Are we mad to consider this multi-cruise itinerary?

• 4 weeks later...

It’s 44 days until we fly out and I’m really starting to question our sanity. 
I’m hearing about flights being cancelled and airports in chaos. But we are scheduled to arrive in Seattle 48 hours before our ship sails. Surely that’s enough of a buffer. 
Im hearing about lots of COVID infections in Alaska. But we will both get our 2nd booster before we leave Australia. 
I think that Carnival Spendor will be the first ship to arrive from overseas with passengers onboard. 23 days is a long time. I wonder how many positive cases we will have by then. I wonder if they’ll let the ship dock and let passengers debark. 
I’m doubtful that the Pacific Encounter will sail to PNG. I’m also concerned that it still might and the implications of that. 

I’m going to need a holiday to get over the holiday preparations. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We leave in a month, stressing a little.

more stressed about the negative test to board. 
We have two weeks in the UK before the cruise.
We have two flights from Edinburgh-Oslo-Tromso to get to the ship.

Biggest risk will be those flights, 1. the risk of Covid, 2. They are SAS flights so they could go on strike 3. Loose our luggage.
We’ve given ourselves 2 days to get there, fingers crossed.

Cruise is 29 days long, I’m sure Covid will rear its ugly face on the cruise, not much we can do. Cruise ends in Alaska so no issues getting off the ship and needing to quarantine etc.

fortunately (or not), I’m currently positive (for the first time), unlikely I’ll get it again in the near future.

There are so many risks to traveling, I think we have to just ensure we have good travel insurance and go for it!

• Like 2

Just a reminder  to put anything important in your carryon.  Hearing lots of reports of lost luggage.

Airports - DD is currently in the US via London, Dublin, Calgary, Vancouver.  Lots of queues and flight delays due to lack of staff at all airports.   Just go prepared for this and it won’t bother you as it didn’t bother her.

She noticed lots of people in Vancouver wearing masks. She was only in Seattle overnight so didn’t comment on the mask situation there.

Good luck with your trip.  

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s now 33 days until we fly to Seattle to begin our "Mad Multi-Cruise Itinerary". 
Yes, @Cbtours, I’ve started packing. Well, I’ve thrown a few things into the suitcase. It’s less than 3 weeks since we disembarked the Coral Princess and I did suggest to DW that we just leave our bags packed. 
one of my major stressors at the moment is the state of our house. It’s messy at the best of times. The biggest issue is we have too much stuff! 
We have a retired couple who are filling in for us while we're away (we're Salvation Army officers) and they will also live in our house for 8 weeks so it’s got to be sorted. At the moment I’m chucking out something everyday.
To further complicate matters our complex suffered severe storm damage a few months ago, with 2’ (600mm) through the place. As well as being in the middle of a massive insurance claim and building restoration, a bunch of stuff we salvaged is still at our place!

The photo is the current state of our dining room table! 😱🤷‍♂️
It’s all a bit overwhelming but we will get there. Little by little. 

I'll keep you all updated. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Well, it’s now 33 days until we fly to Seattle to begin our "Mad Multi-Cruise Itinerary". 
Yes, @Cbtours, I’ve started packing. Well, I’ve thrown a few things into the suitcase. It’s less than 3 weeks since we disembarked the Coral Princess and I did suggest to DW that we just leave our bags packed. 
one of my major stressors at the moment is the state of our house. It’s messy at the best of times. The biggest issue is we have too much stuff! 
We have a retired couple who are filling in for us while we're away (we're Salvation Army officers) and they will also live in our house for 8 weeks so it’s got to be sorted. At the moment I’m chucking out something everyday.
To further complicate matters our complex suffered severe storm damage a few months ago, with 2’ (600mm) through the place. As well as being in the middle of a massive insurance claim and building restoration, a bunch of stuff we salvaged is still at our place!

The photo is the current state of our dining room table! 😱🤷‍♂️
It’s all a bit overwhelming but we will get there. Little by little. 

I'll keep you all updated. 

image.jpg

Oh my gosh! I hope you are ruthless then😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Oh my gosh! I hope you are ruthless then😂

We need to be but it’s not easy! 😬🤷‍♂️

In other news, DW has been struggling with a painful ankle since last year. This week an ultrasound revealed that the problem is inflamed tendons. The podiatrist, physiotherapist, and GP all agree that she needs to wear a moon boot for the next 4 weeks. It’s been ordered so hopefully she gets it fitted early next week. 
I’m thinking that we won’t be doing the bicycle/hiking excursion that we booked in Alaska and that maybe I should request a wheelchair for the flights as well as cruise embarkation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We need to be but it’s not easy! 😬🤷‍♂️

In other news, DW has been struggling with a painful ankle since last year. This week an ultrasound revealed that the problem is inflamed tendons. The podiatrist, physiotherapist, and GP all agree that she needs to wear a moon boot for the next 4 weeks. It’s been ordered so hopefully she gets it fitted early next week. 
I’m thinking that we won’t be doing the bicycle/hiking excursion that we booked in Alaska and that maybe I should request a wheelchair for the flights as well as cruise embarkation. 

Requesting a chair is definitely worth it! Will be interested to hear about Alaska(& the rest of the trip) . Are you doing a live 🥰

• Like 1

The countdown is definitely on! It’s now only 30 days until we board our flight to Seattle. 
Most of the house, including the dining room table, is still a disaster zone but it is delightful to wake up to a decluttered nightstand. Not only is the top clear but the drawers are cleaned out also. 😁

4B91EDFE-BABB-436B-B8A1-6AA576E5CD06.jpeg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

The countdown is definitely on! It’s now only 30 days until we board our flight to Seattle. 
Most of the house, including the dining room table, is still a disaster zone but it is delightful to wake up to a decluttered nightstand. Not only is the top clear but the drawers are cleaned out also. 😁

4B91EDFE-BABB-436B-B8A1-6AA576E5CD06.jpeg

It would be a lot of extra pressure on you and your wife to have the house ready for the couple who will be living there while you are away.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It would be a lot of extra pressure on you and your wife to have the house ready for the couple who will be living there while you are away.

The house needs decluttering anyway. And it’s going to be nice to come home to. 
But you’re right, it is a lot of extra pressure. 
My mantra is inspired by Dory from Finding Nemo: Just keep swimming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do hope yourself or others keep us updated about the TP as you are all together for all those days. I'm doing the next 2 cruises on Splendor. Will check here & The Book.. 

There's going to lot's & Lot's of Aussies on The Pink Lady (Splendor). Happy Cruising..

• Like 2

I wondered if we should look at upgrading to Premium Economy for the longest flight, Sydney to Vancouver. So I sent an email to our travel agent. 
She’s just come back with the price. 

$4,291.00

each! 😱

We will remain in cattle class I’m afraid. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I wondered if we should look at upgrading to Premium Economy for the longest flight, Sydney to Vancouver. So I sent an email to our travel agent. 

$4,291.00

each! 😱

Is cattle class Around 2500 to 3000. We were on Air Canada, very ordinary service wise.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

$4,291.00

each! 😱

Have you priced Eva Air Business Class from Brisbane to Vancouver?  I fly with them to London and find them a wonderful airline and reasonably priced compared to the other airlines like Air Canada.  I don't like Air Canada, which are very ordinary as Les says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Have you priced Eva Air Business Class from Brisbane to Vancouver?  I fly with them to London and find them a wonderful airline and reasonably priced compared to the other airlines like Air Canada.  I don't like Air Canada, which are very ordinary as Les says.

I doubt that changing airlines is an option at this stage. We got a very good price in the first place. 

15 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

DW just came home with the news that her parents have also booked the transpacific cruise! 😱

Your in laws will keep you in line then, no late night disco or karaoke, lol.

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2022 at 2:18 PM, Sparky74 said:

$4,291.00

each! 😱

What type of plane is it on? If you ever get to choose to fly on an A380, then the upstairs (full length of plane) is business and premium economy, but the last five rows upstairs are economy! and the front row of the five behind the bulkhead, you can stretch your legs full out.

What is your flight number and date sydney to vancouver and I'll have a squiz 

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

What type of plane is it on? If you ever get to choose to fly on an A380, then the upstairs (full length of plane) is business and premium economy, but the last five rows upstairs are economy! and the front row of the five behind the bulkhead, you can stretch your legs full out.

What is your flight number and date sydney to vancouver and I'll have a squiz 

The seating configuration differs according to the airline.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Not sure the in laws will stop him from singing and dancing.

I thought singing and dancing was banned on the ships these days? Everybody has to be secured in their cabins by 9pm.😂