Anyone postponing 2nd booster until closer to cruise?

Jazzbo

My wife and I have had a similar conversations and have spoken to our Dr. as well.  Our final decision was to get second booster now for a few reasons.

First, VT is getting hit hard right now and it's been over 6 months since our first booster.  So, I don't think the risk of waiting is worth it.  Also, getting boosted now might allow us to get any new vaccine or booster before our cruise in October.   I've been reading that some of these new variants may require a different vaccination. 

Also, there is a a second risk to waiting.  Celebrity requires a boost or full vaccination within 270  day of sailing.  But,  a person who catches covid is not supposed to get a booster for 90 days after recovery and I do think you need to add in the 14 days after the shot.   So what if you wait and catch Covid in the 15 or 16 weeks prior to your  cruise?  You would be ineligible to be boosted and outside the 270 day period for vaccination.   This is a major consideration. 

Edited by capecodmercury
Typos

2 hours ago, capecodmercury said:

You would be ineligible to be boosted and outside the 270 day period for vaccination.   This is a major consideration. 

I have read that, in the US anyway, the rules have changed. You can receive a booster as soon as you recover from Covid. 

3 hours ago, MDTrip said:

I have read that, in the US anyway, the rules have changed. You can receive a booster as soon as you recover from Covid. 

It may depend on how serious the case was.  You are correct that CDC has changed their recommendation (I missed that).  But in looking at CDC now, there still is a 90 day wait if you get a serious case that had to be treated with monoclonal antibodies. 

I've also gone back to check the Celebrity website on that 270 day limit to be considered "up to date".  This might be a European Union requirement.  I'm not seeing it listed in the US travel requirements. Which may be good since CDC still has some restrictions on who can get second booster. 

One thing this has shown me.  You need to stay up to date on the rules and check rules for every country you are visiting (or 3mbarking at).  They seem to change often.

I have just read the latest requirements from Celebrity. I am booked on a Southampton cruise in Oct this year and had 1st booster in Oct 2021. I am not eligible for a 2nd booster. Seems whatever you need to have a PCR test within 2 days of travel because by definition I am not "up to date" or "fully vaccinated"

We (spouse and I) have made the decision so far to get vaccines and boosters as soon as we become eligible for them. Currently 2nd boosted with Moderna. We have an October cruise on X Infinity. If we are eligible for 3rd or combo COVID / Flu prior to sailing, we'll do that. If not, we would still be considered fully vaxxed, or we would hope to be considered such.

As the rules for travel are subject to change, we have chosen not to use those as guides for when to get vaxxed and boosted. We do it immediately upon eligibility and availabilty.

Edited by CruiseMrB

4 hours ago, spendless said:

I have just read the latest requirements from Celebrity. I am booked on a Southampton cruise in Oct this year and had 1st booster in Oct 2021. I am not eligible for a 2nd booster. Seems whatever you need to have a PCR test within 2 days of travel because by definition I am not "up to date" or "fully vaccinated"

You are considered up to date with a booster no matter when it was administered. The 270 days limit is only for people who have not been given a booster.

This is from the Celebrity website today:

*European definition of Up to Date: vaccinated within 9 months (270 days) of final dose in primary series OR at least 1 booster shot. The 270 days must extend to the final day of the cruise. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

Edited by terrydtx

On 5/7/2022 at 6:39 AM, TeeRick said:

With all due respect, why would you listen to hearsay medical advice from others on CC about what their doctors said?  How do you know they are reporting it correctly?  It is important that you follow your own trusted doctor's advice IMO.  Posting what your doctor said to you for your personal medical situation is not helpful to those here.  Sorry.  I know you are trying to be helpful but this can be misinformation for some here that might do the wrong thing for themselves.

Exactly correct.  With a 2nd booster recommended for those over 70 or with health issues we visited our doctor.  They suggested my wife receive her booster in July before our trip overseas in August.   He suggested I wait until fall.  Every person is different. 

4 hours ago, spendless said:

A negative test as of yesterday was required for all passengers except very youg children to board a cruise ship.  Many countries have different rules.  No test if fully vaccinated (no booster required) for Canada if driving, but testing for flying.

Wouldn't do any good! Someone I know got the second booster shot and STILL ended up with covid!!
Somewhere somehow this testing has got to stop or eventually no one will be cruising because they were denied boarding because they tested positive for covid,Covid is here to stay and isn't going away any time soon! Cruiselines won't be able to take the hit much longer refunding people's money with so many people getting covid now!!!! JMO

• Like 1

It is probably a good idea if you do catch Covid even though you had a booster shot is to follow it up with a PCR test from Walgreen CVA or even a proctored home test. That way you will have written documentation as to when you had it and can get a certificate of recovery either from your own doc or elsewhere after ten days. That’s what we did.  

On 5/7/2022 at 9:17 AM, deliver42 said:

The cruise lines, I believe, require the last shot to be at least 14 days before sailing.

If you read closely they 14 day is from the last shot of the initial series and there is no requirement or time frame related to either the 1st or 2nd Booster.   Some countries have some restrictions about booster if you send shot of the initial series is over a certain number of days.

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

We will receive our second booster on July 28 for our August 19 Summit cruise

I'm going to figure out when we will take our 2nd booster after we get home next week.     I would also like to have the booster before our Summit cruises. 

We just got our second boosters yesterday.  It was near 7 months from the first one.  Our cruise is in August.  Not  recommending a timeline.  This is just what we did as we have to travel to my nephew's wedding in MA in 2 weeks.  There are factors other than cruises!😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

A negative test as of yesterday was required for all passengers except very youg children to board a cruise ship.  Many countries have different rules.  No test if fully vaccinated (no booster required) for Canada if driving, but testing for flying.

I may have misunderstood your post, but there is no current pre-entry testing requirement for fully vaccinated travellers to Canada, no matter what the mode of transport. There is, however, a small random testing program for flyers to track the importation of COVID-19 virus into Canada and to identify new variants of concern. Those selected will either be tested on site or provided a self-test kit to be used within 24 hours, with no need to isolate while waiting for results.

• Like 1