On Eclipse, captain Leo just mandated masks indoors

I left the 4/23 cruise not knowing there were any positive cases.

I have to wonder of knowing there are cases early on would have people reconsidering filling an elevator with 10+ people 😆 
We wore masks quite often indoors but towards the end of the cruise, we let our guard down. IMO it is relevant and important for those on the fence about masking and socially distancing to know people have tested positive.

Edited by lovecruzin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

I have to wonder of knowing there are cases early on would have people reconsidering filling an elevator with 10+ people 😆 
We wore masks quite often indoors but towards the end of the cruise, we let our guard down. IMO it is relevant and important for those on the fence about masking and socially distancing to know people have tested positive.

You should always assume some people around you are positive because at this stage they almost certainly are. There is no 100% guarantee for anything. Not even a 95% guarantee.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yup captain taking charge of situations is nice to hear.

I think masking should still be mandatory in doors for at least a few more months IMHO

I’m all for masking in indoor situations but on a cruise ship it almost becomes irrelevant if you then choose to eat in the dining rooms where you have to remove your mask to eat. I know there aren’t a lot of outdoor dining options onboard and room service is limited unless you are in an upper suite, but it is an assumed risk. This is one of the key reasons I won’t cruise right now (along with the quarantining requirements). I have been able to do multiple land trips where I can plan out dining in advance and target those places where I can dine outdoors or do take-out and then I wear a mask everywhere indoors where there are people around. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WeBcruisingMN said:

Curious and honest question:

What is the number of ‘enough cases’ where you would reinstate your people avoidance protocol?

Generally it is set at 3%.   On the cruises we have been on lately they start announcing covid cases when the are "Slightly over 1%". 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

You should always assume some people around you are positive because at this stage they almost certainly are. There is no 100% guarantee for anything. Not even a 95% guarantee.

Appreciate your advice 😏

Exactly why I chose to mask. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

THIS just baffles me and is unacceptable. As a loyal Celebrity guest (usually Retreat) I refuse to sail with them until this quarantining in inside/oceanview rooms stops. Depriving people of fresh air from a balcony while unable to leave the cabin is ridiculous. After reading Jim's ordeal with how he was treated just sealed it for me. 

Then don't cruise or buy a second cabin in the quarantine area up to your specs as a backup. 

• Like 2

I was on the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise prior (4/23) and tested pos on April 30 just as we arrived in Hilo. (just a runny nose and tickle in my throat)

Sent to isolation on deck three for 6 days.

We were supposed to stay on for the B2B but opted to get off which was a good call as I was still testing positive after the six days which meant another 5 or 6 in isolation.

We spent 6 nights in HNL and flew home to Canada

Was treated very well by X and will come close to being made whole by the time we're done.

Questions welcome.

VB

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Vectorboy said:

I was on the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise prior (4/23) and tested pos on April 30 just as we arrived in Hilo. (just a runny nose and tickle in my throat)

Sent to isolation on deck three for 6 days.

We were supposed to stay on for the B2B but opted to get off which was a good call as I was still testing positive after the six days which meant another 5 or 6 in isolation.

We spent 6 nights in HNL and flew home to Canada

Was treated very well by X and will come close to being made whole by the time we're done.

Questions welcome.

VB

We haven't started the claims process yet and will once we get home next week.  Did did you call in to file claim or send in the claim?

2 hours ago, Vectorboy said:

We also were on the April 23rd cruise and my husband tested positive on April 30 too. He was in isolation while I remained in our suite.  We also opted to depart in Honolulu to complete his isolation, spent some additional days to salvage the vacation and then flew home.

We left the ship with FCC for his period in isolation.  And since it would have been a B2B we also left the ship with FCC for the second leg.  The Suite Manager provided gave them to me on May 2nd (turnaround day was May 4).

• Like 1

Very sad situation this Covid issue. It'll be with us for some time to come, and I'm not saying days or months either. 2-3 years if not more. We all have to adapt in one way or another. Yes, wear the mask, and take your precautions. If your in the clan of not cruising until covid disappears, thats fine, but keep in mind that this issue may last for a couple of years, before and if, it ever goes away, at which point you might already be 6 feet under for some unrelated cause other than covid. Live for today, as tomorrow may never come.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We also were on the April 23rd cruise and my husband tested positive on April 30 too. He was in isolation while I remained in our suite.  We also opted to depart in Honolulu to complete his isolation, spent some additional days to salvage the vacation and then flew home.

We left the ship with FCC for his period in isolation.  And since it would have been a B2B we also left the ship with FCC for the second leg.  The Suite Manager provided gave them to me on May 2nd (turnaround day was May 4).

It sounds like you had a good Suites Manager.   When I tested positive the Suits Manager had no idea what was covered and what wasn't and handed me a pre-printed letter saying to contact customer engagement after I return home.  

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It sounds like you had a good Suites Manager.   When I tested positive the Suits Manager had no idea what was covered and what wasn't and handed me a pre-printed letter saying to contact customer engagement after I return home.  

Customer engagement tells us they provide $250 a day hotel and $100 per person per day for food for 5 days per Canada regulations. They emailed a form for the member of our group who tested positive.  

8 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

Very sad situation this Covid issue. It'll be with us for some time to come, and I'm not saying days or months either. 2-3 years if not more. We all have to adapt in one way or another. Yes, wear the mask, and take your precautions. If your in the clan of not cruising until covid disappears, thats fine, but keep in mind that this issue may last for a couple of years, before and if, it ever goes away, at which point you might already be 6 feet under for some unrelated cause other than covid. Live for today, as tomorrow may never come.

If everyone had common sense to comply, we could all do a lot more.  The mask refusal camp is going to drag this out soooo much longer.  Mask up indoors folks, it would  egg is either proper masks.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

I feel masks should have been mandatory from the get go.  They wouldn't be in such trouble now if they had been.  We spent a lot of time in our cabin on the Apr 23 cruise and we never went to the theatre at all.   We are happy to be home.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

Customer engagement tells us they provide $250 a day hotel and $100 per person per day for food for 5 days per Canada regulations. They emailed a form for the member of our group who tested positive.  

Thanks... They indicated the $250 per day and $100 per person but didn't indicate the number of days. Gives a good idea of what we can expect.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, lovecruzin said:

You pretty much have to assume there are positive cases onboard at this point. Whether the ship announces it or not, that's another story, but it's just so easily transmitted anywhere. But at least with ships sailing fully vaccinated, that ensures people should have mild symptoms if they do contract it. I avoid elevators on all the ships as much as I can, and when we do take them, we avoid the midship elevators as they are the busiest. 

From the earlier posts, I'm not sure the Captain needs to announce a daily count, something like that could be put into the corner of the daily newsletter for those who wish to be informed. 

When we sailed in November we wore masks but then didn't when we sailed in March. Depending on how cases are going, we'll decide whether to mask up in July. 

The fault lies with passengers acting like the pandemics over. We cruised in April and were onboard for  21 nights. We used the stairs most of the time  and if we had to use the elevator we masked up. We wore masks anywhere where it was busy i.e shops and when disembarking and socially distanced in the Theatre  and bars. Despite Covid on board we came home after 3 flights, one international , Covid free. I do feel the Captain should keep passengers informed of Covid numbers onboard but crowding into elevators etc is madness in a pandemic. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, harp0011 said:

Do you need to have purchased the cruise insurance for them to reimburse you for hotel and food prices for 5 days if you test positive? Or is that in the fare?

The policy has been slowly eliminating Celebrity's policy of covering hotels.   I believe any cruise beginning after tomorrow and cruise originated in Europe the second conditions will apply.

image.thumb.png.203413e467737a61d968bd1685229386.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

11 hours ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

If everyone had common sense to comply, we could all do a lot more.  The mask refusal camp is going to drag this out soooo much longer.  Mask up indoors folks, it would  egg is either proper masks.

I work with the public - I see people masking indoors, touching their faces, dropping their masks for others to pick up, it is rather disgusting.  Nope, I'm in the mask refusal camp unless I 'must comply'....apparently I have no common sense.  I'm ok with that.

• Like 6

On 5/15/2022 at 5:07 AM, WonderMan3 said:

I’m all for masking in indoor situations but on a cruise ship it almost becomes irrelevant if you then choose to eat in the dining rooms where you have to remove your mask to eat. I know there aren’t a lot of outdoor dining options onboard and room service is limited unless you are in an upper suite, but it is an assumed risk. This is one of the key reasons I won’t cruise right now (along with the quarantining requirements). I have been able to do multiple land trips where I can plan out dining in advance and target those places where I can dine outdoors or do take-out and then I wear a mask everywhere indoors where there are people around. 

well I do a lot of buffets and sit away from others.  Still masking for shows when folks are shoulder to shoulder as well as on bus tour does help.  Every little bit helps and that is all I am going for these days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The policy has been slowly eliminating Celebrity's policy of covering hotels.   I believe any cruise beginning after tomorrow and cruise originated in Europe the second conditions will apply.

image.thumb.png.203413e467737a61d968bd1685229386.png

Still get a chuckle out of the potential consequences of that second paragraph.

Our next cruise will indeed sail from the EU (out of Barcelona) before 30 November (31 October TA = BCN > FLL).  If one becomes positive during the TA, and has not yet had the requisite number of days in isolation to travel commercially to get home, taken at face value, one could stay aboard after reaching FLL.

However, in this instance, the prospect of remaining aboard afterward is ... er ... interesting ... given that the Reflection cruise following ours is a Bliss cruise! 😲 

• Haha 2