Health questionnaire - close contact…what now?

A couple in our travel party (who we haven’t seen as they live in another state) who are supposed to cruise with us next weekend found out today they were close contacts to two positive Covid cases. They were sitting next them at an indoor gathering for an extended period of time on Thursday. 
They are getting tested tomorrow as one feels under the weather.  Potential positive test aside…I know they will “fail” the Royal app health questionnaire end of the week as I believe contact in the last 14 days is still a question.

What is Royal doing in this situation? I am assuming they will be denied boarding by answering yes to that question on the app?  

Before anyone asks…we think they should just use Cruise with Confidence at this point if there’s any doubt on having picked up Covid. 

2 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Is your traveling party getting tested? If positive they’ll receive a refund or FCC.

We all have to test end of week to board but yes, as I said In the post they are testing tomorrow bc they feel under the weather. 
I know a positive test will get an fcc/refund. I’m trying to find out if they test negative but answer yes (bc they will be honest) for contact with positives end of week on the app’s health survey - what then? Is it denied boarding due to the health survey? 

14 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

And that’s one way we continue to get Covid circulating on ships…lying about feeling ill or contact on that form.  Ironically,  one of their positive contacts got off a cruise ship 5 days prior. 

Then why are you asking the question? If that’s their concern they should cancel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Then why are you asking the question? If that’s their concern they should cancel.

Because they want to know what Royals policy is when they truthfully say yes, they were in contact with people. An agent couldn’t tell us nor their TA.   No one has been able to tell me what happens if you answer yes to that question.

I’ve only been told to have them lie. Is it an automatic denial of boarding? Or do they offer a secondary screening with onsite medical personnel to decide if they are fit to sail as I’ve seen with Another line I sailed recently?  

it’s a legitimate situation to inquire about. I can’t make someone else cancel but I can share information they asked about. 

• Like 3

With that…I’m trying to avoid unnecessary contacts the two weeks prior to our trip. To the point that I’m taking a vacation day the Tuesday before I trip so I won’t have to go to our Tuesday team meeting. 

That said,  my granddaughter’s last day of school before summer is about ten days before our cruise. If one of her classmates tests positive and is considered a close contact, does that mean we probably won’t get to go?  Even if she never tests positive?

1 minute ago, LadyBeBop said:

With that…I’m trying to avoid unnecessary contacts the two weeks prior to our trip. To the point that I’m taking a vacation day the Tuesday before I trip so I won’t have to go to our Tuesday team meeting. 

That said,  my granddaughter’s last day of school before summer is about ten days before our cruise. If one of her classmates tests positive and is considered a close contact, does that mean we probably won’t get to go?  Even if she never tests positive?

That’s what I’m trying to figure out.  Your whole party may not be affected, like in our case, we live so far from them and not in the same house or stateroom so we’d still be able to go.  It’s tougher if it’s a big family trip and if you want to continue. 

and that’s been our plan before all of our cruises since the restart..we’re careful where we go the two weeks prior, if at all possible.  I have two mandatory in office days this week..I’ll be wearing a mask. 

2 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Because they want to know what Royals policy is when they truthfully say yes, they were in contact with people. An agent couldn’t tell us nor their TA.   No one has been able to tell me what happens if you answer yes to that question.

I’ve only been told to have them lie. Is it an automatic denial of boarding? Or do they offer a secondary screening with onsite medical personnel to decide if they are fit to sail as I’ve seen with Another line I sailed recently?  

it’s a legitimate situation to inquire about. I can’t make someone else cancel but I can share information they asked about. 

If RC didn’t care about close contact they wouldn’t ask. I’d think it’s very likely  they’d be denied boarding if they answer yes. But if you read your answer when people told you to just say no on the questionnaire you pushed back that that’s how it spreads on ships. So no matter how they answer if they really feel that way they should just cancel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

They ask because they have to ask. If they cared they'd do thorough medical screenings of every passenger

Yes I know that they have to but I also think they’d deny boarding if you answer yes to those questions. That is why Id use my common sense and if I knew I didn’t get Covid from the close contact after a few days I would just answer no. Some want to be virtue signalers but don’t want to pay the price.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

And that’s one way we continue to get Covid circulating on ships…lying about feeling ill or contact on that form.  Ironically,  one of their positive contacts got off a cruise ship 5 days prior. 

How many hundreds of people are on the ship after having a close contact that they did no know about?? There is not much Covid circulating on ships, regardless .

If your friends test negative, then answer no on the questionnaire, this will be over a week post contact and everything will be fine.

• Like 2

You necessarily wont be denied boarding, what they will do is give you an additional screening. I tested positive on the pre cruise test, only symptom was a sneeze.  My friends were going and they answered yes to the question.  They were pulled out and asked when, where and how long.  She was with me on an outside walk for an hour.  They were able to board.  However, I had to show proof of positive in order to get a refund. Not sure how they would refund a close contact.    

This is only one example and may not be your experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

I'm pretty sure all cruiselines have about the same policy. Read kmoms thread over on carnival. She had a cold, not even covid and answered yes being truthful on symptoms. That thread is on page 3 last I saw. She is a regular poster and had to have known the consequences of answering yes.

If you just want to know the consequences of answering yes to symptoms..

5 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

We all have to test end of week to board but yes, as I said In the post they are testing tomorrow bc they feel under the weather. 
I know a positive test will get an fcc/refund. I’m trying to find out if they test negative but answer yes (bc they will be honest) for contact with positives end of week on the app’s health survey - what then? Is it denied boarding due to the health survey? 

I have heard of other cruises showing up at the terminal and answering Yes to close contact question and heard they were taken aside and had to provide additional details and were given a rapid test on location to determine if they could board.      In their case, they were not permitted.    Another case someone was permitted as they could document their contact was just about 10-days before the cruise.   

Basically, the answer will vary based on the check in person at the terminal.   

IF they do test negative, Do they want to fly and risk being denied?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

A couple in our travel party (who we haven’t seen as they live in another state) who are supposed to cruise with us next weekend found out today they were close contacts to two positive Covid cases. They were sitting next them at an indoor gathering for an extended period of time on Thursday. 
They are getting tested tomorrow as one feels under the weather.  Potential positive test aside…I know they will “fail” the Royal app health questionnaire end of the week as I believe contact in the last 14 days is still a question.

What is Royal doing in this situation? I am assuming they will be denied boarding by answering yes to that question on the app?  

Before anyone asks…we think they should just use Cruise with Confidence at this point if there’s any doubt on having picked up Covid. 

Just be honest (always the the best policy).  Lying never works well, regardless of situation.

They are trying to keep any outbreaks at bay on board.  So far, they’ve been successful.  But, it depends on honest passengers to report any illnesses.  Same goes for Noro Virus.  If you have gastro issues, they need to know that, too.  I think we’ve all heard stories of Noro outbreaks on board ships.  They aren’t pretty.

Royal will do additional testing and screening.  If you pass, all’s good.  If not, you’ll get a refund (at least I think that’s their current policy regarding testing positive right before embarkation).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm pretty sure all cruiselines have about the same policy. Read kmoms thread over on carnival. She had a cold, not even covid and answered yes being truthful on symptoms. That thread is on page 3 last I saw. She is a regular poster and had to have known the consequences of answering yes.

If you just want to know the consequences of answering yes to symptoms..

We were able to board but we were flagged and I had to maneuver my answers very carefully at that point. As Firefly says, I probably should have known better and I can’t recommend testing the system as I did. I immediately regretted my answers and had three levels of questioning at embarkation, knowing at this point I was in trouble and each answer could be the difference between sailing or not.

Edited by KmomChicago

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They really should just make it one question, since they really don't care about any other virus that could board the ship.  Just ask "is there any reasonable chance that you have covid?"

We got off a b2b on EN this past Friday.  I started with a cold onboard last week and it moved into my sinuses.  Just got back from Urgent Care and negative for flu and covid which I knew would be the case.  There are so many viruses going around right now, plus high pollen counts.  Lots of coughing onboard and I'd bet all or almost all were colds.  Answering questions about cold symptoms right now could easily get 50% or more passengers flagged or cancelled.  They can't continue asking questions that point more to colds or allergies.  I don't think those questions are helpful at all.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have heard of other cruises showing up at the terminal and answering Yes to close contact question and heard they were taken aside and had to provide additional details and were given a rapid test on location to determine if they could board.      In their case, they were not permitted.    Another case someone was permitted as they could document their contact was just about 10-days before the cruise.   

Basically, the answer will vary based on the check in person at the terminal.   

IF they do test negative, Do they want to fly and risk being denied?

Thank you. That’s exactly why I’m asking. If secondary screening is what’s needed and that seems to be the verdict, they may not want to risk traveling 5 hrs to the port. They will need to decide if they wAnt to use cruise with confidence or risk it.  They tested negative this morning but one is still saying they don’t feel good…dr has recommended retesting tomorrow or Tuesday if they still feel off. 

• Like 1

I don’t know what happens if one answers yes to close contact. In January I answered yes to cough and at least one other symptom. I was allowed to board with no further screening. I knew when I flew to the port that morning that I might be denied boarding. Thankfully everything worked out - and the sea air cured my cough.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

This happened to me for my 13/31 sailing.  I was on a cruise in Dec, and  those that I shared a connecting cabin with came down with COVID 3 or 4 days after the cruise.  My Dec 31 cruise was less than 14 days after my last cruise.  I tested 3 times, all came out negative, and asked the Royal reps what will happened when I fill out the questionnaire, and got mixed answers.

Bottom Line filled out health questionnaire day prior stated yes I was with someone within 14 days who came down with Covied and my cruise was immediately canceled.  I did get a full refund about 2 weeks later.

I never did come down with COVID, but there were many other cruises I have done since.

• Thanks 1