On Allure Now And I Got Covid So Now What?

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have wondered the same as we have been sailing out Cape Liberty, NJ the past couple of months and hardly any cases on Anthem or Oasis that just starting summer sailings here.   Same for Baltimore Enchantment.   

All of the ships (including Anthem and Enchantment) have been yellow and mostly orange on the CDC list, meaning they've had cases - they just don't make the CC "news" cycle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Since we live so close I don’t think Royal will get us home.

I'd say the opposite - I would assume that they would probably just use one of the vehicles they use to take people to the car rental place (other people's experience with catching covid onboard) to take you home instead.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Lately it seems most of the Ubers we have been taking have been wearing masks, but not all. A few even with the KN95 masks. Royal did leave 2 KN95 masks in this room the are prepackaged. 

Hope that you’re feeling better this morning and your husband is still testing negative. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

All of the ships (including Anthem and Enchantment) have been yellow and mostly orange on the CDC list, meaning they've had cases - they just don't make the CC "news" cycle.

Liberty stayed green the week of dec 12 to 19 when others were yelling. We watched the site.

I looked at the link and maybe by now grandeur is on the cdc list but it wasnt listed before perhaps because it was out of Barbados not the USA.  If we had a outbreak I think we would hear of it and the diamond guy would have heard. 

Not sure i buy your theory that people who do the most complaining are out of florida, we just dont hear about the other ships. I'll keep reading but that's just my running common thread I've noticed. 

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Covid cases were up on Cruise Ships during Omicron surge WITH Masks required. 

Sure it was up when Omicron first came out but the issue now it is worse now and there are many more new cases.

2 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

I avoided the 70’s party last night 

73F690A8-FD4F-4CCC-A13A-CD7E4A477348.jpeg

Don't blame you for that. I'm sure some of those people in that crowd may have your same thoughts in a few days.

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Damn the torpedoes  😉 

It's pretty much a given now, step onto a ship, step into a petri dish. 

Sailing next weekend BTW  !!

Tom

Good Luck !

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I personally do not see masks mandates returning for land or sea. 

Be nice to be the first cruise line to bring the masks back for just a little more time until this current surge slows down. Would be a good customer relationship thing to do for now to show just how much the cruise line cares about their customers. It would be refreshing to see them act like that. Would gain a lot of respect from me and others.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasRon said:

We don’t have any meaningful statistics on actual Covid counts on any ship at any time…people are tested once prior to boarding and that is it unless they feel bad and get tested again...

The CDC probably has a good idea. As you will recall, the CDC issued the "Don't Cruise" advisory in late December. Cases exploded in January.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Sure it was up when Omicron first came out but the issue now it is worse now and there are many more new cases.

Don't blame you for that. I'm sure some of those people in that crowd may have your same thoughts in a few days.

Good Luck !

Be nice to be the first cruise line to bring the masks back for just a little more time until this current surge slows down. Would be a good customer relationship thing to do for now to show just how much the cruise line cares about their customers. It would be refreshing to see them act like that. Would gain a lot of respect from me and others.

Does it make any sense though? When will the masking ever end then and this all just be treated like every other illness? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

The CDC probably has a good idea. As you will recall, the CDC issued the "Don't Cruise" advisory in late December. Cases exploded in January.

I think as symptoms have grown less severe for most, reporting has become far less accurate.  A lot of people get Covid and never get tested for one reason or another…no symptoms, non-specific to Covid combinations of symptoms, or ignoring symptoms.

Them having statistics without releasing them is useless for the purposes of making personal decisions on cruising or doing other things. 

14 hours ago, PaulS said:

Others who contracted COVID have reported that they were driven to either a quarantine hotel or a rental car agency, so I would guess that they would have you driven home if you live so close to the port.

They might have but I didn’t talk to them yet. They called Mike this morning and asked about our plans to get home. He told them he would be going home and then come back to get me. He said they weren’t able to give him a time of when I might be getting off the ship. I really wished he would have waited until he was tested for the last time to see if he still tests negative. If does end up testing positive I’ll be the one calling GS and talking to them.😃

14 hours ago, doppelganger2621 said:

I had basically a month-long sinus infection in March. Tested four times for COVID, all of them negative. I agree, lots of nasty non-COVID illnesses going around right now. My region of the country seems to be battling a norovirus-type illness right now.

Glad you tested negative.

14 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

I'm sorry that you contracted Covid. One thing that baffles me. Another cruiser on a different Royal ship said his wife contracted covid and although she was moved and quarantined, her husband was allowed to roam the ship with no limitations. 

Not sure why there are differences between the different ships. He has to wear a mask and eat in the cabin, but at least he can go out and about.

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Glad to hear you are doing OK.   If Mike has to eat in his cabin I guess he isn't allowed to drink at a bar either?   Must be a wierd solo cruise for him.

I asked about the drinking. He thought he could because he was thinking the eating part was about sitting close to others. He was think this as long as he stayed away from others, but hasn’t had any drinks.

14 minutes ago, TexasRon said:

Them having statistics without releasing them is useless for the purposes of making personal decisions on cruising or doing other things. 

Plenty of clues. The CDC has a color code for ship status. Currently, just ten passenger-carrying ships are green status. That tells you the scope of the problem.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

From time to time, the ships issue a testing or mask mandate. That tells you the depth of the problem on that ship. In addition, there's the FB pages where pax report their cases.

13 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Thank God, just saw my neighbor and he’s ok!

That’s great to hear. 

8 hours ago, Ryalie1 said:

@ReneeFLL Did you order this - I'm waiting to hear if your tea order went better than ours 😂

I hope you're feeling ok tonight. 

No, but I did order some soup. It wasn’t good, but it did come in a soup container so I was disappointed it wasn’t in a coffee cup. It would have been more to post about. 😄 I do plan on posting pictures of my dinner because it was horrible and I can eat just about anything. I’ll order some tea today for lunch.

How are you feeling? Hope you and your hubby are getting better.

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Damn the torpedoes  😉 

It's pretty much a given now, step onto a ship, step into a petri dish. 

Sailing next weekend BTW  !!

Tom

Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

…In Renee's situation, maybe b2bers should still be tested so they don't end up in quarantine on day 2 or 3 of their sailing.   But maybe b2bers want to self test on their last full day to know ahead of their next sailing.

I thought it was a dumb idea to stop testing b2b people but I’m sure they did that to save money. It doesn’t make sense because people just getting on the ship had to test negative within 2 days of the cruise. Next time I do a b2b I’ll test myself between cruises even if I don’t have symptoms. 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, TexasRon said:

We don’t have any meaningful statistics on actual Covid counts on any ship at any time…people are tested once prior to boarding and that is it unless they feel bad and get tested again.  Those cute little color charts are nice, but the only way to actually know how many are infected is to test every person onboard every day.  That would still not be perfect; some may not have enough infection to test positive until after they leave the ship…but still could be infected.

We also have more cruising now, people who could be more prone to infection joining cruises, spikes in Covid, etc.  Lots of people caught Covid while following masking policies.

Wear a mask.  Don’t wear a mask.  Cruise.  Stay in lockdown.  Get a shot as often as possible.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect solution. Just do you!

Very good points. There are way to many variables to get 100% true statistics. Btw, I was born and raised in CC.

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Hope that you’re feeling better this morning and your husband is still testing negative. 

He didn’t hear back about his test from yesterday so he must still be negative. I’m sure they would have been knocking on his door if he was positive. I’m feeling much better today thanks.

3 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

I avoided the 70’s party last night 

73F690A8-FD4F-4CCC-A13A-CD7E4A477348.jpeg

Wise choice, but that would have been a good time for my jail break when everyone was busy. 😁 🥂 Hope you are enjoying your cruise. I’m feeling better so I might order a cocktail tonight.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Good Luck !

Have you been talking to Ace?

• Haha 12

The room service has been mostly decent until last night. I waited to long to order from the MDR and they were already closed. I ordered a Philly cheese steak sandwich and chicken soup from RS. The sandwich and soup was terrible. The meat was dry and the bread was hard. The soup didn't have much taste. There were some noodles and veggies in it. There was a veggie that was cut in lengths like a french fry but about the same thickness as the noodles. I wasn't even sure what kind of veggie it was. It was undercooked as were the noodles. It was hard for me to tell which were the noodles and which was the veggies.

I think the chicken had been cooked before and not actually in the soup so the soup lacked flavor. I ended up eating some of the meat and some of the soup and I can eat almost anything. There was also something that I think was some sauce. I tasted it twice and still couldn't figure out what it was. It didn't taste bad but was clueless about it. Maybe someone on here knows what it was? The Royal hamburgers I was having before were much better ad tasted pretty good. 

20220511_213326.jpg

20220511_213104.jpg

20220511_213016.jpg

20220511_213005.jpg

20220511_212956.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Good Luck !

It made sense (and no one was happier than me) to remove mask mandate (except in port embarkation) when numbers were down dramatically mid Feb, now that they are way up again, it would make sense to reinstate and not to loosen vaccine requirements IMO. It is tiresome when people look at this as an “all or nothing” thing and make it anything but a health issue which is fluid and restrictions should be as well. There is plenty of medically based evidence that masks work in cutting down spread and vaccines work at reducing severity. I just wish we would stop all the animosity and get our facts from the leading experts in the field, not from FB or political pundits who make a living off of spreading lies & misinformation. We sure could handle this all a lot better if we could just be United against the virus!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TexasRon said:

We don’t have any meaningful statistics on actual Covid counts on any ship at any time…people are tested once prior to boarding and that is it unless they feel bad and get tested again.  

I believe they were doing that(tested again mid cruise) in the beginning and there were way to many positives to continue  doing it because at that time there was a percentage that the CDC set,   If above that number The CDC told them they had to end the cruise and head back to port.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

20220511_213104.jpg

Kinda looks like a coffee cup from this angle😉

FWIW, Laura orders chicken noodle soup most nights for dinner. She asks for no chicken, no veg, extra noodle

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Grambler said:

It made sense (and no one was happier than me) to remove mask mandate (except in port embarkation) when numbers were down dramatically mid Feb, now that they are way up again, it would make sense to reinstate and not to loosen vaccine requirements IMO. It is tiresome when people look at this as an “all or nothing” thing and make it anything but a health issue which is fluid and restrictions should be as well. There is plenty of medically based evidence that masks work in cutting down spread and vaccines work at reducing severity. I just wish we would stop all the animosity and get our facts from the leading experts in the field, not from FB or political pundits who make a living off of spreading lies & misinformation. We sure could handle this all a lot better if we could just be United against the virus!

They could just shut cruising down again. I'm sure that would be far more effective than masking.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

No, but I did order some soup. It wasn’t good, but it did come in a soup container so I was disappointed it wasn’t in a coffee cup. It would have been more to post about. 😄 I do plan on posting pictures of my dinner because it was horrible and I can eat just about anything. I’ll order some tea today for lunch.

How are you feeling? Hope you and your hubby are getting better.

Still a bit up and down with the symptoms - woke up with an astounding headache this morning after coughing all night, but the headache and cough have eased a bit since getting up. I can partially breath through my nose this morning for the first time in a few days, so that's nice ☺️

My main concern at the moment is I'm hungry - we ordered breakfast more than 2 hours ago and it hasn't arrived. I just phoned room service again and apparently whoever tried to deliver has marked it down as no one in the room 🤷‍♀️

Like you, I've found the room service food quality a bit inconsistent. Finding most of the room service menu a bit salty. Have ordered the French onion soup from the main dining room a couple of times and once it had the bread and cheese, and once it was just the broth. Soup at least was hot, pretty much everything else has been cold. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have wondered the same as we have been sailing out Cape Liberty, NJ the past couple of months and hardly any cases on Anthem or Oasis that just starting summer sailings here.   Same for Baltimore Enchantment.   

Maybe most of these passengers drive to NJ and MD ports?  

I personally feel more comfortable on a ship than flying and having to navigate wall to wall people that I recently experienced at Orlando and Fort Lauderdale airports.  Flying home from those airports and going thru security was a nightmare.  Basically, one on top of another. plus the boarding process wasn't any easier.

I sailed this Easter on Anthem out of Bayonne with my son and family.  A couple of instances which I found a bit of concern. 

The Monday of that sail, the weather was plainly miserable.  Heavvy winds and rain.  Since this was my son + first time on this vessel, I wanted to give them a guided tour.  One of the stops was the Sea Plex followed by the indoor pool area.  What I saw probably would shock the CDC.  The bars were some 7-8 deep and the pool was filled with mostly kids and with hardly any area to swim.  But the bigger shock was seeing both adults and kids in the hot tubs.  Usually, I see maybe 8-10 at any given time, but what I saw was in the area of 20+ occupants.

The second incident was disembarking at Port Canaveral.   Anthem arrived about 11:30 and it took somewhere in the 45 minute range to get clearance to disembark.  I did not realize that disembarking would take place at the 5th deck.  Passengers began congregating as soon as we docked if not sooner.  I told my family to meet me at deck 5.  Not to exxagerate, but there were wall to wall passengers eager to get off.  The line(s) stretched way back to 2X70 and got even denser as more Paxs came down form stairs and elevators.  We were packed like sardines.  Some wore masks (I did) and many others did not.

It seemed like an eternity waiting for the disembarking process to begin.  Some Royal newbies kept asking those around if this was typical disembarking procedure at ports.  We kept saying no, but could not give any reasons for the bottleneck.     

We had a tour booked to the Kennedy Space Center and my son and his family got stuck on the stairs going down to the 5th deck.  They finally showed up at the meeting point some 25 minutes later than the assigned time of 12:45 PM.  The last bus had to wait for them.  I was getting concerned that we would not be able to make it.

From my standpoint, never encountered anything such this.  Personally, they should have issued tickets to families on first come, first served as they used to when tendering at ports without piers.

Also, they usually have Pax with tours disembark first.

Ps.  Anthem was sailing at about 80% capacity and with some 1,200 kids.  Did not hear or any instances of any Covid illnesses. 

Also, it was very windy the entire 7 days.  I usually jog around 5 AM as I'm an early riser and  nice not having to compete with anyone on the track.  On Tuesday, I began my exercise and when I got to the front of the ship, it was so windy that I could not make the incline and never made it to the other side.😁  I gave up and walked around the Royal Esplanades on deck 4 & 5.

• Like 3