Any predictions on the end to pre-cruise virus testing for US departures?

It seems as though more and more requirements are being eased for cruise travel in the US, but I haven't seen any speculation at all on pre-cruise COVID tests being dropped. Not looking for discussion about if it should or should not be lifted, but just wondered if anyone had seen any information on a timeline?

• Like 1

I don't think the cruise industry will change the testing requirement until the US border restrictions lift their testing requirement to enter the country.

I am hoping for August 30th as I am cruising early September.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

It seems as though more and more requirements are being eased for cruise travel in the US, but I haven't seen any speculation at all on pre-cruise COVID tests being dropped. Not looking for discussion about if it should or should not be lifted, but just wondered if anyone had seen any information on a timeline?

Here are some thoughts from Scott Gottlieb.  Per this article he thinks vaccines will continue to be required through next spring, and testing for some additional time after the vaccination requirement goes away:

https://cruise.blog/2022/04/former-fda-chief-talks-when-vaccine-requirement-cruise-ships-might-end

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

I don't think the cruise industry will change the testing requirement until the US border restrictions lift their testing requirement to enter the country.

I doubt the U.S will ever lift the testing requirements at least not for non U.S citizens.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

To clarify, I believe the testing requirement only applies to flying into the US? AFAIK if someone is driving down there is no need for a test, only proof of vaccination?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

To clarify, I believe the testing requirement only applies to flying into the US? AFAIK if someone is driving down there is no need for a test, only proof of vaccination?

And the same goes for US into Canada. I saw recently that major league baseball teams going to Toronto are flying into Buffalo and then taking buses to Toronto rather than flying to avoid the testing.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I doubt the U.S will ever lift the testing requirements at least not for non U.S citizens.

They are already lifted if you drive/train across the border, they are only required if you fly. Next logical step, IMO, would be to do away with the Antigen test when flying but require people to be fully vaccinated as lots of other countries are starting to do.

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

This is only partially correct. It is a common misunderstanding that a vaccination is required of US citizens. Vaccination is not required for US citizens returning regardless of transport.

When returning by air you are only required to show a negative test or document of recovery. When returning to the usa via land or ferry nothing is required (no vaccination/no test... wide open boarder).

image.png.0004650e9b804d6b391569c15402ec05.png

From the department of homeland security:

image.png.d20541aae783250d18e3a16fe8f83367.png

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/frequently-asked-questions-guidance-travelers-enter-us

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Seeing as how the federal government is predicting about 100 million Americans will contract Covid-19 next fall and winter, I don’t think the cruise industry will end its testing and vaccination requirements anytime soon.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

Here are some thoughts from Scott Gottlieb.  Per this article he thinks vaccines will continue to be required through next spring, and testing for some additional time after the vaccination requirement goes away:

https://cruise.blog/2022/04/former-fda-chief-talks-when-vaccine-requirement-cruise-ships-might-end

I have seen  this article quoted numerous times and the wrong conclusions drawn from the incomplete information in this article.

What Dr Gottlieb said (and it is easy to google and find the complete statement) was that the requirements will continue through the winter of 2022-2023, an evaluation will be made in the spring of 2023, and decision will be made then about the continuation of the requirements of vaccines and testing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Seeing as how the federal government is predicting about 100 million Americans will contract Covid-19 next fall and winter, I don’t think the cruise industry will end its testing and vaccination requirements anytime soon.  

Currently there are more people admitted into University of Michigan Hospital for covid who are vaccinated and boosted than there are who are unvaccinated.

The actual predictor of hospitalization from covid is comorbidity. If cruise ships really wanted to keep their ships free from possible serious covid illness, they need tp prevent everyone who has a comorbidity from boarding (and we all know that will never happen because that includes everyone over 65). 

https://www.uofmhealth.org/coronavirus/covid19-numbers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I have seen  this article quoted numerous times and the wrong conclusions drawn from the incomplete information in this article.

What Dr Gottlieb said (and it is easy to google and find the complete statement) was that the requirements will continue through the winter of 2022-2023, an evaluation will be made in the spring of 2023, and decision will be made then about the continuation of the requirements of vaccines and testing.

What wrong conclusions did I draw?  I said 'through next spring.'  That does not mean ending in the spring.

Edited by Karaboudjan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

What wrong conclusions did I draw?  I said 'through next spring.'  That does not mean ending in the spring.

FWIW: You did not draw any wrong conclusions. He responded similar when I posted the sane link last month. It makes no sense at all, but I did get a giggle because I wasn't the only one @Homosassawas confused by 🙂 🙂 🙂 

All these COVID threads (and there wayyyyy too many) bring out the Junior Epidemiologists and result in no conclusions or useable information.

But they do help fill the days until we cruise again!! 😉😎👍

• Like 2

I am in Europe for work right now and we have to test to fly back to the US. If vaccinated, you can take an antigen test--if not vaccinated a PCR. 

I started this trip thinking this would be a total annoyance. But 4 colleagues came down with COVID this week so I can see the benefits of pre-flight testing. Fortunately, I am negative and can go home tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:04 PM, Shellbelle28 said:

Hopefully never. The last thing you want is an outbreak on a ship. That impacts everyone’s cruise, not just the infected person. And if an outbreak includes crew (which it always does) you impact future voyages.