Advantages of a Maiden Voyage?

KKB

Looking at the Ascent Dec. 2023--it's less expensive than the Beyond this year (similar itinerary).

Curious what additions we might see to a Maiden Voyage.

30 minutes ago, KKB said:

Looking at the Ascent Dec. 2023--it's less expensive than the Beyond this year (similar itinerary).

Additions?  Likely none except extra supervisory staff trying to get things organized or working correctly.

2023 cruises likely to be a bit cheaper because the pent up demand from the last 2 years will be greatly reduced. 

I was watching a couple bloggers that were on the RCL Wonder of the Seas for its maiden voyage and they had wished that they had waited for a few cruises to get under their belt. Issues from the staff still finding their way, to shows not having all their props to the sprinkler system going on in the promenade. 

1 hour ago, t18c97 said:

I was watching a couple bloggers that were on the RCL Wonder of the Seas for its maiden voyage and they had wished that they had waited for a few cruises to get under their belt. Issues from the staff still finding their way, to shows not having all their props to the sprinkler system going on in the promenade. 

My friends go on Wonder this week, I told them that they are lucky that it wasn't the first one!

A restaurant critic that I followed here in L.A. always said to never go to a new restaurant until they've been open at least six months, or maybe it was a year. It takes that long to get all of the kinks out. I would apply that to a new cruise ship too. I would pass on a maiden voyage.

There are nearly always unfinished things and a few teething problems but it is very exciting seeing a brand new ship and most likely being one of the first to sleep in a cabin. 
you sometimes get given extra small gifts/mementos etc but really it is all about the atmosphere for me. 

• Like 1

Nothing. Except the likelihood that the sailing is being cancelled if the ship fitting runs behind schedule and possible service deficiencies as the crew will be new, even if they come from other X ships.

I'm following the BEYOND updates closely on Cpt. Kate's social media and considering how the ship looks I find it amazing to unbelievable that the maiden voyage is just around the corner.

13 hours ago, KKB said:

I think you’re likely to see  less than exemplary service because the crew is a new team working together. It’s like going to a restaurant on opening day or spring training in sports. There’s also a chance the cruise will be cancelled because the ship had unforeseen delays being built. 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I think you’re likely to see  less than exemplary service because the crew is a new team working together.

Guess it depends upon management.  We sailed a restart cruise whose staffing would have been equally new as a team, and the service was absolutely outstanding in all respects.

We were told, for example, that there had been a great deal of time spent feeding dining staff in other restaurants to 'tune up' the process.  It was fun for the crew, too, as they had an opportunity to experience and critique dining venues that they would otherwise never have had an opportunity to enjoy.

• Like 1

We recently returned from cruising on the Apex.  One of the BTs told me that he had the opportunity to transfer to the Beyond.   He said he turned it down because he opened up a few ships and said it was too much turmoil and hassle.  He said he was getting too old and smart to keep doing that.  He said it takes at least a month to get everything running smoothly and  things are constantly getting changed

i can relate because I worked in construction and the automotive industry. The first month after starting up is a nightmare.    Nothing is ever 100% and there are many changes required and everything is an emergency that needed to be corrected yesterday.  It is frustrating and hard to do if you don’t have the equipment or supplies. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have to agree that about the only advantage might be bragging rights.    Having said that I've seen in the past they sell a "Maiden Voyage" but they had 2 or 3 cruises prior for VIP, Press and Travel Professionals.    My question would then be --- What does a Maiden Voyage really mean. 

As others have said I've seen them cancelled due to technical issues.    Many also say there are lots of growing pains as the staff is trying to figure out how everything works and lots of shake down issues.

I was on an inaugural flight once and the crew were laughing at themselves trying to figure out how to do everything form the coffee pots to the PA System.     I do have to say it was a fun experience  and everything was BRAND NEW and not a blemish anywhere.

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

They usually take the best staff from other ships for a maiden,,,,they like to make a good impression on the first sailing,or preview sailing when it’s full of press and travel agents.

You are correct about the crew, they are the key. We have sailed on more than half a dozen Celebrity ship Inaugurals. There weren’t any problems and we enjoyed every one. 

• Like 2

I have never done a maiden voyage.  Probably never will either.  Of course I do not buy a new car in its very first model year either.  Let others work out the issues if there are any and put fixes in place for overlooked things.  Also I wait for actual reviews to be posted by paying customers before I buy anything.  For new ships that might be 6 months of sailings or more to get a balance of reviews.  In general the reviews from maiden voyages tend to be a bit sugar-coated here.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Of course I do not buy a new car in its very first model year either.  Let others work out the issues if there are any and put fixes in place for overlooked things.  Also I wait for actual reviews to be posted by paying customers before I buy anything. 

Pro-tip: Try to avoid getting admitted to a teach hospital in July, unless you want to be taken care of by a brand new intern, just out of medical school. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

What does a Maiden Voyage really mean.

I recall seeing it put as the "Inaugural Voyage" in places (a term you used later in your post about that flight).  Strictly speaking, a ship's "maiden voyage" is her first voyage after construction is complete and she's handed over to her new owners.