What's the most amount of dishes you have ordered at MDR?

zhuangcorp

I always do full courses.  I love that HAL serves smaller portions.  I get soup, salad, at least one appetizer, sometimes two. I only get a second entree if the first was not to my liking.   Sometimes the waiter will even suggest I try another entree.  Then I usually share a dessert with DH, that is our personal preference. They are very accommodating 

• Like 1

For dinner usually an appetizer, soup, salad and a main entree followed by dessert.

We never pig out, just 3 square meals a day with no snacks between meals. We usually only gain a pound each for a one week cruise.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

There was one time I saw three main course dishes that interested me. I mentioned to the server that it would be nice if I could get a sampler of the three items with smaller portions. He said, "Not to worry" and then when the main course was served, I was brought three full portions. The server said the chef didn't want to compromise the presentation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I'm not even liking the premise of this thread, which assumes/encourages gluttony; which I find distasteful.

Having been raised in the fine restaurants of New Orleans I enjoy a 5 course meal.  If one were eating typical American sized meals I see your point but HAL has made a classic dining experience available without gluttony.  It is often overlooked as one of the points of the classism of HAL’s ambience.  And remember you can always order half portions

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Having been raised in the fine restaurants of New Orleans I enjoy a 5 course meal.  If one were eating typical American sized meals I see your point but HAL has made a classic dining experience available without gluttony.  It is often overlooked as one of the points of the classism of HAL’s ambience.  

Having been raised in and live in San Diego, I also enjoy a good 5 course meal. I disagree that gluttony is not a part of the HAL, or any other cruise line experience. More often than not, it's a matter of how much/many foods we can order without passing out, and not not a part of the 'classic HAL ambiance'.

• Haha 1

One soup, one appetizer, one salad, one entree, and one dessert:  my standard order--if I think I can consume all that I order.  If not, one or more of the courses will not be ordered.  I do not like to waste food.

If there is another entree that I would like to try as well, my Steward will serve me a small portion of that entree.  (Or, at least they did.  Anymore, I am presented with an entire dinner plate of the item.  Because of that, I rarely ask for a "sample" knowing what the "sample" is likely to be.)  

28 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Having been raised in and live in San Diego, I also enjoy a good 5 course meal. I disagree that gluttony is not a part of the HAL, or any other cruise line experience. More often than not, it's a matter of how much/many foods we can order without passing out, and not not a part of the 'classic HAL ambiance'.

It depends on how you approach it.  I do not think the thread automatically indicates gluttony. This poster has had a variety of questions about HAL and I really think he means to understand the etiquette and procedures not how much he can possibly eat in a 1 hour sit down.  

I choose to ignore the dining habits of others and am only speaking from my own experience  as to classic dining.  I have been on lines where eating a five course meal is an overwhelming amount of calories. 

Edited by Mary229

As menus are usually organized, the appetizers, soups, and salads are all in the same category and there is nothing wrong with ordering all of them. I usually don't -- sometimes I have ordered two but not three.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

This poster has had a variety of questions about HAL and I really think he means to understand the etiquette and procedures

I think you are right.

The only issue I see with ordering more than one of each course is that it lengthens the meal. Depending on the standard of service, sometimes additional items of a course won't be served until the first ones are eaten and cleared. If I order both soup and salad, I usually ask that they be served together. In any case, passengers who need to finish dinner by a certain time should advise their server.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I'm not even liking the premise of this thread, which assumes/encourages gluttony; which I find distasteful.

You can easily skip by 🙄.  You remind me of an aunt of mine.  Always talking about how people are gluttons and how much they eat.  My mom and dad were over at my aunts and there is a mirror so my dad can see directly into the kitchen without being near it.  There was my aunt just shovelling ham into her mouth as fast as she she cuts it up.  Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Didn't exactly have gluttony in mind, but was more curious about the memorable dining experiences of other guests. So I imagined maybe on one particular night, you maybe were fascinated by a variety of dishes and decided to try them all. At the same time, some people probably do have naturally large appetites. 

But the tip about asking for a half-size dish to try a greater variety of dishes is a great idea. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Didn't exactly have gluttony in mind, but was more curious about the memorable dining experiences of other guests. So I imagined maybe on one particular night, you maybe were fascinated by a variety of dishes and decided to try them all. At the same time, some people probably do have naturally large appetites. 

But the tip about asking for a half-size dish to try a greater variety of dishes is a great idea. 

Hal portions are quite small.  You wouldn’t need a large appetite really.  From what I’ve read on here some people do tend to fill up on pizza and burgers during the day.  If I did that I’d probably have a salad or one course at dinner because I can easily pack on weight despite a lot of walking and going to the gym.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

It is wise to first consider the dietary needs of others (e.g. OMAD people, those with increased muscle mass requiring extra calories) before condemning them as gluttonous.

• Like 2

Love the 5 course meals.....perfect sized portions so I do not miss a thing....always get one from the following......

Appetizer

Soup

Salad

Entree

Dessert

'rinse and repeat every night in the MDR'. Love the food on HAL.

• Like 3

We just have normal dinners on HAL, which is to say not too much.  One of the funniest things I saw lately was a very well dressed lady at the table next to us eat a whole bread basket and request another.  All while she was drinking a beer out of the can.  And she was not overweight at all.  This just caught my eye.  

My first HAL cruise ever, twenty-five years ago, I wanted to have roast beef, but also asked if I could try the goose. I just wanted a small bite to try it. Wasn't I surprised when the server brought out an entire meal of goose and all the trimmings AFTER my roast beef meal was finished. I haven't asked for anything 'confusing' since. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like some others, I also appreciate the full dining experience. I have been a critic of the decision of HAL (and most other cruise lines) to condense what used to be a series of 5-6 courses into now what is basically 3. I say 6 because Sitmar always had a pasta course before your main -- similar to what is done in Italy. 

The reduction takes much away from the sense of occasion of the meal. I enjoy a leisurely meal with a number of courses served sequentially, wine to match, and good conversation. Too many people seem to bolt their food and run. If someone needs to eat in 40 minutes to get to another event, perhaps the buffet is the better choice....

In recent years I'd say I generally order four courses (appetizer, soup or salad but not both, entree, and dessert). On special evenings or when the menu is especially enticing I may have all of the traditional courses.

I have also been known to ask for an entree-sized portion of a particular appetizer if none of the entrees especially appeal.

• Like 7

I often pass on the bread or request my entree be served without the accompanying starch.  If I then want an additional appetizer or dessert that is my choice.  If HAL were to restrict its menu or reduce its choices people would complain.  Neither HAL nor this thread should be blamed for individuals not taking their own personal responsibility for what they consume.  

• Like 1

Only ate in the MDR once, on gala night. Ordered the prime rib. My piece was about half the size of my wife's, maybe 2 ounces tops. I asked for another, and received a piece, about twice the size of hers.

In the Club Orange DR, our waiter often convinced us, when we were indecisive, to order "one of each" to share.

40 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

are you serious about this? why and how did you manage to finish 18 plates?

Sir PMP is well known on these boards for being a bit of a jokester, contrarian, and pot stirrer. I take virtually NOTHING they say with any level of seriousness or credibility.  Sometimes I find their humor funny, most times not. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

@zhuangcorp I, too, have experienced generosity when trying to order a "small side" of tortellini or risotto, etc.; I've been brought the entire entrée when I only wanted a few bites of that specific dish. 😊 I take it based on similar comments, that perhaps it's just easier for those preparing or bringing the plates to do this?

A couple of tips:

--if you do any specialty dining, most do allow more than one starter.

--there should be complimentary pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres upon request in at least some of the lounges during cocktail hour. Ask the wait staff about hours. Sometimes they are displayed, but often I just asked about them.

--if you're on a ship with a Grand Dutch Café, be sure to stop by for some of their offerings (the food is complimentary). 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1