I am always a little anxious- till I actually am checked in and waiting to get on ship!

oldmom

Am I the only one? I am always a little nervous till I get in the terminal and am sitting down waiting to get on the ship! I worry about traffic and car trouble to the port-but we go down the day before because of this. I worry till I get checked in and every thing is a go. This is our first cruise since COVID- so now I get to worry about the COVID test. We are doing the EMED test this Friday, cruise on Sunday. I know it is STUPID - but?

• Like 13

ME TOO!!  Even before Covid, I'd be a bit nervous. We also haven't flown anywhere since June 2016 (pre-Covid) and before that, it was June 2011 (pre-9/11) so I'm nervous about the flights too. Not nervous about flying, just nervous about getting through security in time, etc. 

Bon voyage!

• Like 1

Mine is in steps....On the road to airport (closest is a 2 hour drive)...checked, arrive at airport, checked..  On plane...checked,

checked into night- before- cruise hotel..checked, transportation to port..checked, in cruise terminal  with paperwork..checked, paperwork approved and good to board..checked, THEN on the ship.....all anxiety is gone 🙂

• Like 5

Same, even before Covid I was always worried that something would go wrong. When I sailed on Scarlet Lady  in January they did a rapid test at the pier. Forty five minutes after my husband received his results I was still waiting. The woman working kept going to check on them. My anxiety was through the roof. LOL

• Like 3

Before I retired, I didn’t relax until the ship was actually moving and there would be nothing I could do if notified of a work emergency.  Now that I am retired, just being on board is enough for me.

There was a huge traffic jam due due an accident on I-75 yesterday afternoon on our way home from Orlando (took 90 minutes to go 13 miles).  I kept thinking about how nervous I would be if that happened on the way to a cruise.

• Like 1

I don't really get "anxious" in terms of worrying, but I am in terms of obsessing over planning things.  I check prices every day for better deals and read almost every post on CC to make sure I am prepared and don't miss anything.  I tend to give myself plenty of time to compensate for the unexpected, like traffic or other issues.  Of course if something totally out of the realm of my planning happens, like being stuck on a freeway for 6 hours due to a massive crash with multiple deaths (which has happened, though luckily not on the way out, but on the way home), then I have insurance and I'll just get to plan another cruise!

• Like 1

Oh gosh, you are not the only one.   In the last few days I have been in knots worrying about the Covid test tomorrow for our Sunday trip.   I don't know why because I don't have any symptoms or feel bad at all - except for an overactive mind going crazy.  But, like you, things will be all right when we are on the ship having a relaxing drink.  

Good luck with your Covid test and have a good trip.  

• Like 3

Know exactly how you feel.

My panics before our most recent cruise were

Having a negative test result before international flight.

Not being able to check in for flight till we reached airport.

Finding airport hotel

Getting to the airport packing place.

Checking in with so much paperwork.

(Negative result, Attestation form, Vaccine certificates)

Arriving in USA worrying paperwork wasn’t correct.

Finding the Lab Doctor for pre cruise Antigen test.

Worrying how long result would take, and praying it would be negative.

Concern that our Green Lane had changed to Yellow lane when doing health check in form.

Delay at Terminal 2 as ship had been delayed docking.

Finally embarked..and breathed !!!!!

• Haha 1

Glad to know I'm not alone! We have so many accidents on I-95 in South Georgia that backs up traffic /closes interstate. We have insurance to cover the trip so it isn't about the money. I have found that I worry more about "what if's " as I have gotten older. Once we get checked in I am fine. It has been 3 years-so we are both ready! Happy 32 year anniversary cruise-30th was cancelled when cruises stopped.

• Like 1

We fly from the north in the winter, my worry ends once the plane is in the air. Air travel and winter storms are the parts I can least control. Everything else can be fixed, although expense might be involved. 

Well, I guess I'm not alone in stressing and getting anxious!  I over think about packing.  Am I missing something, do I need extra, what if a shoelace breaks? Lol, I try to cover all of the bases.  My medicine bag has something for all known ailments to man.  I check our passport and now vaccine cards multiple times before we leave the driveway. We get our covid test while on the road.  I always have a backup location in case something goes wrong.  We never drive in on the day of a cruise, even if the port is only a couple of hours away.  I don't want to chance being stuck in traffic or having a flat tire.  I always have this feeling that something wrong is going to happen.  Truth be told, I have had most of these things happen to me at one time or another and I am just trying to prevent it from happening again. You would think that cruising wouldn't be worth it, but oh what a wonderful feeling when you are all checked in and waiting to board!

• Like 1

You are "My People"!!!!! I stress so much that I drive my DH crazy!🥴 The new Covid testing has me worried sick, even though we won't be cruising until Oct. We have close friends who have cruised extensively, as recently as last month. They have absolutely no worries and generally their cruises/trips have all been successful. Do I wish I could be like them.....you bet!! Now I wonder what the pre-cruise testing will be like in Oct. and if any new Covid variants will cause the cruising industry to suffer once again????

• Like 2

Me too.  We are on Mariner in a little over a week.  I know I’m driving DH crazy.  Yesterday I went over my mental flowchart of “what if’s”.  If DS tests positive early Thursday then…..  Today I went through what gets done when next week (mail hold, at home pre-test, cleaning, laundry, etc.). Luckily, after 47 years he’s used to it.  The minute we are through check in I breathe a BIG sigh of relief.

2 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

the negative test is the biggest stressor... i started to take a home test first, before the proctored one. cause if my home test is positive, i won't waste the e-med version. and if it's negative, i know i have nothing to worry about.

Yes, I agree and if you take one at home 72 hours, you can still cancel under CWC (for now at least).

and a NAAT will show if any covid still lingers even though you are not currently ill.  That can keep you off the ship.  So Antigen tests are ones we like since they might let the lingering stuff slip through.

I mean if we have recovered then forget the lingering stuff.

I agree about all pre cruising issues:  testing, packing, locking up holding mail, drive to airport, parking,

getting checked in, passing security checkpoint and lastly seeing the ON TIME sign for my flight.

Then getting off plane, finding luggage, getting to hotel for night stay.  Then trying to fall asleep in strange be and getting checked out of hotel and getting to the ship.  Going through security and checkpoints.  Then on ship, muster, sign up for shows (ya can not do at home yet).

Geezzzz.  when I finally land in my room and say Ahhhhhhhhh,  I am here.

• Haha 1