HAL Pan Pacific Pre Cruise Package-What exactly is included?

steve4031

I am curious about what exactly is included in this package.  I believe it includes assistance in getting our luggage from our room to the ship.  I am not clear if it includes breakfast or breakfast and dinner.  If meals were also included it might be worth while for me.  If not I will stay with my current arrangements.  

Has anyone ever done this?

Thank you

We have done this more than once but we upgrade to the "Club" floor which includes

evening happy hour drinks with hot and cold hors d'oeuvres.  This is all we need at the end of our travel day.  If I remember correctly, in the morning the "Club" has what I'd call a deluxe continental breakfast: coffee/teas juices, eggs, (hard boiled or scrambled), bacon and sausage, bagels, toast (golly, that's enough).

The use of the word "assistance" for luggage is an understatement.  You just leave your check bags (with HAL tags on them) in your room when you check out (or head to breakfast).  You won't see them again until you enter your cabin on the ship.  Do make sure you have all your documents and whatever else you need for boarding in the bag you carry with you.  You WILL feel quite spoiled.  Safe travels!

Edited by AZNative2000
spell check error
  • Like 4

They are great about taking the bags to the ship from your room.  We were on a HAL deal and the bellhop would not even take a tip from me for doing this!  He stated that it was part of the HAL package.  Quite a surprise.  Not sure if this applies to the hotel package, so I would ask.

• Like 1

The cruise package booked through the hotel only includes breakfast, not dinner.  https://www.panpacific.com/en/hotels-and-resorts/pp-vancouver/offers/alaska-cruise-package.html

I can't speak to the hotel package booked through HAL but you should be able to arrange for the luggage service yourself.  It's been awhile since I've done this but I recall calling the bell desk to make the arrangement and providing a tip for the service.  We had to be in the room when the luggage was picked up so they could ask questions, particularly about keeping your important documents out of the luggage they're taking. 

The one time I had the hotel cruise package, the breakfast was a buffet but that looks like it's changed now, probably due to Covid.  I would look at the menu and see if the higher cost of the promotion is worth the meal to you.  They also no longer allow for late checkout which came in handy on a three ship day.  The free wifi can be had if you join the Pan Pacific loyalty program.  And anyone can use the elevator to the cruise ship level.

I did the cruise promo once and found the extra cost wasn't worth it for us.  I've stayed there a few more times but without the package.  YMMV

You go down the main elevator, from your room, to the hotel lobby, walk around a corner to the elevator to the cruise ship level and then it's a few hundred metres to the terminal; it's a bit of a roundabout route as you'll need to stay on the pathway (sidewalk?) to avoid vehicles dropping off/picking up passengers.

The menu is at this link:  https://www.panpacific.com/en/hotels-and-resorts/pp-vancouver/dining/oceans-999.html  Ranges from $21 - $27 for breakfast entrees.  But you could go across the street (underground) to the little food court and go to Tim Horton's for a bagel/muffin/donut.  That would be a lot less expensive!  Not as good, mind you.

• Like 3

I did this package once and did not have a good experience at all. The hotel was packed and I was put on the Club level but told I absolutely did not have Club privileges so not to even try to go in there. I thought that was pretty rude. Also the room I received did not overlook the water as expected from the experiences I read of others but had a view of the trin train tracks. I tried to have dinner at the hotel but after waiting 20 minutes; I was not even acknowledged so left. I don't know if breakfast was included but after the previous evening's experience I walked across the street to the Hilton and had a marvelous breakfast and was treated very well.

The front desk had no idea where the HAL representative's table was. Really? I don't think this was the first time HAL had put guests there. I finally found it after checking every level and told the woman I was there which I was supposed to do to get the luggage delivery.

The one positive of the experience was the luggage pick up from my room and delivery to my cabin. I had also been told that someone would walk me to the ship but that did not happen. And it is easy to get to the ship.

In the past, I have stayed at the Marriott and walked over. Much better IMO

I think I will stick with my free room at the Hyatt.  I am using points.  If it was half as much it might be ok.  But 800 dollars US is a bit high. Might have been worth it if dinner and breakfast were included as well as a transfer from the airport.  

Thank you.  

• Like 1

Hmm. I needed an ADA room, so I called and booked it (since I could not find that on their website) and told them I was staying before and after the cruise, but they did not mention that I needed a special "cruise package" - does that mean I will have to handle my own luggage, if I do not have the package?

We have stayed there several times.  When we checked in,  he noticed that we had stayed there before.  I asked if an upgrade was available that looked out over the harbor.  He said sure.  When we arrived in our room, it was huge.  We had a corner suite that looked over the harbor.  Needles to say, we certainly enjoyed our overnight stay.

2 hours ago, five. said:

Hmm. I needed an ADA room, so I called and booked it (since I could not find that on their website) and told them I was staying before and after the cruise, but they did not mention that I needed a special "cruise package" - does that mean I will have to handle my own luggage, if I do not have the package?

You do not "need" a cruise package.  All it really is is a group of amenities bundled together for a higher price.  But as pointed out in my earlier posts, you can get free wifi by joining the loyalty program, you might be able to book the luggage service on your own (I just don't know if that has changed in recent years) and you can buy breakfast on your own, either at the same restaurant or at Timmie's across the street (or elsewhere).  It really depends on how much you value the convenience of them doing it for you and if you're willing to pay for it.  

4 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I did this package once and did not have a good experience at all. The hotel was packed and I was put on the Club level but told I absolutely did not have Club privileges so not to even try to go in there. I thought that was pretty rude. Also the room I received did not overlook the water as expected from the experiences I read of others but had a view of the trin train tracks. I tried to have dinner at the hotel but after waiting 20 minutes; I was not even acknowledged so left. I don't know if breakfast was included but after the previous evening's experience I walked across the street to the Hilton and had a marvelous breakfast and was treated very well.

The front desk had no idea where the HAL representative's table was. Really? I don't think this was the first time HAL had put guests there. I finally found it after checking every level and told the woman I was there which I was supposed to do to get the luggage delivery.

The one positive of the experience was the luggage pick up from my room and delivery to my cabin. I had also been told that someone would walk me to the ship but that did not happen. And it is easy to get to the ship.

In the past, I have stayed at the Marriott and walked over. Much better IMO

That is crazy, even worse because the price is so high.

4 hours ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

We have stayed there several times.  When we checked in,  he noticed that we had stayed there before.  I asked if an upgrade was available that looked out over the harbor.  He said sure.

I experienced the same recognition as a past guest.  I have booked the Pan Pacific both as a HAL Hotel package as separately.  I was pleasantly surprised with that recognition, but, did not have the presence of mind to request an upgraded room.  

The room that I enjoyed the most was the night my room overlooked the pier where the Volendam docked in the early morning after returning from dry dock before the start of my Asia Pacific Cruise.  Looking out of my room's window with fog swirling over the ship with her lights lit only enhanced my anticipation for that cruise.  

Pan Pacific's beverage and food services have always been consistently excellent in my opinion.  

I stayed on a club floor twice pre covid and enjoyed it very much.  The included breakfast was more than enough for me and frankly, the evening hors d'oeuvres were even plenty for dinner for me!  The bell man brought my bags down to the ship and yes, he did accept a tip!  I didn't purchase a "package", only a Club Floor room overlooking the Nieuw Amsterdam docked right below me.  I believe that they may offer the luggage transfer even without the Club Floor room. 

UPDATE:  I just called the hotel and they said that any room (non-Club also) they will deliver the luggage to the ship for no charge...."on a gratuity basis"!   So, it's from the horse's mouth!!  No charge!

Have fun!

~Nancy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

you can get free wifi by joining the loyalty program, you might be able to book the luggage service on your own (I just don't know if that has changed in recent years) and you can buy breakfast on your own

Thanks. They did ask about breakfast, so we are doing that pre-cruise, but not post-cruise, because we leave before it's available to be at the airport on time. I foolishly thought wifi would be free, I am used to cheaper hotels that just include that at no charge. I'll look into the loyalty program, thanks for the tip. And it sounds like you can just tip a porter to take care of the luggage to the ship. That will be super useful as we have two mobility scooters in the mix.

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

UPDATE:  I just called the hotel and they said that any room (non-Club also) they will deliver the luggage to the ship for no charge...."on a gratuity basis"!   So, it's from the horse's mouth!!  No charge!

Thanks for getting and sharing that info.  I knew the PP would do that in the past, pre-Covid, for any room, even the ones we booked individually.  I'm glad they are still doing it.

I'm still shocked when big/expensive hotels charge for internet!!! It's a matter of principle. As mentioned, even little mom and pop motels and one-star chains give free internet.  Don't even get me started on "Resort Fees"!!  🙄

As @Alberta Quiltersuggested, I have also learned to just join any hotel's "Loyalty" program to get the internet included at no extra charge.  It costs nothing to join, so why not?  I now belong to many obscure programs around the world that I may never use again, but hey, I got the "free" internet!! 

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

They probably recognize people because how many people will pay $800 for a hotel room? List has to be short 😛😊🤪😏.  I like me a nice hotel room but that borders on ridiculous.  Yes I’m familiar with the hotel.

I have NEVER paid anything close to that figure for a room at the Pan Pacific.  If one can afford an Alaskan cruise, one can afford a night's stay at a premier hotel that will prepare them for a cruise that they will remember.  Including, their hotel stay.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

For rooms in late September this year a Harbor room at member rate is about $540 including taxes!  All hotels have skyrocketed in the last couple of months. About $70 per night taxes. Screen shot just now.

image.thumb.png.9a8d32872479ee22b8028757df318859.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have NEVER paid anything close to that figure for a room at the Pan Pacific.  If one can afford an Alaskan cruise, one can afford a night's stay at a premier hotel that will prepare them for a cruise that they will remember.  Including, their hotel stay.  

No.  There is no way I’d pay $800.  If I were to get a stupid cheap deal this summer on an Alaskan cruise I think I’d roll the dice and fly in the same day.  I’m reasonably close and there are many flights per day to Vancouver.  If I miss the cruise I miss the cruise.  I’m not paying $800 or anything close to that.  

6 minutes ago, oakridger said:

For rooms in late September this year a Harbor room at member rate is about $540 including taxes!  All hotels have skyrocketed in the last couple of months. About $70 per night taxes. Screen shot just now.

image.thumb.png.9a8d32872479ee22b8028757df318859.png

$540 cdn is at least $700 cdn.  I hope they sill empty for that.

We booked 2 nights (Fri and Sat) at the Pan Pacific thru HAL and it's only $450 a night so not sure where the $800/night is coming from. And that price includes transfers from the airport. I checked before booking it months ago and it was about the same price as if I did it directly with the hotel. So seemed easier and more convenient for US to go this way but may not be worth it for others. Luckily we can all choose what works best for ourselves.

7 minutes ago, SharonN said:

We booked 2 nights (Fri and Sat) at the Pan Pacific thru HAL and it's only $450 a night so not sure where the $800/night is coming from. And that price includes transfers from the airport. I checked before booking it months ago and it was about the same price as if I did it directly with the hotel. So seemed easier and more convenient for US to go this way but may not be worth it for others. Luckily we can all choose what works best for ourselves.

Why would people lie about it?  Just for giggles I tried a couple dates in may and June Friday to Sunday for check out.  Finally found something in June for $540 cdn.  That is still ridiculous.  Maybe some people are not made of money and $450 usd isn’t chump change.  If it works for you great but no way I’d pay it.