Noise level on ships

Michidoeme

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Is it agreed that this is a problem on all Celebrity ships?  I had complaints about the Beyond.  But I didn’t spend time in the common areas long enough to see if it was a problem.

It is occasionaly a problem on most ships but not always and I've been on a few.

Edited by JBare
changed all to most
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orator said:

Pet peeve: People who loudly whistle in the theater. One person did this behind me and I had a ringing in my ears for several days. 

What did they say when you asked them to stop?

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I don’t agree it is a problem on all ships, as we’ve never experienced it nor heard people complain, that said we’ve never been on E class. On Equinox in September and will see if things have changed.  

Agree. Speaking only for myself, no issues on any of the class of ships (M,S and E) we've been on. The latest was March on the Apex. Never had a problem hearing conversation or being heard with others, no matter the venue. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Speaking only for myself, no issues on any of the class of ships (M,S and E) we've been on. The latest was March on the Apex. Never had a problem hearing conversation or being heard with others, no matter the venue. 

Just a quick question. Do you have hearing loss in both ears? If you have hearing aids, and can turn down the volume, do your hearing aids amplify all sound or just certain frequencies?.

Wondering because if that blast lowered the volume at which you hear things, I would think you would have a bit more empathy for people whose un-aided hearing is causing them to feel discomfort on the ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Just a quick question. Do you have hearing loss in both ears? If you have hearing aids, and can turn down the volume, do your hearing aids amplify all sound or just certain frequencies?.

Wondering because if that blast lowered the volume at which you hear things, I would think you would have a bit more empathy for people whose un-aided hearing is causing them to feel discomfort on the ship.

No problem. I do have hearing loss in both ears along with tinnitus. My hearing loss is at the higher frequencies. The volume in the ships venues doesn't bother me whether I'm wearing my hearing aids or not. I never adjust them either. What others think or believe isn't my concern as I (and my wife who doesn't have any hearing issues) personally don't consider the venues noisy. Others on this thread  have express theirs, and I have expressed mine. Just because I don't agree with them makes me wrong?  No! If those feel discomfort, that's between Celebrity and them. All subjective. 

The day Celebrity turn down the noise is the day we will start seeing threads on here complaining that they couldn’t hear the music, shows, etc, as it was too quiet. As DaveKathy said, you can’t possibly please everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

The day Celebrity turn down the noise is the day we will start seeing threads on here complaining that they couldn’t hear the music, shows, etc, as it was too quiet. As DaveKathy said, you can’t possibly please everyone.

You are probably right about that. But I'd rather have people complaining about something that doesn't adversely affect my health rather than something like loud noise, which does.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I can tell you that the last three Celebrity cruises we've been on have had very loud music just about everywhere - the atrium, the theater, the pool deck.  I LOVE music, all kinds of music but it's to the point that is no longer enjoyable.  In fact, they are messing with people's hearing and don't seem to care.  Another reason we currently do not have another Celebrity cruise booked.  

Our last three ships were Beyond, Reflection and Equinox in the past ten months.  On Beyond (our most recent Celebrity cruise) we were in a forward Sky Suite on Deck 10 and could hear the music from the pool deck on our veranda like the music was coming from next door.  It was impossible to sit on the veranda during the day for the loud music.  In fact, there would be no way we could sit on the pool deck during the day.

Bottom line is everyone who is annoyed by the overly loud music needs to let Guest Relations, know, write it on your ship evaluation and then write again to Celebrity headquarters when you are home.  Ultimately, stop cruising with them....that's what we've done until things start to change.  Love Celebrity's crew but far too many things have gone downhill.  I'm glad some are still finding everything enjoyable.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I have seen horrific videos of cruises ! That look like Springbreak in Cancun drinking contests going on ect !

Kids running everywhere and I was honestly dreading my first cruise !

We went on The Celebrity Beyond in April and it was Amazing .

I cannot even imagine going on a margaritaville , Overcrowded ship with children and teenagers running around !

That sounds nothing like a vacation to me !!!

Now I'm hearing that Celebrity is slipping and music is blaring !

Oh no !

We just booked for the newest ship in Aqua class going out of  Ft Lauderdale to St Kitts San Juan in April . This is because we thought so highly of Celebrity!

And I am throwing in a holiday one .

I'm definitely using that e mail !

I really loved everything about our first cruise! 

The mention of lack of kids running around was something that was nice .

Also there just seemed to be a nice class of people !

If you loved Beyond I think you can not go wrong. Maybe the music on board Beyond did not disturb you at all. So I would not be to worried. People have different noise level they can stomach.

My noise level seems to get more sensibel the older I get. In my mid 50´s now, but enjoyed the calmness and great guest, crew and everything about Celebrity when I did my first cruise with them 22 years ago ( the then brandnew Millenium)

All the complains about loud music- standards a bit slipping- cutbacks all over-  are true- but - STILL CELEBRITY IS OFFERING A GREAT CRUISE EXPERIENCE!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think people  get hearing problems from quiet. Or loud music .

I think sometimes the noise level cannot be relaxing .

But I'm just new here and looking for advice (if someone was asking someone) It is because it is a forum and they possibility thought you knew the answer because maybe they thought you cruised alot .

But It sounds like you might need to cruise more, for relaxation possibly ???

Or maybe I accidentally directed a question to the wrong person .Who knows .

The wsy this forum is set up is new to me 

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Back to the topic,well let’s hope noise is not an issue.

I couldn't agree more. Speaking of noise on the ships is why I stay away from the kid zones. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

First, I don't think Celebrity is becoming like Carnival.  I've been on Carnival once because I always believed you shouldn't say anything about something you haven't tried.  But there was literally a passenger riot in the guest relations area (I'm not making this up) and once was enough for me.  Celebrity has definitely not gone down that rabbit hole.  

But, I've been sailing Celebrity ships for more than 25 years and things have definitely changed.  You expect change over this period of time and for much of that time, changes were good.  I think Celebrity excelled with the launch of both the M-class and S-class ships (you can tell how far back I go).  But with the introduction of the Edge class, there was a distinctive change in the ship.  Many love them, some don't.  We're kind of in the middle but the things we loved on the M- and S-class ships are pretty much gone.  We liked the smaller, more intimate lounges where you could listen to music but didn't have to yell across the cocktail table to talk to your family or friend.  And choices of cabins with regular verandas are almost non-existent on the E-class ships.  

The other things that have changed, and I've noticed this fleet wide now (except for Summit when they first came back from the pandemic) is lower quality in food ship wide; cost cutting; the very, very loud music that permeates nearly all spaces on Celebrity ships today; fewer staff (I still love most of the staff but it is very noticeable that there are fewer staff than there used to be) which puts a bigger burden on the staff that is one ship; the unwillingness to enforce any type of rules (chair hogs, dress in the dining room at night....on our last Equinox cruise there was a person sitting below us with ripped jeans, a button down shirt opened almost to his waist and a backwards baseball cap); the endless promotions that want you to think you are getting the best deal ever which isn't true if you pay close attention.  The truth is, I don't care what people wear for the most part but if you are going to have rules then enforce them or drop them altogether.  For me, it's about respect and that seems to be gone a lot of the time.

On the comment that loud music doesn't cause hearing problems, the CDC disagrees.  Here's what they have to say: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hearing_loss/how_does_loud_noise_cause_hearing_loss.html#:~:text=Loud noise can damage cells,long as the exposure continues.  It's not just cruise ships ... it's everywhere: restaurants, airports, bars, beaches.  Even at guest relations, the DJ and/or bands in this area play so loud that you can't talk to the folks at guest relations without yelling at one another.  

We've tried Windstar and enjoyed it but you have to like small ships.  As time goes by, smaller ships seem to be a good thing for us.  It's all about how you choose to spend your money and what you enjoy.  While we will always love the crew we've become lifelong friends with from Celebrity, we're on a break for now.  Time will tell whether we'll be back.

To all sailing Celebrity ships, we hope you have a wonderful experience!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for all the information, Its best to learn from people who have been there and done it !

I watched many you tube videos and read many forums and we did pretty good for first time cruisers !

this time we know to upgrade our cabin and the importance of location on the ship!

I had no idea about the classes of ships , the S and M ?

I could not agree more about the staff on Celebrity!

I became friends with some and keep in touch also, they sure seem to love their jobs !

And maybe that is why they are so happy and friendly. 

I have only sailed once ! I am hooked .

We take like minded friends advice luckily and had a wonderful experience,but seeing  videos and just hearing about other cruise lines (such as the story above) is enough for me !

My husband did a behind the scenes tour on the Celebrity and loved it .

I am going to cruise as often as possible !

Am looking Into a holiday one ( possibly a smaller one as you mentioned above )

We are booked on the Celebrity Asent. 

Next April already .Since it's the only ship I have cruised on it can only get better from here hopefully!!

Come to think of it  We did stay out of the main pool area the whole time and did not go into the pool at all.I did get into one of the side pools  it was always crowded .

I was surprised how many people brought children ,so now that I think about it .a smaller less crowded  ship would be nice to experience !

The earlier cruises with this line must have been AMAZING 👏 

• 7 months later...

Three medical professionals stated the excessive Noise Pollution- called music -on the Celebrity Eclipse contributed my getting ill for a month after the cruise, they stated the noise pollution decreased the effectiveness of my auto immune system 

• Like 1

The issue on cruise ships and entertainment venues is that most of their sound engineers, entertainment staff, etc are usually under 30. As someone mentioned at beginning of thread, they like it loud, but they need to be reminded it’s not for them, it’s for the guests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freudianone said:

Three medical professionals stated the excessive Noise Pollution- called music -on the Celebrity Eclipse contributed my getting ill for a month after the cruise, they stated the noise pollution decreased the effectiveness of my auto immune system 

Are you serious?  What does one have to do with the other?

I found some loud music on the ship.  But not always and not everywhere.

Edited by zitsky