. We need to learn to live with it like we do with flu. Vacinate the vulnerable, take sensible precautions if you have got it, but otherwise get on with life - and cruising.

Edited by Denarius
grammar
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Hmm,  less mitigations onboard, at a time when  incidence of infection is rife and rising, including in the older population as their immunity wanes and its a virus that can make people feel very poorly indeed (see Megabear's thread)

What could possibly go wrong........ 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hmm,  less mitigations onboard, at a time when  incidence of infection is rife and rising, including in the older population as their immunity wanes and its a virus that can make people feel very poorly indeed (see Megabear's thread)

What could possibly go wrong........ 

I understand that some individuals have significantly worse symptoms than others. However,  fortunately,  the vast majority get off relatively lightly.

Do the cruise lines continue with draconian protocols, for the benefit of the few, which economically cannot be sustained indefinitely,  or  loosen the various guide lines, so as to encourage more people to cruise,  with consequent gains in profitability ?

I think we all have to determine our own level of risk. I am perfectly happy to cruise with relaxed protocols. Those that are not happy should perhaps seek other holidays that fall within their comfort zone for the immediate future .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Billish said:

I understand that some individuals have significantly worse symptoms than others. However,  fortunately,  the vast majority get off relatively lightly.

Do the cruise lines continue with draconian protocols, for the benefit of the few, which economically cannot be sustained indefinitely,  or  loosen the various guide lines, so as to encourage more people to cruise,  with consequent gains in profitability ?

I think we all have to determine our own level of risk. I am perfectly happy to cruise with relaxed protocols. Those that are not happy should perhaps seek other holidays that fall within their comfort zone for the immediate future .

Mitigations are in place for the benefit of all of us not just a few people.

But,  far do they go in decreasing the mitigations to suit the 'we just gotta get on with life  crowd' ?

Do they just get rid of masks, or do they get rid of pre boarding testing as well, not to mention isolation of people who become ill on board. There'd also be loads of people wandering around who are infected, coughing over everyone, but as no testing required, they'd be free to do this.   Ships will become an even bigger hotbed of infection and there would be people who would become very ill as a result of their cruise.

I definitely would not go on a cruise with no mitigations at all. I can't think of anything worse than being stuck on a ship with people who think 'living with it' means ignoring it and have no regard for their fellow passengers health.

Count me out of that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

I definitely would not go on a cruise with no mitigations at all

Your choice of course. 

Personally, I agree with pre-cruise testing: not perfect, but it helps a little.  Other than that,  do away with everything. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Mitigations are in place for the benefit of all of us not just a few people.

But,  far do they go in decreasing the mitigations to suit the 'we just gotta get on with life  crowd' ?

Do they just get rid of masks, or do they get rid of pre boarding testing as well, not to mention isolation of people who become ill on board. There'd also be loads of people wandering around who are infected, coughing over everyone, but as no testing required, they'd be free to do this.   Ships will become an even bigger hotbed of infection and there would be people who would become very ill as a result of their cruise.

I definitely would not go on a cruise with no mitigations at all. I can't think of anything worse than being stuck on a ship with people who think 'living with it' means ignoring it and have no regard for their fellow passengers health.

Count me out of that. 

Is that not the exact point that Billish was making, and the longer the mitigations continue the less likely it is that the cruise lines will become profitable. The end result of that is that cruise lines would collapse into insolvency, then no one would be able to enjoy a cruise holiday.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billish said:

Your choice of course. 

Personally, I agree with pre-cruise testing: not perfect, but it helps a little.  Other than that,  do away with everything. 

Heaven knows what state the current Aurora cruise would be in if you had your way 

• Like 2

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Is that not the exact point that Billish was making, and the longer the motivations continue the less likely it is that the cruise lines will become profitable. The end result of that is that cruise lines would collapse into insolvency, then no one would be able to enjoy a cruise holiday.

However, by removing mitigations, they risk alienating a different section of their passengers, which affects their profits and solvency 

As ever, they need to appeal to all.... 

• Thanks 1

No doubt time will tell, now that things are changing onboard. If the 'cautious' decide to stay away, and more places are taken by the 'get on with life' set, then it will be an interesting test of the new guidelines, provided any of data ever makes it to the outside world and is not hidden by cruise lines (as is often the case currently)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

However, by removing mitigations, they risk alienating a different section of their passengers, which affects their profits and solvency 

And that is the problem. So many views and no one is completely right or completely wrong. 🙄

By the way, welcome back Wowzz….

Edited by Angel57
Spelling
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

No doubt time will tell, now that things are changing onboard. If the 'cautious' decide to stay away, and more places are taken by the 'get on with life' set, then it will be an interesting test of the new guidelines, provided any of data ever makes it to the outside world and is not hidden by cruise lines (as is often the case currently)

As noted several times, you can still be cautious AND get on with life. It’s not either/or. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Not really, I would suggest that minimal mitigations would be much more likely to result in full ships, than retaining them at the current level.

1 hour ago, Billish said:

I wasn't going to comment on any of this today however as I'm seeing my situation entering into the discussion I have decided to add just one comment on the topic and this is going to be it.  The clinicians dealing with our cases (which are incidentally spread from Newcastle to Cornwall via all points in between) have indicated we have the new variant not straightforward Omicron which is why it has ripped through us like wildfire.  It has not discriminated taking down people of all ages from the baby to the groom's 88 year old grandfather, and including many of the groom's friends who are fit, athletic police.  I personally am a relatively healthy person who is in a weight loss programme monitored by my GP and a personal trainer.  That is my only excess risk.

The problem is simple, yes most people may not become seriously unwell however until the virus hits we as individuals do not know if we are going to be the one who is unlucky.  It is now totally indiscriminate and purely a matter of luck for the individual. If you had asked me 10 days ago whether I was worried about being on a ship I would have laughed. Now I'm not so sure:  if 30 or 40 people out of 75 are infected so easily in a venue where they are spread out between six rooms then the inside of an air conditioned ship isn't quite as appealing, particularly as at least 10 of those infected have been or are still quite seriously unwell.

I was quite certain I would not be in the ranks of those seriously ill, I was wrong by a mile.  If I had been onboard a ship in the state I've just found myself in I would have been at very serious risk of harm as the onset of blocked airways was sudden and unexpected.  

Ease the protocols onboard gradually, yes, but ensure your passengers are not gung ho, insist on some measures including testing and quarantine where required and make them aware it can change rapidly if required.

I've just opened my week's backlog of emails which include my Celebrity "covid contract" for my June cruise.  They seem pretty clear in their terms about what they want from passengers. Perhaps P&O should consider something like this then no one can complain.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1