Arcadia Jottings

wowzz

5 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

The headliners story is particularly sad but as I don’t know if it is true I will not repeat it on here.

I'm intrigued - not heard this.

They were on great form during rehearsal a few days before restart. 

Edited by molecrochip

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

I had a similar shower experience on Oriana a few years ago and oddly, it was in a relatively new cabin where the children's facilities used to be. The deck supervisor seemed completely unconcerned that I couldn't use the shower because it would scald me - and there wasn't a bath in the cabin either. It took them several days to move me to another cabin and despite involving the on-board Customer Service Manager, all I got was a grudging apology and a bottle of wine...

But on the bright side Andrew, you wouldn't need your towels changing😃

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I'm intrigued - not heard this.

They were on great form during rehearsal a few days before restart. 

Are you connected with P&O? If so you may be able to confirm this. I was told by a crew member that when it was announced Arcadia was going out of service the headliners were told they would receive a months pay and would be leaving the company when we got into Southampton.That was because there were no jobs available for them on other ships. If true I find it very sad because they had gelled together well and gave outstanding performances. 

Stating the blindingly obvious here but P&O have added so many extra cabins in their fleet with Britannia,Iona & Arvia,did they/we ever expect them to attract such an increase in bookings to fill the new ships as well as the rest,to me it would have made more sense to announce what the new builds mean to the rest of the fleet when the new orders were announced.

As it is can anybody seriously be expected to book anything on the older vessels with much,if any,confidence that the sailing will happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Stating the blindingly obvious here but P&O have added so many extra cabins in their fleet with Britannia,Iona & Arvia,did they/we ever expect them to attract such an increase in bookings to fill the new ships as well as the rest,to me it would have made more sense to announce what the new builds mean to the rest of the fleet when the new orders were announced.

As it is can anybody seriously be expected to book anything on the older vessels with much,if any,confidence that the sailing will happen.

Never going to happen. If you want to sell a cruise ship at a good price,  you are never going to publicly admit it is for sale. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Are you connected with P&O? If so you may be able to confirm this. I was told by a crew member that when it was announced Arcadia was going out of service the headliners were told they would receive a months pay and would be leaving the company when we got into Southampton.That was because there were no jobs available for them on other ships. If true I find it very sad because they had gelled together well and gave outstanding performances. 

Given that Arcadia will be back in July,  it would seem short sighted to get rid of the troupe,  when a new team would then shortly have to be recruited and re-trained. Paying a retainer of some sort would have seemed a more logical coure of action.   

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Prior to Covid, cruising was the area of the travel industry enjoying the most growth so, yes, I honestly think that they could have filled them all, but the removal of the older ships would have obviously come into their thinking as well. 

How the world has changed though. Not only are large swathes of potential ‘new to cruising’ customers having second thoughts (if you aren’t an established cruise enthusiast, why would you subject yourself to so much uncertainty and hoops to jump through when all other types of holiday are now free of them?) but many established cruisers are also thinking that the joy of cruising isn’t what it was and, let’s face it, we have all been forced to discover other types of holiday, many of which we have enjoyed as much as, or more than, cruising. 

Add to all that the repetitive itineraries (Iona Fjord shuttle - clearly aimed at the ‘new to cruising’ market as an ideal first cruise), never ending capacity restrictions due to the need to maintain quarantine zones, the resultant ill will that is generating due to cancellations or unwelcome cabin moves, risks of cabin quarantine spoiling a holiday, ongoing testing requirements etc etc etc and there is absolutely no doubt that they now have a serious over capacity issue especially when Our Vera arrives. In all honesty, even the removal of the two smaller ships probably won’t address that issue fully. We know from this forum that many small ship cruisers aren’t interested in the resort style ships and will more likely switch to other operators. I fear it’s going to take at least 5 years to get back to filling all the ships all of the time which, if I recall correctly, industry experts predicted some time ago. 

• Like 15

It is a matter of opinion of course but personally even without Covid I have my doubts that P&O could have filled them all,the idea I had in mind would have been announcing which vessel/vessels would be leaving the fleet when the New builds entered service rather than try & sell cruises that people fear will not take place.

When I booked our cruise on Arcadia next year I noticed that there was a similar,shorter cruise on Iona leaving the same day,that gave an ominous message!

so as this site is called cruise critic so the negative opinions and speculation based on zero facts must be aired, I feel rather sorry if any new to cruising came on this site first they would get a very bad impression.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

I guess one point to make is that the larger ships don't have to sail full to make a profit, especially the two new ones which will be much cheaper to run. I know from previous threads that they only need something like 60% occupancy to make profits? Maybe someone else will recall better than me. Additionally, with the wider range of extra-charge venues, the money taken on board will be significantly higher.

The two older ships have a very loyal clientele and making an announcement in advance about their disposal would be a gamble. Some pax would say "I must go on her again then" whilst others will say "I might as well find a new cruise line to go with now then".

More apt to me is whether P&O continue to provide a more traditional cruise on the older ones or whether they try to give a consistent, more modern product across the fleet.

As someone not interested in larger ships, I'll continue to consider P&O's two older ships but tbh, they need to up their game with itineraries to keep my interest.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

so as this site is called cruise critic so the negative opinions and speculation based on zero facts must be aired, I feel rather sorry if any new to cruising came on this site first they would get a very bad impression.

Don’t worry, I’ve been part of the online cruising world for the best part of 20 years, and in spite of all the endless moaning there used to be about dress codes and smoking and everything else, it never seemed to genuinely put  anyone off of cruising. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I actually wish I’d found Cruise Critic earlier. It would have prevented me from running up silly charges on my mobile and saved me money by using a better credit card abroad. Not to mention the endless tips and ideas for enhancing my cruise experience. Looking at the big picture, it’s a very balanced site. Most posts are extremely well written which also helps. 

Glad you found the advice helpful but my opinion about the constant negativity is also valid

7 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Don’t worry, I’ve been part of the online cruising world for the best part of 20 years, and in spite of all the endless moaning there used to be about dress codes and smoking and everything else, it never seemed to genuinely put  anyone off of cruising. 

I doubt it would people off cruising, but I prefer a more balanced approach, the positives as well as the negatives, remember the clown incident, the lowering of standards debate, lack of cheese wheels etc etc etc, very few of us tried to give a balanced view but like I said in a earlier post this site is called cruise critic.

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

The fact that both positive and negative comments are made about P&O,  imho add to the usefulness of the forum. 

Unlike other social media,  where the slighest negative criticism leads to a cascade of vitriol ! 

You will find if you go through the threads the negative comments far outweigh the positives, but luckily you and the vast majority on here are happy with the balanced views that you believe you receive 

10 hours ago, Bazrat said:

23 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I doubt it would people off cruising, but I prefer a more balanced approach, the positives as well as the negatives, remember the clown incident, the lowering of standards debate, lack of cheese wheels etc etc etc, very few of us tried to give a balanced view but like I said in a earlier post this site is called cruise critic.

16 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

You will find if you go through the threads the negative comments far outweigh the positives, but luckily you and the vast majority on here are happy with the balanced views that you believe you receive 

I really am not trying to pick a quarrel with you Bazrat,  but your irate (or maybe it's irritating)  comments regarding any criticism of P&O do go a bit over the top, and don't help to sell your positivity about P&O.

Unfortunately most folk are more willing to go into print with a complaint, than to wax lyrical about an enjoyable experience, it's just human nature.

As for the clown incident and cheese wheel, I guess these have left an impression on you, but for me, and I guess many others, they leave me unmoved.  However if you were to consider some of the more relevant current criticisms, particularly P&Os very poor public relations track record over the last couple of years, then if you can find us some positives from these, we might be able to have a more constructive dialogue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

I guess one point to make is that the larger ships don't have to sail full to make a profit, especially the two new ones which will be much cheaper to run. I know from previous threads that they only need something like 60% occupancy to make profits? Maybe someone else will recall better than me. Additionally, with the wider range of extra-charge venues, the money taken on board will be significantly higher.

The two older ships have a very loyal clientele and making an announcement in advance about their disposal would be a gamble. Some pax would say "I must go on her again then" whilst others will say "I might as well find a new cruise line to go with now then".

More apt to me is whether P&O continue to provide a more traditional cruise on the older ones or whether they try to give a consistent, more modern product across the fleet.

As someone not interested in larger ships, I'll continue to consider P&O's two older ships but tbh, they need to up their game with itineraries to keep my interest.

Large ships 35-45% full. Smaller ships 65-75% full.

11 hours ago, snaefell said:

It is a matter of opinion of course but personally even without Covid I have my doubts that P&O could have filled them all,the idea I had in mind would have been announcing which vessel/vessels would be leaving the fleet when the New builds entered service rather than try & sell cruises that people fear will not take place.

When I booked our cruise on Arcadia next year I noticed that there was a similar,shorter cruise on Iona leaving the same day,that gave an ominous message!

I think it was always expected that Oceana would leave when Arvia joined. It’s a gradual increase over time.

With no further ship in order, Arvia’s extra cabins gave growing room for 3-5 years.

13 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

I can’t confirm that. Given how Covid is, I’d be surprised if that was the action taken. More likely they well act as standby crew in case someone gets I’ll, or until Arcadia returns. That said, take the money and run may have been offered as an option, but I don’t know.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Fortunately most of us on here  have had multiple cruises and can give our personal experiences which is important especially to new cruisers.

Graham.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Large ships 35-45% full. Smaller ships 65-75% full.

Without trying to prise secret financial situation out of you,  is that the break even figure for the actual cruise itself, (ie covering cruise operating costs) or the figure after overheads, interest,  depreciation etc have been taken into account ?

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I nade a few negative comments recently, so obviously I must be in your black book .

Personally, when reading reviews about cruises,  hotels,  restaurants etc on any web site, I always give more credence to those that give both positive and negative comments,  as I believe they have a more balanced opinion.

Nothing in life is totally perfect,  but you seem to imply that P&O have reached that pinnacle! 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Can someone,  anyone, please tell me for once and for all and to calm Bazrat down what on earth a cheese wheel is and will it go away if I know.....

A guess, I think the fabled Port Stilton was/is round and is/isn’t currently available.  So maybe that?

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Can someone,  anyone, please tell me for once and for all and to calm Bazrat down what on earth a cheese wheel is and will it go away if I know.....

Did it have something to do with cubes of cheese, bits of pineapple, cocktail sticks, black forest gateau and a clown, perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8