When Does The Coast Guard Get A Sick Person

Arrived in Port Everglades today instead of Coco Cay. There were 2 very sick passengers and one was critical on the Allure. Captain said thanks to the medical staff they were able to keep them alive. Yikes! Hoping they survive whatever it is. The alpha call came out last night so it took us a while to get to PE. Wishing them the best, but why wouldn’t the Coast Guard come out? Anyone know their criteria or just speculation?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Only in situations where the person's life is in danger if medical care isn't expedited.

Recently on another cruise line, a crew member was airlifted out due to internal bleeding

The persons life must have been in danger since the Captain said the medical crew were able to keep them alive. I guess we were close enough to shore for them not to come out.

19 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

The persons life must have been in danger since the Captain said the medical crew were able to keep them alive. I guess we were close enough to shore for them not to come out.

I think you are correct with that thought.  To my understanding it is always safer and preferred to deal with this type of emergency in port v a helicopter evacuation.  Their lives may in fact been in danger but I'm guessing there must have been ample care on board equal to that provided by an airlift to justify that decision.  CocoCay is only about 130 miles from Port Everglades - relatively close.  And if this occurred at night that would add to the risk of an airlift.  Of course I am only speculating.

We have been on a cruise where a helicopter evacuation was performed for a passenger and, while fascinating, it was quite scary to watch the basket with the passenger lifted to the helicopter with all of the rotor turbulence, etc., involved.  We were also pretty far out from Miami at the time and it was surmised that the passenger's situation was too critical to wait to return back and reach port.  I realize Allure has a helipad, but it is risky to land a helicopter nonetheless.

I know there is at least one member of the Coast Guard who is a regular poster on these boards - along with one or two experienced career maritime members. Perhaps they will see this post and add their insight.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Arrived in Port Everglades today instead of Coco Cay. There were 2 very sick passengers and one was critical on the Allure. Captain said thanks to the medical staff they were able to keep them alive. Yikes! Hoping they survive whatever it is. The alpha call came out last night so it took us a while to get to PE. Wishing them the best, but why wouldn’t the Coast Guard come out? Anyone know their criteria or just speculation?

On my last cruise on Oasis I heard Alpha, Alpha, Alpha as well. The worst is hearing Oscar, Oscar, Oscar because the chances are slim to none the person will survive if they can even find them. Sorry your cruise was cut short. I've always wondered myself when the Coast Guard is supposed to intervene. 

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think you are correct with that thought.  To my understanding it is always safer and preferred to deal with this type of emergency in port v a helicopter evacuation.  Their lives may in fact been in danger but I'm guessing there must have been ample care on board equal to that provided by an airlift to justify that decision.  CocoCay is only about 130 miles from Port Everglades - relatively close.  And if this occurred at night that would add to the risk of an airlift.  Of course I am only speculating.

We have been on a cruise where a helicopter evacuation was performed for a passenger and, while fascinating, it was quite scary to watch the basket with the passenger lifted to the helicopter with all of the rotor turbulence, etc., involved.  We were also pretty far out from Miami at the time and it was surmised that the passenger's situation was too critical to wait to reach port.  I realize Allure has a helipad, but it is risky to land a helicopter nonetheless.

The helipad is not big enough for CG helicopters

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

The helipad is not big enough for CG helicopters

And if that is the case, that would add to the risk as they would have to hover and use the basket to evacuate the passenger.  That was our experience when we witnessed it.  Except the evacuation was over the pool deck as there was no helipad to use as a focal point.

46 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That is horrible to hear.  I wonder if the 2 people were traveling together.  

Good to hear medical staff was able to keep them alive.

We had to re-route to take a critical patient to Jamaica as he had a severe heart attack and hit his head on marble floor and had swelling of the brain and he started convulsing.   I was there when it happened and was very impressed with the crew and medical staff arriving so quick and knew exactly what to do for him.  They had an IV and defibrillator ready to go in a matter of seconds.

I stayed with the guy until medics arrived.  They thought I was a family member and someone said to me his case is too traumatic to evacuate by helicopter.   They will get him as stable as possible during the night while we head to closest hospital.

I then said I don't know him I was just walking by when it happened so they opened up fire door and allowed me to leave the area while they continued to work on him.  

It was about 2 hrs later the Captain announced our change of course.

I read on either FB or roll call the solo cruiser was stabilized at Jamaica hospital and his family back at home was arranging for medical transport to get him back home.    Hopefully he survived And hopefully these 2 passengers will too!

• Like 5

It can take as long to arrange helo evac as it can to get to some ports. Plus if the person is really fragile medically being lifted on a deck in a basket can be very stressful. They have to weigh all their options. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

On my last cruise on Oasis I heard Alpha, Alpha, Alpha as well. The worst is hearing Oscar, Oscar, Oscar because the chances are slim to none the person will survive if they can even find them. Sorry your cruise was cut short. I've always wondered myself when the Coast Guard is supposed to intervene. 

I just hope they are ok. Coco Cay would have been fun but I’m fine with not going there and getting a person off of the ship that needs medical attention. Today is a sea day since we are to far to go to Coco Cay and return home by tomorrow morning. 

• Like 2

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

I just hope they are ok. Coco Cay would have been fun but I’m fine with not going there and getting a person off of the ship that needs medical attention. Today is a sea day since we are to far to go to Coco Cay and return home by tomorrow morning. 

Yes I agree and you've probably been there several times like all us Floridians. I hope they are okay as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Depending on the ship position, sometimes the cost guard can be out of range

helicopter medial emergency is also very risky too. weather, seas and other conditions need to be calm and perfect 

I’m not sure how far out we were. I thought I heard an alpha call, but normally don’t pay attention anymore when I’m in the room. Most of the time it’s just about sales or other things going on. The only reason I heard this announcement was because the Captain came on the speaker in the room. Maybe someone who tracks the ships will be able to tell when we changed course.

The decision on whether to air evacuate a patient is made in conjunction between the ship's Captain (weather, safety concerns), the ship's doctor (status of the patient, and capability to maintain care onboard), the flight crew (safety), and the USCG flight surgeon (risk to patient vs reward to patient).  There is a risk involved in winching a patient, and then you have a flight of maybe 1-2 hours where the patient is under minimal care (think of an ambulance for 2 hours), and weigh that risk with the patient remaining in a small emergency care facility with a doctor and nurses, with less motion, for a longer time.  If the patient was truly in critical condition, the flight surgeon would likely never consider an air evacuation, as the paramedics onboard the helicopter don't have advanced life support equipment or training.

The helipads on these ships are mostly for show.  Placing them on the bow is about the worst place you can.  In order to reduce vessel motion (rolling/pitching), the Captain must maintain steerageway (at least 3-4 knots) into the wind.  The helicopter then needs to approach the ship from the bow, with a tail wind, and with a wall facing you and coming towards you at 3-4 knots.  It is far safer to lift from somewhere where there is an unobstructed flat deck without a six story wall around it, like the pool deck, or some of the crew outside decks high up aft.  You will also notice that when winching, the helicopter will move away from the ship as soon as possible, since if things go sideways, it is better for the patient to hit the water than the steel ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Especially on transatlantic cruises. Many have had to wait in the morgue. 

They just had an airlift on one of the TA’s. 

Video by @jim_lain

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I was on Mardi Gras in October we were rerouted to Amber Cove for a medical emergency. En route a helicopter came and flew around the ship a few times and then left. I'm not sure if they were assessing the situation or what. 

16 minutes ago, UtahSaints said:

The fact that 2 people where both sick seems it must have been something they both ate, exposed to, or used. I am hoping it was not something they deliberately used or took that then affected the plans of thousands of people.

I think it's a bit careless to speculate without knowing the facts.  They could have just coincidentally both had serious medical emergencies.  Unfortunately given the amount of passengers on board cruise ships on any given cruise it does happen.  We've been on several cruises where that has occurred.

• Like 5

Just said I was hoping that was not the case. There really is not a way to know the facts and was wondering if somebody had a little more insight about the situation. Had to explain to my kids why we can’t go to the beach today and now stuck on the cruise ship. I wish they gave us the option of leaving the cruise ship when it was in port instead of spending the last day going back out to sea. Would have loved to spend a day on the beach in Fort Lauderdale before we fly back home tomorrow afternoon. But I understand that they really are not setup to have people get off the ship a day before. Customs, etc. 

Edited by UtahSaints

expanding on what Chengkp75 said, for risky and dangerous rescue missions, the general rule is "Risk a life to save a life" so in order to justify sending the Coast Guard rescuers into a life threatening situation the patient has to be imminently dying or at risk of dying before the cruise ship can make it back into port. (and yes - when airlifting a patient off a moving cruise-ship via a basket, the rescuers are risking their lives, and the patient's life. If something goes wrong with the helicopter, the winch or the coordination between the two... they will dump both the patient AND the rescuer into the sea to prevent a crash)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reddgroom said:

If something goes wrong with the helicopter, the winch or the coordination between the two... they will dump both the patient AND the rescuer into the sea to prevent a crash)

And people should notice in the video of a long range helicopter evac, there is a long range fixed wing aircraft to provide lifesaving equipment and remain on station if anything goes sideways with the helicopter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, UtahSaints said:

Just said I was hoping that was not the case. There really is not a way to know the facts and was wondering if somebody had a little more insight about the situation. Had to explain to my kids why we can’t go to the beach today and now stuck on the cruise ship. I wish they gave us the option of leaving the cruise ship when it was in port instead of spending the last day going back out to sea. Would have loved to spend a day on the beach in Fort Lauderdale before we fly back home tomorrow afternoon. But I understand that they really are not setup to have people get off the ship a day before. Customs, etc. 

The fact that 2 people where both sick seems it must have been something they both ate, exposed to, or used. 

Sorry, just when I read the first sentence of your response it did seem as though you were speculating on what "seems it must have been" the cause.  I realize you further qualified that by saying you hope it wasn't deliberate due to the impact on thousands of people.   However, I stand by my comments.

Having experienced medical emergencies on ships before, I am certain that the Captain explained that due the a medical emergency, the itinerary would be unfortunately impacted.  Based on privacy concerned for those involved no more insight would be necessary - or frankly anybody's business.  The Captain provided enough of an explanation for your children IMO.

The option to leave the ship not being available was likely for several valid reasons: you are correct - immigration and customs was likely not available or ready to process disembarking guests; likely many of those  - if there were others - who would have wanted to disembark then may have expected some form of compensation for cutting their cruise short, which would not be forthcoming (nor should it be); the time it would take waiting in port to close out stateroom accounts and allow guests to pack and disembark would have further impacted the remaining time on board for the rest of the guests who still wanted to enjoy the last day of their cruise.

The situation is very unfortunate for the two guest who had the medical emergency, and theirs is the only concern that should matter.  I'm sorry their issues inconvenienced your cruise!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

After reading I wondered what other codes ships might have that we don't hear everyday and here is a list of what I found....for what it's worth.

Cruise Ships

• 30-30 – maintenance needed to clean up a mess
  • Alpha (specifically Alpha, Alpha, Alpha on Princess and Royal Caribbean ships) – medical emergency
  • Alpha Team, Alpha Team, Alpha Team – fire emergency on a Carnival Cruise Line ship
  • Bravo or Bravo, Bravo, Bravo – fire
  • Charlie – bomb threat
  • Charlie, Charlie, Charlie – security threat on Royal Caribbean ships
  • Code Blue – medical emergency
  • Code Red – outbreak of illness
  • Delta – damage to the ship on Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Delta, Delta, Delta – possible bio-hazard
  • Echo – the ship is starting to drift
  • Echo, Echo, Echo – possible collision with another ship or the shore on Royal Caribbean ships. On other ships it can mean danger of high winds while at port.
  • Kilo (specifically Kilo, Kilo, Kilo on Royal Caribbean ships) – all personnel to report to their emergency posts
  • Omega or Oscar or Bravo, Bravo or Mr. Mob – man overboard (we heard that on a Disney Cruise once. That was fun.)
  • Operation Bright Star (Code Mike on Oceania Cruises) – medical emergency, urgent assistance required
  • Operation Rising Star – someone died on board
  • Oscar, Oscar, Oscar – man overboard on Royal Caribbean ships
  • Mr. Skylight, or Alpha, Alpha, Alpha – minor emergency
  • Papa – environmental emergency (i.e., oil spill) on Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Priority 2 – leak
  • Purell, Purell, Purell or PVI (public vomiting incident) – cleanup (vomit) on Celebrity ships
  • Red Party – fire at sea
  • Red Parties, Red Parties, Red Parties – fire or possible fire on Disney Cruise Lines ships
  • Sierra – call for a stretcher
  • Star Code, Star Code, Star Code – medical emergency on Celebrity ships
  • Zulu, Zulu, Zulu – a fight aboard the ship