Protocols Update soon

molecrochip

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Heaven knows what state the current Aurora cruise would be in if you had your way 

Of course, the Saga cruise that turned back halfway to the Caribbean when Covid infection rates reached a level of 20% , had draconian quarantine levels (b2b pax had to quarantine for 5 days), mask wearing everywhere, plus social distancing. 

OK, you could argue  that without these measures things could gave been even worse.

However, what it does show is that you will never totally eradicate Covid, and that if you are really concerned about covid, then cruising should be avoided for the immediate future.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

A lady on another forum posted that she tested positive on Iona last week, but was not off loaded in Alicante.

Does this mean that the EU rules have changed?

I don’t know but it would be a real step in the right direction if quarantine was on the ship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

A lady on another forum posted that she tested positive on Iona last week, but was not off loaded in Alicante.

I don't think they've changed, they just aren't being applied by the countries. I've seen other reports like this. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Someone was taken to hospital when we were in Cadiz last week but don't know if it was covid related.

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Someone was taken to hospital when we were in Cadiz last week but don't know if it was covid related.

I suppose if they were taken to a hospital rather than a quarantine hotel they must have had a medical need be that covid or otherwise.

How were things re the dreaded C, were you aware of many cases or quarantines onboard?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I suppose if they were taken to a hospital rather than a quarantine hotel they must have had a medical need be that covid or otherwise.

How were things re the dreaded C, were you aware of many cases or quarantines onboard?

We never heard about any covid cases onboard.

The passenger disembarked in Cadiz caused a slight delay to our departure and the captain said the person needed treatment they could not supply on board.

There was 3400 passengers when the capacity is 5200 passengers.

Deck 10,11,12 and 14 was closed off from the aft elevator to the middle elevator.

We were on deck 14 aft and had to go to deck 9 to find the launderette where Pauline ironed a few items.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I don't think they've changed, they just aren't being applied by the countries. I've seen other reports like this. 

Some of the hotels that were acting as quarantine hotels while there were few tourists around may have reverted back to their normal purpose. Why would you want to house people with a nasty virus if you can have standard customers.

Consequently there may be fewer quarantine rooms available and they might need to reserve them for people flying back to countries where a negative test is required to get home.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Deck 10,11,12 and 14 was closed off from the aft elevator to the middle elevator.

Was that both port and starboard sides?  We have 3 cabins booked next to each other in this zone on deck 10 in October.  So hope these disappear by then.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Was that both port and starboard sides?  We have 3 cabins booked next to each other in this zone on deck 10 in October.  So hope these disappear by then.

Yes both sides.

Hopefully this will change by October for you.

The fire doors I believe started around 10632-10470 port 10633-10463 starboard GA and GB grade

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

I know you were asking about Iona, but we are currently in isolation in Azura, I am  on C deck portside, husband in cabin below on D Deck. Can't do an exact count as people come outside at different times, but there's several couples,  and yesterday there were at least 5 crew that I could see. Our names were called as part of quite a long list following a routine test.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:07 PM, Billish said:

Totally disagree. Protocols are tight enough already - we need to get on with life !

I assume if you cruise with relaxed protocols and catch it and are quarantined in isolation cabin you will not be posting any comments critical of measures taken by P&O  or whatever  cruise line you are sailing with.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes both sides.

Hopefully this will change by October for you.

The fire doors I believe started around 10632-10470 port 10633-10463 starboard GA and GB grade

It gets worse, all our 3 are in that zone in October and we are supposed to be in the first cabin past the fire doors when we sail on her in May.  Not looking good.

edit;  just checked and I can still book cabins in this zone for May.  Hopefully changes are coming soon.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, Denarius said:

I agree with your final paragraph. I read recently in my daily paper that the risk of dying after contracting the Omicron variant of covid is no higher and probably lower than the risk of dying after contracting Winter flu. This was repeated by a senior doctor on a BBC tv covid update. Yet we still treat it as though it is the dread disease it was 2 years ago. We need to learn to live with it like we do with flu. Vacinate the vulnerable, take sensible precautions if you have got it, but otherwise get on with life - and cruising.

my two daughters both hospital consultants have been living with this virus daily since it  first appeared and it my youngest an emergency medicine consultant states that it shows little sign of abating and as Megabear stated or to quote Donald Rumsfeld "unknown unknowns" such as a new variant are still a possibility

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, sogne said:

my two daughters both hospital consultants have been living with this virus daily since it  first appeared and it my youngest an emergency medicine consultant states that it shows little sign of abating and as Megabear stated or to quote Donald Rumsfeld "unknown unknowns" such as a new variant are still a possibility

We need to take lessons from history. Look at the first “pandemic” the plague of Justinian, it just kept coming back over years in different waves, some mild some with massive mortality rates.

While medical science is better now there are indeed unknown unknowns.

Personally I’m trying to cautiously enjoy what I can while things are a little better and my vaccinations offer at least some protection. The alternative is locking myself away, perhaps for years until this goes completely.

You must be very proud of your daughters and the contribution they will have made to all of this.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

It gets worse, all our 3 are in that zone in October and we are supposed to be in the first cabin past the fire doors when we sail on her in May.  Not looking good.

edit;  just checked and I can still book cabins in this zone for May.  Hopefully changes are coming soon.

🤞Those mid ships balconies are in prime locations so I hope everything is okay for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruiserjules said:

I know you were asking about Iona, but we are currently in isolation in Azura, I am  on C deck portside, husband in cabin below on D Deck. Can't do an exact count as people come outside at different times, but there's several couples,  and yesterday there were at least 5 crew that I could see. Our names were called as part of quite a long list following a routine test.

I have got D703 booked which I know is a quarantine cabin at the moment. I am just going to sit tight as it’s ages away yet and hopefully quarantine cabins might be a thing of the past.

Hope you are coping ok in quarantine and that they are looking after you well. Take care

Michelle 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Iirc, in Spain the decision on where a Covid passenger should quarantine was down to the local authority where the port is located. Cadiz is in Andalusia whereas Alicante is Valencia. Could explain the difference - or maybe things have changed...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We need to take lessons from history. Look at the first “pandemic” the plague of Justinian, it just kept coming back over years in different waves, some mild some with massive mortality rates.

While medical science is better now there are indeed unknown unknowns.

Personally I’m trying to cautiously enjoy what I can while things are a little better and my vaccinations offer at least some protection. The alternative is locking myself away, perhaps for years until this goes completely.

You must be very proud of your daughters and the contribution they will have made to all of this.

Thank you  yes I am but when I visited my eldest for the first time last year my grandson said I looked younger than my daughter I have not locked myself away just being sensible have done 4 cruises since restart (all Cunard) but am doing Aurora for first time to Norway soon land of my father's if you accept the Welsh annalogy

• Like 2

Whilst I find Covid restrictions irksome, I can see why P&O feel they have to be cautious in relaxing them. In a cruise ship, you get more people packed closely together over a prolonged period than pretty much anywhere else. Also their passengers tend to be elderly, and hence more at risk of having a severe case of Covid if they do catch it. And should anyone get it badly enough to need hospitalisation, that can be a big problem if the ship is far from the nearest port.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Have you read the latest about the rise in stomach bugs.  Apparently caused by everyone social distancing and washing their hands too much.  That means your body's immune system isn't boosted by the bugs.  Also, Covid is really passed by air droplets not be touch on surfaces.  they have already said that.

What latest news, where?

Rise in incidence of stomach bugs is caused by the demise of social distancing and return to lax attitudes to hand washing etc.  Norovirus etc have mostly contact spreading. Don't ever eat anything free in a bar such as peanuts, crisps etc. They did a study years ago and found a lot of contamination including human excreta.

• Like 2