Self serve back at Windjammer

35 minutes ago, tuxieloaf said:

Would have thought they would save money because more people would be shameful asking for more food, leading to less waste and then a lower food quantity needed. I guess not - bummer.

I will guess you have never seen them clean out the buffet trays at the end of breakfast, lunch or dinner.  They just dump tray after tray into trash bins.  Royal states they dump 30% of all food as waste. Before covid when sailing full Royal dumps 44 million pounds of total trash a year. Food waste is over 20% of total.  Crew uses commercial grinders to turn solid food waste to liquid and then unload at port. This is a grinder on Symphony of the seas and each galley has a grinder. Food waste by individual guests each day is a minimal amount.

image.thumb.png.664a1640f81e36188835dd98c9bb0e6c.png

39 minutes ago, tuxieloaf said:

Would have thought they would save money because more people would be shameful asking for more food, leading to less waste and then a lower food quantity needed. I guess not - bummer.

No shame here - I'd gladly ask for 8 slice of the crispiest bacon!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, zeroed said:

On the Allure presently and there are quite a few kids ignoring those Washy stations. It’s not the adults who concern me, it’s Lil Timmy Touch Everything’s grubby hands  wrapped around spoons right after picking and scratching…stuff. 

You should be more worried about your average restaurant kitchen....

• Like 1

If you really want to see some wierd stuff they need to install a chocolate fountain like Golden Corral. LOL

t

• Haha 1

A big opportunity was missed, RCl and other cruiselines had enough time to think of new concepts that would not require more staff than before, however reduce food waste and the risk of spreading viruses. Nothing  was done and we are back to where we were before and just a matter of time before we have the next noro outbreak etc.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 7:33 PM, jcc1025 said:

They have to measure that with the amount of food loss they get when people serve themselves. I am sure they have worked up those calculations and I don't think they take on extra crew to serve food, just flex crew from other locations to cover the period of time the Windjammer is open. 

The last report I saw was that they spend around $14pp per day on food.  That is food for the entire ship.  

They most likely throw out more food that is still sitting in the warming plates at changeover than is thrown out by guests taking too much.

Staffing the WJ costs more than any potential savings.  As far as flexing people in, it's not like crew were sitting idle before.  Moving them in just cuts service from other areas that were understaffed before and making yjr crew eork even harder trying to compensate.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LXA350 said:

A big opportunity was missed, RCl and other cruiselines had enough time to think of new concepts that would not require more staff than before, however reduce food waste and the risk of spreading viruses. Nothing  was done and we are back to where we were before and just a matter of time before we have the next noro outbreak etc.

The pandemic drove companies such as RCL to focus on old, basic concepts....i.e. survival.   'Matter of time' possibilities (such as the 'next' noro outbreak) were most likely grouped with concerns such as when to change the décor in the crew lounge.

Edited by bucfan2

On 4/8/2022 at 2:32 PM, taglovestocruise said:

I will guess you have never seen them clean out the buffet trays at the end of breakfast, lunch or dinner.  They just dump tray after tray into trash bins.  Royal states they dump 30% of all food as waste. Before covid when sailing full Royal dumps 44 million pounds of total trash a year. Food waste is over 20% of total.  Crew uses commercial grinders to turn solid food waste to liquid and then unload at port. This is a grinder on Symphony of the seas and each galley has a grinder. Food waste by individual guests each day is a minimal amount.

image.thumb.png.664a1640f81e36188835dd98c9bb0e6c.png

Most of the food waste is pulverized and ejected at sea as fish food.  There are regulations when and where this can be done; certain distances from shore lines and such

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As far as flexing people in, it's not like crew were sitting idle before.  Moving them in just cuts service from other areas that were understaffed 

Probably the reason the Solarium  Bistro has been closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

We were self serve

Wonder if that means some crew and or passengers came down positive with Covid on the cruise you just got off of for the change back to the crew now serving passengers in Windjammer again?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wonder if that means some crew and or passengers came down positive with Covid on the cruise you just got off on for the change back to the crew now serving passengers in Windjammer again?

Or maybe there was some Noro aboard. Cruises usually begin this way when the virus was on the previous sailing.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Or maybe there was some Noro aboard. Cruises usually begin this way when the virus was on the previous sailing.

Since the restart, have not even heard the word Noro mentioned by any cruise line.

LOTS started self-serve starting this last week on the cruise beginning April 3rd. We were at 70% and it was great to have the ability to serve ourselves - much faster.

We did appear to have 1 quarantined cabin on the 10th floor across the hall from us. We were returning to our cabin on the 5th night and saw two staff entering with hazmat suits on and cleaning supplies. I believe the family had been moved (they were in a grand suite) to the quarantine cabins wherever they are. 

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They most likely throw out more food that is still sitting in the warming plates at changeover than is thrown out by guests taking too much.

Changeover is a point in time. ALL food has a limited hold time. That's in the buffet as well as main dining rooms (they don't cook your MDR food to order, it is cooked in bulk). Once that hold time is exceeded, it is put in the grinder and released into the sea as fish food. 

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wonder if that means some crew and or passengers came down positive with Covid on the cruise you just got off of for the change back to the crew now serving passengers in Windjammer again?

No idea, but go ahead and think what you want.🙃