The Daily for Wednesday 03/23/2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I don't recall the last time I had melba toast; maybe I should pick some up on the next grocery run.  Mmmmm, chips and dip - we don't have them often, but do enjoy a good dip session.  Puppies are adorable, even to those of us who aren't dog people.

It's a beautiful day here on the "frozen tundra"; we're currently at 0 (32F), but the predicted high is 11C (51F) - that should help melt down the glaciers in our front and back yards.  I think it's time to get out the rain boots instead or our winter boots, otherwise there could be damage done to the leather.

We've been to Katakolon a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed our visits there; of course we took the obligatory photos of each of us running along the track.  LOL  I'd absolutely love to try today's wine selection, but WOW, the price!  That's definitely going to have to be put on the "when I win the lottery" list!

Not a lot on the agenda today - getting my nails done, then delivering a bag of chocolate treats for our friend who is in a long term care facility. We know they won't let us in, so the delivery will be made to their home and her DH will bring it to her.   Today's her birthday, but because she has an infection and is on medication, there's very little likelihood she will even know it's her special day.  But we still remember and that's what matters. 

Not a fan of today's menu suggestion, so will take a pass on it.  DH mentioned that we haven't had grilled cheese in ages, so guess what we'll be having tonight?  Looks like it'll be an old fashioned grilled cheese and tomato soup dinner on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all who are providing assistance.  Extra also for those in the paths of the storms and for our Daily-ite family who are having health issues.  We'll raise our glasses high to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, be well and get your boosters.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 35

38 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thank you for daily report!  Zaandam has been in shipyard awhile - I wonder what is being done?  

Hopefully the Zaandam is getting all spiffed up with maybe a Tamarind or Dutch Cafe! I will be on her this fall. Hey, a girl can dream…

• Like 22

22 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! We definitely know we are on a ship yesterday and today. High winds create swells. We will be arriving in Curaçao at 2:00 PM and depart at around 11:00 for to tomorrow’s port Aruba. Tonight we are doing a food tour in Curaçao.What we need is more food! All but two of our ship excursion have been cancelled due to “operational” issues. I think with the changing of some of the ports of call they didn’t have time to work with local tour agencies or the company’s were already booked with other ships.

Last night we had a lovely dining experience at Rudy’s. I’m skipping breakfast and lunch today just giving my body a digestive rest!

So far so good as there are no known Covid cases on board.

Lorraine and Alexandra our Neptune Concierge’s are spoiling us with their kindness and professional help.

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our contributors. Life is good here on the beautiful MS Rotterdam!

Lorraine and Alexandra were the concierge's when we were onboard in January.  Please say hello from The Finns.

• Like 18

Good morning!  I actually like me Melba toast. Chips and dips are my weakness and try to limit my indulgence to a few times a year.  Prayers to all on the list.  We are driving to see my elderly mother today who needs surgery. Unfortunately she needs to be transferred from one hospital to another for the procedure and there are no available beds.  We have been  waiting 2 days for a bed to open up.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  We love chips and dip.  Will pass on the Melba toast, too hard for the teeth.  And puppies....yes please.  The meal didn't sound good, but Debbie's recipes show otherwise  Will look into making that.

Carol, so happy you are getting some stress relief.  I hope the new aide works out great.

I'm so annoyed at myself this morning.  Yesterday was my brother's birthday and we always talk.  He is 3 hrs. behind us in Arizona and the time just got away from me.  I knew he wouldn't like the call at 6 am his time and then I just forgot!  Will call this morning, set an alarm for 11 am.

The price of the wine!!!! Yikes.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Please continue to stay safe.

Dram Sour:

Ingredients
1 1/4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
3/4 parts Licor 43® Liqueur
1/4 part Cinnamon Syrup
3/4 part Lemon Juice
1 dash Bitters
1/2 tsp Egg Whites, Powdered
Garnish Lemon Peel

Instructions
Add all ingredients except lemon peel into a shaker. Add ice. Shake vigorously. Strain over a coupe glass. Garnish with a lemon peel.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 8.52.43 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Today's sunrise is from my first Cunard voyage that was not a transatlantic.  It was a 2010 Queen Victoria World Cruise segment from Bangkok to Dubai. March 23 was my first sea day and we were between Ko Samui and Singapore. 

image.thumb.jpeg.74245ee81af523b88b9452dd99e2ead8.jpeg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I was to Katakolon on the Koningsdam premier, did the tour to Olympia. I remember there was an ongoing garbage strike and the roadway was piled with bags.

Have a vet appointment for Houdini this afternoon, follow up to see how the thyroid meds are doing. Jaguar is next week. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️🎉

• Like 27

49 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Hopefully the Zaandam is getting all spiffed up with maybe a Tamarind or Dutch Cafe! I will be on her this fall. Hey, a girl can dream…

Either one would be nice.  We sail on her in June so will report back if no one else does beforehand.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@ger_77 Your dinners always sound like the best comfort food to me.  If I was a neighbor I'd bring something, but show up every night.

My recent goal in cooking is trying to make something with a left over.  Those pork shoulder steaks that I bought the other day were fantastic, I baked them in the oven and added all sorts of "bitty" dribbles from BBQ sauces and then got to throw away a lot of empty bottles.  I also added the "bitty" bits of a sour cherry jam, and I think that was what really made it great.  There were two good size steaks, and one little one, that i am going to shred, and with the left over black beans, make a quesadilla to share for lunch today.  And that gets rid of the tortillas.  

DH has meetings all after noon, some by zoom, and one in person, so he is in charge of picking up dinner at chick fil A tonight, and tomorrow night I get to use up some frozen shrimp, the bitty dribbles of teriyaki sauce and some zucchini.  Ms. Frugal. that's my new name, LOL.

• Like 30

Good morning.   Just home from COVID shot #4 all Moderna.    It is a cold, wet day so a good day to take a nap if needed.  Past experience probably will mean a long nap today. 

I am not a fan of Melba toast.   We did become fans of the Swabian Rye bread on the Nieuw Statendam that was in the morning bread basket.  I found a recipe and bought the Rye flours and sunflower seeds to make it soon.   Looked at chips on my way out of Walgreen's this morning but decided to be good and not grab them.   I love puppies.   We raised 4 litters of Rottweilers in the early 80s,  fun but lots of work too.    I know as a Christian that death for sure will be my heavenly adventure.  I hope to have a few more on Earth before checking in.  I will pass on the entree, the bourbon drink looks good - I love cinammon, Champagne too rich for me and have never been to Greece.  

Prayers for all on Roy's care list, the fighters defending Ukraine and the people who are suffering from Putin's abuse.    

Some happy food memories from our NS cruise last month.    Thinking warm weather in the cold here in SW MI.   Beef Wellington and Chili Relleno and CO Pork Belly with pineapple.   The presentation of the food was the best ever on HA.    Served with our Blend wine.    

beef wellington 222.jpg

CAW porch dinner 222.jpg

• Like 35

We visited Katakolon (Olympia) in 2012 and about a dozen of us took a private tour. The Olympic site is very interesting to experience, but unfortunately - our guide was probably the worst guide we have ever encountered. He just went from plaque to plaque reading off whatever it said. Didn't seem to have any real historical knowledge of the site and whenever anyone queried him about something, he would just refer them back to the plaque.

Our guide in his normal position.😞o21.jpg.25b6e6ec15fe87c4d89b57e9ff7741b6.jpg

After a bit, most people wandered off to see the sights on their own.

o17.jpg.2dd471a336a88f4cb357d54eb650866d.jpg

o5.thumb.jpg.f037be669ac3898a13738987a93f8dc0.jpg

o14.jpg.47b290565b790a78a7fa6584ca647b77.jpg

o15.jpg.1b6a84c686b3e4be987c84afde63245d.jpg

o19.jpg.02fa1f6a39f94665dd4ce19f08d25e4f.jpg

o13.jpg.313b3b0db496fa131e60eee793c4a247.jpg

o20.jpg.7b3feeb7e0d998ab1963ba39f8ce0b22.jpg

o18.jpg.72d70cc32b81f219e512bf7a1310c4c5.jpg

Noticed several large group tours from the ship, hopefully they received a better tour!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Daily.  My favorite part is always the pictures and info about the ports.  The memes make me smile everyday.  I love to cook so I enjoy the recipes too.

Wanted to share a beautiful video in honor of the people of Ukraine: "In the streets of Kharkiv, Ukraine-2022 - Bach Cello Suite no 5 in C minor BWV 1011, Prelude"  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Good morning, all, and thanks to all for the Daily News.  Rich, @richwmn, evidently our April 3 Koningsdam has had some itinerary changes - someone posted on the roll call today 

552219335_ScreenShot2022-03-23at8_13_36AM.thumb.jpeg.1ac6f40e939e0d41a663cc0a782a7a4b.jpeg

We'll see what happens!

Yesterday was a busy day here, I had brought home  lot of stuff from our cubby at the rec centre for one of my stamp clubs, and one of my philatelic friends came over in the afternoon and we organized a "Spring Cleaning" auction (which will take place today).  That was after physio and a bunch of other errands in the morning.  So I was worn out - I did read the Daily, but didn't post.  I heard from Tony (sailingdutchy) this morning that they are having a good time with Fred and Mitzi (OverheadFred) but they were unhappy with the new pricing in Sel de Mer and they also had to pay full price in Nami Sushi - that one I didn't know.  

Eurodam in Katakolon in October

IMG_6512.thumb.jpg.426f839a5ed7de1b8ba6ee0fa80bc60e.jpg

Lovely picture of Miss Camilla - blue is definitely her colour!  @mamaofami, I do hope this new aide is all that you could ask for!   And I'm praying for good health for everyone having tests and doctor's appointments!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1