The move of Zenith to Suites (seapass cards)

TrueCruiseaholic

Upon consultation with some Zenith guests in suites, they now have the silver Suite seapass card as opposed to the black Zenith seapass card.

As of even a few months ago, sorry that I am not keeping closer track of this, Zenith suite guests were receiving the black Zenith seapass cards. Since Zenith was created in 2013, a Zenith guest in a suite had still received a black Zenith seapass card. The purpose at the time was to indicate that being Zenith was a bigger recognition than being in a Suite.

Obviously, the recognition has reversed and being in a Suite, even when Zenith, is more important. Some guests had provided feedback in the recent past that with the removal of Retreat Lounge access for Zeniths that the hierarchy of seapass cards should be switched, and now it has.

This is just an objective report about the change. I'm sure some users will argue this is a positive or negative change. The situation is as presented (at least according to certain Zenith Suite guests).

At least now the bar servers in Retreat Lounge can ask to see a card and don't have to worry about whether a black card belongs or not. It does objectively seem to be a more efficient solution for the current paradigm.

• Like 2

Never made sense to me that suite Zeniths did not have a suite card.

Especially the upper level suites with every possible perk including unlimited specialty dining.

Now that Zeniths are permanently banned from Michael's Club and The Retreat they can use the silver card for access control.

10 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Never made sense to me that suite Zeniths did not have a suite card.

Especially the upper level suites with every possible perk including unlimited specialty dining.

Now that Zeniths are permanently banned from Michael's Club and The Retreat they can use the silver card for access control.

When did Celebrity announce permanent ban of Zenith in The Retreat?

23 minutes ago, delondin said:

When it was still black for zenith  if in a suite did it say retreat on the card like it does the silver ones?

From my memory, the black Zenith card did not say "suite" or "retreat" on it anywhere if one was in a suite.

All seapass cards have a section below the big word for the class of card (Concierge, Aquaclass, Zenith, Suite Class) that states the Captain's Club level and Blue Chip level of the cruiser.

So the Suite Class card for a Zenith cruiser now says Suite Class in large font with Zenith and whatever Blue Chip status below in smaller font.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Around the beginning of the month (April 7).

Permanent ban meaning guests have to be staying in a suite to receive access to Retreat Lounge.

not announced as a permanent ban

11 hours ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Upon consultation with some Zenith guests in suites, they now have the silver Suite seapass card as opposed to the black Zenith seapass card.

As of even a few months ago, sorry that I am not keeping closer track of this, Zenith suite guests were receiving the black Zenith seapass cards. Since Zenith was created in 2013, a Zenith guest in a suite had still received a black Zenith seapass card. The purpose at the time was to indicate that being Zenith was a bigger recognition than being in a Suite.

Obviously, the recognition has reversed and being in a Suite, even when Zenith, is more important. Some guests had provided feedback in the recent past that with the removal of Retreat Lounge access for Zeniths that the hierarchy of seapass cards should be switched, and now it has.

This is just an objective report about the change. I'm sure some users will argue this is a positive or negative change. The situation is as presented (at least according to certain Zenith Suite guests).

At least now the bar servers in Retreat Lounge can ask to see a card and don't have to worry about whether a black card belongs or not. It does objectively seem to be a more efficient solution for the current paradigm.

Are you a Zenith member?  Zenith is a loyalty tier with earned benefits.  Staying in a suite is not related to the loyalty program.  They do not compete for recognition level.  Two different things entirely.  Staying in a suite is simply a purchasing choice.  

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Are you a Zenith member?  Zenith is a loyalty tier with earned benefits.  Staying in a suite is not related to the loyalty program.  They do not compete for recognition level.  Two different things entirely.  Staying in a suite is simply a purchasing choice.  

The crux of the matter is that Zenith guests in the past still had a black Zenith seapass card even when in a suite and recently some Zeniths members have indicated that they now have a silver Suite seapass card when in a suite.

There is no indication that non-suite Zenith guests will have access to Retreat Lounge in the future. Retreat Lounge is now a suites only lounge with Sapphire and above Blu Chip members also prohibited access unless in a suite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Around the beginning of the month (April 7).

Permanent ban meaning guests have to be staying in a suite to receive access to Retreat Lounge.

Where was this announced? I remember the restriction being put in place when cruising restarted after Covid but I could swear I saw some cruisers report here a few months ago that Zeniths were allowed back in the Retreat. 

4 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Where was this announced? I remember the restriction being put in place when cruising restarted after Covid but I could swear I saw some cruisers report here a few months ago that Zeniths were allowed back in the Retreat. 

Zenith members were notified via email just a couple weeks ago that it's now permanent. There's a thread titled "Zenith back in the Retreat" which is misleading because it should have had a "?" at the end. AFAIK, Zeniths have not been permitted in the lounge unless staying in a suite since the restart. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Do the Zenith level passengers not booked in a suite still get the Zenith Black Card?

5 hours ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Yes

It seems logical as there are several venues that are only for passengers staying in suites (Luminae, Retreat Deck, and now Retreat Lounge.).  To some degree this has been true for some time.  You would need a Silver Suite card that says Zenith, a Black Zenith Card that says Suite Class, or perhaps a Silver and Black striped card that says Suite Class and Zenith Level.  I am fairly certain that my Suite Class card has always listed my Captain Club status level.  

• Like 1

Zenith seems to have lost status.  It figures since all loyalty levels have less value.  Could Celebrity be on its way to eliminate loyalty or will they just wait until loyal guests die or fade away.  The new Zenith retreat could be another cruise line.  When loyalty is not appreciated, guests are not loyal.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Zenith seems to have lost status.  It figures since all loyalty levels have less value.  Could Celebrity be on its way to eliminate loyalty or will they just wait until loyal guests die or fade away.  The new Zenith retreat could be another cruise line.  When loyalty is not appreciated, guests are not loyal.

I’m a prime example of what you are saying. For at least 18 years would only cruise on Celebrity. Brought many passengers to Celebrity. Plead guilty to being a Celebrity loyalist. I am now trying other lines and only cruising with Celebrity when I find the price or itinerary right,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RichYak said:

Zenith members were notified via email just a couple weeks ago that it's now permanent. There's a thread titled "Zenith back in the Retreat" which is misleading because it should have had a "?" at the end. AFAIK, Zeniths have not been permitted in the lounge unless staying in a suite since the restart. 

Ah, okay. I hadn’t gone into that thread. I must’ve remembered people speculating not actually having had access. Personally I agree with the decision as suites cost so much money that the amenities should be restricted to those who have actually paid for a suite. That being said I do think that Zenith’s should get something in place of this. Celebrity adding a small lounge exclusive for Elite Plus and Zenith guests would be a good idea. Just not sure where they would add that.

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 8:21 AM, TrueCruiseaholic said:

The crux of the matter is that Zenith guests in the past still had a black Zenith seapass card even when in a suite and recently some Zeniths members have indicated that they now have a silver Suite seapass card when in a suite.

There is no indication that non-suite Zenith guests will have access to Retreat Lounge in the future. Retreat Lounge is now a suites only lounge with Sapphire and above Blu Chip members also prohibited access unless in a suite.

When does the colour of a seapass card make a difference on one's cruise experience?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, D C said:

When does the colour of a seapass card make a difference on one's cruise experience?

The thread was intended to be informative of a change that I was told about from other cruisers. I am curious, which is partly why I started the thread, of whether other Suite Zenith guests have experienced a change in seapass cards. I try to be objective, but sometimes it is difficult.

To answer your question, the difference is that between 2013 and 2021/22 Celebrity indicated that it was more important to identify a Suite Zenith guests as Zenith and now Celebrity is indicating the guests are in suites. The difference is whether you are a Zenith suite guest or a lowly Zenith not staying in a suite.

Many CC users seem to not understand what the loss of Retreat Lounge access means to some Zeniths. I'm sure if a perk such as free drinks, laundry, etc were taken away from Elite and Elite Plus guests, they would be complaining too. I understand it is only one perk and not the end of the world and another response is just sail on another line. It is just very depressing that this is what has happened and Celebrity reinforces their class system by reorganizing the hierarchy of seapass cards.

3 hours ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

The thread was intended to be informative of a change that I was told about from other cruisers. I am curious, which is partly why I started the thread, of whether other Suite Zenith guests have experienced a change in seapass cards. I try to be objective, but sometimes it is difficult.

To answer your question, the difference is that between 2013 and 2021/22 Celebrity indicated that it was more important to identify a Suite Zenith guests as Zenith and now Celebrity is indicating the guests are in suites. The difference is whether you are a Zenith suite guest or a lowly Zenith not staying in a suite.

Many CC users seem to not understand what the loss of Retreat Lounge access means to some Zeniths. I'm sure if a perk such as free drinks, laundry, etc were taken away from Elite and Elite Plus guests, they would be complaining too. I understand it is only one perk and not the end of the world and another response is just sail on another line. It is just very depressing that this is what has happened and Celebrity reinforces their class system by reorganizing the hierarchy of seapass cards.

Thanks for the response.  It seems as though Celebrity is following along with many other corporations where loyalty and long term stability is valued far less than short term income.  With the introduction of the Suite-class ships...excuse me...EDGE-Class ships 😉 they created an entire branding around 'exclusivity' and a new name (Retreat) and get people to pay far more to use the same space (turn the lowly Solstice deck into the $$$ Retreat deck on S-class for example).   

Other companies have done the same.  Disney is a prime example. Cut back on annual passes, fewer benefits for their loyal vacation club members, and instead give benefits to those staying in the most expensive resorts.  "Show me the money" is what it's all about now. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, D C said:

Thanks for the response.  It seems as though Celebrity is following along with many other corporations where loyalty and long term stability is valued far less than short term income.  With the introduction of the Suite-class ships...excuse me...EDGE-Class ships 😉 they created an entire branding around 'exclusivity' and a new name (Retreat) and get people to pay far more to use the same space (turn the lowly Solstice deck into the $$$ Retreat deck on S-class for example).   

Other companies have done the same.  Disney is a prime example. Cut back on annual passes, fewer benefits for their loyal vacation club members, and instead give benefits to those staying in the most expensive resorts.  "Show me the money" is what it's all about now. 

I might be alone in this view, but I think that these companies are making a serious mistake cutting loyalty benefits. With inflation as seen in food prices, gas prices, etc. and interest rates rising to levels haven’t seen in many years , something needs to go. I believe that some will make larger cutbacks in their “wants”. Loyalty and trust once lost is difficult to regain.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, Redtravel said:

It should not be a surprise with Celebrity giving away points for doing quizes, watching webinars etc. that the loyalty levels  are devalued. They are giving way points because the points don't mean that much anymore. 

• Like 4

On 4/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, Orator said:

I’m a prime example of what you are saying. For at least 18 years would only cruise on Celebrity. Brought many passengers to Celebrity. Plead guilty to being a Celebrity loyalist. I am now trying other lines and only cruising with Celebrity when I find the price or itinerary right,

We are also “Celebrity Loyalists”. But only because we fell in love with the brand on our very first X cruise when we found that sailing in their suites was our favorite way to travel. We never cared about “status”. Did we enjoy the CC Happy Hours? Of course we did. But as the Captain's Club numbers started to grow and X changed the way events were structured, we stopped attending. Eventually the Retreat became more appealing for pre-dinner drinks and conversation.

It will be nice to reach the “Zenith" but we will continue to sail in suites.

We feel the same about other aspects of our travel.

Status and perks are nice, but for some, comfort and service can be more important.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It should not be a surprise with Celebrity giving away points for doing quizes, watching webinars etc. that the loyalty levels  are devalued. They are giving way points because the points don't mean that much anymore. 

X is "giving away” points to keep people engaged. And it's working. 😉

Those just starting out with very little points are happy to be able to add more, and  those who are close to achieving the next level are happy for the opportunity to move up for their next sailing.

Whether the points are valuable or not, is determined by each individual.

• Like 1