The Key Cancelled For Ovation of the Seas May 13-20, 2022 Sailing

Just received the following email:

Dear Guest,

We have an important change to share with you regarding your purchase of The Key.

As we continue to evaluate the program while returning it to service across our fleet, we regret to inform you we will be unable to offer The Key onboard Ovation of the Seas during your cruise and your reservation has been cancelled.

We know how much time and planning goes into a vacation, and we're very sorry for any inconvenience caused by this last-minute change. We've issued a full refund of The Key to your original form of payment, and you should see it reflected within 30 business days. On top of your refund, we're also providing you with a $50 USD non-refundable Onboard Credit per person to use anywhere onboard, such as in one of our Specialty Dining venues, in the Vitality Spa, and more!

Thank you for your understanding. We're wishing you a wonderful sailing and are looking forward to welcoming you onboard soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

• Like 1

I just got a cancellation for The Key for our upcoming cruise on May 15th on Quantum (to Alaska)?  Am I upset?  Yes!  Why would RCCL do this?  Is is just my group of 7 or are they cancelling across the board?  How will this impact our cruise experience (5 of us are new to RCCL)?  I think this was a bad move on their part.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Are you upset with this letter?  You do not mention or ask a question regarding this letter. Curious as to why you posted with no explanation.  

It is what it is; I purchased it and then RCCL cancelled it 16 days before the cruise.

It was posted for information purposes only since I do not want to get into another never ending discussion of whether the key purchase is worth it or not.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Mrsberri0909 said:

I just got a cancellation for The Key for our upcoming cruise on May 15th on Quantum (to Alaska)?  Am I upset?  Yes!  Why would RCCL do this?  Is is just my group of 7 or are they cancelling across the board?  How will this impact our cruise experience (5 of us are new to RCCL)?  I think this was a bad move on their part.

They canceled it across the board. 

• Like 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

They've canceled the Key for a lot of cruises since the restart.  There are rumors that Alaska cruises are only sailing at 50% to start, so that's likely part of it.

I would consider it a good trade for losing the key for 50% capacity 😁

• Like 4

The challenge is an internet package is just as much as what we purchase the The Key for originally.  I would have gotten the beverage and internet package back when it was $60 a day.  Now everything is much more expensive.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They've canceled the Key for a lot of cruises since the restart.  There are rumors that Alaska cruises are only sailing at 50% to start, so that's likely part of it.

Not to hijack this thread, but - can you point me to any further reading about the capacities being limited to 50%? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I got the same letter...and I am also upset because the Internet Packages are so much higher now that the "sale" is over on them.  The $50 OBC barely covers 3 days of internet ($18.99 day = $133 for 1 person 1 device).. it honestly isn't enough.  I don't know about them sailing at 50% because they are showing all balcony cabins sold out..

Also, I looked at my SeaPass and the Key is still on it and I don't have an OBC on my account.

28 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

Not to hijack this thread, but - can you point me to any further reading about the capacities being limited to 50%? Thanks in advance.

I would be interested in finding out where that information is coming from too as I am on Quantum soon and a TA is saying our sailing is 90% full.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

I'm interested too, I've been hearing that many AK sailings are going at close to full capacity.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bethipoo said:

I don't know about them sailing at 50% because they are showing all balcony cabins sold out..

They can also show sold out if a certain percentage offered (lower capacity) were all booked. 
I’m on the Ovation May 5 sailing, so I can check numbers then. 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry for those of you that have had your key cancelled.  Since COVID, cruising has been totally different with many cancellations and changes.  We were on the Ovation cruising Alaska for 4 weeks last year and had the best time and I am sure that you will too!  Happy sailing on a great ship in beautiful Alaska.  We saw the Northern Lights twice and it was really amazing.😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Big_G said:

Do they limit the number of Key purchases per sailing?

Assuming that when they are no longer for sale means they are limiting, yes. Pre COVID some have reported being told specific limits though not sure those apply now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bethipoo said:

I got the same letter...and I am also upset because the Internet Packages are so much higher now that the "sale" is over on them.  The $50 OBC barely covers 3 days of internet ($18.99 day = $133 for 1 person 1 device).. it honestly isn't enough.  I don't know about them sailing at 50% because they are showing all balcony cabins sold out..

Also, I looked at my SeaPass and the Key is still on it and I don't have an OBC on my account.

Are you sure $18.99 is the current pricing? Internet this week on Allure is up to $21.99 for surf and $26.99 for surf and stream for one device.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Are you sure $18.99 is the current pricing? Internet this week on Allure is up to $21.99 for surf and $26.99 for surf and stream for one device.

Pricing for each ship varies; for the May 13th Ovation of the Seas sailing as of this morning 1-device prices are $23.99 per day for Voom Surf + Stream and $18.99 per day for Voom Surf.

image.thumb.png.20c7796da2c39711ee00f4af8159423b.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rbdavis3951 said:

Pricing for each ship varies; for the May 13th Ovation of the Seas sailing as of this morning 1-device prices are $23.99 per day for Voom Surf + Stream and $18.99 per day for Voom Surf.

image.thumb.png.20c7796da2c39711ee00f4af8159423b.png

I was talking about on board pricing. I realize the cruise planner pricing is constantly changing.

• Thanks 1