What can we expect in the MDR on a UK 12-day cruise?

BuckeyeMark

So much discussion of what is appropriate, what you should wear, "I'm appalled people are/aren't wearing" in the MDR ... but what I am interested in is what the majority of people ARE wearing on British Isle cruises in the MDR?  Jackets and ties?  Dresses for the ladies?  Or have things gotten more casual?  Lots of jeans or no jeans? 

I have read that European cruises can be a bit more formal than Caribbean cruises (which makes sense, I guess) so trying to pack the right stuff.  Do I need a jacket every night? Ties?  Dresses for ladies?  

You don’t need a jacket every night by any means. 

Black tie / jackets and ties are fairly normal for formal nights in the MDR. Formal dresses/ fancy tops and evening trousers for ladies.

Smart casual nights range from those who do indeed wear a jacket and tie to much more normally smart chinos and a collared shirts/ polo shirts or smart jeans with tailored shirts. Ladies wear everything from summer dresses to long tops and cropped trousers with ballet pumps.

What you won’t generally get in the MDR is shorts, T-shirts, baseball caps, trainers etc in the evening.

I stopped packing the tux and ties a few years ago. Formal for me is slacks and sports coat but forgo the tie. There will be some in  tux and gowns and a higher percentage than in the 🍋Caribbean 

We’re also sailing on a 12 night British Isles cruise.  My husband is a Brit, so he does enjoy dressing up a bit.  Casual nights he wears nice slacks, collared shirt and nice sweater.  Dress up nights he adds dress shirt, tie and jacket.  He used to wear a tux or suit, but he’s become a bit more casual as have most passengers.

We were on a Princess cruise from the UK in October. 

My totally unscientific observations are that on formal night 75% of men wore dinner jackets, the rest wore some form of jacket and tie.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My totally unscientific observations are that on formal night 75% of men wore dinner jackets, the rest wore some form of jacket and tie.  

Again unscientific but I would say about the same in late March early April this year.

I did a 12 day British Isles twice.  We didn't eat there on "formal" nights.  But, did a few other times.  From what I could tell most people were casual but not as casual as at the buffet.  Women wore mostly slacks (my go-to pants for dinner are black) and nicer tops, often with a cardigan or something similar.   Men were in trousers and open neck shirts like polo shirts, or button-down shirts.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

That is in general because most sailings from Southampton with the exception of British Isles cruises have a majority of Brits onboard. British Isles cruises are somewhat different and the dress code is very poor with I should say only 25% of the men wear tuxedos/dinner suits on the 5 British Isles cruises we have done. I have always felt overdressed sharing tables with people who think black t-shirt with no jacket is good enough for formal nights and even shared a table on a formal night with a gentleman that wore a baseball cap all through the meal. We are due to sail on 2nd June on a British Isles cruise again and for the first time not even taking my dinner suit, on formal nights I shall wear a suit with shirt and no tie.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We are due to sail on 2nd June on a British Isles cruise again and for the first time not even taking my dinner suit, on formal nights I shall wear a suit with shirt and no tie.

Personally, I don't think you should let your standards slip. You are in the right,  not those who do not understand the dress code.

• Like 1

In about a week, we will be on a British Isles cruise and we will abide by the same personal/ ship guidelines. For DH, black slacks, dress shirt and tie. For me, dressy pants and top or my black velvet dress. Formal clothes are heavy and we have to abide by the weight for luggage guidelines.

I have just packed for a 8 day UK cruise and because we are not flying I am taking a suitcase full of dress up clothes, which I have not had the chance to wear for ages. Last two trips (non cruise) a carry on lasted me the whole week. I don't think you can over dress, but I don't care what any one else wears.  

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Personally, I don't think you should let your standards slip. You are in the right,  not those who do not understand the dress code.

Whilst I agree with you I am not comfortable sitting at dinner on a table for 8 when majority look as if they are dressed to go to their local supermarket. You are lucky if a male wears plain black t shirt many wear gaudy ones and to sit where one man for the whole duration of the meal wearing a baseball cap with his favourite baseball team doesnt give the atmosphere of formal night onboard. I will have a certain standard of a suit and open necked shirt wont go as low as t-shirts, jeans and sneekrs as many do.

5 hours ago, nini said:

In about a week, we will be on a British Isles cruise and we will abide by the same personal/ ship guidelines. For DH, black slacks, dress shirt and tie. For me, dressy pants and top or my black velvet dress. Formal clothes are heavy and we have to abide by the weight for luggage guidelines.

Sorry but for me Formal dress is not black slacks, dress shirt and tie with no jacket on. Formal clothes are not as heavy as normal clothes and I have flown around the world including US taking formal dress suit and still managed to adhere to luggage guidelines. Many use that as an excuse and that is all it is an excuse to suit themselves.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but for me Formal dress is not black slacks, dress shirt and tie with no jacket on. Formal clothes are not as heavy as normal clothes and I have flown around the world including US taking formal dress suit and still managed to adhere to luggage guidelines. Many use that as an excuse and that is all it is an excuse to suit themselves.

Totally agree.

My slim fit Zara dinner jackets are so much lighter than the old white tux' I bought from M&S donkey's years ago!

Appreciate everyone's feedback ... getting a little nervous that this thread is going to become a debate about what one OUGHT to wear, pack, etc.

What I am asking about as the OP is what people ARE wearing.  Your help in that department is appreciated.

30 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Appreciate everyone's feedback ... getting a little nervous that this thread is going to become a debate about what one OUGHT to wear, pack, etc.

What I am asking about as the OP is what people ARE wearing.  Your help in that department is appreciated.

And the answer is that on UK cruises, the majority wear a dinner jacket.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And the answer is that on UK cruises, the majority wear a dinner jacket.

In the United States, a “dinner jacket” equates to a white jacket with satin lapels.  Is this the reference?  Or are you referring to what we in the States would call a tuxedo, I.e., a black jacket with satin lapels and detailing?

I think the comment made earlier could also apply.  Whether the cruise is departing from Southampton for a European itinerary (lots of British passengers) or a round-trip, circle the British Isles itinerary (with a higher proportion of U.S. passengers).

Edited by loriva
Deleted erroneous bit.

13 minutes ago, loriva said:

In the United States, a “dinner jacket” equates to a white jacket with satin lapels.  Is this the reference?  Or are you referring to what we in the States would call a tuxedo, I.e., a black jacket with satin lapels and detailing?

I think the comment made earlier could also apply.  Whether the cruise is departing from Southampton for a European itinerary (lots of British passengers) or a round-trip, circle the British Isles itinerary (with a higher proportion of U.S. passengers).

Sorry, I should have said "tuxedo". Normally I take a black and a white tux with me.

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I am so happy for you that your super dressy things are lighter. Apparently, our scales are different than yours. The OP asked and many have answered.

Last cruise we went on was 12 days round trip Southampton.  I took two tuxedos and two jackets and wore these every evening.  My thinking behind this is that if you want to retrieve something from your pocket a jacket is preferable to a hunt in your trouser pockets.  Most of the people seemed to be smartly dressed but to be honest I did not notice anyone who stood out as a bit too casual. The new set up for dining tends to mean if you continuously share tables of eight, it is a random new set of different diners each evening.  The only way to have the same eight each night is to muster outside the restaurant and march in as a group. So unless you round up a few baseball hat people and Stetson wearers they are very unlikely to be on your table.

Regards John

I fully understand the reason for the poster's question.  If I wore a tux and I was surrounded by a group in casual clothing I would not feel too comfortable.

i would also be interested in the numbers of those in formal dress on cruises out of the UK this summer as we also have a cruise booked.  It has been widely reported that the dress code is simply a suggestion and not enforced.

I think it is important to know what will be the norm when it comes to dress so you can pack accordingly.  I was hoping that this thread was not going to be another dress code discussion but some people can't help themselves.

I will be looking forward to answers to the poster's question from those who will be sailing over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

We were on a British staycation last September and made the mistake of not realising that it was a formal evening and went into the MDR in my jeans, shirt and jumper. To say I felt extremely uncomfortable is an understatement as virtually all the other diners were in full evening dress or lounge suits with ties. 

I struggle to understand why some people worry if they might be overdressed.

My wife loves to dress up regardless of the suggested dress code so I try to compliment her attire. It’s a mutual respect thing!

It also gets me serious “brownie” points too😜

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charleyben said:

I fully understand the reason for the poster's question.  If I wore a tux and I was surrounded by a group in casual clothing I would not feel too comfortable.

i would also be interested in the numbers of those in formal dress on cruises out of the UK this summer as we also have a cruise booked.  It has been widely reported that the dress code is simply a suggestion and not enforced.

I think it is important to know what will be the norm when it comes to dress so you can pack accordingly.  I was hoping that this thread was not going to be another dress code discussion but some people can't help themselves.

I will be looking forward to answers to the poster's question from those who will be sailing over the next few weeks.

We are going out of Southampton on a 12 day British Isles cruise - Ireland, Scotland, England and a last stop at La Havre for Paris or Normandy.  What I italicized and bolded above is my hope. There's lot of places to discuss the dress code and what people should or shouldn't do and what you do in response to those awful/wonderful people who aren't/are doing it right.

This post is about gathering data not arguing or complaining.  What ARE people doing? What have you SEEN in your experience on this kind of cruise?  Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, jdacombe said:

We were on a British staycation last September and made the mistake of not realising that it was a formal evening and went into the MDR in my jeans, shirt and jumper. To say I felt extremely uncomfortable is an understatement as virtually all the other diners were in full evening dress or lounge suits with ties. 

They would be as it was a Staycation and only UK passengers were allowed onboard so therefore formal dress code would have been adhered to. Unfortunately when there is many US cruisers onboard the number dress in dinner suit/tuxedo drops and many dont even wear a jacket never mind a suit.