April 11th: Ruby Embarkation, OMG! The longest lines We Have EVER Seen!

LACruiser88

We are on the Majestic Princess and are in San Francisco today, alongside the Ruby Princess.

We walked off the ship this morning at 10:30 for a walk towards Fisherman's Wharf.  We walked past the embarkation terminal for the Ruby Princess.

OMG!  The line for embarking passengers reached all the way to Pier 39!  A distance of at least 300 yards.  In all of our years of cruising, we have never seen such a line.

We had lunch on the wharf and on our return walk back at 2:00, the line was even longer.  It cleared up today  but it is windy and chilly.  And all of these poor folks are standing in this long line with their carry-on luggage.

We will NEVER embark on a cruise ship in San Francisco!

20220411_133133.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We are on the Majestic Princess and are in San Francisco today, alongside the Ruby Princess.

We walked off the ship this morning at 10:30 for a walk towards Fisherman's Wharf.  We walked past the embarkation terminal for the Ruby Princess.

OMG!  The line for embarking passengers reached all the way to Pier 39!  A distance of at least 300 yards.  In all of our years of cruising, we have never seen such a line.

We had lunch on the wharf and on our return walk back at 2:00, the line was even longer.  It cleared up today  but it is windy and chilly.  And all of these poor folks are standing in this long line with their carry-on luggage.

We will NEVER embark on a cruise ship in San Francisco!

20220411_133133.jpg

Reminds me of the one cruise I took out of SF 30 years ago on the original Regal.  Literally stood in line the whole day, and into dinner.  They had open seating that night as people were still embarking after 5 hours.  Got blisters on my toes so bad, that lasted the entire cruise.  I agree with you, never again!  But then for me, that was pre-computer, when everyone had to fill out their forms by hand and had them reviewed and corrected at the check in desks.

• Like 1

Is there something going on with the Ruby to cause these lines (like brouhaha from 15 days ago again)? 

Glad I didn't head up the coast and run into that mess; I swung the other way to pick up snacks for the crew from Chinatown. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Are you at 27 and Ruby at 33?

We are at Pier 27.  Which is a really nice terminal.  The Ruby should have used this terminal for embarkation. I don't know if it's because the Majestic is too big for Pier 35???

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Thanks 1

We've sailed out of San Francisco close to a dozen times although the last one was 3 years ago.  Originally out of pier 35 and once pfier 27 opened up that was where we embarked.  Once when we boarded a couple of weeks after 9/11 the line was like what has been posted above.  All other times the lines were very short.  We typically always arrived right around noon, give or take 30 minutes.  I definitely feel sorry for those standing outside for hours.

We boarded Ruby at around 12:30, dropped off our luggage and were enjoying our lunch at around 1.  This said, we had an 11 o'clock check in time, so this was an hour or more late.  I am sure that this delay caused further delays down the line.  The delay was caused by passengers that didn't disembark in time. The officer said there were a dozen pieces of unclaimed luggage and they had to find the people who belonged to it before letting us on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

With the medallion it should not take long to find any passengers trying to delay their departure.  At some point any crew that see guest after last call has been made should either question them or report them to appropriate staff. 

There was a post earlier this morning of someone trying to disembark the Ruby. There was a long delay getting off the ship thus there is going to be a delay getting folks on.

That same poster said there was a lot of coughing from passengers trying to get off the ship.

I'll see if I can find the post and paste the link

Here it is (on page 20 of the thread Blogging from the Ruby):

I am on Ruby now. They are very late disembarking. I am in Michelangelo. So many people coughing. Lots of people without masks. I just don’t understand why they are not wearing a masks around all these people. Self serve buffet is ridiculous given the number of Covid cases on the cruise right before this one. They should have had a mask mandate at least the first few days of the cruise.  I had a 10:20 disembark time. It’s 11 now. I am listening to so many people complaining about the cruise. Princess did not live up to its usual high standards. As an Elite member, I have had many cruises with Princess. This was very disappointing. 

Edited by AZjohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, travlin said:

I am on Ruby now. They are very late disembarking. I am in Michelangelo. So many people coughing. Lots of people without masks. I just don’t understand why they are not wearing a masks around all these people. Self serve buffet is ridiculous given the number of Covid cases on the cruise right before this one. They should have had a mask mandate at least the first few days of the cruise.  I had a 10:20 disembark time. It’s 11 now. I am listening to so many people complaining about the cruise. Princess did not live up to its usual high standards. As an Elite member, I have had many cruises with Princess. This was very disappointing. 

Something unusual, sorry we have not heard from someone boarding.  This is my home port have boarded ships at least a dozen times.  Only once did I experience something like this.  Happened when ship came in late because of a medical emergency on board and ship returned to Hawaii to get passenger medical attention.  That time Princess told folks not to come to the port till later.  We were in line 5 hours.  Once out of 12 trips.   It would be nice to know what the cause was today. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cvpends said:

We boarded Ruby at around 12:30, dropped off our luggage and were enjoying our lunch at around 1.  This said, we had an 11 o'clock check in time, so this was an hour or more late.  I am sure that this delay caused further delays down the line.  The delay was caused by passengers that didn't disembark in time. The officer said there were a dozen pieces of unclaimed luggage and they had to find the people who belonged to it before letting us on the ship.

I have a check-in time of 11AM in a couple of weeks.  Can you tell me what time you got to the pier?

6 hours ago, travellingnana said:

I have a check-in time of 11AM in a couple of weeks.  Can you tell me what time you got to the pier?

Bad traffic on Bay Bridge, so 11:15.  I recommend earlier 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pris993 said:

Something unusual, sorry we have not heard from someone boarding.  This is my home port have boarded ships at least a dozen times.  Only once did I experience something like this.  Happened when ship came in late because of a medical emergency on board and ship returned to Hawaii to get passenger medical attention.  That time Princess told folks not to come to the port till later.  We were in line 5 hours.  Once out of 12 trips.   It would be nice to know what the cause was today. 

I did say, up above in post 16, what they told us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1