Question about lost ID and boarding ship?

10 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Great news!   He was able to use a pic of his DL that was expired!  He was on by 11:20!!  Barely a delay at all.  The person just asked her supervisor if it was ok and they were good with it!   No extra paperwork or anything!

Holy moly.  Mark me amazed.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Great news!   He was able to use a pic of his DL that was expired!  

I'm glad that he was able to board. But I'm a little confused. You said his passport was expired and wallet with DL was lost. (not expired) What did he show them a photo of? :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Outstanding service from RCI in a difficult situation. 

11 minutes ago, Coralc said:

You said his passport was expired and wallet with DL was lost. (not expired) What did he show them a photo of? :classic_smile:

Earlier I though the oP said he had a photo of his DL on his phone.  

I do the same - photos of my passport face page, drivers license and work ID. 

30 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Great news!   He was able to use a pic of his DL that was expired!  He was on by 11:20!!  Barely a delay at all.  The person just asked her supervisor if it was ok and they were good with it!   No extra paperwork or anything!

Thanks for the update! I’m somewhat surprised, but happy for your friend that he was able to board. If he’s planning to disembark at any of your port stops be sure to check before he does that the photo of his license will be sufficient to get him back onboard the ship. That may not always be Royal Caribbean’s decision. I have personally seen people denied boarding in Nassau because they left their ID onboard the ship, only had their sea pass card. They had to have another member of their travel party go to their cabin, get their ID and bring it out to the entrance to the port area before they were allowed to enter. 

This is exactly why I have a leather zip holder that has a leather strap in order to wear it around my neck..

It's really not that much of a bother and I know I always have my stuff..

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Holy moly.  Mark me amazed.

Have a great cruise!

Yes.  We are dead shocked as to how little was needed.  To be honest, our party was a little “disappointed” there wasnt more of a production.  Lol.  Didn’t need to do anything extra other than the person asking if the birth certificate and pic of an EXPIRED DL was enough.  They said ok, and then went through security.  No signing papers saying I attest to being this person or anything.  TBH kinda makes me a little antsy knowing how little is needed to prove who you are to board a ship, but we are all happy either way. 

We have been asking around if he can get off in Costa Maya the only stop we have.  I have seen people get denied wothout govt ID before (myself included) and having to send a crewmember to get our passports out of the safe in our room before so I know that pain all to well.

Needless to say, I am now taking pics of all my documents before traveling.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, rimmit said:

So his license was expired too!   Happy to hear they let him board but  surprised they let him board with photos of expired docs.

Have fun!

And wish him luck flying back home and getting his wallet back.

• Like 2

We were instructed to take our sea pass cards, vax cards & photo ID when getting off in St Maarten and St Thomas but at neither port did we need anything besides the sea pass card to enter the port area & reboard.  YMMV

• Like 2

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

So his license was expired too!   Happy to hear they let him board but  surprised they let him board with photos of expired docs.

Have fun!

And wish him luck flying back home and getting his wallet back.

Yes,  the pic if his license was an old one. Mot the new one he lost?!?

Also, for anyone wondering,  the kids club is back to full capacity.  No restrictions on activities.  Normal capacity limits which is 75 for the 6-12 yo group.  Still no kids dinner

Boat has about 4000 so like 70ish percent full.  800 kids down from 1000 last sailing.  Virtually no masks excelt crew.  Feels like a normal cruise except the crew in mask otherwise operating regularly.

if anyone has any questions dont hesitate to ask and if I have time will see if I can get an answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Download it where? To do? Cruises have only ever asked for my passport number and expiration date. 

If you check in with the app you gave the option to upload a picture of your passport. No need to enter the info manually. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flamingos said:

The ship connects your passport with the photo you have taken to board the ship. When you debark, they simply take your photo again and it matches to the manifest from the ship and they send you on your way. There are plenty of CBP agents there in case they either alert to you for some reason, or see something as you are walking out that they would like to inspect, but I haven't heard of that happening to anyone.  I suppose it happens.

Actually CBP connects the passport number to THEIR photo in the system.  From your passport application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SRF said:

Now for the fun part.

OP said the FLEW in.   He may not be able to FLY home with a picture of an expired DL.

He has TSA pre check, so we’ll see if that helps.  People lose their ids completely in Vegas and all over the US all the time.  We werent nearly as concerned about that as we were with him getting on the boat and could still get denied but less likely given historical anecdotes of people who have had the same issue.  It is more of a production at the airport though from what I have heard.

15 minutes ago, rimmit said:

He has TSA pre check, so we’ll see if that helps.  People lose their ids completely in Vegas and all over the US all the time.  We werent nearly as concerned about that as we were with him getting on the boat and could still get denied but less likely given historical anecdotes of people who have had the same issue.  It is more of a production at the airport though from what I have heard.

Maybe it will be less of a problem for a domestic flight than it might be for an international one.

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe it will be less of a problem for a domestic flight than it might be for an international one.

If it was international we’d be at the Embassy by now.  Lol.  

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, rimmit said:

He has TSA pre check, so we’ll see if that helps. 

Does TSA pre-check have a separate ID card they give you? I know Global Access does which is how I got my TSA pre-check.

51 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Needless to say, I am now taking pics of all my documents before traveling.

I keep a secured copy of my DL, Passport and other documents in the app LastPass. Its encrypted and has dual authentication. That way if I loose my phone, you can't access it from the photos app and steal my personal information.

57 minutes ago, SRF said:

Actually CBP connects the passport number to THEIR photo in the system.  From your passport application.

Exactly. All the conjectures above about how the cruise line scans your passport, or takes a picture and gives it to CBD, etc. are bizarre. CBD already has your picture taken to passport standards and has a copy of your passport. The cruise lines have no reason to be involved with the facial recognition.

1 minute ago, publicpersona said:

Exactly. All the conjectures above about how the cruise line scans your passport, or takes a picture and gives it to CBD, etc. are bizarre. CBD already has your picture taken to passport standards and has a copy of your passport. The cruise lines have no reason to be involved with the facial recognition.

Yeap.

If you notice when you actually interact with a CBP officer, they swipe your passport, then hold it up and look at you, look at the passport photo, and look at their monitor.  If all three do not match, you will be spending some time in a small room. 😄

This is also why stealing a passport is not a priority for pick pockets any more.

• Like 1

Boy…glad that worked out.  Happy for all involved and more than a little surprised it did.

Just curious, I’ve traveled a lot for both leisure and work.  I’ve always needed a recent (non expired) pic ID of some sort to show when boarding a plane.  OP, did I miss it, or did the airlines not require to show a “non-expired” picture ID when boarding?

I’ve always used my DL.  But, I also have a passport card I keep in my wallet. Over an abundance of caution, I also have my Passport and a pic of my passport readily available when I cruise.

3 hours ago, trey420 said:

Note to self: take pics of all documents needed for boarding. 

also, all pictures and documents should be in your App when you checked in.  In addition, I made  a picture album o my phone of all necessary paperwork needed, just in case , so everything is in one place.

Edited by Missymo
  • Like 2