What's with Bermuda?

We have a cruise booked on Adventure of the Seas on May 12th. Got a notice from RCL that because we stop at Bermuda for our 1st stop, we have to pay $40 each for a Travel Authorization for Bermuda, even if we're not getting off the ship. If we don't pay for that, we can't take the cruise. That on top of the $200 we have to pay for an Antigen test. What gives?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, billdadm said:

We have a cruise booked on Adventure of the Seas on May 12th. Got a notice from RCL that because we stop at Bermuda for our 1st stop, we have to pay $40 each for a Travel Authorization for Bermuda, even if we're not getting off the ship. If we don't pay for that, we can't take the cruise. That on top of the $200 we have to pay for an Antigen test. What gives?

Bermuda's entry requirements, not RCL's:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/additional-requirements-to-cruise-to-bermuda

Why $200 for a test that CVS does for free?

Edited by orville99
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Bermuda's entry requirements regardless of mode of transportation.

Why $200 for a test that CVS does for free?

Is this a fee Bermuda has always charged?  If so, RCI should have included it in the cruise fare as taxes and port fees.  

As for testing, around here, our testing centers charge unless you present with symptoms, so testing due to travel or even required by an employer due to coming in contact with an infected coworker is paid out of pocket.  Of course the way around that is to claim symptoms.  Loss of smell and taste are probably the easiest to fake.

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

this a fee Bermuda has always charged?  If so, RCI should have included it in the cruise fare as taxes and port fees. 

The requirement has nothing to do with the cruise line, and the fee is paid directly to the Bermuda government by you, and RCL is not involved in any way with the process. 

We're on a July cruise to Bermuda, thanks for mentioning these requirements. Paying the $80 extra for the two of us for the "Bermuda Travel Auth" is just another cash making excuse, courtesy of Bermuda.

Far as the COVID test goes - at least for those on the May 28th cruise, it appears RCL is providing those tests free to passengers. I hope this prompts the OP to call RCL and find out about their own cruise, I hope it is free for them too:

Additional Testing: May 28th Mariner of the Seas Sailing

Guests on the May 28th sailing from Port Canaveral on Mariner of the Seas, will require additional testing to go ashore per the Bermudian government. All guests age 2 and up, regardless of vaccination status, will take a complimentary test onboard 48 hours before arriving in Bermuda. Details on how to register for this test will be provided onboard.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, billdadm said:

We have a May 28th sailing which includes Bermuda and according to Bermuda's entry requirements and since we're not arriving until the 5th day of the cruise, in addition to the $40 per person authorization all arriving ship passengers for our sailing will require a separate Covid test to enter Bermuda. I've learned from their website that Royal will be administering the tests onboard for everyone within two days of our arrival to Bermuda and the tests will be complimentary. Of course we still have to have the original test to even board the vessel on the 28th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HOBE SOUND CRUISER said:

Just think, If the Mariner sails half full Bermuda gets $80,000.

It's daylight robbery. We'll just go ashore for a couple of beers and avert buying trinkets.

39 minutes ago, johnjen said:

We're on a July cruise to Bermuda, thanks for mentioning these requirements. Paying the $80 extra for the two of us for the "Bermuda Travel Auth" is just another cash making excuse, courtesy of Bermuda.

Far as the COVID test goes - at least for those on the May 28th cruise, it appears RCL is providing those tests free to passengers. I hope this prompts the OP to call RCL and find out about their own cruise, I hope it is free for them too:

Additional Testing: May 28th Mariner of the Seas Sailing

Guests on the May 28th sailing from Port Canaveral on Mariner of the Seas, will require additional testing to go ashore per the Bermudian government. All guests age 2 and up, regardless of vaccination status, will take a complimentary test onboard 48 hours before arriving in Bermuda. Details on how to register for this test will be provided onboard.

It is only free on that cruise because the Bermuda stop is day 5 which makes it impossible for people to test within the required time limit. For the May 12 sailing Bermuda is day 2 so you have to test before boarding. 
I am also on the May 12 sailing and had planned to stay onboard to avoid the hassle, but it seems you need it whether getting off the ship or not. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

As for testing, around here, our testing centers charge unless you present with symptoms, so testing due to travel or even required by an employer due to coming in contact with an infected

Get the rapid antigen tests directly from RCL. It costs $60 for two proctored at home Abbott antigen tests. We order ours~two weeks prior to sail date and do the tests two days before boarding.

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Get the rapid antigen tests directly from RCL. It costs $60 for two proctored at home Abbott antigen tests. We order ours~two weeks prior to sail date and do the tests two days before boarding.

We do this.

1 hour ago, billdadm said:

If it makes you feel any better.    The fee was $75 last year and Bermuda recently reduced to $40 pp.    There are still several countries with this requirement.    Barbados is one of them.     

why pay $200 for a antigen test.     either get a free one at Walgreens or CVS or order the $35 proctored test kits from Optum or Emed.

18 minutes ago, orville99 said:

FYI - Royal is NOT selling the test kits nor are they partnered or have anything to do with emed or optum.    Their website simply refers you to emed or optum to purchase test kits.    Anyone can buy these kits, not just cruisers.       

Yes, they are a great option I have 3 kits left to use on our next cruise.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

It is only free on that cruise because the Bermuda stop is day 5 which makes it impossible for people to test within the required time limit. For the May 12 sailing Bermuda is day 2 so you have to test before boarding. 
I am also on the May 12 sailing and had planned to stay onboard to avoid the hassle, but it seems you need it whether getting off the ship or not

Yup, still need to sign up for travel authorization whether you get off the ship or not.   

I was booked for May 19th sailing on enchantment but just moved the cruise to beginning of September due to other travel conflicts.    I am hoping by September the authorization form will no longer be needed.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

I am also on the May 12 sailing and had planned to stay onboard to avoid the hassle, but it seems you need it whether getting off the ship or not. 

As soon as saw the email the other week with Bermuda protocols we said to ourselves I bet royal will change the itineraries to avoid having to test everyone on board.     Wouldn't be surprised if those sailings on Mariner to Bermuda switch for arrival on day 2 or day 3 instead of day 5.

44 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

But everyone has to test before getting onboard so those where Bermuda is the first stop only have to take that one test

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

As soon as saw the email the other week with Bermuda protocols we said to ourselves I bet royal will change the itineraries to avoid having to test everyone on board.     Wouldn't be surprised if those sailings on Mariner to Bermuda switch for arrival on day 2 or day 3 instead of day 5.

I hope you are right  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

The requirement has nothing to do with the cruise line, and the fee is paid directly to the Bermuda government by you, and RCL is not involved in any way with the process. 

But the OP implies that he would be prevented from getting on the boat on embarkation day if the fees are not paid.  That makes it sound like RCL is involved in the process.  No?

2 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

But the OP implies that he would be prevented from getting on the boat on embarkation day if the fees are not paid.  That makes it sound like RCL is involved in the process.  No?

It sounds to me as if Bermuda won't allow a ship in its waters unless each pax has paid the fee.  Having each pax pay Bermuda directly, and then RCI having to verify that and take a chance that one did not, thus keeping the entire ship form docking would not be feasible.  I see this just the the usual taxes and port fees - the passengers pay RCI, and RCI pays the governments.

• Like 1